Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 199 100 101150 Next
06 Jan 2022, 1:45 pm #1,981
I made this suggestion a few days ago as the X23. 
I have renumbered it to the X3 and created a professional timetable for it
Attached Files
.pdf
X3 Timetable.pdf
Size 104.21 KB / Downloads 20

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
06 Jan 2022, 1:45 pm #1,981

I made this suggestion a few days ago as the X23. 
I have renumbered it to the X3 and created a professional timetable for it

Attached Files
.pdf
X3 Timetable.pdf
Size 104.21 KB / Downloads 20

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

06 Jan 2022, 2:41 pm #1,982
Here is an idea ?

Washington Galleries-Regent Centre
Service Number ... X123

Literately a limited  stop to make it an Express. (Stop at locations only)

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
Amazon Bus Station Follingsby
Jarrow Bus Station (for Metro link)
(Through tunnel)
Wallsend Bus Station (for Metro Link)
(Express )
Four Lane Ends Metro interchange - Park and Ride (possibly or direct to Freeman)
Freeman Hospital
South Gosforth Metro Station
Regent Centre Metro Station

Benefits is
Link to Amazon for North of Tyne
Direct link from Jarrow Metro to Wallsend Metro
Washington has a link to Freeman Hospital
Creating quicker links between Metro stations avoiding Newcastle City Centre
Jarrow has a direct link to Freeman Hospital

Serving Hospital and Amazon workers but improves reliability if Metro are off passengers visiting Hospital has a quick link

Wallsend to Amazon in less than 30mins  perhaps?
DaveFromUpNorth
06 Jan 2022, 2:41 pm #1,982

Here is an idea ?

Service Number ... X123

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
(Through tunnel)
(Express )
Four Lane Ends Metro interchange - Park and Ride (possibly or direct to Freeman)
Freeman Hospital

Benefits is

Serving Hospital and Amazon workers but improves reliability if Metro are off passengers visiting Hospital has a quick link

Andreos1

06 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm #1,983
(06 Jan 2022, 2:41 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Here is an idea ?

Service Number ... X123

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
(Through tunnel)
(Express )
Freeman Hospital

Benefits is

For a while now, I've shared links that show traffic jams and tailbacks across T&W.
Inevitably, those links are for areas that have poor public transport links or connections. They've been like that for years. https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic/status...dMhIoTMt3A&s=19

If the data shows that the flow you suggest is high and the demand high, then it seems like a good idea to me!

Got to be better than maintaining the status quo and insisting we sit for ages on a bus, get off, stand, get on another bus (possibly repeating again) just to get somewhere.
Then the same at the end of the day.
That's why people make the switch to cars imo.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm #1,983

Service Number ... X123

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
(Through tunnel)
(Express )
Freeman Hospital

Benefits is

For a while now, I've shared links that show traffic jams and tailbacks across T&W.
Inevitably, those links are for areas that have poor public transport links or connections. They've been like that for years. https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic/status...dMhIoTMt3A&s=19

If the data shows that the flow you suggest is high and the demand high, then it seems like a good idea to me!

Got to be better than maintaining the status quo and insisting we sit for ages on a bus, get off, stand, get on another bus (possibly repeating again) just to get somewhere.
Then the same at the end of the day.
That's why people make the switch to cars imo.

Omega54

06 Jan 2022, 4:23 pm #1,984

Service Number ... X123

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
(Through tunnel)
(Express )
Freeman Hospital

Benefits is

I would extend it up the A690 to Sunderland as like a express to Washington. Or just send it straight up the A1231. Also From the Regent Centre you maybe could extend it to Haymarket with the Q3 to add a further connection to the bus station which Wallsend, nor Jarrow have at this moment.

Extending it to Sunderland would add connnections from the A690 to Newcastle & Washington, Wallsend, Freemans, Amazon.

And X123 I don't really like that. But maybe X56. Or just a X65
Omega54
06 Jan 2022, 4:23 pm #1,984

Service Number ... X123

Washington  Galleries
Concord Bus Station
(Through tunnel)
(Express )
Freeman Hospital

Benefits is

I would extend it up the A690 to Sunderland as like a express to Washington. Or just send it straight up the A1231. Also From the Regent Centre you maybe could extend it to Haymarket with the Q3 to add a further connection to the bus station which Wallsend, nor Jarrow have at this moment.

