Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2018

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15) Previous 111 12 1315 Next
19 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm #221
(19 Apr 2018, 9:46 pm)mb134 With regard over-riding, is there ever any leeway? 

I.e staying on one to two stops into the next fare stage?

That was actually what my question was meant to be.

Anyone, maybe from GNE, know if there is any flexibility in this regard?

Edited 19 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
19 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm #221

Jamie M

Unregistered

19 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm #222
(19 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm)OrangeArrow49 That was actually what my question was meant to be.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/revenueprotection/

To protect our revenue we:

operate a Penalty Fare Scheme which means that anyone who does not have a valid ticket for their journey will be liable to pay our standard fare.

It wouldn't be a valid ticket if you crossed zones. Wouldn't want to chance it like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
19 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm #222

(19 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm)OrangeArrow49 That was actually what my question was meant to be.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/revenueprotection/

To protect our revenue we:

operate a Penalty Fare Scheme which means that anyone who does not have a valid ticket for their journey will be liable to pay our standard fare.

It wouldn't be a valid ticket if you crossed zones. Wouldn't want to chance it like.

mb134

20 Apr 2018, 1:04 am #223
(19 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm)Jamie M https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/revenueprotection/

There's always been the standard revenue protection of "if you don't have a valid ticket", my question was more aimed at accidental over-riding of one or two stops. 

Tourists, people not sure of the route, etc may ask for a destination that is the end of a fare stage, but stay on for an extra couple of stops to where they actually intended to travel to. (Under the assumption that what they asked for covered the stop they intended to alight at).
mb134
20 Apr 2018, 1:04 am #223

(19 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm)Jamie M https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/revenueprotection/

There's always been the standard revenue protection of "if you don't have a valid ticket", my question was more aimed at accidental over-riding of one or two stops. 

Tourists, people not sure of the route, etc may ask for a destination that is the end of a fare stage, but stay on for an extra couple of stops to where they actually intended to travel to. (Under the assumption that what they asked for covered the stop they intended to alight at).

Jamie M

Unregistered

20 Apr 2018, 9:27 am #224
(20 Apr 2018, 1:04 am)mb134 There's always been the standard revenue protection of "if you don't have a valid ticket", my question was more aimed at accidental over-riding of one or two stops. 

Don't think you'll get a solid answer to this one, but the 2 things I've seen occur are:
- Ordered to pay correct amount to where-ever
- Ordered to pay penalty charge

I would say either condition depends on your intentions, the RP officer and who the RP officer believes you are. If you can't pay directly on the spot for a ticket, you can fill out a form on the bus (all drivers should carry) that's known as an "Unpaid fare". This is a last resort and often only filled out if there's a sense of urgency or it's the last bus. Essentially a letter comes through the door a few days later demanding repayment for the fare. However, I've seen it done during the day in certain conditions.

A subjective question and a subjective response.

Jamie M
20 Apr 2018, 9:27 am #224

(20 Apr 2018, 1:04 am)mb134 There's always been the standard revenue protection of "if you don't have a valid ticket", my question was more aimed at accidental over-riding of one or two stops. 

Don't think you'll get a solid answer to this one, but the 2 things I've seen occur are:
- Ordered to pay correct amount to where-ever
- Ordered to pay penalty charge

I would say either condition depends on your intentions, the RP officer and who the RP officer believes you are. If you can't pay directly on the spot for a ticket, you can fill out a form on the bus (all drivers should carry) that's known as an "Unpaid fare". This is a last resort and often only filled out if there's a sense of urgency or it's the last bus. Essentially a letter comes through the door a few days later demanding repayment for the fare. However, I've seen it done during the day in certain conditions.

A subjective question and a subjective response.

Andreos1

20 Apr 2018, 10:38 am #225
(19 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm)Pulsar 6117's new livery

50 years of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

[img][Image: 41559248461_8e38f988d1_z.jpg]Go North East 6117 by Pulsar Photos, on Flickr[/img]

A strange one to promote.
The regiments it replaced were around a lot longer, with many old timers still insistent that tradition and character were important parts of the Army's regimental system and were lost during amalgamation.

I can see the livery provoking discussion and debate in certain circles.

Conscription or volunteering for your local (county based) regiment, wad almost seen as signing for your local football team, particularly if it was one with a proud history, reputation or legacy.

