Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (21): Previous 1 2 321 Next
Andreos1

01 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm #21
(01 Sep 2017, 8:31 pm)citaro5284 Cannot do much when the vehicles are delayed by the manufacturer.

That's just poor planning though. Having some sort of give in delivery is surely a must?
Just incase there's an issue with production, PDI's, ferry crossings etc

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm #21

(01 Sep 2017, 8:31 pm)citaro5284 Cannot do much when the vehicles are delayed by the manufacturer.

That's just poor planning though. Having some sort of give in delivery is surely a must?

S813 FVK

01 Sep 2017, 9:22 pm #22
(01 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm)JP6004 It looks really smart. Dont like the rear at all especially since all the windows are covered up

The downstairs rear isn't too much of an issue to me, the windows are usually higher than the seats so you can't see out of them very well anyway. I don't like the vinyl on the top window though. If I was sat there I would look out of the rear window every now and then, something I wouldn't be able to do here. I am not necessarily part of the #saveourwindows gang but in the instance where the vinyl blocking the window looks out of place, I don't think it should be there.

It was mentioned when the drawing was first published online but I wish they had swapped Peterlee and Dalton Park around, likewise with the Wear Xpress Solo SRs. I was initially ok with them being in that order but then I remembered that I was contradicting myself since I am not a massive fan of Sunderland and Durham being the wrong way round on the Prince Bishops cant rail vinyl.

Compared to the Tyne Tees Xpress, the new livery looks far more superior and eye-catching. I have never really understood why the 'NE' is a different colour to the 'TY' - it is something I have never been a fan of. My opinion of the branding is guaranteed to change from 'it isn't the best' to 'wow that is really good' when I actually see it for myself but there will always be parts that I'd like to see changed.
S813 FVK
01 Sep 2017, 9:22 pm #22

(01 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm)JP6004 It looks really smart. Dont like the rear at all especially since all the windows are covered up

The downstairs rear isn't too much of an issue to me, the windows are usually higher than the seats so you can't see out of them very well anyway. I don't like the vinyl on the top window though. If I was sat there I would look out of the rear window every now and then, something I wouldn't be able to do here. I am not necessarily part of the #saveourwindows gang but in the instance where the vinyl blocking the window looks out of place, I don't think it should be there.

It was mentioned when the drawing was first published online but I wish they had swapped Peterlee and Dalton Park around, likewise with the Wear Xpress Solo SRs. I was initially ok with them being in that order but then I remembered that I was contradicting myself since I am not a massive fan of Sunderland and Durham being the wrong way round on the Prince Bishops cant rail vinyl.

Compared to the Tyne Tees Xpress, the new livery looks far more superior and eye-catching. I have never really understood why the 'NE' is a different colour to the 'TY' - it is something I have never been a fan of. My opinion of the branding is guaranteed to change from 'it isn't the best' to 'wow that is really good' when I actually see it for myself but there will always be parts that I'd like to see changed.

James101

01 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm #23
(01 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm)Andreos1 That's just poor planning though. Having some sort of give in delivery is surely a must?

Agreed, if I'd spent £1.6 million on something I'd want it delivered on time.  I'd have hoped GNE would have told Wright the launch was mid-August to ensure on-time delivery -common sense?

I really like the livery, given recent incidents are GNE now pre-applying fire effect vinyls?  Big Grin 

And putting an image of a full bus with standees to tempt motorists following behind on the A19? Hmmmm
James101
01 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm #23

(01 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm)Andreos1 That's just poor planning though. Having some sort of give in delivery is surely a must?

Agreed, if I'd spent £1.6 million on something I'd want it delivered on time.  I'd have hoped GNE would have told Wright the launch was mid-August to ensure on-time delivery -common sense?

