Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21
Dan

Site Administrator

29 Sep 2017, 10:10 am #401
(29 Sep 2017, 9:32 am)idiot USB points on the streetlites are not good enough to charge a phone - clever that!

(29 Sep 2017, 9:49 am)omnicity4659 I've never had problems with USB chargers, usually putting it in airplane mode charges the phone quicker.

Not just Streetlites, and not just an issue unique to Go North East.

Most new Android devices support 'fast charging' - as soon as you're used to charging your device by this means, any charger which doesn't support 'fast charging' becomes a bit... naff.

I find USB chargers on all buses only just manage to retain your charge if you carry on using your device during the journey. It charges quicker if you don't use the device  - but then what's the point in having free Wi-Fi on the bus? Personally think that three-pin sockets are much better and a shame all operators seem to be moving away from them (cost of maintenance, health and safety gone mad, etc).

The only plus to USB chargers is that because of the lower power supply, they can be left 'on' by default. Manufacturers don't permit the 240v three-pin sockets to be left 'on' by default and as such every time the driver turns on the ignition, also has to switch the sockets on (which they rarely do - let's face it, it'd be on the bottom of the list of things for drivers to be worrying about on the road!)
Dan
29 Sep 2017, 10:10 am #401

(29 Sep 2017, 9:32 am)idiot USB points on the streetlites are not good enough to charge a phone - clever that!

(29 Sep 2017, 9:49 am)omnicity4659 I've never had problems with USB chargers, usually putting it in airplane mode charges the phone quicker.

Not just Streetlites, and not just an issue unique to Go North East.

Most new Android devices support 'fast charging' - as soon as you're used to charging your device by this means, any charger which doesn't support 'fast charging' becomes a bit... naff.

I find USB chargers on all buses only just manage to retain your charge if you carry on using your device during the journey. It charges quicker if you don't use the device  - but then what's the point in having free Wi-Fi on the bus? Personally think that three-pin sockets are much better and a shame all operators seem to be moving away from them (cost of maintenance, health and safety gone mad, etc).

The only plus to USB chargers is that because of the lower power supply, they can be left 'on' by default. Manufacturers don't permit the 240v three-pin sockets to be left 'on' by default and as such every time the driver turns on the ignition, also has to switch the sockets on (which they rarely do - let's face it, it'd be on the bottom of the list of things for drivers to be worrying about on the road!)

BusLoverMum

29 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm #402

I think they're 0.5A. enough to keep it stable with undemanding usage, but not to quick charge.

Might be a good idea to invest in a decent battery pack.
BusLoverMum
29 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm #402

I think they're 0.5A. enough to keep it stable with undemanding usage, but not to quick charge.

Might be a good idea to invest in a decent battery pack.

idiot

29 Sep 2017, 12:49 pm #403
I have USB charger in the house on am extension lead which charges okay. I have a power bank but it was dead yesterday unfortunately lol
idiot
29 Sep 2017, 12:49 pm #403

I have USB charger in the house on am extension lead which charges okay. I have a power bank but it was dead yesterday unfortunately lol

29 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm #404
(27 Sep 2017, 5:06 am)Dan The trouble with the Mercedes Sprinters is that, because they have such a small capacity, they are unsuitable for 95% of the services which Go North East operates. The 5% of the services they could be allocated to are fine, but as all of these are contracted services, what happens with the bus at the end of that contract? It can't always be guaranteed that Go North East would retain the contract, or that the council would continue funding this contract.

The operations around the Go-Ahead Group are much the same, meaning that if Go North East lost the contract, they couldn't easily dispose of the Mercedes Sprinter to another opco.

The way that Go North East procures its buses and then disposes of them means that there has to be solid ground to stand on to buy something, then the asset depreciates over x number of years (if I recall correctly; 10 for a minibus, 12 for a midibus, 15 for a full size single/double deck). A 5-year contract isn't enough - it would have to be a 10-year contract, of which there aren't many! Even if there was, you'd have the issue that you'd be ordering something completely non-standard in the fleet and unproven over that amount of years. More likely Go North East will stick to Solos as their preferred minibus.

9095 left the fleet some time ago - around the time when Tynedale Links Solo 670 returned to service at Hexham following temporary loan to Riverside. Our news/fleet list out of date! Will correct it today.

Yes, I can understand that. It would be a big investment for a one off vehicle to operate a route which is on a short term contract, compared to the life cycle of the vehicle.

Thanks for the info.
thetravelman
29 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm #404

(27 Sep 2017, 5:06 am)Dan The trouble with the Mercedes Sprinters is that, because they have such a small capacity, they are unsuitable for 95% of the services which Go North East operates. The 5% of the services they could be allocated to are fine, but as all of these are contracted services, what happens with the bus at the end of that contract? It can't always be guaranteed that Go North East would retain the contract, or that the council would continue funding this contract.

The operations around the Go-Ahead Group are much the same, meaning that if Go North East lost the contract, they couldn't easily dispose of the Mercedes Sprinter to another opco.

The way that Go North East procures its buses and then disposes of them means that there has to be solid ground to stand on to buy something, then the asset depreciates over x number of years (if I recall correctly; 10 for a minibus, 12 for a midibus, 15 for a full size single/double deck). A 5-year contract isn't enough - it would have to be a 10-year contract, of which there aren't many! Even if there was, you'd have the issue that you'd be ordering something completely non-standard in the fleet and unproven over that amount of years. More likely Go North East will stick to Solos as their preferred minibus.

9095 left the fleet some time ago - around the time when Tynedale Links Solo 670 returned to service at Hexham following temporary loan to Riverside. Our news/fleet list out of date! Will correct it today.

Yes, I can understand that. It would be a big investment for a one off vehicle to operate a route which is on a short term contract, compared to the life cycle of the vehicle.

