Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (35) Previous 113 14 1535 Next
12 Aug 2016, 7:32 pm #261
(12 Aug 2016, 11:45 am)South Tyne Lad Had a miserable Chester-Le-Street soul driving a President on the 21 2 days ago refusing to let me on his 21 due to it being " A Metro Ticket " Even though It was a CAT Ticket which can be bought from either the Metro or Bus and is valid on both aswell as the Ferry and Rail.

His second excuse was that it had " A, B and C on the ticket " Which is printed on all CAT Tickets issued on the Metro, Common Sense is that A,B and C is all Zones on a Metro ticket...

He said he'd let me on just this once but if he seen me again he wouldn't let me on.

Are Drivers seriously this undertrained on Tickets? The CAT is used by nearly every child in Tyne and Wear.

I had that with a driver on the 46
NK53 TKT
12 Aug 2016, 7:32 pm #261

(12 Aug 2016, 11:45 am)South Tyne Lad Had a miserable Chester-Le-Street soul driving a President on the 21 2 days ago refusing to let me on his 21 due to it being " A Metro Ticket " Even though It was a CAT Ticket which can be bought from either the Metro or Bus and is valid on both aswell as the Ferry and Rail.

His second excuse was that it had " A, B and C on the ticket " Which is printed on all CAT Tickets issued on the Metro, Common Sense is that A,B and C is all Zones on a Metro ticket...

He said he'd let me on just this once but if he seen me again he wouldn't let me on.

Are Drivers seriously this undertrained on Tickets? The CAT is used by nearly every child in Tyne and Wear.

I had that with a driver on the 46

Brian13

12 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm #262
A few drivers wouldn't let me on with my pop card. It was on a X21 when they were still Presidents and the other time was on the 45 a fortnight ago. Happened on Arriva X2 (now X12) runs too. I was only going to Gateshead/Metrocentre.
Brian13
12 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm #262

A few drivers wouldn't let me on with my pop card. It was on a X21 when they were still Presidents and the other time was on the 45 a fortnight ago. Happened on Arriva X2 (now X12) runs too. I was only going to Gateshead/Metrocentre.

Ambassador

12 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm #263
(12 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm)Boggle That expired there at approximately 16:25.

I alighted from 6303 on the following X21 and the passengers travelling to Chester-le-Street were transferred onto there, whilst others waited for the following 21.

I passed it at 18.50 with no fitter in sight, amazing they'd leave it that long!

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
12 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm #263

(12 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm)Boggle That expired there at approximately 16:25.

I alighted from 6303 on the following X21 and the passengers travelling to Chester-le-Street were transferred onto there, whilst others waited for the following 21.

I passed it at 18.50 with no fitter in sight, amazing they'd leave it that long!

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

ne14ne1

12 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm #264
(12 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm)citaro5284 Aye, prove the buggers wrong, some drivers think they know it all when in fact they know.........

(12 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm)Brian13 A few drivers wouldn't let me on with my pop card. It was on a X21 when they were still Presidents and the other time was on the 45 a fortnight ago. Happened on Arriva X2 (now X12) runs too. I was only going to Gateshead/Metrocentre.

Yeah a few days ago a driver on the 21 said, 'Isn't that just for the Metro', when I presented my POP PAYG card.
I said no its for Metro, Arriva and Go Ahead, and showed him a screenshot I had ready of Go North East replying to my tweet confirming they accept it on all services as of 4th July. It was the first he'd heard of it so he scanned it (twice) and said well the ticket machines not accepting it.
(It was my first time using it so I just paid by cash to avoid any further delay). After a couple more tweets Go Ahead said they'd pass the info on to his depot manager as he should have entered my fare first, then scanned my POP card, then hit issue (twice?)).
Should be fun next time when I have to explain to the driver how to use his own ticket machine. Can imagine that going down well. lol.
ne14ne1
12 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm #264

(12 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm)citaro5284 Aye, prove the buggers wrong, some drivers think they know it all when in fact they know.........

(12 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm)Brian13 A few drivers wouldn't let me on with my pop card. It was on a X21 when they were still Presidents and the other time was on the 45 a fortnight ago. Happened on Arriva X2 (now X12) runs too. I was only going to Gateshead/Metrocentre.

Yeah a few days ago a driver on the 21 said, 'Isn't that just for the Metro', when I presented my POP PAYG card.
I said no its for Metro, Arriva and Go Ahead, and showed him a screenshot I had ready of Go North East replying to my tweet confirming they accept it on all services as of 4th July. It was the first he'd heard of it so he scanned it (twice) and said well the ticket machines not accepting it.
(It was my first time using it so I just paid by cash to avoid any further delay). After a couple more tweets Go Ahead said they'd pass the info on to his depot manager as he should have entered my fare first, then scanned my POP card, then hit issue (twice?)).
Should be fun next time when I have to explain to the driver how to use his own ticket machine. Can imagine that going down well. lol.

