Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 147 48 49150 Next
Andreos1

13 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm #941
Based on my comments earlier relating to the X1, I propose the following:
Changes to stopping arrangements between Easington Lane and Shiney Row. Revisions to route around the Galleries. 

Between Easington Lane and Shiney Row, the service will operate non-stop, apart from a handful of locations which fall in to the key destination category or unique section of route.
These stops are Easington Lane Clock, Hetton Interchange, Houghton Broadway, Kingdom Hall, Grasswell, Herrington Burn and Shiney Row. 
At the Galleries, drivers will have the option of picking from the 3 possible exit routes to the A182.
Southbound trips have the option of picking from one of the two possible exit routes from the A182. Technology, driver knowledge and control can assist with the best option to take. 
It will no longer stop at Wrekenton in either direction. 

Passengers boarding at any of the stops no-longer served by the X1, will be able to use their day/week/monthly tickets or buy an 'X1+1' single/return.
This ticket allows them to board an alternative service (such as the 55, 265 or 35 in the coalfields) between their stop and one of those listed above - for no extra cost.
This will also be on offer for those affected in Wrekenton, in both directions. For example, someone travelling on a relatively short trip between Wrekenton and the Galleries, could board a frequent 56 to Springwell and pick up the X1 from there. 

Other express routes could benefit from similar arrangements. As an example, the X70 will operate non-stop between the top of Lobley Hill and Gateshead.
The X45 will no longer stop at any of the stops between Swalwell and Newcastle bar the Metrocentre.
Similar '+1' tickets will be available for those travelling to/from stops no longer served.

I estimate that these changes will save several minutes from the overall journey time and inconvenience very few people. Those few who are affected, won't be impacted financially by these changes. 

Those travelling the greater distances, will benefit from shorter journey times and a perceived 'faster' journey.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm #941

Based on my comments earlier relating to the X1, I propose the following:
Changes to stopping arrangements between Easington Lane and Shiney Row. Revisions to route around the Galleries. 

Between Easington Lane and Shiney Row, the service will operate non-stop, apart from a handful of locations which fall in to the key destination category or unique section of route.
These stops are Easington Lane Clock, Hetton Interchange, Houghton Broadway, Kingdom Hall, Grasswell, Herrington Burn and Shiney Row. 
At the Galleries, drivers will have the option of picking from the 3 possible exit routes to the A182.
Southbound trips have the option of picking from one of the two possible exit routes from the A182. Technology, driver knowledge and control can assist with the best option to take. 

Passengers boarding at any of the stops no-longer served by the X1, will be able to use their day/week/monthly tickets or buy an 'X1+1' single/return.
This ticket allows them to board an alternative service (such as the 55, 265 or 35 in the coalfields) between their stop and one of those listed above - for no extra cost.
This will also be on offer for those affected in Wrekenton, in both directions. For example, someone travelling on a relatively short trip between Wrekenton and the Galleries, could board a frequent 56 to Springwell and pick up the X1 from there. 

Other express routes could benefit from similar arrangements. As an example, the X70 will operate non-stop between the top of Lobley Hill and Gateshead.
The X45 will no longer stop at any of the stops between Swalwell and Newcastle bar the Metrocentre.
Similar '+1' tickets will be available for those travelling to/from stops no longer served.

I estimate that these changes will save several minutes from the overall journey time and inconvenience very few people. Those few who are affected, won't be impacted financially by these changes. 

Those travelling the greater distances, will benefit from shorter journey times and a perceived 'faster' journey.

14 Sep 2020, 9:47 am #942
New service X2 Newcastle - Saltwell Park - Low Fell - Harlow Green - Washington Galleries -  Lambton - Harraton - Rickleton -  Chester-Le-Street - Plasworth - Frawellgate Moor - Whitesmocks  - Durham

New Services X11 & X12 Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - West Boldon - NON STOP - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee, then X11 all stops to Hartlepool & X12 all stops to Sedgefield.

New Services 923 & 924 (Peak Times Only)  Newcastle - Team Valley - Washington Galleries -  Concord (923) - Peel Retail Park (923) - Waterview Park (923) - Castletown (923) - Enterprise Park (923) - Southwick (923) - Sunderland (923) - Lambton (924) - Ayton (924) - Barley Mow (924) - Portobello (924) - Birtley (924) - Chester-Le-Street (924)

Merge 40 and 311.

