Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 197 98 99150 Next
MurdnunoC

03 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm #1,941
(03 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm)Adrian There's already a service that runs Houghton, Newbottle, Herrington Burn, Shiney Row and non stop to the Galleries - the X1. Not sure what you'd achieve by duplicating that throughout?

I can't see the Follinsby stuff changing anytime soon, given all the partnership work that GNE have been promoting with Amazon. It hardly sets the right message to then reduce the frequency in half, without barely giving it a chance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What about an Amazon - Kingston Park service? Do you think that would work?
MurdnunoC
03 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm #1,941

(03 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm)Adrian There's already a service that runs Houghton, Newbottle, Herrington Burn, Shiney Row and non stop to the Galleries - the X1. Not sure what you'd achieve by duplicating that throughout?

I can't see the Follinsby stuff changing anytime soon, given all the partnership work that GNE have been promoting with Amazon. It hardly sets the right message to then reduce the frequency in half, without barely giving it a chance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What about an Amazon - Kingston Park service? Do you think that would work?

mb134

03 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm #1,942
(03 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm)MurdnunoC What about an Amazon - Kingston Park service? Do you think that would work?

Depends on what's shown on the destination display. "Bezos' Palace" might work, but if you're leaving Kingston Park displaying "Amazon" it could cause confusion given the Metro link to the rainforest.
mb134
03 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm #1,942

(03 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm)MurdnunoC What about an Amazon - Kingston Park service? Do you think that would work?

Depends on what's shown on the destination display. "Bezos' Palace" might work, but if you're leaving Kingston Park displaying "Amazon" it could cause confusion given the Metro link to the rainforest.

03 Jan 2022, 11:37 pm #1,943
I'm not saying decrease the 4's overall frequency I just think some extra peak time only journeys could be introduced.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
03 Jan 2022, 11:37 pm #1,943

I'm not saying decrease the 4's overall frequency I just think some extra peak time only journeys could be introduced.

Storx

03 Jan 2022, 11:42 pm #1,944
For the Amazon issue, you could just send the 58 towards Follingsby rather than Heworth. Instead of turning left at Fewster Square head right along Meresyde and Lingley Lane. It would give a few areas a new bus service to Newcastle aswell or a quicker service which doesn't take an hour.

There's the 57 which has recently been increased in frequency doing the links to Heworth or the 51/52 and 93/94 depending where you are in the route, can't see anywhere really losing out.
Storx
03 Jan 2022, 11:42 pm #1,944

For the Amazon issue, you could just send the 58 towards Follingsby rather than Heworth. Instead of turning left at Fewster Square head right along Meresyde and Lingley Lane. It would give a few areas a new bus service to Newcastle aswell or a quicker service which doesn't take an hour.

There's the 57 which has recently been increased in frequency doing the links to Heworth or the 51/52 and 93/94 depending where you are in the route, can't see anywhere really losing out.

MurdnunoC

04 Jan 2022, 11:02 am #1,945
(03 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm)mb134 Depends on what's shown on the destination display. "Bezos' Palace" might work, but if you're leaving Kingston Park displaying "Amazon" it could cause confusion given the Metro link to the rainforest.

Unusual for me to make a serious point these days (must be due to the bad influence of one of the moderating team), but, theoretically, it wouldn't take much to extend the Metro from Pelaw to Follingsby Park via the old Leamside Line.

It would probably be more prudent to build the much mooted, much fabled P&R site there instead of Eighton Lodge to get the most out of the potential transport links which could be created.
MurdnunoC
04 Jan 2022, 11:02 am #1,945

(03 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm)mb134 Depends on what's shown on the destination display. "Bezos' Palace" might work, but if you're leaving Kingston Park displaying "Amazon" it could cause confusion given the Metro link to the rainforest.

Unusual for me to make a serious point these days (must be due to the bad influence of one of the moderating team), but, theoretically, it wouldn't take much to extend the Metro from Pelaw to Follingsby Park via the old Leamside Line.

It would probably be more prudent to build the much mooted, much fabled P&R site there instead of Eighton Lodge to get the most out of the potential transport links which could be created.