Thanks for the info.

park5354

29 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm #405
4942 looks like its had a repaint, in plain red only.
park5354
29 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm #405

4942 looks like its had a repaint, in plain red only.

29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm #406
(29 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm)park5354 4942 looks like its had a repaint, in plain red only.

Whilst in Costco the other night, a Scania L94 Solar passed with an Engineer at the wheel. It was heading away from Riverside depot blinded up for 10b to Newcastle.

I thought then that this vehicle looked nice and shiny Red, as if it had been repainted. I didn't get its fleet number but it could of possibly been 4942. 

If it has been repainted, why would it be in just Red.
thetravelman
29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm #406

(29 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm)park5354 4942 looks like its had a repaint, in plain red only.

Whilst in Costco the other night, a Scania L94 Solar passed with an Engineer at the wheel. It was heading away from Riverside depot blinded up for 10b to Newcastle.

I thought then that this vehicle looked nice and shiny Red, as if it had been repainted. I didn't get its fleet number but it could of possibly been 4942. 

Simmy

29 Sep 2017, 11:55 pm #407
(29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm)thetravelman Whilst in Costco the other night, a Scania L94 Solar passed with an Engineer at the wheel. It was heading away from Riverside depot blinded up for 10b to Newcastle.

Disposal soon? Therefore no need for the third-party branding company to attend in order to install corporate taglines and further branding?
Simmy
29 Sep 2017, 11:55 pm #407

(29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm)thetravelman Whilst in Costco the other night, a Scania L94 Solar passed with an Engineer at the wheel. It was heading away from Riverside depot blinded up for 10b to Newcastle.

Disposal soon? Therefore no need for the third-party branding company to attend in order to install corporate taglines and further branding?

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Sep 2017, 5:24 am #408
(29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm)thetravelman If it has been repainted, why would it be in just Red.

Bodywork in poor condition, so lower panels only repainted red. It isn't likely to be disposed of in the immediate future, so just to up quality standards.

It has also been fitted with side and rear LED destinations - there's a plan in the works for all buses which retain flipdot displays to have them replaced with LEDs, over the coming weeks.
Dan
30 Sep 2017, 5:24 am #408

(29 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm)thetravelman If it has been repainted, why would it be in just Red.

Bodywork in poor condition, so lower panels only repainted red. It isn't likely to be disposed of in the immediate future, so just to up quality standards.

It has also been fitted with side and rear LED destinations - there's a plan in the works for all buses which retain flipdot displays to have them replaced with LEDs, over the coming weeks.

Michael

30 Sep 2017, 8:33 am #409
(30 Sep 2017, 5:24 am)Dan Bodywork in poor condition, so lower panels only repainted red. It isn't likely to be disposed of in the immediate future, so just to up quality standards.

Will 6100 ever receive the new Go North East livery?, infact will any of the younger buses such as the red Omnicities ever get the 2016 fleet lvery?
Edited 30 Sep 2017, 8:36 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Sep 2017, 8:33 am #409

(30 Sep 2017, 5:24 am)Dan Bodywork in poor condition, so lower panels only repainted red. It isn't likely to be disposed of in the immediate future, so just to up quality standards.

Will 6100 ever receive the new Go North East livery?, infact will any of the younger buses such as the red Omnicities ever get the 2016 fleet lvery?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

30 Sep 2017, 8:47 am #410
(30 Sep 2017, 8:33 am)Michael Will 6100 ever receive the new Go North East livery?, infact will any of the younger buses such as the red Omnicities ever get the 2016 fleet lvery?

I would like to think that, once they get the TTX B9s completed, they will start to focus on the corporate livery repaints again. They seemed to complete the Omnidekkas and then everything just died.
S813 FVK
30 Sep 2017, 8:47 am #410

(30 Sep 2017, 8:33 am)Michael Will 6100 ever receive the new Go North East livery?, infact will any of the younger buses such as the red Omnicities ever get the 2016 fleet lvery?

I would like to think that, once they get the TTX B9s completed, they will start to focus on the corporate livery repaints again. They seemed to complete the Omnidekkas and then everything just died.

Michael

30 Sep 2017, 8:52 am #411
(30 Sep 2017, 8:47 am)S813 FVK I would like to think that, once they get the TTX B9s completed, they will start to focus on the corporate livery repaints again. They seemed to complete the Omnidekkas and then everything just died.

When ever that'll be, is there anything coming up after the golf?, like as in contracted services, which need a higher amount of buses?

------------

When 5298 comes back from Blackburn will it be Orange or will that be the spare?, as its yet to go to Blackburn.
Edited 30 Sep 2017, 9:57 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Sep 2017, 8:52 am #411

(30 Sep 2017, 8:47 am)S813 FVK I would like to think that, once they get the TTX B9s completed, they will start to focus on the corporate livery repaints again. They seemed to complete the Omnidekkas and then everything just died.

When ever that'll be, is there anything coming up after the golf?, like as in contracted services, which need a higher amount of buses?

------------

When 5298 comes back from Blackburn will it be Orange or will that be the spare?, as its yet to go to Blackburn.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S830OFT

30 Sep 2017, 4:14 pm #412
Has 4899 been withdrawn? It's in the death row at Riverside.

S830OFT
30 Sep 2017, 4:14 pm #412

Has 4899 been withdrawn? It's in the death row at Riverside.

30 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm #413
The Tyne Valley Ten must of had some delays/disruption this afternoon as there were 2 number 10's running together at around 5:30pm today between Corbridge and Riding Mill heading towards Newcastle.
thetravelman
30 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm #413

The Tyne Valley Ten must of had some delays/disruption this afternoon as there were 2 number 10's running together at around 5:30pm today between Corbridge and Riding Mill heading towards Newcastle.

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average