New Service M1 Newcastle - Metrocentre - Swallwell - Rowlands Gill - Burnopfield - Hobson - Crookgate - Shield Row -  Stanley

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
14 Sep 2020, 9:47 am #942

New service X2 Newcastle - Saltwell Park - Low Fell - Harlow Green - Washington Galleries -  Lambton - Harraton - Rickleton -  Chester-Le-Street - Plasworth - Frawellgate Moor - Whitesmocks  - Durham

New Services X11 & X12 Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - West Boldon - NON STOP - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee, then X11 all stops to Hartlepool & X12 all stops to Sedgefield.

New Services 923 & 924 (Peak Times Only)  Newcastle - Team Valley - Washington Galleries -  Concord (923) - Peel Retail Park (923) - Waterview Park (923) - Castletown (923) - Enterprise Park (923) - Southwick (923) - Sunderland (923) - Lambton (924) - Ayton (924) - Barley Mow (924) - Portobello (924) - Birtley (924) - Chester-Le-Street (924)

Merge 40 and 311.

New Service M1 Newcastle - Metrocentre - Swallwell - Rowlands Gill - Burnopfield - Hobson - Crookgate - Shield Row -  Stanley

cbma06

14 Sep 2020, 10:23 am #943
I would of still split the X1 into a X1/X2, X1 normal route but every 20 minutes, X2 between Galleries and Gateshead would divert only stopping at Heworth then non stop to Concord then non stop to Galleries, from Shiney Row the X2 will run between Shiney row and Houghton via the 4 route, then same route as X1 upto Hetton Bus station with the X2 will terminate as there’s no need for a 10 minute service between Hetton-le-Hole and Easington Lane and there’s service 55 which runs along that route on a 30 minute service, service 4 will run back via the old 194 route to Houghton but via Burnside estate area and extend to Hall Lane, service X2 via Concord will get passengers going to Gateshead and Newcastle with faster journey times than boarding all stops service 56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
14 Sep 2020, 10:23 am #943

I would of still split the X1 into a X1/X2, X1 normal route but every 20 minutes, X2 between Galleries and Gateshead would divert only stopping at Heworth then non stop to Concord then non stop to Galleries, from Shiney Row the X2 will run between Shiney row and Houghton via the 4 route, then same route as X1 upto Hetton Bus station with the X2 will terminate as there’s no need for a 10 minute service between Hetton-le-Hole and Easington Lane and there’s service 55 which runs along that route on a 30 minute service, service 4 will run back via the old 194 route to Houghton but via Burnside estate area and extend to Hall Lane, service X2 via Concord will get passengers going to Gateshead and Newcastle with faster journey times than boarding all stops service 56.

big mac

14 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm #944
(13 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm)Andreos1 Based on my comments earlier relating to the X1, I propose the following:

How much time would really be saved by the x1 not stopping on Wrekenton High Street? I'd say on balance it might as well just keep stopping rather than overcomplicating things for passengers with new tickets to save a couple of minutes at the most.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
14 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm #944

(13 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm)Andreos1 Based on my comments earlier relating to the X1, I propose the following:

How much time would really be saved by the x1 not stopping on Wrekenton High Street? I'd say on balance it might as well just keep stopping rather than overcomplicating things for passengers with new tickets to save a couple of minutes at the most.

Storx

14 Sep 2020, 4:00 pm #945
(14 Sep 2020, 9:47 am)ASX_Terranova New service X2 Newcastle - Saltwell Park - Low Fell - Harlow Green - Washington Galleries -  Lambton - Harraton - Rickleton -  Chester-Le-Street - Plasworth - Frawellgate Moor - Whitesmocks  - Durham

Merge 40 and 311.

That X11/X12 should either be in the Arriva or Stagecoach forums imo. Definitely not one for GNE as it's not their area and it'll fail miserably.

Don't really see point in merging the 41(40) and 311 either it'll just double back on itself or miss half the route as it's current form and it doesn't really need deckers either. The Q3 (Battle Hill) and 42 (Rest of route) would be a better service to bung it on the end of imo.