BusLoverMum

12 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm #265
(12 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm)ne14ne1 Yeah a few days ago a driver on the 21 said, 'Isn't that just for the Metro', when I presented my POP PAYG card.

I had a stagecoach driver who ended up looking to see if she could issue explorers herself, and then look surprised when I turned out to be right. It's not even as if they're some new fangled thing. More surprising considering that, when we caught the stagecoach 62s, last weekend, we just got waved on without our tickets even being looked at!
BusLoverMum
12 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm #265

(12 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm)ne14ne1 Yeah a few days ago a driver on the 21 said, 'Isn't that just for the Metro', when I presented my POP PAYG card.

I had a stagecoach driver who ended up looking to see if she could issue explorers herself, and then look surprised when I turned out to be right. It's not even as if they're some new fangled thing. More surprising considering that, when we caught the stagecoach 62s, last weekend, we just got waved on without our tickets even being looked at!

Venturego

12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm #266

Tickets may just be far too complex for drivers and customers at large. I have traveled  through many European metropolitan areas, where in the main multi modal tickets are issued throughout the area/or a zonal fare scheme is imposed, albeit across all modes of transport within the area.
Contact less payment bank cards are now becoming more accepted with maximum daily fare caps guaranteed,
Example: From just outside Nexus area (e.g. Burnopfield) it's impossible to buy an affordable fare for Newcastle Airport - Actually is more expensive than a taxi ! - as GNE don't serve the Airport, although illustrated on Buzz fare zone map. Transfare expensive for return journey.

Fares should be simple to understand not only for regular users, but also for occasional travellers and visitors to the region.

I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more customers friendly.

A regional brand/logo across all modes of transport accepting multi-modal tickets would also be helpful to customers visiting the area (n.b. Geneva, Berlin, London, Paris etc...) whether it be Nexus, NECA, LA7 or something New?

Should this not be an opportunity for GNE and other operators to exploit?

Can I suggest using ex Nat Express coaches for truly express services from Teeside to Newcastle, then onward journey  to Airport, while connecting with local services in Newcastle with provision to use onward tickets to the Airport. Could be at slight premium / with luggage?

Coaches were a common use in 70's for premium express services with limited stops connecting with local services point of connection  e.g. Newcastle to / from Teesside (X1 Northern/United joint service), Consett to/from Sunderland (X6 Northern / sometimes SDO - Sunderland District Omnibus), Lanchester/ Greencroft to Ashington/Newbiggin (X30 Northern /United joint service)
Also seasonal Express Coach services to Scarborough via Whitby.

Thoughts?!
Edited 12 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm by Venturego.
Venturego
12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm #266

Tickets may just be far too complex for drivers and customers at large. I have traveled  through many European metropolitan areas, where in the main multi modal tickets are issued throughout the area/or a zonal fare scheme is imposed, albeit across all modes of transport within the area.
Contact less payment bank cards are now becoming more accepted with maximum daily fare caps guaranteed,
Example: From just outside Nexus area (e.g. Burnopfield) it's impossible to buy an affordable fare for Newcastle Airport - Actually is more expensive than a taxi ! - as GNE don't serve the Airport, although illustrated on Buzz fare zone map. Transfare expensive for return journey.

Fares should be simple to understand not only for regular users, but also for occasional travellers and visitors to the region.

I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more customers friendly.

A regional brand/logo across all modes of transport accepting multi-modal tickets would also be helpful to customers visiting the area (n.b. Geneva, Berlin, London, Paris etc...) whether it be Nexus, NECA, LA7 or something New?

Can I suggest using ex Nat Express coaches for truly express services from Teeside to Newcastle, then onward journey  to Airport, while connecting with local services in Newcastle with provision to use onward tickets to the Airport. Could be at slight premium / with luggage?

Coaches were a common use in 70's for premium express services with limited stops connecting with local services point of connection  e.g. Newcastle to / from Teesside (X1 Northern/United joint service), Consett to/from Sunderland (X6 Northern / sometimes SDO - Sunderland District Omnibus), Lanchester/ Greencroft to Ashington/Newbiggin (X30 Northern /United joint service)

Thoughts?!

12 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm #267
(12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm)Venturego Tickets may just be far too complex for drivers and customers at large. I have traveled  through many European metropolitan areas, where in the main multi modal tickets are issued throughout the area/or a zonal fare scheme is imposed, albeit across all modes of transport within the area.

