Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (24): Previous 1 2 324 Next
S813 FVK

02 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm #21
Shame there still isn't enough room for the feature symbols, but I am glad that they have sorted that 'l' out at the end of 'angel'. I've always hated the foot (or whatever its called) sticking out.
S813 FVK
02 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm #21

Shame there still isn't enough room for the feature symbols, but I am glad that they have sorted that 'l' out at the end of 'angel'. I've always hated the foot (or whatever its called) sticking out.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm #22
(02 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm)S813 FVK Shame there still isn't enough room for the feature symbols, but I am glad that they have sorted that 'l' out at the end of 'angel'. I've always hated the foot (or whatever its called) sticking out.

They may be included yet - 6319 is the first done, so very much the 'prototype'. Can't really get a feel for how something will look, until you see it in person.

If included, they'll be placed in the black section behind the driver and in front of the staircase (as if it was a Streetlite).
Dan
02 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm #22

(02 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm)S813 FVK Shame there still isn't enough room for the feature symbols, but I am glad that they have sorted that 'l' out at the end of 'angel'. I've always hated the foot (or whatever its called) sticking out.

They may be included yet - 6319 is the first done, so very much the 'prototype'. Can't really get a feel for how something will look, until you see it in person.

If included, they'll be placed in the black section behind the driver and in front of the staircase (as if it was a Streetlite).

Malarkey

02 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm #23

Should move the Go North East - Journey's Taken Care Of Tagline and place it under the drivers cab window where we usually see the corporate logo, then place the feature symbols where the tagline is now.

Alternatively where you have the Wi-Fi Symbols on the front of the vehicle, place them all above one another on either side or place them all above the front destination display, otherwise put them all on front lower deck window above where you have the angel logo.
Malarkey
02 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm #23

Should move the Go North East - Journey's Taken Care Of Tagline and place it under the drivers cab window where we usually see the corporate logo, then place the feature symbols where the tagline is now.

Alternatively where you have the Wi-Fi Symbols on the front of the vehicle, place them all above one another on either side or place them all above the front destination display, otherwise put them all on front lower deck window above where you have the angel logo.

Pulsar

02 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm #24
More Problems in the Houghton Area

From Go North East Facebook
Quote:Due to acts of vandalism by groups of youths and for safety issues we are not serving Houghton Church and Newbottle Street diverting via Hillside Way until further notice, many apologies

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
02 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm #24

More Problems in the Houghton Area

From Go North East Facebook

Quote:Due to acts of vandalism by groups of youths and for safety issues we are not serving Houghton Church and Newbottle Street diverting via Hillside Way until further notice, many apologies

LeeCalder

02 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm #25
The Angel brand really suites the StreetDeck, looks brilliant, shame its ruined by that ridiculous picture of people standing up at the back of the bus.
LeeCalder
02 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm #25

The Angel brand really suites the StreetDeck, looks brilliant, shame its ruined by that ridiculous picture of people standing up at the back of the bus.

Michael

02 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm #26
(02 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm)LeeCalder The Angel brand really suites the StreetDeck, looks brilliant, shame its ruined by that ridiculous picture of people standing up at the back of the bus.

Aye i have to agree.
Edited 02 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm #26

(02 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm)LeeCalder The Angel brand really suites the StreetDeck, looks brilliant, shame its ruined by that ridiculous picture of people standing up at the back of the bus.

Aye i have to agree.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Multi21

02 Dec 2017, 11:21 pm #27
(02 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm)JP6004 Looks very smart. Even its back end looks good

The back annoys me! What a waste of space same on the TTX B5s. I can't understand what GNEs logic behind it is.

Whats the idea behind the new style destinations? They are stupid. Newcastle Haymarket? Blackett Street? Market Street? Central Station? Silly Silly Idea! When the X25 gets done the same way two buses will be pulling into CLS with just Newcastle on the front despite the fact they go two different ways.
Multi21
02 Dec 2017, 11:21 pm #27

(02 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm)JP6004 Looks very smart. Even its back end looks good

The back annoys me! What a waste of space same on the TTX B5s. I can't understand what GNEs logic behind it is.

