Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 139 40 41150 Next
LeeCalder

29 Apr 2020, 10:33 am #781
(29 Apr 2020, 10:07 am)6049 If this service was reintroduced it would almost certainly stay as the X88 which currently runs between Concord and the Metrocentre via the Galleries

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There's never been any demand for a MetroCentre bus from Sunderland, that's why the X88 has been carved up more times than a Christmas turkey.
LeeCalder
29 Apr 2020, 10:33 am #781

(29 Apr 2020, 10:07 am)6049 If this service was reintroduced it would almost certainly stay as the X88 which currently runs between Concord and the Metrocentre via the Galleries

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There's never been any demand for a MetroCentre bus from Sunderland, that's why the X88 has been carved up more times than a Christmas turkey.

Andreos1

29 Apr 2020, 10:43 am #782
(29 Apr 2020, 10:33 am)LeeCalder There's never been any demand for a MetroCentre bus from Sunderland, that's why the X88 has been carved up more times than a Christmas turkey.

Certain boards on the 183 started and ended in Sunderland (think they were more positioning runs more than anything) and the 188 ran to the Metrocentre too for a period.

Ultimately, I reckon it's easier, quicker and cheaper for the people of Sunderland to drive to the metrocentre - assuming they want to go there - rather than use a service which only covers a proportion of the population in and out of the city. For the majority, that means using a connection and I can't see that being too appealing.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Apr 2020, 10:43 am #782

(29 Apr 2020, 10:33 am)LeeCalder There's never been any demand for a MetroCentre bus from Sunderland, that's why the X88 has been carved up more times than a Christmas turkey.

Certain boards on the 183 started and ended in Sunderland (think they were more positioning runs more than anything) and the 188 ran to the Metrocentre too for a period.

Ultimately, I reckon it's easier, quicker and cheaper for the people of Sunderland to drive to the metrocentre - assuming they want to go there - rather than use a service which only covers a proportion of the population in and out of the city. For the majority, that means using a connection and I can't see that being too appealing.

29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm #783
I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed - before continuingas normal to the Metrocentre. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

However, given the current climate I'm well aware this would definitely be pie in the sky for the foreseeable future.
29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm #783

I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed - before continuingas normal to the Metrocentre. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

However, given the current climate I'm well aware this would definitely be pie in the sky for the foreseeable future.

cbma06

29 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm #784
(29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm)6049 I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

There used to be an express service between Sunderland and the galleries, but there’s no demand to have an express service these days between those 2 points, yes many years ago but not now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
29 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm #784

(29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm)6049 I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

There used to be an express service between Sunderland and the galleries, but there’s no demand to have an express service these days between those 2 points, yes many years ago but not now

Storx

29 Apr 2020, 12:29 pm #785
Surely anyone who wants to go from Sunderland to the Metro Centre would either go via the Metro and X66 or direct on the hourly train service. Both which would be much quicker than using a bus direct via Washington.
Storx
29 Apr 2020, 12:29 pm #785

Surely anyone who wants to go from Sunderland to the Metro Centre would either go via the Metro and X66 or direct on the hourly train service. Both which would be much quicker than using a bus direct via Washington.

Andreos1

29 Apr 2020, 12:57 pm #786
(29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm)6049 I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed - before continuingas normal to the Metrocentre. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

I wonder if it would detract from the 2s and the 8?
Saying that, I wonder if there is enough demand point to point for an express between Sunderland and Washington?
Whichever route it took between the two, it would still mean the vast majority of its passengers would need to use the bus to get to the town/city centres to use it anyway). 

There's been a few in the past (X2, X4, X6, X85 plus the Concord - Sunderland ones - X96?) which had a handful of calling points and they didn't last the test of time.

Andreos1
29 Apr 2020, 12:57 pm #786

(29 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm)6049 I agree, however potentially opening an express link to the Galleries from Sunderland could possibly a handy link for some people if properly marketed - before continuingas normal to the Metrocentre. Bringing it under X-Lines and running it throughout the week - even with a limited service for a trial period would be interesting. 

I wonder if it would detract from the 2s and the 8?
Saying that, I wonder if there is enough demand point to point for an express between Sunderland and Washington?
Whichever route it took between the two, it would still mean the vast majority of its passengers would need to use the bus to get to the town/city centres to use it anyway). 

