Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (13) Previous 1 2 3 413 Next
Acky81

04 Feb 2018, 12:10 am #41
Noticed doxford international has been dropped on the 39 in favour of Doxford Park
Acky81
04 Feb 2018, 12:10 am #41

Noticed doxford international has been dropped on the 39 in favour of Doxford Park

04 Feb 2018, 2:16 am #42
So are 5265 - 5272 going to be the Blue Arrow Omnicities?

Looks great though.

As for the destination thing, the debate is really getting on my nerves. I see nothing wrong with the new style blinds, and I think it's a bit nit picky because the letters all finish on the same line.

Honestly in the past we have gone years with buses having a simple final destination on the bus. How many people got confused on what bus went to Jarrow when the 310 / 319 displayed either North Shields, Whitley Bay or Blyth in case of the 310 or Wallsend, Killingworth or Cramlington with the 319.

Example 1 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...3804786464
Example 2 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...3804794444

Also there's the case years ago, you are standing at Wallsend Metro and want to go to Throckley. There's a choice of 3 routes (21 / 22 / 49) and usually all routes just showed Throckley as a destination with no indication that the 49 served just about every estate in North Newcastle.

Example 3 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1940151006

People will always ask the driver regardless what it says on the front so they are reassured on where the vehicle is going, as the blind display could be completely incorrect and the driver hasn't realised it, especially if a vehicle has powerblinds and it has gotten stuck or doing the usual drop down a set of numbers / destintions when the engine goes off. (I miss the powerblinds, used to love watching them change). And with the modern LED blinds, it's not unknown for displays to either become scrambled or the light dims so much you cannot make out what it says.
Edited 04 Feb 2018, 2:31 am by Rapidsnap.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
04 Feb 2018, 2:16 am #42

So are 5265 - 5272 going to be the Blue Arrow Omnicities?

Looks great though.

As for the destination thing, the debate is really getting on my nerves. I see nothing wrong with the new style blinds, and I think it's a bit nit picky because the letters all finish on the same line.

Honestly in the past we have gone years with buses having a simple final destination on the bus. How many people got confused on what bus went to Jarrow when the 310 / 319 displayed either North Shields, Whitley Bay or Blyth in case of the 310 or Wallsend, Killingworth or Cramlington with the 319.

Also there's the case years ago, you are standing at Wallsend Metro and want to go to Throckley. There's a choice of 3 routes (21 / 22 / 49) and usually all routes just showed Throckley as a destination with no indication that the 49 served just about every estate in North Newcastle.

People will always ask the driver regardless what it says on the front so they are reassured on where the vehicle is going, as the blind display could be completely incorrect and the driver hasn't realised it, especially if a vehicle has powerblinds and it has gotten stuck or doing the usual drop down a set of numbers / destintions when the engine goes off. (I miss the powerblinds, used to love watching them change). And with the modern LED blinds, it's not unknown for displays to either become scrambled or the light dims so much you cannot make out what it says.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

S830OFT

04 Feb 2018, 10:38 am #43
How long does 9085 have left with Go North East?

S830OFT
04 Feb 2018, 10:38 am #43

How long does 9085 have left with Go North East?

Andreos1

04 Feb 2018, 10:45 am #44
(02 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm)Greg in Weardale The new larger destinations, which I like and approve  of, are spoilt by the use of "squashed" letters g, p, q and y (as in this "Houghton") which is unnecessary and will nullify the improvements for the visually impaired - and it just looks awful. I have however seen "Washington" and "Bishop Auckland" displayed sensibly.

There is (or was on Friday) at least one of the Washington Mercs still displaying the old style blinds.

(04 Feb 2018, 2:16 am)Rapidsnap So are 5265 - 5272 going to be the Blue Arrow Omnicities?

Looks great though.

Buses had step entrances in the past. Time moved on and vehicles became more accessible.

Buses had a variety of blind types and displays in the past. Time moved on and they became easier to see and more reliable.