Whats the idea behind the new style destinations? They are stupid. Newcastle Haymarket? Blackett Street? Market Street? Central Station? Silly Silly Idea! When the X25 gets done the same way two buses will be pulling into CLS with just Newcastle on the front despite the fact they go two different ways.

Pulsar

03 Dec 2017, 12:07 am #28
Im not a fan of the new destination displays. The X25 and 21 is a good example as if they both just showed "Newcastle" people may think the X25 is quicker as it has the X which generally means express but then they will end up in Wrekenton first! I also do not accept that the via points were hard to read previously, even if they were at least you had a chance of reading them whereas now you cant even attempt to.

As for the rear branding, I can see where they are going with it but will the average car user / pedestrian understand the meaning behind it? I don't think so, instead they will just see a full bus with standees.

Pulsar
03 Dec 2017, 12:07 am #28

Im not a fan of the new destination displays. The X25 and 21 is a good example as if they both just showed "Newcastle" people may think the X25 is quicker as it has the X which generally means express but then they will end up in Wrekenton first! I also do not accept that the via points were hard to read previously, even if they were at least you had a chance of reading them whereas now you cant even attempt to.

As for the rear branding, I can see where they are going with it but will the average car user / pedestrian understand the meaning behind it? I don't think so, instead they will just see a full bus with standees.

LeeCalder

03 Dec 2017, 8:00 am #29
To be honest, it seems as though Go North East are doing everything against what all these Bus Users surveys are saying, with regards to people not using the bus due to a lack of information etc...... let's get rid of paper timetables, and enrol generic destination displays.

I would say that generic destinations will only work if you have prominent route brands, e.g. Coastliner at Transdev and Red Arrow at trentbarton, who tend to use the route brand as a route number regardless. I couldn't see that working up here through a combination of pick 'n' mix allocations, and ever changing route brands.
Edited 03 Dec 2017, 8:00 am by LeeCalder.
LeeCalder
03 Dec 2017, 8:00 am #29

To be honest, it seems as though Go North East are doing everything against what all these Bus Users surveys are saying, with regards to people not using the bus due to a lack of information etc...... let's get rid of paper timetables, and enrol generic destination displays.

I would say that generic destinations will only work if you have prominent route brands, e.g. Coastliner at Transdev and Red Arrow at trentbarton, who tend to use the route brand as a route number regardless. I couldn't see that working up here through a combination of pick 'n' mix allocations, and ever changing route brands.

S813 FVK

03 Dec 2017, 8:30 am #30
Aren’t these new destination displays just a trial though?

It isn’t a case that the current via points are difficult to read either. More that it takes so long for them to scroll along a passenger is unlikely to see them all as the bus approaches (unless at a bus station).
Edited 03 Dec 2017, 8:33 am by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
03 Dec 2017, 8:30 am #30

Aren’t these new destination displays just a trial though?

It isn’t a case that the current via points are difficult to read either. More that it takes so long for them to scroll along a passenger is unlikely to see them all as the bus approaches (unless at a bus station).

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Dec 2017, 8:34 am #31
(03 Dec 2017, 8:30 am)S813 FVK Aren’t these new destination displays just a trial though?

To gather feedback (both from staff and customers)...

Not sure why Go North East, or any other operator, would go against something which has been proven in surveys to be popular with passengers?

Is there a source for the comment about passenger numbers falling due to a lack of information - with specific references to paper timetables and via points on destination displays? I'd be interested to read more into that.

According to Transport Focus (sources linked below), Go North East scored an 88% passenger satisfaction rating with regards to exterior route/destination information in 2016 (having been 87% the previous year). The marginal increase could relate to the continued investment into white LED displays and the decrease in the number of flipdot displays. Lothian Buses by comparison have a 90% satisfaction rate in this category - notably, they've been moving away from via points too. May be a coincidence, of course?
http://data.transportfocus.org.uk/bus/op...xus?wave=6&passenger_type=&sort_by=-satisfaction
http://data.transportfocus.org.uk/bus/op...an-buses-2
Dan
03 Dec 2017, 8:34 am #31

(03 Dec 2017, 8:30 am)S813 FVK Aren’t these new destination displays just a trial though?

To gather feedback (both from staff and customers)...