Extending it to Sunderland would add connnections from the A690 to Newcastle & Washington, Wallsend, Freemans, Amazon.

And X123 I don't really like that. But maybe X56. Or just a X65

Jimmi

06 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm #1,985
(05 Jan 2022, 11:34 pm)Storx Ah possibly then might have got mixed up with something elsewhere. I know there was the big scandal with tachometers at Snaiths which muddles everything up which is when they gained some of those I believe.
These all came about following that fall out with Howard Snaith which saw NCC strip them of all contracts with PCL winning most of the less frequent runs like the 808, 815, 882 & 885 with the 680 coming about as a result of that plus Tyne Valley Coaches deciding to withdraw their commercially operated 880 runs to Bellingham
Jimmi
06 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm #1,985

(05 Jan 2022, 11:34 pm)Storx Ah possibly then might have got mixed up with something elsewhere. I know there was the big scandal with tachometers at Snaiths which muddles everything up which is when they gained some of those I believe.
These all came about following that fall out with Howard Snaith which saw NCC strip them of all contracts with PCL winning most of the less frequent runs like the 808, 815, 882 & 885 with the 680 coming about as a result of that plus Tyne Valley Coaches deciding to withdraw their commercially operated 880 runs to Bellingham

06 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm #1,986
(04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm)MurdnunoC Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

If you're a teenager meeting friends; or if it raining and want to spend somewhere indoors; or if you're going to for something to eat then the cinema then yes, perhaps it is somewhere people still want to go, on occasion. However, the amount of boarded up shops and the introduction of things like Jobcentres, Eye Clinics and Community Hubs into empty units suggest Metrocentre is struggling for tenants and will be for years to come. I think the future of Metrocentre will be, at best, an out-of-town version of Jarrow, Wallsend, West Denton, or Stanley only with shops which are slightly more upmarket than your B&Ms or Shoezones (both of which are present at the Metrocentre) unless drastically changes soon. The main anchors have largely disappeared leaving only M&S, Next, and Primark in the centre itself, and IKEA in the Retail Parks, and only IKEA offers something which isn't found in any other town/city centre in the North East area.

So is it really a good move to extend the 29 to the Metrocentre? I'd argue probably not, especially in a climate where bus operators are seeking to cut costs wherever possible. Plus, in the past, there was a bus between Kibblesworth and Metrocentre which, presumably, wasn't massively popular otherwise it would still exist in some form.

The 29A seems like it would be a reintroduction of the 1/24/25... lineage of bus routes. Not necessarily against that idea, however it is unlikely it would be implemented as within the last year or so GNE have merged this into what was once the 25/X25/725 service between Langley Park and Newcastle. Presumably this was done to save a bus or two so unless there are major reliability issues further south on the route, it's probably nt happening.

Could we see the 6 and 7 withdrawn in the future if the Metrocentre is losing popularity? Maybe a new Four Lane Ends - Kingston Park - West Denton - Blaydon service? Be good to see the 6 and 7 run to Blaydon.
OrangeArrow49
06 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm #1,986

(04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm)MurdnunoC Is Metrocentre still a destination where people want to go?

If you're a teenager meeting friends; or if it raining and want to spend somewhere indoors; or if you're going to for something to eat then the cinema then yes, perhaps it is somewhere people still want to go, on occasion. However, the amount of boarded up shops and the introduction of things like Jobcentres, Eye Clinics and Community Hubs into empty units suggest Metrocentre is struggling for tenants and will be for years to come. I think the future of Metrocentre will be, at best, an out-of-town version of Jarrow, Wallsend, West Denton, or Stanley only with shops which are slightly more upmarket than your B&Ms or Shoezones (both of which are present at the Metrocentre) unless drastically changes soon. The main anchors have largely disappeared leaving only M&S, Next, and Primark in the centre itself, and IKEA in the Retail Parks, and only IKEA offers something which isn't found in any other town/city centre in the North East area.

