Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28) Previous 125 26 27 28 Next
Acky81

28 Dec 2016, 3:54 pm #501
The 39 is not priority to go north east. Should of just kept the clippers
Acky81
28 Dec 2016, 3:54 pm #501

The 39 is not priority to go north east. Should of just kept the clippers

Michael

28 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm #502
(28 Dec 2016, 3:54 pm)Acky81 The 39 is not priority to go north east. Should of just kept the clippers

Of course it wasn't, GNE had 691 - 705 arriving from Thames Travel (expect for 697 which should arrive next month) , along with rest of the Omnidekka's from Brighton, which became their priority to get them out for service changes and withdrawal of older deckers ahead of the Double Decker DDA deadline.

691 has entered service on the X6/X7 today, hopefully the brand is applied on the Solo's soon.
Edited 28 Dec 2016, 4:01 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm #502

(28 Dec 2016, 3:54 pm)Acky81 The 39 is not priority to go north east. Should of just kept the clippers

Of course it wasn't, GNE had 691 - 705 arriving from Thames Travel (expect for 697 which should arrive next month) , along with rest of the Omnidekka's from Brighton, which became their priority to get them out for service changes and withdrawal of older deckers ahead of the Double Decker DDA deadline.

691 has entered service on the X6/X7 today, hopefully the brand is applied on the Solo's soon.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm #503
(28 Dec 2016, 3:45 pm)Dan Anyone would think Go North East had a strategy in which they've planned to launch a brand at a specific time...

Over the last few years the only strategy I've noticed GNE has is for reducing services and that seems to be done haphazardly without any overall planning, except you can rely on there being changes in Sunderland every few months!
Greg in Weardale
28 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm #503

(28 Dec 2016, 3:45 pm)Dan Anyone would think Go North East had a strategy in which they've planned to launch a brand at a specific time...

Over the last few years the only strategy I've noticed GNE has is for reducing services and that seems to be done haphazardly without any overall planning, except you can rely on there being changes in Sunderland every few months!

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2016, 5:47 pm #504
(28 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm)Greg in Weardale Over the last few years the only strategy I've noticed GNE has is for reducing services and that seems to be done haphazardly without any overall planning, except you can rely on there being changes in Sunderland every few months!

I can assure you that is not the case.
Dan
28 Dec 2016, 5:47 pm #504

(28 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm)Greg in Weardale Over the last few years the only strategy I've noticed GNE has is for reducing services and that seems to be done haphazardly without any overall planning, except you can rely on there being changes in Sunderland every few months!

I can assure you that is not the case.

JP6004

28 Dec 2016, 6:04 pm #505

Examples...
JP6004
28 Dec 2016, 6:04 pm #505

Examples...

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm #506
(28 Dec 2016, 6:04 pm)JP6004 Examples...

Well you know one of Greg's examples: the infamous X3!
Dan
28 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm #506

(28 Dec 2016, 6:04 pm)JP6004 Examples...

Well you know one of Greg's examples: the infamous X3!

Michael

28 Dec 2016, 6:09 pm #507

Well don't use the services then, all you do is moan about the company.
Edited 28 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2016, 6:09 pm #507

Well don't use the services then, all you do is moan about the company.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JP6004

28 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm #508
(28 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm)Dan Well you know one of Greg's examples: the infamous X3!

Ah yes, the one that was more packed than arrivas boxing day services...
JP6004
28 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm #508

(28 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm)Dan Well you know one of Greg's examples: the infamous X3!

Ah yes, the one that was more packed than arrivas boxing day services...

28 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm #509
(28 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm)JP6004 Ah yes, the one that was more packed than arrivas boxing day services...

While I have barely knowledge in Sunderland's history of bus routes, Overall as a company GNE have, In the past " cut " service's for profit, -
Same with other company's, So really, Whether or not in Sunderland, Greg is right.
Edited 28 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm by South Tyne Lad.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
28 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm #509

(28 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm)JP6004 Ah yes, the one that was more packed than arrivas boxing day services...