Not sure why Go North East, or any other operator, would go against something which has been proven in surveys to be popular with passengers?

Is there a source for the comment about passenger numbers falling due to a lack of information - with specific references to paper timetables and via points on destination displays? I'd be interested to read more into that.

According to Transport Focus (sources linked below), Go North East scored an 88% passenger satisfaction rating with regards to exterior route/destination information in 2016 (having been 87% the previous year). The marginal increase could relate to the continued investment into white LED displays and the decrease in the number of flipdot displays. Lothian Buses by comparison have a 90% satisfaction rate in this category - notably, they've been moving away from via points too. May be a coincidence, of course?
http://data.transportfocus.org.uk/bus/op...xus?wave=6&passenger_type=&sort_by=-satisfaction

S813 FVK

03 Dec 2017, 9:01 am #32
(03 Dec 2017, 8:34 am)Dan To gather feedback (both from staff and customers)...

Indeed, but we are in the enthusiast world where it is very easy to make statements which have absolutely no evidence to support them at all.

The NEXUS bus stops at least (don’t think the County Durham ones do) specify which area of Newcastle the bus terminates at: https://liners.nexus.org.uk/22052.pdf. If this is the case, is there any need for Eldon Square or wherever to appear on the destination itself?
S813 FVK
03 Dec 2017, 9:01 am #32

(03 Dec 2017, 8:34 am)Dan To gather feedback (both from staff and customers)...

Indeed, but we are in the enthusiast world where it is very easy to make statements which have absolutely no evidence to support them at all.

The NEXUS bus stops at least (don’t think the County Durham ones do) specify which area of Newcastle the bus terminates at: https://liners.nexus.org.uk/22052.pdf. If this is the case, is there any need for Eldon Square or wherever to appear on the destination itself?

Michael

03 Dec 2017, 9:04 am #33
With 5201 temporarily on the 67/69... where has the Versa gone?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Dec 2017, 9:04 am #33

With 5201 temporarily on the 67/69... where has the Versa gone?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Dec 2017, 9:05 am #34
(03 Dec 2017, 9:01 am)S813 FVK Indeed, but we are in the enthusiast world where it is very easy to make statements which have absolutely no evidence to support them at all.

As do the timetables which are available online, Google Maps, bus operator mobile apps, etc. There's a lot of information available for those who need it - but I'm not convinced many people do go for a bus without having researched their journey first.

Looking specifically at the 21; the biggest improvement here is that it'll be clearer to passengers waiting for the bus which buses only go as far as Chester-le-Street, and which buses will go the full journey to Durham, as it's easier to see from a distance now.

And yes - Nexus manage and update the liners in all parts of Tyne & Wear and Northumberland, but not County Durham or Tees Valley at this stage.
Dan
03 Dec 2017, 9:05 am #34

(03 Dec 2017, 9:01 am)S813 FVK Indeed, but we are in the enthusiast world where it is very easy to make statements which have absolutely no evidence to support them at all.

As do the timetables which are available online, Google Maps, bus operator mobile apps, etc. There's a lot of information available for those who need it - but I'm not convinced many people do go for a bus without having researched their journey first.

Looking specifically at the 21; the biggest improvement here is that it'll be clearer to passengers waiting for the bus which buses only go as far as Chester-le-Street, and which buses will go the full journey to Durham, as it's easier to see from a distance now.

And yes - Nexus manage and update the liners in all parts of Tyne & Wear and Northumberland, but not County Durham or Tees Valley at this stage.

S813 FVK

03 Dec 2017, 9:30 am #35
(03 Dec 2017, 9:05 am)Dan As do the timetables which are available online, Google Maps, bus operator mobile apps, etc. There's a lot of information available for those who need it - but I'm not convinced many people do go for a bus without having researched their journey first.

I agree entirely. I know on the odd occasion that I do need to use the bus, I always check the times although this is mainly down to not needing to know the times of the buses due to not needing them that often. I suspect that this is the case with most people as opposed to having the 'turn up and go' attitude as if there was a bus around every 7 minutes as on the 21.  