I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more  customers friendly.

Thoughts?!

Actually the ex National Express coaches (Caetano Levantes) would be ideal for the TTX because they are wheelchair accessible and can cope being pounded down the A19.
DavidSBrough
12 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm #267

(12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm)Venturego Tickets may just be far too complex for drivers and customers at large. I have traveled  through many European metropolitan areas, where in the main multi modal tickets are issued throughout the area/or a zonal fare scheme is imposed, albeit across all modes of transport within the area.

I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more  customers friendly.

Thoughts?!

Actually the ex National Express coaches (Caetano Levantes) would be ideal for the TTX because they are wheelchair accessible and can cope being pounded down the A19.

ne14ne1

13 Aug 2016, 8:51 am #268
(12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm)Venturego I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more  customers friendly.

Thoughts?!

Yes I agree.

(Personally I like London buses, and GNE's plain corporate red buses - they look really smart. Obviously we would have our regional 'B' logo for buses where London places it's 'Buses' roundels. 
Individual operators who win contracts to run the route can have their logo (small & white) above the front doors, under the cab window, and on the rear.
I also think any new vehicles ordered for city routes should have centre exit doors for ease and quickness, and to future-proof them for further passenger growth).
Big Grin
Edited 13 Aug 2016, 8:52 am by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
13 Aug 2016, 8:51 am #268

(12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm)Venturego I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more  customers friendly.

Thoughts?!

Yes I agree.

(Personally I like London buses, and GNE's plain corporate red buses - they look really smart. Obviously we would have our regional 'B' logo for buses where London places it's 'Buses' roundels. 
Individual operators who win contracts to run the route can have their logo (small & white) above the front doors, under the cab window, and on the rear.
I also think any new vehicles ordered for city routes should have centre exit doors for ease and quickness, and to future-proof them for further passenger growth).
Big Grin

JP6004

13 Aug 2016, 9:53 am #269

Thoughts?!

(13 Aug 2016, 8:51 am)ne14ne1 Yes I agree.

Big Grin

Venturgo - I still dont think that complex ticketing is really an excuse for not knowing the regions ticketing options. However obviously there is room for improvement.

I don't agree having one multi modal ticket for the region is the answer. For example, I never travel by metro or ferry, so why would I want to pay extra for not using it?
Currently I pay £77.15pm for a red & purple lifestyle pass to get to work & back etc. If I went with Nexus' multi modal ticket - Network One, I'd be paying in excess of £100pm as the ticket only lasts 28 days!
I used to live in Burnopfield and I found the (Pre-October 2015) links to town quick and convenient, however I dont think just Burnopfield suffers from poor links to the Airport. I think this is issue all over T&W
I definately agree with your proposal for the X9/X10 to be extended to the Airport, or for a dedicated Airport bus to be in operation from Newcastle.

NE14NE1: London is London, our cities are nowhere near that size. The main purpose of them having centre doors is so people can alight quicker and board faster due to the short journeys they make. Up here, we tend to travel more than 5-10mins on a bus. I think the single doors do just fine.
Also, I would personally like to live in a non mono-colour world  Tongue
JP6004
13 Aug 2016, 9:53 am #269

Thoughts?!

(13 Aug 2016, 8:51 am)ne14ne1 Yes I agree.

Big Grin

Venturgo - I still dont think that complex ticketing is really an excuse for not knowing the regions ticketing options. However obviously there is room for improvement.

I don't agree having one multi modal ticket for the region is the answer. For example, I never travel by metro or ferry, so why would I want to pay extra for not using it?
Currently I pay £77.15pm for a red & purple lifestyle pass to get to work & back etc. If I went with Nexus' multi modal ticket - Network One, I'd be paying in excess of £100pm as the ticket only lasts 28 days!
I used to live in Burnopfield and I found the (Pre-October 2015) links to town quick and convenient, however I dont think just Burnopfield suffers from poor links to the Airport. I think this is issue all over T&W
I definately agree with your proposal for the X9/X10 to be extended to the Airport, or for a dedicated Airport bus to be in operation from Newcastle.

NE14NE1: London is London, our cities are nowhere near that size. The main purpose of them having centre doors is so people can alight quicker and board faster due to the short journeys they make. Up here, we tend to travel more than 5-10mins on a bus. I think the single doors do just fine.