So is it really a good move to extend the 29 to the Metrocentre? I'd argue probably not, especially in a climate where bus operators are seeking to cut costs wherever possible. Plus, in the past, there was a bus between Kibblesworth and Metrocentre which, presumably, wasn't massively popular otherwise it would still exist in some form.

The 29A seems like it would be a reintroduction of the 1/24/25... lineage of bus routes. Not necessarily against that idea, however it is unlikely it would be implemented as within the last year or so GNE have merged this into what was once the 25/X25/725 service between Langley Park and Newcastle. Presumably this was done to save a bus or two so unless there are major reliability issues further south on the route, it's probably nt happening.

Could we see the 6 and 7 withdrawn in the future if the Metrocentre is losing popularity? Maybe a new Four Lane Ends - Kingston Park - West Denton - Blaydon service? Be good to see the 6 and 7 run to Blaydon.

MurdnunoC

06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm #1,987
But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

While Metrocentre is a ghost of what it is once was, it still provides a number of things which Blaydon does not. So diverting the 6 or the 7 away from the Metrocentre would be commercial suicide for either service. My point about Metrocentre, which I think you misunderstood, is that there is little point in creating new Metrocentre specific services, shoppers specials if you will, like we might have seen in the past as shopping habits have drastically changed over the last decade or so.

On a final note, there were once services which operated between Blaydon and Westerhope (616/617/641/M16/M17). The reason they originally existed was to provide Stella Power Station with a bus service. Once that was demolished in 1990 ridership declined which led to the eventual withdrawal of the route sometime in the early 2000s, if not earlier. So to go back to my opening question: Why Blaydon? What has suddenly changed which would make folk want to go there?
MurdnunoC
06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm #1,987

But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

While Metrocentre is a ghost of what it is once was, it still provides a number of things which Blaydon does not. So diverting the 6 or the 7 away from the Metrocentre would be commercial suicide for either service. My point about Metrocentre, which I think you misunderstood, is that there is little point in creating new Metrocentre specific services, shoppers specials if you will, like we might have seen in the past as shopping habits have drastically changed over the last decade or so.

On a final note, there were once services which operated between Blaydon and Westerhope (616/617/641/M16/M17). The reason they originally existed was to provide Stella Power Station with a bus service. Once that was demolished in 1990 ridership declined which led to the eventual withdrawal of the route sometime in the early 2000s, if not earlier. So to go back to my opening question: Why Blaydon? What has suddenly changed which would make folk want to go there?

06 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm #1,988
(06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm)MurdnunoC But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

In theory, because of the close proximity of Blaydon to West Newcastle, people might want to go there and whilst I do wish to go there and feel having to go into town and then back out is crazy and incentivises car ownership, creating new links, even infrequently, gives people the choice. The long withdrawn services from Westerhope inspired my thinking. Apologies I did misunderstand your post.
OrangeArrow49
06 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm #1,988

(06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm)MurdnunoC But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

In theory, because of the close proximity of Blaydon to West Newcastle, people might want to go there and whilst I do wish to go there and feel having to go into town and then back out is crazy and incentivises car ownership, creating new links, even infrequently, gives people the choice. The long withdrawn services from Westerhope inspired my thinking. Apologies I did misunderstand your post.

Storx

06 Jan 2022, 8:39 pm #1,989

I know there's a lot of joking around with Kingston Park and the Metro Centre lately but one thing that is noticeable is there's a large chunk of the West End without a link to any supermarket at all. Benwell and Elswick in particular don't and nor does a large chunk of West Road without trailing through to Byker for over 30 minutes. I'm not counting West Denton that place is terrible. Yet 5 minutes drive South is the biggest ASDA in the North East and 10 minutes North is the biggest Tesco in the North East.

It's similar around North Kenton, 5 minutes drive from Tesco Kingston Park, no service at all. 5 minutes from ASDA and M&S Gosforth no service at all. Nearest supermarket Morrisons West Denton, 27 minutes on a bus and it's crap.