The X12 (needs a different number for obv reason) probably wouldn't be a bad bet as an extension of the X21 as it gives the Trimdoms, Shotton Collery, Seaham and Wingate a direct bus to Newcastle but I'd probably only try it at peaks at first and run it the 23 route through Seaham so it's not too slow rejoining the A19 on Seaham Lane.
Storx
14 Sep 2020, 4:00 pm #945

(14 Sep 2020, 9:47 am)ASX_Terranova New service X2 Newcastle - Saltwell Park - Low Fell - Harlow Green - Washington Galleries -  Lambton - Harraton - Rickleton -  Chester-Le-Street - Plasworth - Frawellgate Moor - Whitesmocks  - Durham

Merge 40 and 311.

That X11/X12 should either be in the Arriva or Stagecoach forums imo. Definitely not one for GNE as it's not their area and it'll fail miserably.

Don't really see point in merging the 41(40) and 311 either it'll just double back on itself or miss half the route as it's current form and it doesn't really need deckers either. The Q3 (Battle Hill) and 42 (Rest of route) would be a better service to bung it on the end of imo.

The X12 (needs a different number for obv reason) probably wouldn't be a bad bet as an extension of the X21 as it gives the Trimdoms, Shotton Collery, Seaham and Wingate a direct bus to Newcastle but I'd probably only try it at peaks at first and run it the 23 route through Seaham so it's not too slow rejoining the A19 on Seaham Lane.

14 Sep 2020, 4:49 pm #946
Here is another x1 based idea.
Been trying to work out its max pvr, but keep getting different answers.

Also extend X22 to Newcastle and divert via Washington or my many times suggested X7 from Lanchester.
Attached Files
.pdf
i1 Timetable.pdf
Size 72.44 KB / Downloads 45
.xlsx
X7 Timetable.xlsx
Size 19.54 KB / Downloads 8

ASX_Terranova
14 Sep 2020, 4:49 pm #946

Here is another x1 based idea.
Been trying to work out its max pvr, but keep getting different answers.

Also extend X22 to Newcastle and divert via Washington or my many times suggested X7 from Lanchester.

Attached Files
.pdf
i1 Timetable.pdf
Size 72.44 KB / Downloads 45
.xlsx
X7 Timetable.xlsx
Size 19.54 KB / Downloads 8

14 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm #947
Improved Service 33 Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International

New Service 33A Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International - The Herringtons - Newbottle - Success - Houghton-Le-Spring

New Service 33B Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International - The Herringtons - Shiney Row - Biddick Woods - Washington Galleries.

Every 15 mins between Sunderland, Silksworth & Doxford Park, Every 30 mins between Sunderland and The Herringtons, Hourly to Washington or Houghton

ASX_Terranova
14 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm #947

Improved Service 33 Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International

New Service 33A Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International - The Herringtons - Newbottle - Success - Houghton-Le-Spring

New Service 33B Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International - The Herringtons - Shiney Row - Biddick Woods - Washington Galleries.

Every 15 mins between Sunderland, Silksworth & Doxford Park, Every 30 mins between Sunderland and The Herringtons, Hourly to Washington or Houghton

cbma06

14 Sep 2020, 5:42 pm #948
(14 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm)ASX_Terranova Improved Service 33 Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International

Your 33A and 33B 90% of your suggestion route been done before as the 37/38 and failed

cbma06
14 Sep 2020, 5:42 pm #948

(14 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm)ASX_Terranova Improved Service 33 Sunderland - Silksworth - Doxford Park - Doxford International

Your 33A and 33B 90% of your suggestion route been done before as the 37/38 and failed

Andreos1

14 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm #949
(14 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm)big mac How much time would really be saved by the x1 not stopping on Wrekenton High Street?  I'd say on balance it might as well just keep stopping rather than overcomplicating things for passengers with new tickets to save a couple of minutes at the most.

I reckon a good few minutes in both directions. 
Heading north, the in, stop and inevitable wait at the lights can be painful. I also think that Wrekenton is covered by more than enough alternatives. 

Heading south, a quick left at the end of the bus lane would save a few minutes too. Versus the stop and the waiting to get out at the far end of the club. That right hand turn is at the whim of a speed bump down the road, a gap in the traffic coming from the lights.

Andreos1
14 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm #949

(14 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm)big mac How much time would really be saved by the x1 not stopping on Wrekenton High Street?  I'd say on balance it might as well just keep stopping rather than overcomplicating things for passengers with new tickets to save a couple of minutes at the most.