I prefer the Nexus liners over the County Council ones which are rather unclear. The stops the ED1 uses, for example, make no reference of the fact that it goes to EDC Houghall Campus and is just shown as 'Durham'. Most people just let it go by and get the 16 that follows it a few minutes later (or indeed the one a few minutes before), probably due to the bus showing Houghall Campus on the front of the bus. However, I still think that the council could be clearer as to which buses go where on the bus stops.
S813 FVK
03 Dec 2017, 9:30 am #35

(03 Dec 2017, 9:05 am)Dan As do the timetables which are available online, Google Maps, bus operator mobile apps, etc. There's a lot of information available for those who need it - but I'm not convinced many people do go for a bus without having researched their journey first.

I agree entirely. I know on the odd occasion that I do need to use the bus, I always check the times although this is mainly down to not needing to know the times of the buses due to not needing them that often. I suspect that this is the case with most people as opposed to having the 'turn up and go' attitude as if there was a bus around every 7 minutes as on the 21.  

I prefer the Nexus liners over the County Council ones which are rather unclear. The stops the ED1 uses, for example, make no reference of the fact that it goes to EDC Houghall Campus and is just shown as 'Durham'. Most people just let it go by and get the 16 that follows it a few minutes later (or indeed the one a few minutes before), probably due to the bus showing Houghall Campus on the front of the bus. However, I still think that the council could be clearer as to which buses go where on the bus stops.

L469 YVK

03 Dec 2017, 9:32 am #36
(02 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm)Dan 6319 was branded yesterday, and is expected to transfer to Chester-le-Street from Monday for driver familiarisation.

[Image: 38073076224_4ab1969864.jpg]Go North East: 6319 / NK67GMX by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

With regards to driver familiarisation, would it not have been easier to loan one of the StreetDecks from Crook to CLS with it being used until the majority of drivers have become familiar with the vehicle type?

Also, as long as any of the branded StreetDecks aren't of the road, will the peak time X21's between Durham and Newcastle (which are currently car workings) be operated by the corporate branded spares?
Edited 03 Dec 2017, 9:33 am by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
03 Dec 2017, 9:32 am #36

(02 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm)Dan 6319 was branded yesterday, and is expected to transfer to Chester-le-Street from Monday for driver familiarisation.

[Image: 38073076224_4ab1969864.jpg]Go North East: 6319 / NK67GMX by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

With regards to driver familiarisation, would it not have been easier to loan one of the StreetDecks from Crook to CLS with it being used until the majority of drivers have become familiar with the vehicle type?

Also, as long as any of the branded StreetDecks aren't of the road, will the peak time X21's between Durham and Newcastle (which are currently car workings) be operated by the corporate branded spares?

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Dec 2017, 9:36 am #37
(03 Dec 2017, 9:32 am)L469 YVK With regards to driver familiarisation, would it not have been easier to loan one of the StreetDecks from Crook to CLS with it being used until the majority of drivers have become familiar with the vehicle type?

These StreetDecks have the Micro-Hybrid 3 system and stop/start technology - so best to use one of the ones they're actually going to drive, than one of the older Castles Express buses.

Still likely at a PVR of 17 that at least one spare will be allocated to the 21 every day. The other is likely to be used on any double-deck service at Chester-le-Street.
Dan
03 Dec 2017, 9:36 am #37

(03 Dec 2017, 9:32 am)L469 YVK With regards to driver familiarisation, would it not have been easier to loan one of the StreetDecks from Crook to CLS with it being used until the majority of drivers have become familiar with the vehicle type?

These StreetDecks have the Micro-Hybrid 3 system and stop/start technology - so best to use one of the ones they're actually going to drive, than one of the older Castles Express buses.

Still likely at a PVR of 17 that at least one spare will be allocated to the 21 every day. The other is likely to be used on any double-deck service at Chester-le-Street.

L469 YVK

03 Dec 2017, 9:50 am #38
(03 Dec 2017, 9:36 am)Dan These StreetDecks have the Micro-Hybrid 3 system and stop/start technology - so best to use one of the ones they're actually going to drive, than one of the older Castles Express buses.

That clears that one up, didn't read the description in the photo!

With Crook being an outstation to Chester Le Street, would some of Crook's drivers (or lead drivers) also receive familiarisaion on the newer StreetDeck in case they ever get one on loan?