I agree they don't deserve buses from everywhere but when you can't get the basics right it's no wonder people are driving. Tesco Kingston Park, ASDA Metro Centre and ASDA Gosforth are pretty much inaccessible from most of the Stagecoach network in North / West Newcastle and they're there to serve those areas pretty much.
Storx
06 Jan 2022, 8:39 pm #1,989

I know there's a lot of joking around with Kingston Park and the Metro Centre lately but one thing that is noticeable is there's a large chunk of the West End without a link to any supermarket at all. Benwell and Elswick in particular don't and nor does a large chunk of West Road without trailing through to Byker for over 30 minutes. I'm not counting West Denton that place is terrible. Yet 5 minutes drive South is the biggest ASDA in the North East and 10 minutes North is the biggest Tesco in the North East.

It's similar around North Kenton, 5 minutes drive from Tesco Kingston Park, no service at all. 5 minutes from ASDA and M&S Gosforth no service at all. Nearest supermarket Morrisons West Denton, 27 minutes on a bus and it's crap.

I agree they don't deserve buses from everywhere but when you can't get the basics right it's no wonder people are driving. Tesco Kingston Park, ASDA Metro Centre and ASDA Gosforth are pretty much inaccessible from most of the Stagecoach network in North / West Newcastle and they're there to serve those areas pretty much.

MurdnunoC

06 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm #1,990
(06 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm)OrangeArrow49 In theory, because of the close proximity of Blaydon to West Newcastle, people might want to go there and whilst I do wish to go there and feel having to go into town and then back out is crazy and incentivises car ownership, creating new links, even infrequently, gives people the choice. The long withdrawn services from Westerhope inspired my thinking. Apologies I did misunderstand your post.

But if these long withdrawn services didn't work in the period between 1990 and 2000 when the service existed outside of providing workers with transport to a place of employment; and at a time when car ownership was lower and internet shopping didn't exist; why might people suddenly want to travel to Blaydon now? West Denton has a Morrisons. Slatyford has a B&Ms (as well as a Lidl, a Wickes, and an Iceland). Kingston Park has a Home Bargains (and a whole host of other things). I can't see Boyes or Cooplands being that much of a draw where people would be coming to visit in their droves; and the rest of the shops in Blaydon Precinct are nothing to write home about either.

Creating infrequent links is not sustainable for a place like Blaydon. Now just supposing people did want to travel there to shop, would people really be prepared to go shopping then wait potentially hours for the bus back to Westerhope? Probably not, right? What would actually happen is people would travel into Newcastle then onto Westerhope in order to save time (and possibly sanity), thus doing the opposite of what the infrequent service sets out to achieve.

It's another dead horse suggestion I'm afraid.
MurdnunoC
06 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm #1,990

(06 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm)OrangeArrow49 In theory, because of the close proximity of Blaydon to West Newcastle, people might want to go there and whilst I do wish to go there and feel having to go into town and then back out is crazy and incentivises car ownership, creating new links, even infrequently, gives people the choice. The long withdrawn services from Westerhope inspired my thinking. Apologies I did misunderstand your post.

But if these long withdrawn services didn't work in the period between 1990 and 2000 when the service existed outside of providing workers with transport to a place of employment; and at a time when car ownership was lower and internet shopping didn't exist; why might people suddenly want to travel to Blaydon now? West Denton has a Morrisons. Slatyford has a B&Ms (as well as a Lidl, a Wickes, and an Iceland). Kingston Park has a Home Bargains (and a whole host of other things). I can't see Boyes or Cooplands being that much of a draw where people would be coming to visit in their droves; and the rest of the shops in Blaydon Precinct are nothing to write home about either.

Creating infrequent links is not sustainable for a place like Blaydon. Now just supposing people did want to travel there to shop, would people really be prepared to go shopping then wait potentially hours for the bus back to Westerhope? Probably not, right? What would actually happen is people would travel into Newcastle then onto Westerhope in order to save time (and possibly sanity), thus doing the opposite of what the infrequent service sets out to achieve.

MurdnunoC

06 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm #1,991
(06 Jan 2022, 8:39 pm)Storx I know there's a lot of joking around with Kingston Park and the Metro Centre lately but one thing that is noticeable is there's a large chunk of the West End without a link to any supermarket at all. Benwell and Elswick in particular don't and nor does a large chunk of West Road without trailing through to Byker for over 30 minutes. I'm not counting West Denton that place is terrible. Yet 5 minutes drive South is the biggest ASDA in the North East and 10 minutes North is the biggest Tesco in the North East.