I reckon a good few minutes in both directions. 
Heading north, the in, stop and inevitable wait at the lights can be painful. I also think that Wrekenton is covered by more than enough alternatives. 

Heading south, a quick left at the end of the bus lane would save a few minutes too. Versus the stop and the waiting to get out at the far end of the club. That right hand turn is at the whim of a speed bump down the road, a gap in the traffic coming from the lights.

14 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm #950
(14 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm)Andreos1 I reckon a good few minutes in both directions. 

What about another service that avoids the entire old durham road corridor and gateshead interchange. Like old X92/X93 maybe or my earlier i1 idea.

ASX_Terranova
14 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm #950

What about another service that avoids the entire old durham road corridor and gateshead interchange. Like old X92/X93 maybe or my earlier i1 idea.

big mac

14 Sep 2020, 7:41 pm #951

If they did do that I think they would have to increase the frequency of the 56 at the same time, bearing in mind it's still only every 15 minutes at the moment even though the majority of services have returned to their pre-lockdown daytime frequency.

big mac
14 Sep 2020, 7:41 pm #951

If they did do that I think they would have to increase the frequency of the 56 at the same time, bearing in mind it's still only every 15 minutes at the moment even though the majority of services have returned to their pre-lockdown daytime frequency.

Andreos1

14 Sep 2020, 7:54 pm #952
(14 Sep 2020, 7:41 pm)big mac If they did do that I think they would have to increase the frequency of the 56 at the same time, bearing in mind it's still only every 15 minutes at the moment even though the majority of services have returned to their pre-lockdown daytime frequency.

No idea to be fair. 
With the X1 PVR reduced and the timetable tweaked and the 56 being every 15 mins, I wonder if the timetables could be synced so that connection times are limited.

(14 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm)ASX_Terranova What about another service that avoids the entire old durham road corridor and gateshead interchange. Like old X92/X93 maybe or my earlier i1 idea.

I didn't look at your i1 idea to be honest. But if there's enough demand, then I can't see why it couldn't work.
The thing about Gateshead is the connection with the likes of the X66. Not all of the punters on Newcastle bound service will be wanting to avoid Gateshead.
Edited 14 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
14 Sep 2020, 7:54 pm #952

(14 Sep 2020, 7:41 pm)big mac If they did do that I think they would have to increase the frequency of the 56 at the same time, bearing in mind it's still only every 15 minutes at the moment even though the majority of services have returned to their pre-lockdown daytime frequency.

No idea to be fair. 
With the X1 PVR reduced and the timetable tweaked and the 56 being every 15 mins, I wonder if the timetables could be synced so that connection times are limited.

(14 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm)ASX_Terranova What about another service that avoids the entire old durham road corridor and gateshead interchange. Like old X92/X93 maybe or my earlier i1 idea.

I didn't look at your i1 idea to be honest. But if there's enough demand, then I can't see why it couldn't work.
The thing about Gateshead is the connection with the likes of the X66. Not all of the punters on Newcastle bound service will be wanting to avoid Gateshead.

14 Sep 2020, 8:09 pm #953
(14 Sep 2020, 7:54 pm)Andreos1 I didn't look at your i1 idea to be honest. But if there's enough demand, then I can't see why it couldn't work.

You still have the X45/6/7 (X-Lines+Ticket) and the 10's or you could go via metrocentre directly.  I always change at eldon square when going from metrocentre to guarrentee a seat on X1.

The i1 idea would also replace the 54 between newcastle and saltwell park then low fell, harlow green, A1, A1231, washington galleries, then X1 to Easington Lane.

ASX_Terranova
14 Sep 2020, 8:09 pm #953

(14 Sep 2020, 7:54 pm)Andreos1 I didn't look at your i1 idea to be honest. But if there's enough demand, then I can't see why it couldn't work.

You still have the X45/6/7 (X-Lines+Ticket) and the 10's or you could go via metrocentre directly.  I always change at eldon square when going from metrocentre to guarrentee a seat on X1.

The i1 idea would also replace the 54 between newcastle and saltwell park then low fell, harlow green, A1, A1231, washington galleries, then X1 to Easington Lane.

Storx

14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm #954

Surely the purpose of the X1 stopping at Wrekenton is to offer a link between there and Washington and the South end of the route since it's a hub where you could connect to other services to Low Fell or wherever rather than towards Newcastle?