I really like the livery, given recent incidents are GNE now pre-applying fire effect vinyls?  Big Grin 

And putting an image of a full bus with standees to tempt motorists following behind on the A19? Hmmmm

01 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm #24
(01 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm)James101 And putting an image of a full bus with standees to tempt motorists following behind on the A19? Hmmmm

Haha good point hadn't clocked that - maybe they still need to add the tagline 'you too could stand for an hour and a half instead of sitting in your comfy car for half that long'
stagecoachbusdepot
01 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm #24

(01 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm)James101 And putting an image of a full bus with standees to tempt motorists following behind on the A19? Hmmmm

Haha good point hadn't clocked that - maybe they still need to add the tagline 'you too could stand for an hour and a half instead of sitting in your comfy car for half that long'

S813 FVK

01 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm #25
(01 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Haha good point hadn't clocked that - maybe they still need to add the tagline 'you too could stand for an hour and a half instead of sitting in your comfy car for half that long'

Perhaps it should be 'This is what our passengers on The Castles Express need to put up with but on the X9|X10, bigger buses means you're guaranteed a seat!'
S813 FVK
01 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm #25

(01 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Haha good point hadn't clocked that - maybe they still need to add the tagline 'you too could stand for an hour and a half instead of sitting in your comfy car for half that long'

Perhaps it should be 'This is what our passengers on The Castles Express need to put up with but on the X9|X10, bigger buses means you're guaranteed a seat!'

LeeCalder

02 Sep 2017, 4:01 am #26
I think from the side it looks good, from the rear though - awful.
LeeCalder
02 Sep 2017, 4:01 am #26

I think from the side it looks good, from the rear though - awful.

citaro5284

02 Sep 2017, 6:00 am #27

Not really.  You order a bus a months in advance and are given a rough delivery date, it is not nearer the time you are given a more robust delivery plan, but by then like the X9/X10, the service has be registered 8 weeks in advance, so you can register a service before you know the proper delivery plan of the vehicles. 

Other bus companies have exactly the same issue when they order new vehicles - all cannot have bad planning.
citaro5284
02 Sep 2017, 6:00 am #27

Not really.  You order a bus a months in advance and are given a rough delivery date, it is not nearer the time you are given a more robust delivery plan, but by then like the X9/X10, the service has be registered 8 weeks in advance, so you can register a service before you know the proper delivery plan of the vehicles. 

Other bus companies have exactly the same issue when they order new vehicles - all cannot have bad planning.

missedbus

02 Sep 2017, 7:25 am #28
(02 Sep 2017, 6:00 am)citaro5284 Not really.  You order a bus a months in advance and are given a rough delivery date, it is not nearer the time you are given a more robust delivery plan, but by then like the X9/X10, the service has be registered 8 weeks in advance, so you can register a service before you know the proper delivery plan of the vehicles. 

Exactly, and you can't expect a business like GNE to quote an August relaunch date when they intend to launch the following month, only for Wrightbus to deliver on time and the assets to be sitting around for weeks before earning their keep.
missedbus
02 Sep 2017, 7:25 am #28

(02 Sep 2017, 6:00 am)citaro5284 Not really.  You order a bus a months in advance and are given a rough delivery date, it is not nearer the time you are given a more robust delivery plan, but by then like the X9/X10, the service has be registered 8 weeks in advance, so you can register a service before you know the proper delivery plan of the vehicles. 

Exactly, and you can't expect a business like GNE to quote an August relaunch date when they intend to launch the following month, only for Wrightbus to deliver on time and the assets to be sitting around for weeks before earning their keep.

Andreos1

02 Sep 2017, 8:12 am #29

Agreed that it's all operators.
It's the same with any industry that relies on assets being delivered. Whether that's a car dealership or a haulage firm.
Heck, if I was wanting to see a sequel to a film, I would be disappointed to pay my money having seen the launch in the media, to find out the cinema was still showing an earlier version. Only because theres an issue with delivering the film.

An operator knows they have that 8 week window, knows vinyls need applying, know that type training may need completing and knows there could be delays in delivery.
It's not rocket science to plan a bit give.