13 Aug 2016, 10:31 am #270
It has been mention on a number of time that the 19 is going to have buses trialled on them. this will include enviro 200mmc optare solo sr wright streetlite and others
Designline
13 Aug 2016, 10:31 am #270

It has been mention on a number of time that the 19 is going to have buses trialled on them. this will include enviro 200mmc optare solo sr wright streetlite and others

dannygee

13 Aug 2016, 11:04 am #271
(13 Aug 2016, 10:31 am)Designline It has been mention on a number of time that the 19 is going to have buses trialled on them. this will include enviro 200mmc optare solo sr wright streetlite and others

The 19 has Optare Solo SR on a night time and sunday workings as they need bigger through the day especially in the morning and evening going to ashington for workers from the cobalt
dannygee
13 Aug 2016, 11:04 am #271

(13 Aug 2016, 10:31 am)Designline It has been mention on a number of time that the 19 is going to have buses trialled on them. this will include enviro 200mmc optare solo sr wright streetlite and others

The 19 has Optare Solo SR on a night time and sunday workings as they need bigger through the day especially in the morning and evening going to ashington for workers from the cobalt

S813 FVK

13 Aug 2016, 11:18 am #272
New GNE website launches 24th August:
http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-website-coming-soon - will need to get used to that name change!
Edited 13 Aug 2016, 11:18 am by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
13 Aug 2016, 11:18 am #272

New GNE website launches 24th August:
http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-website-coming-soon - will need to get used to that name change!

Michael

13 Aug 2016, 11:26 am #273
(13 Aug 2016, 11:18 am)S813 FVK New GNE website launches 24th August:

I wonder if this is the reason why some of the brand information hasn't been updated etc.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Aug 2016, 11:26 am #273

(13 Aug 2016, 11:18 am)S813 FVK New GNE website launches 24th August:

I wonder if this is the reason why some of the brand information hasn't been updated etc.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JP6004

13 Aug 2016, 11:30 am #274
(13 Aug 2016, 11:26 am)Michael I wonder if this is the reason why some of the brand information hasn't been updated etc.

Some?!?!  Tongue
JP6004
13 Aug 2016, 11:30 am #274

(13 Aug 2016, 11:26 am)Michael I wonder if this is the reason why some of the brand information hasn't been updated etc.

Some?!?!  Tongue

Andreos1

13 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm #275

Thoughts?!

The issue with tickets has been discussed in the ANE thread previously. They have serious ticket option overkill, particularly on longer routes!

Regardless who the operator is, there is something wrong when passengers are explaining to drivers about what is and isn't accepted on a route.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm #275

Thoughts?!

The issue with tickets has been discussed in the ANE thread previously. They have serious ticket option overkill, particularly on longer routes!

Regardless who the operator is, there is something wrong when passengers are explaining to drivers about what is and isn't accepted on a route.

Adrian

13 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm #276
(13 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm)Andreos1 The issue with tickets has been discussed in the ANE thread previously. They have serious ticket option overkill, particularly on longer routes!

I had discussed with an Arriva driver before, and I think we counted double figures in the amount of daily/weekly/monthly ticketing options they have available on the X12. It's no wonder drivers get a bit confused by them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm #276

(13 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm)Andreos1 The issue with tickets has been discussed in the ANE thread previously. They have serious ticket option overkill, particularly on longer routes!

I had discussed with an Arriva driver before, and I think we counted double figures in the amount of daily/weekly/monthly ticketing options they have available on the X12. It's no wonder drivers get a bit confused by them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

L469 YVK

13 Aug 2016, 12:14 pm #277

Could the driver not have just contacted control on his radio to check the validity of the ticket?
L469 YVK
13 Aug 2016, 12:14 pm #277

Could the driver not have just contacted control on his radio to check the validity of the ticket?

ne14ne1

13 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm #278
(13 Aug 2016, 9:53 am)JP6004 NE14NE1: London is London, our cities are nowhere near that size. The main purpose of them having centre doors is so people can alight quicker and board faster due to the short journeys they make. Up here, we tend to travel more than 5-10mins on a bus. I think the single doors do just fine.

The size of the city doesn't make much difference. Go Ahead Brighton and Hove have just purchased new dual door deckers for their service 1 I believe.
When the 3 door artic Citaros were on the Citylink and they opened all 3 doors for people to alight at Civic Centre/Uni of Northumbria & John Dobson St, the idle times were reduced as people could quickly pour out of the bus. And people boarding could do so right from the off rather than waiting for everyone to alight first.