Seriously though I don't mean this nastily but surely people can't complain about a bus service every 12 minutes from Hetton which is 17 mile away from Newcastle when there's places much closer ie. large areas of Washington without any service at all and takes the same amount of time once you've messed around changing buses.

Washington really has a crap service for the size of the place unless you don't mind getting a local bus then changing at the Galleries which to be blunt most commuters wont.

--------------------

Personally I'd look at a new loop service such as https://goo.gl/maps/qXmntQq8eBBMxA6u6 which will be a replacement for the 25, 925, 56 (Part), X1 (Part), X1A, 81, 82, 85, 86.

51 - Above Route Clockwise - Every 20 Mins
52 - Above Route Anti Clockwise - Every 20 Mins
-> Combined Every 10 Mins Sheriff Hill

Then do the following changes

X56 - Current 56 to Springwell then current X1 to Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes) Not sure on usage but if busy, have shorts on Eastern Section.
X1 - Current X1 Easington Lane to Washington then A1231, Eighton Banks (Serve Here), Wrekenton, current X1 to Newcastle (Every 15/20 Minutes - Not sure on popularity)
21A - Extend 2 of the 21 shorts 25 Route south of Chester Le Street (Every 30 Minutes)
80 - Current 82 Birtley to Washington, 83 To Concord (Every 30 Minutes Washington to Concord, Hourly to Birtley)
81 - 84 (Every 30 Minutes)

Creates all sorts of new connections from Washington to Newcastle and Gateshead without changing and makes the 56 quicker from Concord and Sunderland at the same time and fixes the stupid 925 issue.
Storx
14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm #954

Surely the purpose of the X1 stopping at Wrekenton is to offer a link between there and Washington and the South end of the route since it's a hub where you could connect to other services to Low Fell or wherever rather than towards Newcastle?

Seriously though I don't mean this nastily but surely people can't complain about a bus service every 12 minutes from Hetton which is 17 mile away from Newcastle when there's places much closer ie. large areas of Washington without any service at all and takes the same amount of time once you've messed around changing buses.

Washington really has a crap service for the size of the place unless you don't mind getting a local bus then changing at the Galleries which to be blunt most commuters wont.

--------------------

Personally I'd look at a new loop service such as https://goo.gl/maps/qXmntQq8eBBMxA6u6 which will be a replacement for the 25, 925, 56 (Part), X1 (Part), X1A, 81, 82, 85, 86.

X56 - Current 56 to Springwell then current X1 to Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes) Not sure on usage but if busy, have shorts on Eastern Section.
X1 - Current X1 Easington Lane to Washington then A1231, Eighton Banks (Serve Here), Wrekenton, current X1 to Newcastle (Every 15/20 Minutes - Not sure on popularity)
21A - Extend 2 of the 21 shorts 25 Route south of Chester Le Street (Every 30 Minutes)
80 - Current 82 Birtley to Washington, 83 To Concord (Every 30 Minutes Washington to Concord, Hourly to Birtley)

Creates all sorts of new connections from Washington to Newcastle and Gateshead without changing and makes the 56 quicker from Concord and Sunderland at the same time and fixes the stupid 925 issue.

big mac

15 Sep 2020, 8:22 am #955
(14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm)Storx X56 - Current 56 to Springwell then current X1 to Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes) Not sure on usage but if busy, have shorts on Eastern Section.

There should be a short service serving Old Durham Road as it's much the same issue as the 21 on Durham Road at the moment.
You've got a corridor that is too reliant on a long route subject to potentially loads of different delays along the way.
On Durham Road it's a bit better than before now that more 21s are Newcastle to Chester only, and you've got the X21 supplementing it for people are traveling further.
Old Durham Road and the 56 should follow a similar model, perhaps more like the "old days" when they had a high frequency Newcastle to Springwell Estate route. Although this seems to be something GNE just do not do nowadays.

big mac
15 Sep 2020, 8:22 am #955

(14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm)Storx X56 - Current 56 to Springwell then current X1 to Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes) Not sure on usage but if busy, have shorts on Eastern Section.

There should be a short service serving Old Durham Road as it's much the same issue as the 21 on Durham Road at the moment.
You've got a corridor that is too reliant on a long route subject to potentially loads of different delays along the way.
On Durham Road it's a bit better than before now that more 21s are Newcastle to Chester only, and you've got the X21 supplementing it for people are traveling further.
Old Durham Road and the 56 should follow a similar model, perhaps more like the "old days" when they had a high frequency Newcastle to Springwell Estate route. Although this seems to be something GNE just do not do nowadays.