There's been a few in the past (X2, X4, X6, X85 plus the Concord - Sunderland ones - X96?) which had a handful of calling points and they didn't last the test of time.

idiot

29 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm #787
I consider myself a green person but i wouldn't get any public transport to the metro centre. Just no room for shopping bags.

I believe concord was served by X95, Newcastle to Seaham? Via concord and Sunderland. Was a great bus service.
Edited 29 Apr 2020, 12:59 pm by idiot.
idiot
29 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm #787

I consider myself a green person but i wouldn't get any public transport to the metro centre. Just no room for shopping bags.

I believe concord was served by X95, Newcastle to Seaham? Via concord and Sunderland. Was a great bus service.

cbma06

29 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm #788
(29 Apr 2020, 12:57 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if it would detract from the 2s and the 8?

Service 8 used to be the X8, service 2 series used to be the X2, there’s no demand for an express service between Sunderland and Washington.

Yea the X95 used to go via Concord, X95 to Seaham Parkside and the X96 to Seaham Harbour but got extended to Peterlee when service 233 got withdrawn between Seaham and Peterlee, new every half hourly service X2 slowly killed off the X95 as GNE wanted all express services via Galleries

cbma06
29 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm #788

(29 Apr 2020, 12:57 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if it would detract from the 2s and the 8?

Service 8 used to be the X8, service 2 series used to be the X2, there’s no demand for an express service between Sunderland and Washington.

Yea the X95 used to go via Concord, X95 to Seaham Parkside and the X96 to Seaham Harbour but got extended to Peterlee when service 233 got withdrawn between Seaham and Peterlee, new every half hourly service X2 slowly killed off the X95 as GNE wanted all express services via Galleries

Andreos1

29 Apr 2020, 1:50 pm #789
(29 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm)cbma06 Service 8 used to be the X8, service 2 series used to be the X2, there’s no demand for an express service between Sunderland and Washington. 

Im not sure there's no demand for an express service between the two points, I just don't think it would work. 

Assuming you live in North Sunderland. It is still going to be quicker and easier to get a 56 and then a 4. Than it would be to go to Park Lane and come back on yourself. 
Someone, living in Fatfield but working in Sunderland City centre would probably find it quicker getting a 2 or an 8 all the way; than a bus to the Galleries and then wait for an express.

To make it quick, would mean limiting the number of places it stops. Which would then limit how many fares it would take on short hops, which could supplement the longer fares and boost viability. 

As attractive as it may be for some, I think any failure would be a legacy of the current network model.

Andreos1
29 Apr 2020, 1:50 pm #789

(29 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm)cbma06 Service 8 used to be the X8, service 2 series used to be the X2, there’s no demand for an express service between Sunderland and Washington. 

Im not sure there's no demand for an express service between the two points, I just don't think it would work. 

Assuming you live in North Sunderland. It is still going to be quicker and easier to get a 56 and then a 4. Than it would be to go to Park Lane and come back on yourself. 
Someone, living in Fatfield but working in Sunderland City centre would probably find it quicker getting a 2 or an 8 all the way; than a bus to the Galleries and then wait for an express.

To make it quick, would mean limiting the number of places it stops. Which would then limit how many fares it would take on short hops, which could supplement the longer fares and boost viability. 

As attractive as it may be for some, I think any failure would be a legacy of the current network model.

cbma06

29 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm #790
(29 Apr 2020, 1:50 pm)Andreos1 Im not sure there's no demand for an express service between the two points, I just don't think it would work. 

eh?

I think you read my post wrong, unless you replied to the wrong post

cbma06
29 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm #790

(29 Apr 2020, 1:50 pm)Andreos1 Im not sure there's no demand for an express service between the two points, I just don't think it would work. 

eh?

Andreos1

29 Apr 2020, 2:20 pm #791
(29 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm)cbma06 eh?

Lost me cbma

Andreos1
29 Apr 2020, 2:20 pm #791

(29 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm)cbma06 eh?