Andreos1
02 Sep 2017, 8:12 am #29

Agreed that it's all operators.
It's the same with any industry that relies on assets being delivered. Whether that's a car dealership or a haulage firm.
Heck, if I was wanting to see a sequel to a film, I would be disappointed to pay my money having seen the launch in the media, to find out the cinema was still showing an earlier version. Only because theres an issue with delivering the film.

An operator knows they have that 8 week window, knows vinyls need applying, know that type training may need completing and knows there could be delays in delivery.
It's not rocket science to plan a bit give.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Sep 2017, 9:05 am #30

(02 Sep 2017, 4:01 am)LeeCalder I think from the side it looks good, from the rear though - awful.

The rear is different to anything what we've seen in recent designs. There'll be five different designs - one showing a businessman, another showing a woman shopping, another showing a student, etc... 'Synergy' comes to mind - linking the brand to the service itself - the woman could have been shopping at Dalton Park, the student going to the college/uni served by the X10...

I'd suggest that there is a strong public perception that people who travel on public transport are beneath those on the Social Class hierarchy compared to those who travel by car - bus users smell, aren't as clean, and similar. Possibly not helped at times by the internal cleanliness of the buses themselves (picked up on recently elsewhere on the forum).

This idea is clever, and although it possibly isn't as obvious at first glance as it ought to be (unless it's planned to be supported by other forms of marketing associated with the new brand and new vehicles), I believe the intention is to show car users that they do have some commonality with bus users. These people shown inside the bus don't show the stereotypical signs of being smelly, unclean, and similar. Maybe they could try out the bus and see what it's like for themselves - especially based on the messages suggesting that fares are 'great value' etc. Obviously, it isn't to show someone standing on a full bus.
Dan
02 Sep 2017, 9:05 am #30

(02 Sep 2017, 4:01 am)LeeCalder I think from the side it looks good, from the rear though - awful.

The rear is different to anything what we've seen in recent designs. There'll be five different designs - one showing a businessman, another showing a woman shopping, another showing a student, etc... 'Synergy' comes to mind - linking the brand to the service itself - the woman could have been shopping at Dalton Park, the student going to the college/uni served by the X10...

I'd suggest that there is a strong public perception that people who travel on public transport are beneath those on the Social Class hierarchy compared to those who travel by car - bus users smell, aren't as clean, and similar. Possibly not helped at times by the internal cleanliness of the buses themselves (picked up on recently elsewhere on the forum).

This idea is clever, and although it possibly isn't as obvious at first glance as it ought to be (unless it's planned to be supported by other forms of marketing associated with the new brand and new vehicles), I believe the intention is to show car users that they do have some commonality with bus users. These people shown inside the bus don't show the stereotypical signs of being smelly, unclean, and similar. Maybe they could try out the bus and see what it's like for themselves - especially based on the messages suggesting that fares are 'great value' etc. Obviously, it isn't to show someone standing on a full bus.

S813 FVK

02 Sep 2017, 9:06 am #31
5209 at Chester-le-Street and is on the 13/X25 today
S813 FVK
02 Sep 2017, 9:06 am #31

5209 at Chester-le-Street and is on the 13/X25 today

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Sep 2017, 9:13 am #32
(01 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm)RBZ 5459 I quite like it. Although shame about the vinyl slapped on the top deck back window. A slight after thought by the looks of it.

Not an after thought at all. Sell, sell, and sell again. Some brands have meaning - this one less so. It's a hard sell, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a lot of repetition of the features available on the X9/X10 services (free Wi-Fi, contactless payments, etc) and it's all done in the interests of getting more people on the bus on a heavily competitive route with rail services.

It was originally planned for the 'bus user' photograph to be further up the bus, with the yellow 'block' on the rear upper-deck window to be at the very bottom (easier for cars behind to see). Clearly this wouldn't have been possible based on the bus design and where the rear destination display is, so things were shuffled around. It's not the best in terms of design, but nobody can deny it stands out a mile, which can only be a good thing?
Dan
02 Sep 2017, 9:13 am #32

(01 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm)RBZ 5459 I quite like it. Although shame about the vinyl slapped on the top deck back window. A slight after thought by the looks of it.