My Grandad was in the Northumberland Fusilliers during the second world war and saw action across North Africa, Italy and Greece.
Whilst he was fighting the axis and was representing GB forces, he was proud to wear a crest which was home.
Years later when I was a bairn, we saw some fusilliers (probably based out of Fenham Barracks like he had been in years previous). He told me that they were like his regiment. But weren't the same - despite me noticing a physical change in stature when we approached the 'replacement' regiment and his obvious kick-back to routines of old.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Apr 2018, 10:38 am #225

(19 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm)Pulsar 6117's new livery

50 years of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

[img][Image: 41559248461_8e38f988d1_z.jpg]Go North East 6117 by Pulsar Photos, on Flickr[/img]

A strange one to promote.
The regiments it replaced were around a lot longer, with many old timers still insistent that tradition and character were important parts of the Army's regimental system and were lost during amalgamation.

I can see the livery provoking discussion and debate in certain circles.

Conscription or volunteering for your local (county based) regiment, wad almost seen as signing for your local football team, particularly if it was one with a proud history, reputation or legacy.

My Grandad was in the Northumberland Fusilliers during the second world war and saw action across North Africa, Italy and Greece.
Whilst he was fighting the axis and was representing GB forces, he was proud to wear a crest which was home.
Years later when I was a bairn, we saw some fusilliers (probably based out of Fenham Barracks like he had been in years previous). He told me that they were like his regiment. But weren't the same - despite me noticing a physical change in stature when we approached the 'replacement' regiment and his obvious kick-back to routines of old.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

20 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm #226
6041 is parked in Arriva Ashington depot minus a few seats.
omnicity4659
20 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm #226

6041 is parked in Arriva Ashington depot minus a few seats.

20 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm #227
(20 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm)omnicity4659 6041 is parked in Arriva Ashington depot minus a few seats.

Why?
NewcastleOne
20 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm #227

(20 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm)omnicity4659 6041 is parked in Arriva Ashington depot minus a few seats.

Why?

20 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm #228
I believe 6041 has been sold / donated to a charity and it's being converted into a Non-PSV role.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
20 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm #228

I believe 6041 has been sold / donated to a charity and it's being converted into a Non-PSV role.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Malarkey

20 Apr 2018, 5:26 pm #229
(20 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm)Rapidsnap I believe 6041 has been sold / donated to a charity and it's being converted into a Non-PSV role.

Was supposedly for St Oswald's Hospice.
Malarkey
20 Apr 2018, 5:26 pm #229

(20 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm)Rapidsnap I believe 6041 has been sold / donated to a charity and it's being converted into a Non-PSV role.

Was supposedly for St Oswald's Hospice.

20 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm #230
(19 Apr 2018, 7:11 pm)Dan Was only ever off the road for a couple days.

Ah right, cheers. That was the first time I’ve seen it ever since the fire.
EL1TE
20 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm #230

(19 Apr 2018, 7:11 pm)Dan Was only ever off the road for a couple days.

Ah right, cheers. That was the first time I’ve seen it ever since the fire.

20 Apr 2018, 7:53 pm #231
(19 Apr 2018, 6:06 am)Michael All of them should be going, that was the plan when the Gemini's arrived from London.

That would be good. That will leave the Omnidekkas as the only bus I don't like. 

When are the Presidents due to go?
OrangeArrow49
20 Apr 2018, 7:53 pm #231

(19 Apr 2018, 6:06 am)Michael All of them should be going, that was the plan when the Gemini's arrived from London.

That would be good. That will leave the Omnidekkas as the only bus I don't like. 

When are the Presidents due to go?

20 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm #232
Just wondering if GNE would get Vanhool A330 Hydrogen bus for trial run. It could be good bus to replace other buses in the fleet. I think its time GNE invested more into all electric vehicles.
Panasonic44
20 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm #232

Just wondering if GNE would get Vanhool A330 Hydrogen bus for trial run. It could be good bus to replace other buses in the fleet. I think its time GNE invested more into all electric vehicles.

mb134

21 Apr 2018, 1:18 am #233
(20 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm)Panasonic44 Just wondering if GNE would get Vanhool A330 Hydrogen bus for trial run. It could be good bus to replace other buses in the fleet. I think its time GNE invested more into all electric vehicles.

I don't agree. First Aberdeen operate 4 of them, and it seems like they're off the road more than they're on. There was about a month this year where I only saw one of the four out in service, and sometimes even that didn't appear. 

Stagecoach use theirs on an 'express' route, which they apparently struggle with, on the higher speed sections. 

They could have improved the design and reliability over the past couple of years, but I think an extensive trial would be needed.