04 Jan 2022, 1:52 pm #1,946
Extend the 29 to the Metrocentre. Make a 29A to Allendene & Wrekenton and a 29B to Washington

ASX_Terranova
04 Jan 2022, 1:52 pm #1,946

Extend the 29 to the Metrocentre. Make a 29A to Allendene & Wrekenton and a 29B to Washington

MurdnunoC

04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm #1,947
(04 Jan 2022, 1:52 pm)ASX_Terranova Extend the 29 to the Metrocentre. Make a 29A to Allendene & Wrekenton and a 29B to Washington

Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

If you're a teenager meeting friends; or if it raining and want to spend somewhere indoors; or if you're going to for something to eat then the cinema then yes, perhaps it is somewhere people still want to go, on occasion. However, the amount of boarded up shops and the introduction of things like Jobcentres, Eye Clinics and Community Hubs into empty units suggest Metrocentre is struggling for tenants and will be for years to come. I think the future of Metrocentre will be, at best, an out-of-town version of Jarrow, Wallsend, West Denton, or Stanley only with shops which are slightly more upmarket than your B&Ms or Shoezones (both of which are present at the Metrocentre) unless drastically changes soon. The main anchors have largely disappeared leaving only M&S, Next, and Primark in the centre itself, and IKEA in the Retail Parks, and only IKEA offers something which isn't found in any other town/city centre in the North East area.

So is it really a good move to extend the 29 to the Metrocentre? I'd argue probably not, especially in a climate where bus operators are seeking to cut costs wherever possible. Plus, in the past, there was a bus between Kibblesworth and Metrocentre which, presumably, wasn't massively popular otherwise it would still exist in some form.

The 29A seems like it would be a reintroduction of the 1/24/25... lineage of bus routes. Not necessarily against that idea, however it is unlikely it would be implemented as within the last year or so GNE have merged this into what was once the 25/X25/725 service between Langley Park and Newcastle. Presumably this was done to save a bus or two so unless there are major reliability issues further south on the route, it's probably nt happening.
MurdnunoC
04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm #1,947

(04 Jan 2022, 1:52 pm)ASX_Terranova Extend the 29 to the Metrocentre. Make a 29A to Allendene & Wrekenton and a 29B to Washington

Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

If you're a teenager meeting friends; or if it raining and want to spend somewhere indoors; or if you're going to for something to eat then the cinema then yes, perhaps it is somewhere people still want to go, on occasion. However, the amount of boarded up shops and the introduction of things like Jobcentres, Eye Clinics and Community Hubs into empty units suggest Metrocentre is struggling for tenants and will be for years to come. I think the future of Metrocentre will be, at best, an out-of-town version of Jarrow, Wallsend, West Denton, or Stanley only with shops which are slightly more upmarket than your B&Ms or Shoezones (both of which are present at the Metrocentre) unless drastically changes soon. The main anchors have largely disappeared leaving only M&S, Next, and Primark in the centre itself, and IKEA in the Retail Parks, and only IKEA offers something which isn't found in any other town/city centre in the North East area.

So is it really a good move to extend the 29 to the Metrocentre? I'd argue probably not, especially in a climate where bus operators are seeking to cut costs wherever possible. Plus, in the past, there was a bus between Kibblesworth and Metrocentre which, presumably, wasn't massively popular otherwise it would still exist in some form.

The 29A seems like it would be a reintroduction of the 1/24/25... lineage of bus routes. Not necessarily against that idea, however it is unlikely it would be implemented as within the last year or so GNE have merged this into what was once the 25/X25/725 service between Langley Park and Newcastle. Presumably this was done to save a bus or two so unless there are major reliability issues further south on the route, it's probably nt happening.

04 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm #1,948
(04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm)MurdnunoC Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

Extending the 21 to langley park would mean you could withdraw the 25

ASX_Terranova
04 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm #1,948

(04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm)MurdnunoC Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

Extending the 21 to langley park would mean you could withdraw the 25

MurdnunoC

04 Jan 2022, 4:08 pm #1,949
(04 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm)ASX_Terranova Extending the 21 to langley park would mean you could withdraw the 25

Then you have the problem(s) of the 21 doubling back on itself at Durham (Langley Park is North West of Durham); the 21 more or less duplicating the X20; and passengers using the service from Langley Park having to do endure a lengthy tour of Durham with an added journey time of probably 30 minutes or more.
MurdnunoC
04 Jan 2022, 4:08 pm #1,949

(04 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm)ASX_Terranova Extending the 21 to langley park would mean you could withdraw the 25

Then you have the problem(s) of the 21 doubling back on itself at Durham (Langley Park is North West of Durham); the 21 more or less duplicating the X20; and passengers using the service from Langley Park having to do endure a lengthy tour of Durham with an added journey time of probably 30 minutes or more.