Finally, are the Volvo B5LH's that Percy Main are getting eligible for the enhanced BSOG payments and if so, would it be likely (given that they only miss USB / Plug socks) that these would be allocated to the Boxing Day 309/310 if enough drivers were given the correct familiarisation on them?
Edited 03 Dec 2017, 9:58 am by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
03 Dec 2017, 9:50 am #38

(03 Dec 2017, 9:36 am)Dan These StreetDecks have the Micro-Hybrid 3 system and stop/start technology - so best to use one of the ones they're actually going to drive, than one of the older Castles Express buses.

That clears that one up, didn't read the description in the photo!

With Crook being an outstation to Chester Le Street, would some of Crook's drivers (or lead drivers) also receive familiarisaion on the newer StreetDeck in case they ever get one on loan?

Finally, are the Volvo B5LH's that Percy Main are getting eligible for the enhanced BSOG payments and if so, would it be likely (given that they only miss USB / Plug socks) that these would be allocated to the Boxing Day 309/310 if enough drivers were given the correct familiarisation on them?

S830OFT

03 Dec 2017, 10:39 am #39
Silly question but what routes would you usually find the Riverside spare solars (4932, 33, 45)?

S830OFT
03 Dec 2017, 10:39 am #39

Silly question but what routes would you usually find the Riverside spare solars (4932, 33, 45)?

Andreos1

03 Dec 2017, 11:19 am #40
(03 Dec 2017, 8:00 am)LeeCalder To be honest, it seems as though Go North East are doing everything against what all these Bus Users surveys are saying, with regards to people not using the bus due to a lack of information etc...... let's get rid of paper timetables, and enrol generic destination displays.

I have no idea about the Bus Users surveys - havent seen them at all, but do agree that passengers need information.

I suppose there's a fine balance between having too much and too little and as it stands, we are going down the route of having too little a choice of information sources.

I have pointed out before that not everyone can read a timetable. It goes with out saying that not everyone has access to the internet. Not everyone has the ability or confidence to speak to drivers either.

In an area where service numbers are stable, routes are consistent, branding is established, clear and obvious, the topography lends itself and partnerships between operators/PTE's/LA's are positive - then maybe the single line destinations are suitable.
I think it goes without saying, that neither of those things apply 100% to GNE.

There's obviously a reason they keep coming back to it and have done for however many years.
There's obviously a reason they have reverted back to using via points...

I have mentioned before that the black/white blinds are far from ideal for those who suffer from dyslexia (in addition to sharing links from organisations who have a lot more knowledge than myself of how colours affect reading).
I have no occupational experience with people who suffer from colour blindness, but it would but interesting to see what they think of the two tone blinds.

We need to make public transport accessible to all. Taking information away from passengers isn't helping with that.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Dec 2017, 11:19 am #40

(03 Dec 2017, 8:00 am)LeeCalder To be honest, it seems as though Go North East are doing everything against what all these Bus Users surveys are saying, with regards to people not using the bus due to a lack of information etc...... let's get rid of paper timetables, and enrol generic destination displays.

I have no idea about the Bus Users surveys - havent seen them at all, but do agree that passengers need information.

I suppose there's a fine balance between having too much and too little and as it stands, we are going down the route of having too little a choice of information sources.

I have pointed out before that not everyone can read a timetable. It goes with out saying that not everyone has access to the internet. Not everyone has the ability or confidence to speak to drivers either.

In an area where service numbers are stable, routes are consistent, branding is established, clear and obvious, the topography lends itself and partnerships between operators/PTE's/LA's are positive - then maybe the single line destinations are suitable.
I think it goes without saying, that neither of those things apply 100% to GNE.

There's obviously a reason they keep coming back to it and have done for however many years.
There's obviously a reason they have reverted back to using via points...

I have mentioned before that the black/white blinds are far from ideal for those who suffer from dyslexia (in addition to sharing links from organisations who have a lot more knowledge than myself of how colours affect reading).
I have no occupational experience with people who suffer from colour blindness, but it would but interesting to see what they think of the two tone blinds.

We need to make public transport accessible to all. Taking information away from passengers isn't helping with that.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (24): Previous 1 2 324 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average