Benwell, and by extension Elswick given it's relatively close proximity, has an Asda, Iceland and Lidl. The Asda isn't huge admittedly, but the presence of all three gives local shoppers a good deal of choice. Elswick/Arthurs Hill also has a small Asda Supermarket too.

If you're travelling to Tesco at Kingston Park or Asda at Metrocentre, then the chances are you're probably there to do a bigger shop than you normally would in Benwell. This means you'll probably be lugging around a trolley-load of shopping in carrier bags and, lets face it, the prospect of using a bus whilst carrying a load of shopping isn't the most desirable due to the lack of space etc. The chances are, even if there was a service available, people would still opt to use the car.
MurdnunoC
06 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm #1,991

(06 Jan 2022, 8:39 pm)Storx I know there's a lot of joking around with Kingston Park and the Metro Centre lately but one thing that is noticeable is there's a large chunk of the West End without a link to any supermarket at all. Benwell and Elswick in particular don't and nor does a large chunk of West Road without trailing through to Byker for over 30 minutes. I'm not counting West Denton that place is terrible. Yet 5 minutes drive South is the biggest ASDA in the North East and 10 minutes North is the biggest Tesco in the North East.

Benwell, and by extension Elswick given it's relatively close proximity, has an Asda, Iceland and Lidl. The Asda isn't huge admittedly, but the presence of all three gives local shoppers a good deal of choice. Elswick/Arthurs Hill also has a small Asda Supermarket too.

If you're travelling to Tesco at Kingston Park or Asda at Metrocentre, then the chances are you're probably there to do a bigger shop than you normally would in Benwell. This means you'll probably be lugging around a trolley-load of shopping in carrier bags and, lets face it, the prospect of using a bus whilst carrying a load of shopping isn't the most desirable due to the lack of space etc. The chances are, even if there was a service available, people would still opt to use the car.

Adrian

06 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #1,992
(06 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm)MurdnunoC Benwell, and by extension Elswick given it's relatively close proximity, has an Asda, Iceland and Lidl. The Asda isn't huge admittedly, but the presence of all three gives local shoppers a good deal of choice. Elswick/Arthurs Hill also has a small Asda Supermarket too.

And there isn't anywhere to put a large shop on a bus. Most buses nowadays have zero luggage space, so you're limited at a bag or two at most.

**¼

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #1,992

(06 Jan 2022, 9:03 pm)MurdnunoC Benwell, and by extension Elswick given it's relatively close proximity, has an Asda, Iceland and Lidl. The Asda isn't huge admittedly, but the presence of all three gives local shoppers a good deal of choice. Elswick/Arthurs Hill also has a small Asda Supermarket too.

And there isn't anywhere to put a large shop on a bus. Most buses nowadays have zero luggage space, so you're limited at a bag or two at most.

**¼

Storx

06 Jan 2022, 9:14 pm #1,993

Aye no arguments there, the West end is quite a bus unfriendly place really pretty much caused by the Tyne being there. It's a shame there's no bridge to the East of the Metro Centre as arguably half the Metro Centre buses should be heading North and touching Elswick etc rather than serving nothing as they do atm.

Mind there shouldn't be buses to Blaydon there's nowt there tbh and the Morrisons is no different to West Denton.
Storx
06 Jan 2022, 9:14 pm #1,993

Aye no arguments there, the West end is quite a bus unfriendly place really pretty much caused by the Tyne being there. It's a shame there's no bridge to the East of the Metro Centre as arguably half the Metro Centre buses should be heading North and touching Elswick etc rather than serving nothing as they do atm.

Mind there shouldn't be buses to Blaydon there's nowt there tbh and the Morrisons is no different to West Denton.

idiot

06 Jan 2022, 11:00 pm #1,994
(06 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm)Adrian And there isn't anywhere to put a large shop on a bus. Most buses nowadays have zero luggage space, so you're limited at a bag or two at most.

**¼

You know what your spot on. When I was a kid using the 20 service stagecoach in Sunderland there was room for passengers as well as luggage.
idiot
06 Jan 2022, 11:00 pm #1,994

(06 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm)Adrian And there isn't anywhere to put a large shop on a bus. Most buses nowadays have zero luggage space, so you're limited at a bag or two at most.