Adrian

04 Jan 2022, 4:15 pm #1,950

Struggling to understand this suggestion at all. I can't think how it would ever work, given they only share two common sections of route.

What resource would you have to put into the 21 and proposed 29/29A/29B to achieve all of this, and what do you plan on save by withdrawing the 25? It feels like you're on a hiding to nothing, potentially wrecking two commercial services in order to 'improve' a secured service, but I'd be interested to see the numbers.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jan 2022, 4:15 pm #1,950

Struggling to understand this suggestion at all. I can't think how it would ever work, given they only share two common sections of route.

What resource would you have to put into the 21 and proposed 29/29A/29B to achieve all of this, and what do you plan on save by withdrawing the 25? It feels like you're on a hiding to nothing, potentially wrecking two commercial services in order to 'improve' a secured service, but I'd be interested to see the numbers.

Storx

04 Jan 2022, 6:13 pm #1,951
I'm trying to understand what your suggesting with this 21/29's here but I think I get it.

Your suggesting, changing the 29A to do Harlow Green and Wrekenton, then a second to do the backwaters of Birtley and continue to Washington with the 21's from Chester being extended to Langley Park instead..?

If you want to go down that route though you'd be doing something like:

21 - Current 21 to Brandon, every 30 minutes.
22 - Current 21 to Chester Le Street, 25 to Langley Park, every 30 minutes.
23 - Current 21 to Harlow Green, turn right towards the Gold Medal then 29 route to Kibblesworth, every 30 minutes.
24 - Current 21 to Harlow Green turn left, current 25 as far as Vigo, turn left under the A1(M) and do the 84 loop in the opposite direction, every 30 minutes.
25 - Withdrawn
28 - Same route
28A - Direct from the Gold Medal to Birtley.
29 - Withdrawn

Admit I haven't thought about timetabling at all and whether it would actually work but it's much less confusing that what your suggesting and there's way too many 21's between The Angel and Chester Le Street which are never busy. It also removes the short and long 21's.
Storx
04 Jan 2022, 6:13 pm #1,951

I'm trying to understand what your suggesting with this 21/29's here but I think I get it.

Your suggesting, changing the 29A to do Harlow Green and Wrekenton, then a second to do the backwaters of Birtley and continue to Washington with the 21's from Chester being extended to Langley Park instead..?

23 - Current 21 to Harlow Green, turn right towards the Gold Medal then 29 route to Kibblesworth, every 30 minutes.
24 - Current 21 to Harlow Green turn left, current 25 as far as Vigo, turn left under the A1(M) and do the 84 loop in the opposite direction, every 30 minutes.
25 - Withdrawn
28 - Same route
29 - Withdrawn

Admit I haven't thought about timetabling at all and whether it would actually work but it's much less confusing that what your suggesting and there's way too many 21's between The Angel and Chester Le Street which are never busy. It also removes the short and long 21's.

04 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm #1,952
(04 Jan 2022, 6:13 pm)Storx I'm trying to understand what your suggesting with this 21/29's here but I think I get it.

25 - Withdrawn
28 - Same route
29 - Withdrawn

Would this work by any chance? It was set up as an idea for GNE Competition.
Attached Files
.pdf
24 & 24A Timetable.pdf
Size 33.8 KB / Downloads 16

ASX_Terranova
04 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm #1,952

(04 Jan 2022, 6:13 pm)Storx I'm trying to understand what your suggesting with this 21/29's here but I think I get it.

25 - Withdrawn
28 - Same route
29 - Withdrawn

Would this work by any chance? It was set up as an idea for GNE Competition.

Attached Files
.pdf
24 & 24A Timetable.pdf
Size 33.8 KB / Downloads 16

05 Jan 2022, 1:58 am #1,953
I travelled on the 42A yesterday for the full route from Kingston Park to Wallsend and it got busier closer to Wallsend. Could this service be made fully commercially viable? What changes are needed to improve the service?

Does anyone know if the Newcastle & North Tyneside day ticket is available on the 74/X84/X85 or if this can only be purchased on North Tyneside depot based services?
OrangeArrow49
05 Jan 2022, 1:58 am #1,953

I travelled on the 42A yesterday for the full route from Kingston Park to Wallsend and it got busier closer to Wallsend. Could this service be made fully commercially viable? What changes are needed to improve the service?