Nice enough when they're working, but woefully unreliable.
mb134
21 Apr 2018, 1:18 am #233

(20 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm)Panasonic44 Just wondering if GNE would get Vanhool A330 Hydrogen bus for trial run. It could be good bus to replace other buses in the fleet. I think its time GNE invested more into all electric vehicles.

I don't agree. First Aberdeen operate 4 of them, and it seems like they're off the road more than they're on. There was about a month this year where I only saw one of the four out in service, and sometimes even that didn't appear. 

Stagecoach use theirs on an 'express' route, which they apparently struggle with, on the higher speed sections. 

They could have improved the design and reliability over the past couple of years, but I think an extensive trial would be needed.

Nice enough when they're working, but woefully unreliable.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Apr 2018, 7:39 am #234

I think the trial of the electric Yutong vehicle suggests the company are definitely interested in investing in this technology - I'd expect a press release early next week when the vehicle is returned - but there's a significantly higher cost for this type of bus than a standard diesel, and I think it's a bit of a risk given that the long-term reliability just cannot be predicted.

I was a huge fan of Stagecoach North East's gas buses when they were first launched, but living in Sunderland, I see/hear/quite regularly ride on them, and a lot of them are much rougher now, than they were when brand new. One wouldn't expect them to stay 'as new' forever, but the sound some of them make isn't the best, so I'm a little skeptical.

I had a ride of the Yutong yesterday and felt, from a passenger's perspective, the interior was dark and dingy, and felt quite clinical. Aside from the lack of legroom and rattly emergency exit door, I have no real problems with the interior of a Streetlite by comparison. They feel quite light and airy - the LED strip in the centre of the ceiling seems to provide more than enough lighting for the saloon.

The Yutong should be heading to Stagecoach North East next week after its trial at Go North East. Believe, after initial murmurs that the bus would be used in Sunderland to compare against the gas buses, it will now be used on the 100?
Dan
21 Apr 2018, 7:39 am #234

I think the trial of the electric Yutong vehicle suggests the company are definitely interested in investing in this technology - I'd expect a press release early next week when the vehicle is returned - but there's a significantly higher cost for this type of bus than a standard diesel, and I think it's a bit of a risk given that the long-term reliability just cannot be predicted.

I was a huge fan of Stagecoach North East's gas buses when they were first launched, but living in Sunderland, I see/hear/quite regularly ride on them, and a lot of them are much rougher now, than they were when brand new. One wouldn't expect them to stay 'as new' forever, but the sound some of them make isn't the best, so I'm a little skeptical.

I had a ride of the Yutong yesterday and felt, from a passenger's perspective, the interior was dark and dingy, and felt quite clinical. Aside from the lack of legroom and rattly emergency exit door, I have no real problems with the interior of a Streetlite by comparison. They feel quite light and airy - the LED strip in the centre of the ceiling seems to provide more than enough lighting for the saloon.

The Yutong should be heading to Stagecoach North East next week after its trial at Go North East. Believe, after initial murmurs that the bus would be used in Sunderland to compare against the gas buses, it will now be used on the 100?

Michael

21 Apr 2018, 8:52 am #235
(21 Apr 2018, 7:39 am)Dan I think the trial of the electric Yutong vehicle suggests the company are definitely interested in investing in this technology - I'd expect a press release early next week when the vehicle is returned - but there's a significantly higher cost for this type of bus than a standard diesel, and I think it's a bit of a risk given that the long-term reliability just cannot be predicted.

But that's most buses after a few years.

Didn't know it was planned for it to stay in the NE, hopefully it does come to Sunderland after Newcastle, if that was the plan, wuld of thought it would of been used on a demanding route... the X66 and 100 isn't that demanding.

Would get proper data from the Sunderland routes, as most are between 40-50 minutes long

3 – 44 (to Farringdon), (41 to Gilley law)
4 – 45 minutes
8 – 27 minutes
10 – 40 minutes
11 – 31 minutes
12 – 50 minutes
13 – 49 minutes 
16 – 48 minutes
18 – 61 minutes
20 – 27 minutes
23 – 39 minutes
X24 – 43 minutes
Edited 21 Apr 2018, 9:07 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Apr 2018, 8:52 am #235

(21 Apr 2018, 7:39 am)Dan I think the trial of the electric Yutong vehicle suggests the company are definitely interested in investing in this technology - I'd expect a press release early next week when the vehicle is returned - but there's a significantly higher cost for this type of bus than a standard diesel, and I think it's a bit of a risk given that the long-term reliability just cannot be predicted.