**¼

You know what your spot on. When I was a kid using the 20 service stagecoach in Sunderland there was room for passengers as well as luggage.

07 Jan 2022, 12:45 am #1,995
(06 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm)MurdnunoC But if these long withdrawn services didn't work in the period between 1990 and 2000 when the service existed outside of providing workers with transport to a place of employment; and at a time when car ownership was lower and internet shopping didn't exist; why might people suddenly want to travel to Blaydon now? West Denton has a Morrisons. Slatyford has a B&Ms (as well as a Lidl, a Wickes, and an Iceland). Kingston Park has a Home Bargains (and a whole host of other things). I can't see Boyes or Cooplands being that much of a draw where people would be coming to visit in their droves; and the rest of the shops in Blaydon Precinct are nothing to write home about either.

There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

For my journey to Blaydon I believe I can get the 941 to Scotswood Road and then get the 12/12A from Scotswood Bridge towards Winlaton, so it avoids going into Newcastle unnecessarily.
Edited 07 Jan 2022, 12:54 am by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2022, 12:45 am #1,995

(06 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm)MurdnunoC But if these long withdrawn services didn't work in the period between 1990 and 2000 when the service existed outside of providing workers with transport to a place of employment; and at a time when car ownership was lower and internet shopping didn't exist; why might people suddenly want to travel to Blaydon now? West Denton has a Morrisons. Slatyford has a B&Ms (as well as a Lidl, a Wickes, and an Iceland). Kingston Park has a Home Bargains (and a whole host of other things). I can't see Boyes or Cooplands being that much of a draw where people would be coming to visit in their droves; and the rest of the shops in Blaydon Precinct are nothing to write home about either.

There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

For my journey to Blaydon I believe I can get the 941 to Scotswood Road and then get the 12/12A from Scotswood Bridge towards Winlaton, so it avoids going into Newcastle unnecessarily.

07 Jan 2022, 2:35 am #1,996

OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2022, 2:35 am #1,996

MurdnunoC

07 Jan 2022, 7:08 am #1,997
I give up.

I honestly find the idea of a suggestions thread laughable as operators in the region can barely operate the services they have yet alone start new ones based upon the whims of enthusiasts.

This situation isn't about to change.

Is it time to close these threads once and for all?
MurdnunoC
07 Jan 2022, 7:08 am #1,997

I give up.

I honestly find the idea of a suggestions thread laughable as operators in the region can barely operate the services they have yet alone start new ones based upon the whims of enthusiasts.

Adrian

07 Jan 2022, 11:35 am #1,998
(07 Jan 2022, 2:35 am)OrangeArrow49 There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

You could never design a route or timetable to cater for where everyone's friends or family might live. It's impossible to cater for all the variables that would throw up. 

I'd imagine when trying to design or develop a service, that the starting point should be where there's a logical link, e.g. connecting villages to Town or City Centres, to services (e.g. Hospitals), or to employment hubs and so on. 

For all we know, the demand you're suggesting hasn't been explored, could have been explored. It's not like operators haven't got access to this data, with so many using smart cards, ticketing and so on, all that leaves a trackable footprint every time you scan it. I'd argue that operators have a greater ability to measure demand now than they've ever had.

(07 Jan 2022, 7:08 am)MurdnunoC I give up.

I'm starting to agree. I think the original purpose of these threads was to suggest minor tweaks or alterations with some logic behind them, not wholesale changes or complete network overhauls that are pure fantasy, and would really serve no objective than to suit a poster's own circumstances.

Adrian
07 Jan 2022, 11:35 am #1,998

(07 Jan 2022, 2:35 am)OrangeArrow49 There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

You could never design a route or timetable to cater for where everyone's friends or family might live. It's impossible to cater for all the variables that would throw up. 

I'd imagine when trying to design or develop a service, that the starting point should be where there's a logical link, e.g. connecting villages to Town or City Centres, to services (e.g. Hospitals), or to employment hubs and so on. 

For all we know, the demand you're suggesting hasn't been explored, could have been explored. It's not like operators haven't got access to this data, with so many using smart cards, ticketing and so on, all that leaves a trackable footprint every time you scan it. I'd argue that operators have a greater ability to measure demand now than they've ever had.