Lost me cbma

29 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm #792

I think the old Newcastle/Washington - Sunderland services started to suffer when the metro extension to Sunderland opened in 2002. They were very popular before then. Even still the X2 always seemed to have decent loadings, even until it was axed. If I remember rightly the Washington to Sunderlandpart of the X2 became was merged with the 773/4 and became the Silver Arrows 2A/C and was initially given a 10 minute frequency. I think there must be some demand for a Newcastle to Sunderland express service as Stagecoach's X24 has been going for a while now, so I think Go North East should never have scrapped the X2.
Washingtonian
29 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm #792

I think the old Newcastle/Washington - Sunderland services started to suffer when the metro extension to Sunderland opened in 2002. They were very popular before then. Even still the X2 always seemed to have decent loadings, even until it was axed. If I remember rightly the Washington to Sunderlandpart of the X2 became was merged with the 773/4 and became the Silver Arrows 2A/C and was initially given a 10 minute frequency. I think there must be some demand for a Newcastle to Sunderland express service as Stagecoach's X24 has been going for a while now, so I think Go North East should never have scrapped the X2.

Storx

29 Apr 2020, 8:12 pm #793
(29 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm)Washingtonian I think the old Newcastle/Washington - Sunderland services started to suffer when the metro extension to Sunderland opened in 2002. They were very popular before then. Even still the X2 always seemed to have decent loadings, even until it was axed. If I remember rightly the Washington to Sunderlandpart of the X2 became was merged with the 773/4 and became the Silver Arrows 2A/C and was initially given a 10 minute frequency. I think there must be some demand for a Newcastle to Sunderland express service as Stagecoach's X24 has been going for a while now, so I think Go North East should never have scrapped the X2.

I could imagine the biggest problem with a bus going from Sunderland to Newcastle is the opposite flow. There will be next to no demand for anyone wanting to use a GNE direct from Newcastle to Sunderland so you might have 20 people using the bus going in one direction if it's empty the other way then it's a bit pointless. GNE don't really have a network North or West of Newcastle and the places they do serve, the metro is there which is quicker.

Stagecoach on the otherhand have a network in the whole of the West End / parts of North Tyneside who may already have Tyne and Wear ticket so could use the bus for no extra cost otherwise it's only £3.50 or so more a week for Sunderland aswell who maybe tempted to use it.

It's a similar story with Metro Centre buses, it's all good having 20 people heading there, but that bus will travel back with no-one on for a few hours with a similar pattern the opposite way later in the day.
Storx
29 Apr 2020, 8:12 pm #793

(29 Apr 2020, 7:12 pm)Washingtonian I think the old Newcastle/Washington - Sunderland services started to suffer when the metro extension to Sunderland opened in 2002. They were very popular before then. Even still the X2 always seemed to have decent loadings, even until it was axed. If I remember rightly the Washington to Sunderlandpart of the X2 became was merged with the 773/4 and became the Silver Arrows 2A/C and was initially given a 10 minute frequency. I think there must be some demand for a Newcastle to Sunderland express service as Stagecoach's X24 has been going for a while now, so I think Go North East should never have scrapped the X2.

I could imagine the biggest problem with a bus going from Sunderland to Newcastle is the opposite flow. There will be next to no demand for anyone wanting to use a GNE direct from Newcastle to Sunderland so you might have 20 people using the bus going in one direction if it's empty the other way then it's a bit pointless. GNE don't really have a network North or West of Newcastle and the places they do serve, the metro is there which is quicker.

Stagecoach on the otherhand have a network in the whole of the West End / parts of North Tyneside who may already have Tyne and Wear ticket so could use the bus for no extra cost otherwise it's only £3.50 or so more a week for Sunderland aswell who maybe tempted to use it.

It's a similar story with Metro Centre buses, it's all good having 20 people heading there, but that bus will travel back with no-one on for a few hours with a similar pattern the opposite way later in the day.

Andreos1

30 Apr 2020, 9:21 am #794

Aye, there was the circular 773/774 which was an amalgamation of the 638 and 777 south of the river and the likes of the 184/185 on the north.
They then curtailed them to run south of the river only as the 73/74 and then not long after came up with the 2 series.
Even they were changed and butchered up before we see what we have now.

I can't remember when the X2 was axed (maybe it coincided with the arrival of the first lot of B9's on the X1).