Not an after thought at all. Sell, sell, and sell again. Some brands have meaning - this one less so. It's a hard sell, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a lot of repetition of the features available on the X9/X10 services (free Wi-Fi, contactless payments, etc) and it's all done in the interests of getting more people on the bus on a heavily competitive route with rail services.

It was originally planned for the 'bus user' photograph to be further up the bus, with the yellow 'block' on the rear upper-deck window to be at the very bottom (easier for cars behind to see). Clearly this wouldn't have been possible based on the bus design and where the rear destination display is, so things were shuffled around. It's not the best in terms of design, but nobody can deny it stands out a mile, which can only be a good thing?

citaro5284

02 Sep 2017, 9:21 am #33

Lets hope the stickers hold better than the Streetdecks on Castles or the poor bloke - he will end up legless on the A19...and we all know that could be dangerous  Tongue
citaro5284
02 Sep 2017, 9:21 am #33

Lets hope the stickers hold better than the Streetdecks on Castles or the poor bloke - he will end up legless on the A19...and we all know that could be dangerous  Tongue

Michael

02 Sep 2017, 9:24 am #34
How many adults look out of the rear window on a bus?, because i don't.

I see no one complaining about the Stagecoach Gas buses which have their rear window covered. (well apart from a few)

(02 Sep 2017, 9:21 am)citaro5284 Lets hope the stickers hold better than the Streetdecks on Castles or the poor bloke - he will end up legless on the A19...and we all know that could be dangerous  Tongue

The flowers are starting to come off the FAB 56 too.

--------

Go North East haven't uploaded the new 33/33A timetable.
Edited 02 Sep 2017, 9:29 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Sep 2017, 9:24 am #34

How many adults look out of the rear window on a bus?, because i don't.

I see no one complaining about the Stagecoach Gas buses which have their rear window covered. (well apart from a few)

(02 Sep 2017, 9:21 am)citaro5284 Lets hope the stickers hold better than the Streetdecks on Castles or the poor bloke - he will end up legless on the A19...and we all know that could be dangerous  Tongue

The flowers are starting to come off the FAB 56 too.

--------

Go North East haven't uploaded the new 33/33A timetable.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Sep 2017, 9:31 am #35
(02 Sep 2017, 9:24 am)Michael The flowers are starting to come off the FAB 56 too.

Vinyls are only ever expected to last around five years, so should ideally be replaced before this point. Go North East usually repaints its fleet on a four-year cycle which should solve the majority of issues.

A stronger adhesive is now being used for any vinyls being applied to the rears of buses, due to how warm this area on the bus gets. All of the Castles Express StreetDecks had their rear vinyls replaced a month or two ago with the new stronger adhesive. 6302 has also had a new vinyl fitted to the rear of the bus, covering the Wrightbus logo, with a large Go North East logo and the company's new slogan (Journeys taken care of).
Dan
02 Sep 2017, 9:31 am #35

(02 Sep 2017, 9:24 am)Michael The flowers are starting to come off the FAB 56 too.

Vinyls are only ever expected to last around five years, so should ideally be replaced before this point. Go North East usually repaints its fleet on a four-year cycle which should solve the majority of issues.

A stronger adhesive is now being used for any vinyls being applied to the rears of buses, due to how warm this area on the bus gets. All of the Castles Express StreetDecks had their rear vinyls replaced a month or two ago with the new stronger adhesive. 6302 has also had a new vinyl fitted to the rear of the bus, covering the Wrightbus logo, with a large Go North East logo and the company's new slogan (Journeys taken care of).

Michael

02 Sep 2017, 9:35 am #36
(02 Sep 2017, 9:31 am)Dan Vinyls are only ever expected to last around five years, so should ideally be replaced before this point. Go North East usually repaints its fleet on a four-year cycle which should solve the majority of issues.