Andreos1

15 Sep 2020, 9:32 am #956
(14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm)Storx Surely the purpose of the X1 stopping at Wrekenton is to offer a link between there and Washington and the South end of the route since it's a hub where you could connect to other services to Low Fell or wherever rather than towards Newcastle?

--------------------

I agree about your comments on Washington, however the purpose of the X1 is to provide more than just a bus from Hetton to Newcastle. It's the sort out route which is core to the current GNE operating model in that it crosses through several hubs and sees a significant number of people (I do think it could be more) who do commute towards Tyneside. 

However, I don't think Wrekenton forms one of those hubs. Granted some will use it to change buses, but I reckon others will use a formal interchange facility which provides better facilities and a roof. 

The problem with the X1 as it stands, is that it's used as a local service in the coalfields. If you're in Easington Lane and needing to get to the shops in Hetton, punters will get the X1 or 55. If the 55 isn't reaching its potential financially in this section, then the X1 could be one reason why.
For those commuting further afield from the coalfields, there's very little incentive to use the X1 as it stands due to the cost and journey times. 
Add the fact that it's just as quick to get a metro from Newcastle and a 4 to the Galleries as it is to get an X1 all the way, confirms that the northern portion isn't the fastest either - despite the bus priority measures coming out of Newcastle and up Old Durham Road. 

I like your suggestion about using Eighton Banks. I don't think the residents would though. They complained bitterly when it went that way for a short period in the past.

Andreos1
15 Sep 2020, 9:32 am #956

(14 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm)Storx Surely the purpose of the X1 stopping at Wrekenton is to offer a link between there and Washington and the South end of the route since it's a hub where you could connect to other services to Low Fell or wherever rather than towards Newcastle?

--------------------

I agree about your comments on Washington, however the purpose of the X1 is to provide more than just a bus from Hetton to Newcastle. It's the sort out route which is core to the current GNE operating model in that it crosses through several hubs and sees a significant number of people (I do think it could be more) who do commute towards Tyneside. 

However, I don't think Wrekenton forms one of those hubs. Granted some will use it to change buses, but I reckon others will use a formal interchange facility which provides better facilities and a roof. 

The problem with the X1 as it stands, is that it's used as a local service in the coalfields. If you're in Easington Lane and needing to get to the shops in Hetton, punters will get the X1 or 55. If the 55 isn't reaching its potential financially in this section, then the X1 could be one reason why.
For those commuting further afield from the coalfields, there's very little incentive to use the X1 as it stands due to the cost and journey times. 
Add the fact that it's just as quick to get a metro from Newcastle and a 4 to the Galleries as it is to get an X1 all the way, confirms that the northern portion isn't the fastest either - despite the bus priority measures coming out of Newcastle and up Old Durham Road. 

I like your suggestion about using Eighton Banks. I don't think the residents would though. They complained bitterly when it went that way for a short period in the past.

Storx

15 Sep 2020, 10:26 am #957
(15 Sep 2020, 8:22 am)big mac There should be a short service serving Old Durham Road as it's much the same issue as the 21 on Durham Road at the moment.
Old Durham Road and the 56 should follow a similar model, perhaps more like the "old days" when they had a high frequency Newcastle to Springwell Estate route.  Although this seems to be something GNE just do not do nowadays.

Yeah I agree. My idea was for the 51 / 52 to be the main Sheriff Hill buses though and then them to go onto the serve areas of Washington and Birtley on routes which aren't so profitable (Harlow Green) or have a pretty poor service really (Washington) by removing the locals and giving them a service they just don't have currently. Should make the route profitable in the sense that the Sheriff Hill will per say top up the rest of the route and make the whole thing profitable and with a more frequent service and better buses it might come attractive throughout especially in the East Birtley and Washington areas which let's be fair have a pretty poor service.

Then you'd have the X56 going express for places like Concord and Sunderland instead of them sitting on a bus which stops at every bus stop up the hill and feels like a right chore and also gives a slightly quicker service on the 25 south of Chester Le Street since it's not going around Birtley and Gateshead anymore. Wins for everyone even known there's a frequency reduction on the 56 but just make it X-Lines and that'll hide that not to mention it does the last link in the X-Lines network which doesn't exist Sunderland -> Newcastle.