Andreos1
30 Apr 2020, 9:21 am #794

Aye, there was the circular 773/774 which was an amalgamation of the 638 and 777 south of the river and the likes of the 184/185 on the north.
They then curtailed them to run south of the river only as the 73/74 and then not long after came up with the 2 series.

I can't remember when the X2 was axed (maybe it coincided with the arrival of the first lot of B9's on the X1).

pbjd

30 Apr 2020, 11:48 am #795
(30 Apr 2020, 9:21 am)Andreos1 Aye, there was the circular 773/774 which was an amalgamation of the 638 and 777 south of the river and the likes of the 184/185 on the north.

The X2 was axed when the 2A/2C were introduced wasn't it? With the X1 going every 10 minutes too?
pbjd
30 Apr 2020, 11:48 am #795

(30 Apr 2020, 9:21 am)Andreos1 Aye, there was the circular 773/774 which was an amalgamation of the 638 and 777 south of the river and the likes of the 184/185 on the north.

The X2 was axed when the 2A/2C were introduced wasn't it? With the X1 going every 10 minutes too?

S813 FVK

30 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm #796
I think there may have been a bit of overlap with the 2A/2C and X2. The attached suggests there was.

I've double checked timetables to confirm and the X2 and X8 ran the same route between the Galleries and Sunderland (current 8A route via Royal Hospital)
Attached Files
.pdf
2A2CSunderlandWashingtonOctober2008.pdf
Size 114.27 KB / Downloads 36
S813 FVK
30 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm #796

I think there may have been a bit of overlap with the 2A/2C and X2. The attached suggests there was.

I've double checked timetables to confirm and the X2 and X8 ran the same route between the Galleries and Sunderland (current 8A route via Royal Hospital)

Attached Files
.pdf
2A2CSunderlandWashingtonOctober2008.pdf
Size 114.27 KB / Downloads 36

Andreos1

30 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm #797
(30 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm)S813 FVK I think there may have been a bit of overlap with the 2A/2C and X2. The attached suggests there was.

The X2 was barely any quicker than the others between Sunderland and Washington according to the timetable. Must admit it seemed faster.

Andreos1
30 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm #797

(30 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm)S813 FVK I think there may have been a bit of overlap with the 2A/2C and X2. The attached suggests there was.

The X2 was barely any quicker than the others between Sunderland and Washington according to the timetable. Must admit it seemed faster.

Adrian

01 May 2020, 5:24 pm #798
(30 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm)Andreos1 The X2 was barely any quicker than the others between Sunderland and Washington according to the timetable. Must admit it seemed faster.

I think it took the quicker route in/out of Washington? Pretty much Hastings Hill roundabout > A19 > A1231 > Galleries > then current X1 route... the Waterview Park loop was added in later on, but cannot remember whether this was at all times or just the later runs?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 May 2020, 5:24 pm #798

(30 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm)Andreos1 The X2 was barely any quicker than the others between Sunderland and Washington according to the timetable. Must admit it seemed faster.

I think it took the quicker route in/out of Washington? Pretty much Hastings Hill roundabout > A19 > A1231 > Galleries > then current X1 route... the Waterview Park loop was added in later on, but cannot remember whether this was at all times or just the later runs?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

BoroLad

08 May 2020, 1:11 am #799
I'm not local to the area, so don't know if there'd be demand, but could a Consett - Tow Law - Crook - Bishop service work? The southern part would compete with Arriva which isn't ideal, but much of the route is quite an obvious gap in the bus network. The timings on current services along the corridor would indicate a journey time of about 58 minutes is possible - if you can shave a few minutes off you might be able to get away with a PVR of 2 for an hourly service. I would probably have it as part of the Venture network, numbered V7 or V8, because while it isn't a Consett town service, the V9 goes up to Chopwell but still forms part of the brand.