Now, we have single destination LED's, in a colour that doesn't suit everyone, on routes that have been merged, changed and adapted numerous times in relatively short periods of time (as opposed to the routes in your photos) and are operated by vehicles in a range of liveries; that sometimes has a linear route map on the side of the vehicle, sometimes has a linear route map on the rear of the vehicle, sometimes has examples of calling points on the side or could be the wrong vehicle type (sometimes allocated and sometimes operating via a quirk of fate).
I'm not sure how this makes routes more accessible like in the first two examples I used though...

I think the question needs to be asked about why single line destinations were removed in years gone by.
Using your example about the three buses from Wallsend to Throckley, I can probably guess one possible reason why it was changed.
Edited 04 Feb 2018, 10:48 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Feb 2018, 10:45 am #44

(02 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm)Greg in Weardale The new larger destinations, which I like and approve  of, are spoilt by the use of "squashed" letters g, p, q and y (as in this "Houghton") which is unnecessary and will nullify the improvements for the visually impaired - and it just looks awful. I have however seen "Washington" and "Bishop Auckland" displayed sensibly.

There is (or was on Friday) at least one of the Washington Mercs still displaying the old style blinds.

(04 Feb 2018, 2:16 am)Rapidsnap So are 5265 - 5272 going to be the Blue Arrow Omnicities?

Looks great though.

Buses had step entrances in the past. Time moved on and vehicles became more accessible.

Buses had a variety of blind types and displays in the past. Time moved on and they became easier to see and more reliable.

Now, we have single destination LED's, in a colour that doesn't suit everyone, on routes that have been merged, changed and adapted numerous times in relatively short periods of time (as opposed to the routes in your photos) and are operated by vehicles in a range of liveries; that sometimes has a linear route map on the side of the vehicle, sometimes has a linear route map on the rear of the vehicle, sometimes has examples of calling points on the side or could be the wrong vehicle type (sometimes allocated and sometimes operating via a quirk of fate).
I'm not sure how this makes routes more accessible like in the first two examples I used though...

I think the question needs to be asked about why single line destinations were removed in years gone by.
Using your example about the three buses from Wallsend to Throckley, I can probably guess one possible reason why it was changed.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Michael

04 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm #45
Any more transfers took place this weekend due to last weeks changes?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm #45

Any more transfers took place this weekend due to last weeks changes?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Feb 2018, 3:40 pm #46
(03 Feb 2018, 1:14 pm)MrBoyt I feel that this would be unwise until they can gauge the reliability of 9084 in service.

Also 9084 is out in service today, currently on a 67 which just departed the Metrocentre (according to the app...)

4899 was replaced at Riverside by 5216.

I would not expect 4899 to be withdrawn until 5216 returns to Riverside - it is currently on loan to Hexham (and has been since 25th January).
Dan
04 Feb 2018, 3:40 pm #46

(03 Feb 2018, 1:14 pm)MrBoyt I feel that this would be unwise until they can gauge the reliability of 9084 in service.

Also 9084 is out in service today, currently on a 67 which just departed the Metrocentre (according to the app...)

4899 was replaced at Riverside by 5216.

I would not expect 4899 to be withdrawn until 5216 returns to Riverside - it is currently on loan to Hexham (and has been since 25th January).

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm #47
(04 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm)Michael Any more transfers took place this weekend due to last weeks changes?

Washington have now received all four of their OmniCitys (5254 to cover PVR increase on 5/50, 5261-63 to be the spares for the 4 and 5/50). As such they have released a further Mercedes Citaro (5324 to Riverside).

5261 is VOR for PSV preparation and is not expected to return to service until 15th February. At this point, 5338 is expected to transfer to Deptford. Deptford are still retaining 3974 and 3975 on-loan at the moment, as they have still yet to receive 5338 from Washington as well as 5214/15 from Chester-le-Street.
Dan
04 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm #47

(04 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm)Michael Any more transfers took place this weekend due to last weeks changes?

Washington have now received all four of their OmniCitys (5254 to cover PVR increase on 5/50, 5261-63 to be the spares for the 4 and 5/50). As such they have released a further Mercedes Citaro (5324 to Riverside).