(07 Jan 2022, 7:08 am)MurdnunoC I give up.

I'm starting to agree. I think the original purpose of these threads was to suggest minor tweaks or alterations with some logic behind them, not wholesale changes or complete network overhauls that are pure fantasy, and would really serve no objective than to suit a poster's own circumstances.

07 Jan 2022, 11:52 am #1,999
(07 Jan 2022, 11:35 am)Adrian You could never design a route or timetable to cater for where everyone's friends or family might live. It's impossible to cater for all the variables that would throw up. 

So you're saying a I shouldn't suggest a service that goes Tindale to Metrocentre via Bishop, Crook, Durham, Arnison Centre, CLS, Gateshead, Dunston, and IKEA?

I think that would be a very popular route and totally not just because that covers 90% of the places I travel to!
streetdeckfan
07 Jan 2022, 11:52 am #1,999

(07 Jan 2022, 11:35 am)Adrian You could never design a route or timetable to cater for where everyone's friends or family might live. It's impossible to cater for all the variables that would throw up. 

So you're saying a I shouldn't suggest a service that goes Tindale to Metrocentre via Bishop, Crook, Durham, Arnison Centre, CLS, Gateshead, Dunston, and IKEA?

I think that would be a very popular route and totally not just because that covers 90% of the places I travel to!

Andreos1

07 Jan 2022, 12:05 pm #2,000

I agree, if used appropriately, the data they have access to will be more accurate than ever before. However, there will still be gaps.

Using OrangeArrow49's example of travel from the West End to Blaydon, the use of multi-operator tickets or singles, will not give GNE or Stagecoach enough data to determine demand for that particular route.
SNE will be more than happy that their services to Central Station are attracting punters. GNE will be more than happy to see people choose one of their many services heading to Western Gateshead.
However, GNE will also complain about the amount of traffic delaying their buses along the way and SNE will have issues with traffic building up around the A1 and the widening scheme going on around West Denton.

The lack of joined up thinking has allowed that situation to happen and for all we know, those people in the queues of cars we see every day along Chainbridge Road and the traffic which has forced the hand on the western bypass works, could be attracted to the bus to make their journeys. 

The greatest shame of all, was the 2006 changes to the GNE network and the data used to make those changes. It will have been flawed on so many levels, yet was deemed accurate enough to remove links and re-route services. Those changes will have encouraged flexible users to their cars and encouraged younger people to make the switch sooner than they may have done if they could still get a bus from Herrington Burn to St Roberts 6th form.

I look at the people I've met from the West End, look at their habits, hobbies or interests think about Pulse & Cocktails and maybe... Just maybe, there is a demand from Slatyford or Chapel House to Blaydon.

Andreos1
07 Jan 2022, 12:05 pm #2,000

I agree, if used appropriately, the data they have access to will be more accurate than ever before. However, there will still be gaps.

Using OrangeArrow49's example of travel from the West End to Blaydon, the use of multi-operator tickets or singles, will not give GNE or Stagecoach enough data to determine demand for that particular route.
SNE will be more than happy that their services to Central Station are attracting punters. GNE will be more than happy to see people choose one of their many services heading to Western Gateshead.
However, GNE will also complain about the amount of traffic delaying their buses along the way and SNE will have issues with traffic building up around the A1 and the widening scheme going on around West Denton.

The lack of joined up thinking has allowed that situation to happen and for all we know, those people in the queues of cars we see every day along Chainbridge Road and the traffic which has forced the hand on the western bypass works, could be attracted to the bus to make their journeys. 

The greatest shame of all, was the 2006 changes to the GNE network and the data used to make those changes. It will have been flawed on so many levels, yet was deemed accurate enough to remove links and re-route services. Those changes will have encouraged flexible users to their cars and encouraged younger people to make the switch sooner than they may have done if they could still get a bus from Herrington Burn to St Roberts 6th form.

I look at the people I've met from the West End, look at their habits, hobbies or interests think about Pulse & Cocktails and maybe... Just maybe, there is a demand from Slatyford or Chapel House to Blaydon.

Pages (150) Previous 199 100 101150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average