At present service 764 from Weardale is the nearest equivalent to this proposed route. However, this terminates in Wolsingham, a much less significant destination than Crook or Bishy, has a fairly sparse timetable, and doesn't have very much marketing. Would a more regular service to busier destinations be able to sustain itself?
BoroLad
08 May 2020, 1:11 am #799

I'm not local to the area, so don't know if there'd be demand, but could a Consett - Tow Law - Crook - Bishop service work? The southern part would compete with Arriva which isn't ideal, but much of the route is quite an obvious gap in the bus network. The timings on current services along the corridor would indicate a journey time of about 58 minutes is possible - if you can shave a few minutes off you might be able to get away with a PVR of 2 for an hourly service. I would probably have it as part of the Venture network, numbered V7 or V8, because while it isn't a Consett town service, the V9 goes up to Chopwell but still forms part of the brand.

At present service 764 from Weardale is the nearest equivalent to this proposed route. However, this terminates in Wolsingham, a much less significant destination than Crook or Bishy, has a fairly sparse timetable, and doesn't have very much marketing. Would a more regular service to busier destinations be able to sustain itself?

08 May 2020, 3:44 am #800
(08 May 2020, 1:11 am)BoroLad I'm not local to the area, so don't know if there'd be demand, but could a Consett - Tow Law - Crook - Bishop service work? The southern part would compete with Arriva which isn't ideal, but much of the route is quite an obvious gap in the bus network. The timings on current services along the corridor would indicate a journey time of about 58 minutes is possible - if you can shave a few minutes off you might be able to get away with a PVR of 2 for an hourly service. I would probably have it as part of the Venture network, numbered V7 or V8, because while it isn't a Consett town service, the V9 goes up to Chopwell but still forms part of the brand.

I've thought about that as well as it's straight up the A68 although I can't really see there being that much demand with there being sod all in between Tow Law and Consett (for most of the journey anyway) and very little reason for leisure trips between Bishop and Consett. I could only see it being viable as a commuter service in the mornings and evenings as I know a few people who do that commute. It'd be quite interesting to see the data for the people who currently do that journey (ie. X21 then X5/X15). I think I've only ever been to Consett once on the bus, and that was because it was the only Argos store to have what I wanted! 

If they were to introduce a service linking them I think it would be better off being branded as an Xlines service as most of the journey would be non-stop and would follow the same route you'd take in the car

I'd gladly take it over the X21 even if it takes longer because the views are quite nice (The A68 I mean, not Consett Tongue). It would also bring back a GNE connection between Bishop and Crook which would be very handy for me.

Then again, I would say there's probably little demand for a service between Hexham and Consett yet there is a service running between them, even if it is very infrequent (and by the looks of it subsidised). I mean, if they introduced a service between Hexham and Bishop that would probably be my new favourite route!
streetdeckfan
08 May 2020, 3:44 am #800

(08 May 2020, 1:11 am)BoroLad I'm not local to the area, so don't know if there'd be demand, but could a Consett - Tow Law - Crook - Bishop service work? The southern part would compete with Arriva which isn't ideal, but much of the route is quite an obvious gap in the bus network. The timings on current services along the corridor would indicate a journey time of about 58 minutes is possible - if you can shave a few minutes off you might be able to get away with a PVR of 2 for an hourly service. I would probably have it as part of the Venture network, numbered V7 or V8, because while it isn't a Consett town service, the V9 goes up to Chopwell but still forms part of the brand.

I've thought about that as well as it's straight up the A68 although I can't really see there being that much demand with there being sod all in between Tow Law and Consett (for most of the journey anyway) and very little reason for leisure trips between Bishop and Consett. I could only see it being viable as a commuter service in the mornings and evenings as I know a few people who do that commute. It'd be quite interesting to see the data for the people who currently do that journey (ie. X21 then X5/X15). I think I've only ever been to Consett once on the bus, and that was because it was the only Argos store to have what I wanted! 

If they were to introduce a service linking them I think it would be better off being branded as an Xlines service as most of the journey would be non-stop and would follow the same route you'd take in the car

I'd gladly take it over the X21 even if it takes longer because the views are quite nice (The A68 I mean, not Consett Tongue). It would also bring back a GNE connection between Bishop and Crook which would be very handy for me.

Then again, I would say there's probably little demand for a service between Hexham and Consett yet there is a service running between them, even if it is very infrequent (and by the looks of it subsidised). I mean, if they introduced a service between Hexham and Bishop that would probably be my new favourite route!

Pages (150) Previous 139 40 41150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average