While I have barely knowledge in Sunderland's history of bus routes, Overall as a company GNE have, In the past " cut " service's for profit, -
Same with other company's, So really, Whether or not in Sunderland, Greg is right.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Michael

28 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm #510
(28 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm)South Tyne Lad While I have barely knowledge in Sunderland's history of bus routes, Overall as a company GNE have, In the past " cut " service's for profit, -

Stagecoach in Sunderland are about to cut some of their services too, but he always goes on as if it's just GNE who does it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm #510

(28 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm)South Tyne Lad While I have barely knowledge in Sunderland's history of bus routes, Overall as a company GNE have, In the past " cut " service's for profit, -

Stagecoach in Sunderland are about to cut some of their services too, but he always goes on as if it's just GNE who does it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JP6004

28 Dec 2016, 7:32 pm #511

Well you don't run a business to make a loss.

If you spend more on fuel tax wages maintenance than the service generates, you cannot sustain the service. If GNE continued to operate non profitable services, then they would no longer be in business.
JP6004
28 Dec 2016, 7:32 pm #511

Well you don't run a business to make a loss.

If you spend more on fuel tax wages maintenance than the service generates, you cannot sustain the service. If GNE continued to operate non profitable services, then they would no longer be in business.

S813 FVK

28 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm #512
Do we not think that the complaining is down to people failing to understand how businesses work? It is very easy to shoot down a business for doing something that goes against the customer without understanding why the business has made the decision that it has made.

All businesses exist to provide a product/service to the people in their target market. If this product/service does not appeal to the people that it is aimed at, it will not make a profit and will, therefore, be very difficult to justify its continuation. If they continued to provide the service at a loss, the business would simply struggle to survive, affecting a much larger group of people. After all, it is very rare for Go North East to remove a service and not to give customers an alternative method of getting to their destination, such as the recent extension of the 202 from Peterlee to Station Town replacing service X7 on that section of the route.
S813 FVK
28 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm #512

Do we not think that the complaining is down to people failing to understand how businesses work? It is very easy to shoot down a business for doing something that goes against the customer without understanding why the business has made the decision that it has made.

All businesses exist to provide a product/service to the people in their target market. If this product/service does not appeal to the people that it is aimed at, it will not make a profit and will, therefore, be very difficult to justify its continuation. If they continued to provide the service at a loss, the business would simply struggle to survive, affecting a much larger group of people. After all, it is very rare for Go North East to remove a service and not to give customers an alternative method of getting to their destination, such as the recent extension of the 202 from Peterlee to Station Town replacing service X7 on that section of the route.

Adrian

28 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm #513
(28 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm)S813 FVK Do we not think that the complaining is down to people failing to understand how businesses work? It is very easy to shoot down a business for doing something that goes against the customer without understanding why the business has made the decision that it has made.

But it is irrelevant if the customer understands the business behind it or not. There seems to quite often be the misconception that the consumer cares about how a company achieves it's margins, how it justifies it mark up pricing or what not. It is not their concern, and quite frankly most of them will not care. It is up to a business to remain competitive but still provide a product or service to meet the customer's expectations at a price where they feel value. Otherwise, and quite simply, they'll go elsewhere. 

Unfortunately, the majority of bus operators' customers' do not have that choice, because competition is so scarce. They find that the only alternative is often to learn to drive/take the car.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm #513

(28 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm)S813 FVK Do we not think that the complaining is down to people failing to understand how businesses work? It is very easy to shoot down a business for doing something that goes against the customer without understanding why the business has made the decision that it has made.

But it is irrelevant if the customer understands the business behind it or not. There seems to quite often be the misconception that the consumer cares about how a company achieves it's margins, how it justifies it mark up pricing or what not. It is not their concern, and quite frankly most of them will not care. It is up to a business to remain competitive but still provide a product or service to meet the customer's expectations at a price where they feel value. Otherwise, and quite simply, they'll go elsewhere. 

Unfortunately, the majority of bus operators' customers' do not have that choice, because competition is so scarce. They find that the only alternative is often to learn to drive/take the car.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Michael

28 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm #514

Shame we lost the Boro link but least we still have the X9, from Peterlee bus station and the X10 from else where.