(15 Sep 2020, 9:32 am)Andreos1 I agree about your comments on Washington, however the purpose of the X1 is to provide more than just a bus from Hetton to Newcastle. It's the sort out route which is core to the current GNE operating model in that it crosses through several hubs and sees a significant number of people (I do think it could be more) who do commute towards Tyneside. 

Yeah understand that then makes sense, maybe one way to possibly speed it up is to have the local service ie the 55 try to be pushed a bit more to try and get people who do local journeys on there. Possibly even change the 55 around a bit and have a route Houghton to Peterlee (every 30 mins) extended to Wingate every hour. Then a second service from South Hetton to Sunderland also every 30 minutes with a core service of every 15 minutes through the centre between Hetton and Houghton to try and promote local journeys on the more frequent 55 and 55A (or whatever number) so the X1 can be more express and not stop as much for those wanting to go all the way through to Newcastle or wherever. It's still 7 buses an hour just trying to push people onto the opposite service rather than the X1 being the main local service.

Try and train people to think of the sense of right the 55 is the frequent service to Houghton and also to Sunderland, the X1 is the service for Washington and Newcastle rather than the 55 is the bus to Sunderland and the X1 is the service for everywhere else.
Storx
15 Sep 2020, 10:26 am #957

(15 Sep 2020, 8:22 am)big mac There should be a short service serving Old Durham Road as it's much the same issue as the 21 on Durham Road at the moment.
Old Durham Road and the 56 should follow a similar model, perhaps more like the "old days" when they had a high frequency Newcastle to Springwell Estate route.  Although this seems to be something GNE just do not do nowadays.

Yeah I agree. My idea was for the 51 / 52 to be the main Sheriff Hill buses though and then them to go onto the serve areas of Washington and Birtley on routes which aren't so profitable (Harlow Green) or have a pretty poor service really (Washington) by removing the locals and giving them a service they just don't have currently. Should make the route profitable in the sense that the Sheriff Hill will per say top up the rest of the route and make the whole thing profitable and with a more frequent service and better buses it might come attractive throughout especially in the East Birtley and Washington areas which let's be fair have a pretty poor service.

Then you'd have the X56 going express for places like Concord and Sunderland instead of them sitting on a bus which stops at every bus stop up the hill and feels like a right chore and also gives a slightly quicker service on the 25 south of Chester Le Street since it's not going around Birtley and Gateshead anymore. Wins for everyone even known there's a frequency reduction on the 56 but just make it X-Lines and that'll hide that not to mention it does the last link in the X-Lines network which doesn't exist Sunderland -> Newcastle.

(15 Sep 2020, 9:32 am)Andreos1 I agree about your comments on Washington, however the purpose of the X1 is to provide more than just a bus from Hetton to Newcastle. It's the sort out route which is core to the current GNE operating model in that it crosses through several hubs and sees a significant number of people (I do think it could be more) who do commute towards Tyneside. 

Yeah understand that then makes sense, maybe one way to possibly speed it up is to have the local service ie the 55 try to be pushed a bit more to try and get people who do local journeys on there. Possibly even change the 55 around a bit and have a route Houghton to Peterlee (every 30 mins) extended to Wingate every hour. Then a second service from South Hetton to Sunderland also every 30 minutes with a core service of every 15 minutes through the centre between Hetton and Houghton to try and promote local journeys on the more frequent 55 and 55A (or whatever number) so the X1 can be more express and not stop as much for those wanting to go all the way through to Newcastle or wherever. It's still 7 buses an hour just trying to push people onto the opposite service rather than the X1 being the main local service.

Try and train people to think of the sense of right the 55 is the frequent service to Houghton and also to Sunderland, the X1 is the service for Washington and Newcastle rather than the 55 is the bus to Sunderland and the X1 is the service for everywhere else.

15 Sep 2020, 10:45 am #958
(15 Sep 2020, 10:26 am)Storx Yeah understand that then makes sense, maybe one way to possibly speed it up is to have the local service ie the 55 try to be pushed a bit more to try and get people who do local journeys on there. Possibly even change the 55 around a bit and have a route Houghton to Peterlee (every 30 mins) extended to Wingate every hour. Then a second service from South Hetton to Sunderland also every 30 minutes with a core service of every 15 minutes through the centre between Hetton and Houghton to try and promote local journeys on the more frequent 55 and 55A (or whatever number) so the X1 can be more express and not stop as much for those wanting to go all the way through to Newcastle or wherever. It's still 7 buses an hour just trying to push people onto the opposite service rather than the X1 being the main local service.

