Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (10) Previous 13 4 510 Next
G-CPTN

14 May 2018, 3:11 pm #61
Last Friday I travelled on two Arriva the Shires 17 reg Alexander Dennis Enviro 400MMC buses - which 'cut-out' immediately at every stop - restarting again to drive off of course - which seemed to be placing unnecessary additional stress on the starter motor - I wonder how long they will last?
G-CPTN
14 May 2018, 3:11 pm #61

Last Friday I travelled on two Arriva the Shires 17 reg Alexander Dennis Enviro 400MMC buses - which 'cut-out' immediately at every stop - restarting again to drive off of course - which seemed to be placing unnecessary additional stress on the starter motor - I wonder how long they will last?

GuyParkRoyal

14 May 2018, 3:22 pm #62
Go North East have been providing a shuttle service at Port of Tyne for the Norwegian Jade a cruise ship with a capacity of 2402 passengers and 1037 crew. The morning peak move of people after breakfast was covered by 5335, 4969, 5329, 4981, 5251 & 5274.
GuyParkRoyal
14 May 2018, 3:22 pm #62

Go North East have been providing a shuttle service at Port of Tyne for the Norwegian Jade a cruise ship with a capacity of 2402 passengers and 1037 crew. The morning peak move of people after breakfast was covered by 5335, 4969, 5329, 4981, 5251 & 5274.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2018, 3:53 pm #63
(14 May 2018, 3:22 pm)GuyParkRoyal Go North East have been providing a shuttle service at Port of Tyne for the Norwegian Jade a cruise ship with a capacity of 2402 passengers and 1037 crew. The morning peak move of people after breakfast was covered by 5335, 4969, 5329, 4981, 5251 & 5274.

The Port of Tyne cruise ship shuttles were also on on Saturday, albeit mainly covered by Percy Main buses. Been a busy few days!
Dan
14 May 2018, 3:53 pm #63

(14 May 2018, 3:22 pm)GuyParkRoyal Go North East have been providing a shuttle service at Port of Tyne for the Norwegian Jade a cruise ship with a capacity of 2402 passengers and 1037 crew. The morning peak move of people after breakfast was covered by 5335, 4969, 5329, 4981, 5251 & 5274.

The Port of Tyne cruise ship shuttles were also on on Saturday, albeit mainly covered by Percy Main buses. Been a busy few days!

S813 FVK

14 May 2018, 3:53 pm #64
(14 May 2018, 11:31 am)Dan Martijn Gilbert appointed as Go North East MD from August 2018

https://twitter.com/MartRDG/status/995987857385885697

Very good news, although I hope Reading manage to appoint somebody new just as good to replace him there.

I have no idea what Go-Ahead's social media policy is, but I would love to see a continuation of the current twitter activities. Some of the conversations carried out by himself (or other MDs on social media) are very engaging and demonstrates great customer relations, even if some people may feel the need to bypass customer services and go straight to him because their bus is running 30 seconds late.
Edited 14 May 2018, 3:55 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
14 May 2018, 3:53 pm #64

(14 May 2018, 11:31 am)Dan Martijn Gilbert appointed as Go North East MD from August 2018

https://twitter.com/MartRDG/status/995987857385885697

Very good news, although I hope Reading manage to appoint somebody new just as good to replace him there.

I have no idea what Go-Ahead's social media policy is, but I would love to see a continuation of the current twitter activities. Some of the conversations carried out by himself (or other MDs on social media) are very engaging and demonstrates great customer relations, even if some people may feel the need to bypass customer services and go straight to him because their bus is running 30 seconds late.

Andreos1

14 May 2018, 4:41 pm #65
(14 May 2018, 3:53 pm)S813 FVK Very good news, although I hope Reading manage to appoint somebody new just as good to replace him there.

I was thinking similarly regarding his use of social media and then started thinking of David Horne at VTEC and how his online approach and voice have become a target for those dissatisfied at those in his charge.
It will be interesting to see if there will be any changes to Martin Gijlbert's approach, not only with the public, but enthusiasts too.

On a different slant, I am curious to see whether or not we see any changes to the way GNE operate and of there are any similarities to the way things work with Reading. That could be branding, interiors or even vehicle choice.
A totally different market and network down there to what we have here.