Like you said, if it's not working then it needs changing.

I know i moaned a bit about the 18/19 changing in Sunderland but that's because i use the service, but it's only the first of 18 of the day which i really need to stay the same.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 brings for all the bus companys.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm #514

Shame we lost the Boro link but least we still have the X9, from Peterlee bus station and the X10 from else where.

Like you said, if it's not working then it needs changing.

I know i moaned a bit about the 18/19 changing in Sunderland but that's because i use the service, but it's only the first of 18 of the day which i really need to stay the same.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 brings for all the bus companys.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Dec 2016, 8:08 pm #515
(28 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm)Adrian But it is irrelevant if the customer understands the business behind it or not. There seems to quite often be the misconception that the consumer cares about how a company achieves it's margins, how it justifies it mark up pricing or what not. It is not their concern, and quite frankly most of them will not care. It is up to a business to remain competitive but still provide a product or service to meet the customer's expectations at a price where they feel value. Otherwise, and quite simply, they'll go elsewhere. 

Exactly - there is competition on all routes - the car! Just because only one operator runs a service doesn't mean there is no competition. It's in the operators interest to run a quality service where people want to go, otherwise they'll use a car instead, and operators won't have a business anymore. there's no point having two operators run a service and neither of them carry enough passengers to cover costs
Crusader
28 Dec 2016, 8:08 pm #515

(28 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm)Adrian But it is irrelevant if the customer understands the business behind it or not. There seems to quite often be the misconception that the consumer cares about how a company achieves it's margins, how it justifies it mark up pricing or what not. It is not their concern, and quite frankly most of them will not care. It is up to a business to remain competitive but still provide a product or service to meet the customer's expectations at a price where they feel value. Otherwise, and quite simply, they'll go elsewhere. 

Exactly - there is competition on all routes - the car! Just because only one operator runs a service doesn't mean there is no competition. It's in the operators interest to run a quality service where people want to go, otherwise they'll use a car instead, and operators won't have a business anymore. there's no point having two operators run a service and neither of them carry enough passengers to cover costs

28 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm #516
I'm also aware of the fact that GNE is not the only company frequently altering services - Arriva always seem to be doing it north of the Tyne, but my comment was in relation to Dan saying GNE have a strategy, which it doesn't seem to. Look at the number of times buses are repainted or buses rebranded without any thought of what was to happen to that brand like when OmniCitys, for example, were branded Toonlink only a month or two before the brand changed routes -  the X30/1 therefore had to be Toonlink as well as the unrelated 12/12A to justify the repainting. I don't take much interest in Stagecoach, only really knowing a bit about their Teesside operations and, as I've said before, thought Arriva are pretty rubbish, although they seem to have been improving  over the last few years, whilst GNE seem to have been declining. I don't know enough about Arriva, especially north of the Tyne, to know if their regular changes are in fact cuts. The latest Go Ahead report did say however that their North East operations are experiencing difficulties which have affected corporate financial results this year.
Greg in Weardale
28 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm #516

I'm also aware of the fact that GNE is not the only company frequently altering services - Arriva always seem to be doing it north of the Tyne, but my comment was in relation to Dan saying GNE have a strategy, which it doesn't seem to. Look at the number of times buses are repainted or buses rebranded without any thought of what was to happen to that brand like when OmniCitys, for example, were branded Toonlink only a month or two before the brand changed routes -  the X30/1 therefore had to be Toonlink as well as the unrelated 12/12A to justify the repainting. I don't take much interest in Stagecoach, only really knowing a bit about their Teesside operations and, as I've said before, thought Arriva are pretty rubbish, although they seem to have been improving  over the last few years, whilst GNE seem to have been declining. I don't know enough about Arriva, especially north of the Tyne, to know if their regular changes are in fact cuts. The latest Go Ahead report did say however that their North East operations are experiencing difficulties which have affected corporate financial results this year.