5261 is VOR for PSV preparation and is not expected to return to service until 15th February. At this point, 5338 is expected to transfer to Deptford. Deptford are still retaining 3974 and 3975 on-loan at the moment, as they have still yet to receive 5338 from Washington as well as 5214/15 from Chester-le-Street.

LVK 404L

04 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm #48
Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery spot on.

Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery
Edited 04 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm by LVK 404L.
LVK 404L
04 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm #48

Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery spot on.

Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery

Venturego

04 Feb 2018, 10:48 pm #49
Yes - Totally agree:
https://victoryguy.smugmug.com/North-Wes...r-Company/

Could have gone for a more corporate and original branding. Dark Blue rears are very dull and bland.

I also think if Toon Link remains Black base, it should have more colourful graphics to brighten up image, maybe like new Tyne Tees express?! but i would prefer to see 6/x30/x70 services branded Newcastle Diamond (linked to 16 Durham Diamond) or simply brand both as "Diamond" with Express Services re branded as "Swift Express" in theme similar to Red Kite as areas served are all similar being North West Durham - Newcastle Centre. Buses can interwork as now with not too dissimilar brands.

I would also suggest Stanley and Consett be taken into zonal fares for multi-modal fares which would allow GNE & Metro travel to Airport & Coast etc... for £7.00 all day travel as is the case in T&W Nexus zones 4 & 5 which include distances (such as West Rainton) which are further than either Stanley & Consett from the centre of Newcastle & beyond to Airport etc... - Maybe the new NECTA combined authority will address such issues
Venturego
04 Feb 2018, 10:48 pm #49

Yes - Totally agree:
https://victoryguy.smugmug.com/North-Wes...r-Company/

Could have gone for a more corporate and original branding. Dark Blue rears are very dull and bland.

I also think if Toon Link remains Black base, it should have more colourful graphics to brighten up image, maybe like new Tyne Tees express?! but i would prefer to see 6/x30/x70 services branded Newcastle Diamond (linked to 16 Durham Diamond) or simply brand both as "Diamond" with Express Services re branded as "Swift Express" in theme similar to Red Kite as areas served are all similar being North West Durham - Newcastle Centre. Buses can interwork as now with not too dissimilar brands.

I would also suggest Stanley and Consett be taken into zonal fares for multi-modal fares which would allow GNE & Metro travel to Airport & Coast etc... for £7.00 all day travel as is the case in T&W Nexus zones 4 & 5 which include distances (such as West Rainton) which are further than either Stanley & Consett from the centre of Newcastle & beyond to Airport etc... - Maybe the new NECTA combined authority will address such issues

05 Feb 2018, 11:53 am #50
(04 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm)ifm001 Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery spot on.

They could have perhaps incoprated some yellow instead of white to it and a bit more of a swoosh at the front. To me it looks very bland with little thought.
Coastliner700
05 Feb 2018, 11:53 am #50

(04 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm)ifm001 Since the new fleet livery of red and blue with the white stripe got introduced, I've racked my brains trying to find out which Ye Olde company it was similar too. I've finally cone across the North Western Bus Company photos and the side view is our current livery spot on.

They could have perhaps incoprated some yellow instead of white to it and a bit more of a swoosh at the front. To me it looks very bland with little thought.

05 Feb 2018, 11:58 am #51
If anyone is after the Wright Streetdeck demo or the Optare MetroDecker demo, they are both currently at Saltmeadows.

The Streetdeck looks to be getting replacement panels around the nearside rear wheel.

Rapidsnap
05 Feb 2018, 11:58 am #51

If anyone is after the Wright Streetdeck demo or the Optare MetroDecker demo, they are both currently at Saltmeadows.

The Streetdeck looks to be getting replacement panels around the nearside rear wheel.

V514DFT

05 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm #52
(05 Feb 2018, 11:53 am)Coastliner700 They could have perhaps incoprated some yellow instead of white to it and a bit more of a swoosh at the front. To me it looks very bland with little thought.

I agree,they probably could of taken the old livery and updated it a little bit,dont know why but i think the mercs would of suited it

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
05 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm #52

(05 Feb 2018, 11:53 am)Coastliner700 They could have perhaps incoprated some yellow instead of white to it and a bit more of a swoosh at the front. To me it looks very bland with little thought.