But that's most buses after a few years.

Didn't know it was planned for it to stay in the NE, hopefully it does come to Sunderland after Newcastle, if that was the plan, wuld of thought it would of been used on a demanding route... the X66 and 100 isn't that demanding.

Would get proper data from the Sunderland routes, as most are between 40-50 minutes long

3 – 44 (to Farringdon), (41 to Gilley law)
4 – 45 minutes
8 – 27 minutes
10 – 40 minutes
11 – 31 minutes
12 – 50 minutes
13 – 49 minutes 
16 – 48 minutes
18 – 61 minutes
20 – 27 minutes
23 – 39 minutes
X24 – 43 minutes

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jamie M

Unregistered

21 Apr 2018, 8:59 am #236

Main problem with the streetlites is that they're uncomfortable, feel every bump. It's great they have all of these features and promoting eco-friendliness. The engine/gearbox is a lot smoother in the Euro 6 examples. The day a streetlite comes with seats/suspension with some give in them, we may well have a perfect bus!

Jamie M
21 Apr 2018, 8:59 am #236

Main problem with the streetlites is that they're uncomfortable, feel every bump. It's great they have all of these features and promoting eco-friendliness. The engine/gearbox is a lot smoother in the Euro 6 examples. The day a streetlite comes with seats/suspension with some give in them, we may well have a perfect bus!

L469 YVK

21 Apr 2018, 12:39 pm #237
(21 Apr 2018, 8:59 am)Jamie M Main problem with the streetlites is that they're uncomfortable, feel every bump. It's great they have all of these features and promoting eco-friendliness. The engine/gearbox is a lot smoother in the Euro 6 examples. The day a streetlite comes with seats/suspension with some give in them, we may well have a perfect bus!

I think the Streetlite is good what it was designed for (same for the StreetDeck) but they're a bit too 'one size fits all'.

I think Wrights should offer an 'Endura' and 'EnduraDeck' with ZF gearboxes and 6.7l cummins engines. Would suit operators and routes that need more power and durability.

(21 Apr 2018, 8:59 am)Jamie M Main problem with the streetlites is that they're uncomfortable, feel every bump. It's great they have all of these features and promoting eco-friendliness. The engine/gearbox is a lot smoother in the Euro 6 examples. The day a streetlite comes with seats/suspension with some give in them, we may well have a perfect bus!

I think the Streetlite is good what it was designed for (same for the StreetDeck) but they're a bit too 'one size fits all'.

I think Wrights should offer an 'Endura' and 'EnduraDeck' with ZF gearboxes and 6.7l cummins engines. Would suit operators and routes that need more power and durability.
Edited 21 Apr 2018, 12:39 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
21 Apr 2018, 12:39 pm #237

21 Apr 2018, 1:24 pm #238

I see, well I though it may have been better may have been better in long run but guess not but do hope in future GNE will get some more eletric even if its from Volvo to be more greener (we will wait and see). 

Also I do like Vanhool buses I was just wondering if they where going to be trialed (wayho).
Panasonic44
21 Apr 2018, 1:24 pm #238

I see, well I though it may have been better may have been better in long run but guess not but do hope in future GNE will get some more eletric even if its from Volvo to be more greener (we will wait and see). 

Also I do like Vanhool buses I was just wondering if they where going to be trialed (wayho).

cbma06

21 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm #239
Service X6/X7 needs more running time or an extra bus, sick of tired having to get off the bus in Peterlee bus station as the driver running late and not bothering to the circular service at Oakerside and the only bus service on Grampian drive, and this is not a one off aswell, I feel sorry for passengers waiting for this service at the bus stops in Peterlee who are getting a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
21 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm #239

Service X6/X7 needs more running time or an extra bus, sick of tired having to get off the bus in Peterlee bus station as the driver running late and not bothering to the circular service at Oakerside and the only bus service on Grampian drive, and this is not a one off aswell, I feel sorry for passengers waiting for this service at the bus stops in Peterlee who are getting a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L469 YVK

21 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm #240
Anyone doubting the decision to put deckers on the Coaster, just seen one going towards Gateshead before in Shields and looked busy.
L469 YVK
21 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm #240

Anyone doubting the decision to put deckers on the Coaster, just seen one going towards Gateshead before in Shields and looked busy.

Pages (15) Previous 111 12 1315 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average