The 55 is a problem between Houghton and Easington Lane, despite it going the exact same way as the X1 a lot of people don't seem to care and let it go past. You see it quite often, a 55 sitting at Houghton Church heading towards Peterlee, with some people waiting at the stop, the 55 pulls away, and an X1 pulls and the people get on that. Personally seems mad to me, even with the new Streetdecks being introduced, but I see that on multiple routes across the North East, people only ever seem to get on the frequent service, even when a less frequent service goes the same way.
deanmachine
15 Sep 2020, 10:45 am #958

(15 Sep 2020, 10:26 am)Storx Yeah understand that then makes sense, maybe one way to possibly speed it up is to have the local service ie the 55 try to be pushed a bit more to try and get people who do local journeys on there. Possibly even change the 55 around a bit and have a route Houghton to Peterlee (every 30 mins) extended to Wingate every hour. Then a second service from South Hetton to Sunderland also every 30 minutes with a core service of every 15 minutes through the centre between Hetton and Houghton to try and promote local journeys on the more frequent 55 and 55A (or whatever number) so the X1 can be more express and not stop as much for those wanting to go all the way through to Newcastle or wherever. It's still 7 buses an hour just trying to push people onto the opposite service rather than the X1 being the main local service.

The 55 is a problem between Houghton and Easington Lane, despite it going the exact same way as the X1 a lot of people don't seem to care and let it go past. You see it quite often, a 55 sitting at Houghton Church heading towards Peterlee, with some people waiting at the stop, the 55 pulls away, and an X1 pulls and the people get on that. Personally seems mad to me, even with the new Streetdecks being introduced, but I see that on multiple routes across the North East, people only ever seem to get on the frequent service, even when a less frequent service goes the same way.

Andreos1

15 Sep 2020, 11:46 am #959
(15 Sep 2020, 10:45 am)deanmachine The 55 is a problem between Houghton and Easington Lane, despite it going the exact same way as the X1 a lot of people don't seem to care and let it go past. You see it quite often, a 55 sitting at Houghton Church heading towards Peterlee, with some people waiting at the stop, the 55 pulls away, and an X1 pulls and the people get on that. Personally seems mad to me, even with the new Streetdecks being introduced, but I see that on multiple routes across the North East, people only ever seem to get on the frequent service, even when a less frequent service goes the same way.

I bet a few people boarding that X1, got off a 20 from Sunderland too.

From experience, it was similar when the 35 was frequent and went all the way along Hetton Road. 
People would get off a 20, wait and then board a 35 for the final few miles of their journey towards Hetton.

Andreos1
15 Sep 2020, 11:46 am #959

(15 Sep 2020, 10:45 am)deanmachine The 55 is a problem between Houghton and Easington Lane, despite it going the exact same way as the X1 a lot of people don't seem to care and let it go past. You see it quite often, a 55 sitting at Houghton Church heading towards Peterlee, with some people waiting at the stop, the 55 pulls away, and an X1 pulls and the people get on that. Personally seems mad to me, even with the new Streetdecks being introduced, but I see that on multiple routes across the North East, people only ever seem to get on the frequent service, even when a less frequent service goes the same way.

I bet a few people boarding that X1, got off a 20 from Sunderland too.

From experience, it was similar when the 35 was frequent and went all the way along Hetton Road. 
People would get off a 20, wait and then board a 35 for the final few miles of their journey towards Hetton.

big mac

15 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm #960
The exact same thing happens in Low Fell towards Newcastle. People let the 25 go past and get on a 21, even though the 25 does the exact same route and serves all the same stops. Is it just lack of awareness that the route goes where they want it to just because it doesn't have a "brand"?

big mac
15 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm #960

The exact same thing happens in Low Fell towards Newcastle. People let the 25 go past and get on a 21, even though the 25 does the exact same route and serves all the same stops. Is it just lack of awareness that the route goes where they want it to just because it doesn't have a "brand"?

Pages (150) Previous 147 48 49150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average