I agree,they probably could of taken the old livery and updated it a little bit,dont know why but i think the mercs would of suited it

Kind Regards
Tez

busmanT

05 Feb 2018, 11:17 pm #53

Looks great though.

5266-5273 = Blue Arrow
busmanT
05 Feb 2018, 11:17 pm #53

Looks great though.

5266-5273 = Blue Arrow

V514DFT

06 Feb 2018, 9:21 am #54
So are the ex blue arrow solars totally finished public service now,i know dan said a while back 2 had already been withdrawn

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
06 Feb 2018, 9:21 am #54

So are the ex blue arrow solars totally finished public service now,i know dan said a while back 2 had already been withdrawn

Kind Regards
Tez

06 Feb 2018, 11:25 am #55
I thought I was seeing things this morning 10.15 am H1 actually had a passenger .john Reid rd going to the hospital.
Northern4555
06 Feb 2018, 11:25 am #55

I thought I was seeing things this morning 10.15 am H1 actually had a passenger .john Reid rd going to the hospital.

nk55

06 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm #56
(06 Feb 2018, 9:21 am)V514DFT So are the ex blue arrow solars totally finished public service now,i know dan said a while back 2 had already been withdrawn

Was it not mentioned a couple going to replace coaches in the training fleet, might be wrong of course
nk55
06 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm #56

(06 Feb 2018, 9:21 am)V514DFT So are the ex blue arrow solars totally finished public service now,i know dan said a while back 2 had already been withdrawn

Was it not mentioned a couple going to replace coaches in the training fleet, might be wrong of course

V514DFT

06 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm #57
(06 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm)nk55 Was it not mentioned a couple going to replace coaches in the training fleet, might be wrong of course

Probably,i may of missed it

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
06 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm #57

(06 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm)nk55 Was it not mentioned a couple going to replace coaches in the training fleet, might be wrong of course

Probably,i may of missed it

Kind Regards
Tez

06 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm #58
(06 Feb 2018, 11:25 am)Northern4555 I thought I was seeing things this morning 10.15 am H1 actually had a passenger .john Reid rd going to the hospital.

Does the passenger not count as a "Rare and Odd Working"?  Wink
Ianthegoon
06 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm #58

(06 Feb 2018, 11:25 am)Northern4555 I thought I was seeing things this morning 10.15 am H1 actually had a passenger .john Reid rd going to the hospital.

Does the passenger not count as a "Rare and Odd Working"?  Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm #59

(04 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm)Dan Washington have now received all four of their OmniCitys (5254 to cover PVR increase on 5/50, 5261-63 to be the spares for the 4 and 5/50). As such they have released a further Mercedes Citaro (5324 to Riverside).

4945 and 5201 transferred to Chester-le-Street last night.
5214 and 5215 therefore cascaded from Chester-le-Street to Deptford this afternoon.

5215 is to be allocated to the scholars 5030 service this afternoon.
Dan
06 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm #59

(04 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm)Dan Washington have now received all four of their OmniCitys (5254 to cover PVR increase on 5/50, 5261-63 to be the spares for the 4 and 5/50). As such they have released a further Mercedes Citaro (5324 to Riverside).

4945 and 5201 transferred to Chester-le-Street last night.
5214 and 5215 therefore cascaded from Chester-le-Street to Deptford this afternoon.

5215 is to be allocated to the scholars 5030 service this afternoon.

cbma06

06 Feb 2018, 2:55 pm #60
(06 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm)Dan 4945 and 5201 transferred to Chester-le-Street last night.

5214 is to be allocated to the scholars 5030 service this afternoon.

Service 5030 has seen a various of buses lately, think it’s only a double decker or a solo that hasn’t been used yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
06 Feb 2018, 2:55 pm #60

(06 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm)Dan 4945 and 5201 transferred to Chester-le-Street last night.

5214 is to be allocated to the scholars 5030 service this afternoon.

Service 5030 has seen a various of buses lately, think it’s only a double decker or a solo that hasn’t been used yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages (13) Previous 1 2 3 413 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average