Does anyone know if the Newcastle & North Tyneside day ticket is available on the 74/X84/X85 or if this can only be purchased on North Tyneside depot based services?

Train8261

05 Jan 2022, 3:34 am #1,954
(05 Jan 2022, 1:58 am)OrangeArrow49 I travelled on the 42A yesterday for the full route from Kingston Park to Wallsend and it got busier closer to Wallsend. Could this service be made fully commercially viable? What changes are needed to improve the service?

There isn't really much u can change. Its a nexus funded service but your asking GNE to do something about it. Good luck with that
Train8261
05 Jan 2022, 3:34 am #1,954

(05 Jan 2022, 1:58 am)OrangeArrow49 I travelled on the 42A yesterday for the full route from Kingston Park to Wallsend and it got busier closer to Wallsend. Could this service be made fully commercially viable? What changes are needed to improve the service?

There isn't really much u can change. Its a nexus funded service but your asking GNE to do something about it. Good luck with that

05 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm #1,955
Here's a weird one, how about a express version of the 8 or 78 maybe a couple of journeys a day.

ASX_Terranova
05 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm #1,955

Here's a weird one, how about a express version of the 8 or 78 maybe a couple of journeys a day.

cbma06

05 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm #1,956
(05 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm)ASX_Terranova Here's a weird one, how about a express version of the 8 or 78 maybe a couple of journeys a day.

Can’t see that happening in these days, many decades ago the X6 used to be the express between Sunderland and consett, used to take an hour from end to end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
05 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm #1,956

(05 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm)ASX_Terranova Here's a weird one, how about a express version of the 8 or 78 maybe a couple of journeys a day.

Can’t see that happening in these days, many decades ago the X6 used to be the express between Sunderland and consett, used to take an hour from end to end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian

05 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm #1,957

What were the numbers like before it got closer to Wallsend, and by busier, roughly how many passengers?

Obviously it's only your experience of one journey, but be interesting to know the numbers involved.

Adrian
05 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm #1,957

What were the numbers like before it got closer to Wallsend, and by busier, roughly how many passengers?

Obviously it's only your experience of one journey, but be interesting to know the numbers involved.

Storx

05 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm #1,958

Withdraw the route north of Killingworth. It's impossible otherwise (it's the only part not commercial anyway I believe).
Storx
05 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm #1,958

Withdraw the route north of Killingworth. It's impossible otherwise (it's the only part not commercial anyway I believe).

Train8261

05 Jan 2022, 5:53 pm #1,959
(05 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm)Adrian What were the numbers like before it got closer to Wallsend, and by busier, roughly how many passengers?

Seemed busy. Quite a few people travel futher past Killingworth. I think the Kingston Park to Dinnington is only there because there isn't a link there. If gne were to withdraw that part. Arriva could possibly extend the 44 or 45 to the airport and have the metro link to Kingston Park
Train8261
05 Jan 2022, 5:53 pm #1,959

(05 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm)Adrian What were the numbers like before it got closer to Wallsend, and by busier, roughly how many passengers?

Seemed busy. Quite a few people travel futher past Killingworth. I think the Kingston Park to Dinnington is only there because there isn't a link there. If gne were to withdraw that part. Arriva could possibly extend the 44 or 45 to the airport and have the metro link to Kingston Park

05 Jan 2022, 6:17 pm #1,960

There were 3 passengers on at Kingston Park, including myself. 25 passengers on arrival into Wallsend Town Centre. 40 passengers or so in total across the journey. From Kingston Park the other passenger alighted in Killingworth. Passengers boarded in Benton, Seaton Burn and Wideopen. A passenger also got off at Quorum Business Park.

I've used the 42A a small number of times, but only ever from Wallsend or Killingworth to Kingston Park and it's usually been empty for most of the route. Killingworth from Wallsend gets a small number of passengers.
OrangeArrow49
05 Jan 2022, 6:17 pm #1,960

There were 3 passengers on at Kingston Park, including myself. 25 passengers on arrival into Wallsend Town Centre. 40 passengers or so in total across the journey. From Kingston Park the other passenger alighted in Killingworth. Passengers boarded in Benton, Seaton Burn and Wideopen. A passenger also got off at Quorum Business Park.

I've used the 42A a small number of times, but only ever from Wallsend or Killingworth to Kingston Park and it's usually been empty for most of the route. Killingworth from Wallsend gets a small number of passengers.

Pages (150) Previous 197 98 99150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average