I do see the benefits of route branding, as a local for example can easily identify their bus. However any new customers or visitors wouldn't have a clue as to who operates what and which ticket they'd need. And why should they need to know? Public transport should be easy and convenient. 
Ideally Mr & Mrs Bloggs visiting Newcastle/the North East could come out of Central Station, board a generic 'local bus' & buy a day ticket. If all the buses have a regional brand and all accept a regional ticket/card then there is no confusion of which coloured bus they need or by whom its operated. 
On the Coast Rd I often overhear passengers boarding but being told they can't use their ticket/pass on that bus, and that they need to wait for 'the green bus' (Arriva). Or they ask the (Arriva) drivers things like 'Well which bus numbers are the Go North East ones?'.
Another example of possible confusion for visitors/new bus users, is that in Central Newcastle there are bus services number 1 (Stagecoach), 1 & 1A (Go Ahead's Coaster), Q1 (Go Ahead's Quaylink), and X1 (Go Ahead's Red Arrows), yet the services have no relation to each other!  Dodgy 

Anyway, thats enough ranting for one day.  Rolleyes
Edited 13 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
13 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm #278

(13 Aug 2016, 9:53 am)JP6004 NE14NE1: London is London, our cities are nowhere near that size. The main purpose of them having centre doors is so people can alight quicker and board faster due to the short journeys they make. Up here, we tend to travel more than 5-10mins on a bus. I think the single doors do just fine.

The size of the city doesn't make much difference. Go Ahead Brighton and Hove have just purchased new dual door deckers for their service 1 I believe.
When the 3 door artic Citaros were on the Citylink and they opened all 3 doors for people to alight at Civic Centre/Uni of Northumbria & John Dobson St, the idle times were reduced as people could quickly pour out of the bus. And people boarding could do so right from the off rather than waiting for everyone to alight first.

I do see the benefits of route branding, as a local for example can easily identify their bus. However any new customers or visitors wouldn't have a clue as to who operates what and which ticket they'd need. And why should they need to know? Public transport should be easy and convenient. 
Ideally Mr & Mrs Bloggs visiting Newcastle/the North East could come out of Central Station, board a generic 'local bus' & buy a day ticket. If all the buses have a regional brand and all accept a regional ticket/card then there is no confusion of which coloured bus they need or by whom its operated. 
On the Coast Rd I often overhear passengers boarding but being told they can't use their ticket/pass on that bus, and that they need to wait for 'the green bus' (Arriva). Or they ask the (Arriva) drivers things like 'Well which bus numbers are the Go North East ones?'.
Another example of possible confusion for visitors/new bus users, is that in Central Newcastle there are bus services number 1 (Stagecoach), 1 & 1A (Go Ahead's Coaster), Q1 (Go Ahead's Quaylink), and X1 (Go Ahead's Red Arrows), yet the services have no relation to each other!  Dodgy 

Anyway, thats enough ranting for one day.  Rolleyes

Andreos1

13 Aug 2016, 12:47 pm #279
(13 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm)Adrian I had discussed with an Arriva driver before, and I think we counted double figures in the amount of daily/weekly/monthly ticketing options they have available on the X12. It's no wonder drivers get a bit confused by them.

I'm all for giving passengers choice, but I believe a simplified structure (whoever the operator is), would be of more benefit.
I imagine a driver on whatever number operates the new GNE service (11?) between North Tyneside and the Metrocentre will be pretty close to reaching double figures for ticket options on that route alone - never mind needing to know other options on other Riverside routes, such as the 27.

Andreos1
13 Aug 2016, 12:47 pm #279

(13 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm)Adrian I had discussed with an Arriva driver before, and I think we counted double figures in the amount of daily/weekly/monthly ticketing options they have available on the X12. It's no wonder drivers get a bit confused by them.

I'm all for giving passengers choice, but I believe a simplified structure (whoever the operator is), would be of more benefit.
I imagine a driver on whatever number operates the new GNE service (11?) between North Tyneside and the Metrocentre will be pretty close to reaching double figures for ticket options on that route alone - never mind needing to know other options on other Riverside routes, such as the 27.

Boggle

13 Aug 2016, 6:23 pm #280
(12 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm)Ambassador I passed it at 18.50 with no fitter in sight, amazing they'd leave it that long!

Maybe someone at the depot was seeing if they could get away with ditching it once and for all!

It broke down a couple of weeks ago when I was coming home from work on it.  It doesn't seem to be the best of the bunch.
Boggle
13 Aug 2016, 6:23 pm #280

(12 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm)Ambassador I passed it at 18.50 with no fitter in sight, amazing they'd leave it that long!

Maybe someone at the depot was seeing if they could get away with ditching it once and for all!

It broke down a couple of weeks ago when I was coming home from work on it.  It doesn't seem to be the best of the bunch.

Pages (35) Previous 113 14 1535 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average