I hope when they go for a repaint, they don't come back with flowers on......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Sep 2017, 9:35 am #36

(02 Sep 2017, 9:31 am)Dan Vinyls are only ever expected to last around five years, so should ideally be replaced before this point. Go North East usually repaints its fleet on a four-year cycle which should solve the majority of issues.

I hope when they go for a repaint, they don't come back with flowers on......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

misfit

02 Sep 2017, 10:38 am #37
Didn't take 3888 long to find it's way to Saltmeatows. Noted there 0800 this morning.
Edited 02 Sep 2017, 10:38 am by misfit.
misfit
02 Sep 2017, 10:38 am #37

Didn't take 3888 long to find it's way to Saltmeatows. Noted there 0800 this morning.

BFK

02 Sep 2017, 3:14 pm #38
(02 Sep 2017, 9:06 am)S813 FVK 5209 at Chester-le-Street and is on the 13/X25 today

Yes that vehicle was transferred to Chester-le-Street this morning from Deptford.
BFK
02 Sep 2017, 3:14 pm #38

(02 Sep 2017, 9:06 am)S813 FVK 5209 at Chester-le-Street and is on the 13/X25 today

Yes that vehicle was transferred to Chester-le-Street this morning from Deptford.

BusLoverMum

02 Sep 2017, 3:19 pm #39
(02 Sep 2017, 9:05 am)Dan The rear is different to anything what we've seen in recent designs. There'll be five different designs - one showing a businessman, another showing a woman shopping, another showing a student, etc... 'Synergy' comes to mind - linking the brand to the service itself - the woman could have been shopping at Dalton Park, the student going to the college/uni served by the X10...

Actually, after 6 weeks of entertaining 2 young lads through the medium of public transport, I can assure you that many bus users do indeed smell!
BusLoverMum
02 Sep 2017, 3:19 pm #39

(02 Sep 2017, 9:05 am)Dan The rear is different to anything what we've seen in recent designs. There'll be five different designs - one showing a businessman, another showing a woman shopping, another showing a student, etc... 'Synergy' comes to mind - linking the brand to the service itself - the woman could have been shopping at Dalton Park, the student going to the college/uni served by the X10...

Actually, after 6 weeks of entertaining 2 young lads through the medium of public transport, I can assure you that many bus users do indeed smell!

Adrian

02 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm #40
(02 Sep 2017, 9:13 am)Dan Not an after thought at all. Sell, sell, and sell again. Some brands have meaning - this one less so. It's a hard sell, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a lot of repetition of the features available on the X9/X10 services (free Wi-Fi, contactless payments, etc) and it's all done in the interests of getting more people on the bus on a heavily competitive route with rail services.

I think the brand looks decent on the bus, and a lot better than it did on paper. 

I do think the back lets it down, although I appreciate what the company are trying to achieve with it. It just looks a bit too cluttered for me. I'd have preferred to see the 'features' box better placed further down the vehicle in place of the 'bus user' image. At least on 6308, this image tells me nothing about the service, other than I might have to stand for my journey. It also takes away from what is an incredibly smart colour imo.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm #40

(02 Sep 2017, 9:13 am)Dan Not an after thought at all. Sell, sell, and sell again. Some brands have meaning - this one less so. It's a hard sell, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a lot of repetition of the features available on the X9/X10 services (free Wi-Fi, contactless payments, etc) and it's all done in the interests of getting more people on the bus on a heavily competitive route with rail services.

I think the brand looks decent on the bus, and a lot better than it did on paper. 

I do think the back lets it down, although I appreciate what the company are trying to achieve with it. It just looks a bit too cluttered for me. I'd have preferred to see the 'features' box better placed further down the vehicle in place of the 'bus user' image. At least on 6308, this image tells me nothing about the service, other than I might have to stand for my journey. It also takes away from what is an incredibly smart colour imo.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Pages (21): Previous 1 2 321 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average