S813 FVK

28 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm #517
The X30/X31 becoming part of the Toon Link network was not the original plan, it was the 96 that was going to join the brand, interworking with the 11 which was already part of the brand. I would say that the 96 had no relation to the 11/12/12A either other than the fact it interworked with one of those services.
S813 FVK
28 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm #517

The X30/X31 becoming part of the Toon Link network was not the original plan, it was the 96 that was going to join the brand, interworking with the 11 which was already part of the brand. I would say that the 96 had no relation to the 11/12/12A either other than the fact it interworked with one of those services.

Michael

28 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm #518
I have to agree with you on that Greg.

Another example is also the changes to the 17/17A etc... The 40/41 got new buses and then changed juat after, meaning 4 older Solo Sr's had to be repainted to join the brand.

Cobalt Clipper too, they changed them after they got new buses so the PVR went up meaning they lost a spare....

I bet it happens with the new buses arriving too.
Edited 28 Dec 2016, 8:36 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm #518

I have to agree with you on that Greg.

Another example is also the changes to the 17/17A etc... The 40/41 got new buses and then changed juat after, meaning 4 older Solo Sr's had to be repainted to join the brand.

Cobalt Clipper too, they changed them after they got new buses so the PVR went up meaning they lost a spare....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

L469 YVK

28 Dec 2016, 9:17 pm #519
(28 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm)Michael I have to agree with you on that Greg.

Even though the PVR increased by 1 on the Clippers, it actually (barring before 7am and after 10pm to and from Newcastle) offered a better service plus looking into the number of complaints flooding in at the time about the 308 (may have improved now) gave good justification to increase the frequency between Whitley Bay and Blyth but still leaving 1x spare.
L469 YVK
28 Dec 2016, 9:17 pm #519

(28 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm)Michael I have to agree with you on that Greg.

Even though the PVR increased by 1 on the Clippers, it actually (barring before 7am and after 10pm to and from Newcastle) offered a better service plus looking into the number of complaints flooding in at the time about the 308 (may have improved now) gave good justification to increase the frequency between Whitley Bay and Blyth but still leaving 1x spare.

28 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm #520
When I moved from Norfolk to Weardale in 2009 Go North East was interesting and innovative and, let's face it, Arriva was pretty bad. GNE was led by dynamic manager(s), ran what seemed to me logical timetables in a good overall network. I thought it a positive move that various less frequent routes were grouped into single 10 minute headway services eg X1, 27, 56. But over the last few years the innovation and dynamism have gone and we have too-frequent piecemeal chopping and changing and some really badly designed timetables - but in spite of the cuts the finances  aren't improving according to the comments in the annual report. I have no knowledge of Arriva's financial performance, but they've definitely improved the public perception of themselves with Sapphire, Max and Frequenta, even though Max is often just tarting up pretty ancient buses. GNE must reverse the decline and in my humble opinion (as a bus company manager in a previous life) that can be done by looking at their network as a whole, rather than by frequent bitty individual route changes, and simplifying the fare structure - cheapish area tickets are OK for regular passengers changing buses, but you've got to attract occasional users as well who want a reasonably priced day return from A to B and an incentive not to take the car.
Greg in Weardale
28 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm #520

When I moved from Norfolk to Weardale in 2009 Go North East was interesting and innovative and, let's face it, Arriva was pretty bad. GNE was led by dynamic manager(s), ran what seemed to me logical timetables in a good overall network. I thought it a positive move that various less frequent routes were grouped into single 10 minute headway services eg X1, 27, 56. But over the last few years the innovation and dynamism have gone and we have too-frequent piecemeal chopping and changing and some really badly designed timetables - but in spite of the cuts the finances  aren't improving according to the comments in the annual report. I have no knowledge of Arriva's financial performance, but they've definitely improved the public perception of themselves with Sapphire, Max and Frequenta, even though Max is often just tarting up pretty ancient buses. GNE must reverse the decline and in my humble opinion (as a bus company manager in a previous life) that can be done by looking at their network as a whole, rather than by frequent bitty individual route changes, and simplifying the fare structure - cheapish area tickets are OK for regular passengers changing buses, but you've got to attract occasional users as well who want a reasonably priced day return from A to B and an incentive not to take the car.

Pages (28) Previous 125 26 27 28 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average