Interesting times ahead.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 May 2018, 4:41 pm #65

(14 May 2018, 3:53 pm)S813 FVK Very good news, although I hope Reading manage to appoint somebody new just as good to replace him there.

I was thinking similarly regarding his use of social media and then started thinking of David Horne at VTEC and how his online approach and voice have become a target for those dissatisfied at those in his charge.
It will be interesting to see if there will be any changes to Martin Gijlbert's approach, not only with the public, but enthusiasts too.

On a different slant, I am curious to see whether or not we see any changes to the way GNE operate and of there are any similarities to the way things work with Reading. That could be branding, interiors or even vehicle choice.
A totally different market and network down there to what we have here.

Interesting times ahead.

Adrian

14 May 2018, 4:43 pm #66
(14 May 2018, 12:38 pm)Indigo701 I wonder what the new MD can do up here, reading buses is completely different to GNE, do you think the new MD will bring concepts like the flat fare areas and the more simplistic branding?

I suppose that all depends on how much of a blank canvas he is given to work with? Agree that Reading Buses are completely different to GNE, but as are the areas and communities that they serve. I would hope that the fare structure and quality would be two priorities that he would look at though.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 May 2018, 4:43 pm #66

(14 May 2018, 12:38 pm)Indigo701 I wonder what the new MD can do up here, reading buses is completely different to GNE, do you think the new MD will bring concepts like the flat fare areas and the more simplistic branding?

I suppose that all depends on how much of a blank canvas he is given to work with? Agree that Reading Buses are completely different to GNE, but as are the areas and communities that they serve. I would hope that the fare structure and quality would be two priorities that he would look at though.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Wybus

14 May 2018, 5:39 pm #67
I expect printed timetables will return, he’s been vocal on Twitter in the past saying that there is still a place for such things even in the digital age.

Of course it depends how much freedom Go Ahead PLC give him, as many good managers can get trodden down by corporate politics. You’d expect more freedom than say FirstGroup.

Expect lots of positive PR events. I remember he was in charge when Yorkshire Tiger was launched, which subsequently went wrong when he left and it became a revolving door of managers using it as a stepping stone.
Wybus
14 May 2018, 5:39 pm #67

I expect printed timetables will return, he’s been vocal on Twitter in the past saying that there is still a place for such things even in the digital age.

Of course it depends how much freedom Go Ahead PLC give him, as many good managers can get trodden down by corporate politics. You’d expect more freedom than say FirstGroup.

Expect lots of positive PR events. I remember he was in charge when Yorkshire Tiger was launched, which subsequently went wrong when he left and it became a revolving door of managers using it as a stepping stone.

S813 FVK

14 May 2018, 8:34 pm #68
(14 May 2018, 5:39 pm)Wybus I expect printed timetables will return, he’s been vocal on Twitter in the past saying that there is still a place for such things even in the digital age. 

The has been a Passenger Panel survey issued in the last week and the was a question on printed timetables.  There were questions about the website and app too. In fact I forgot to include a suggestion for the website at the end of it now I look back.

If printed timetables were to be reintroduced, I would like to see them redesigned. I have never been a fan of the massive open-out ones, even if they are cheaper for the company to have printed on a mass scale.
S813 FVK
14 May 2018, 8:34 pm #68

(14 May 2018, 5:39 pm)Wybus I expect printed timetables will return, he’s been vocal on Twitter in the past saying that there is still a place for such things even in the digital age. 

The has been a Passenger Panel survey issued in the last week and the was a question on printed timetables.  There were questions about the website and app too. In fact I forgot to include a suggestion for the website at the end of it now I look back.

If printed timetables were to be reintroduced, I would like to see them redesigned. I have never been a fan of the massive open-out ones, even if they are cheaper for the company to have printed on a mass scale.

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 May 2018, 8:44 pm #69
(14 May 2018, 8:34 pm)S813 FVK The has been a Passenger Panel survey issued in the last week and the was a question on printed timetables.  There were questions about the website and app too. In fact I forgot to include a suggestion for the website at the end of it now I look back.

Not just devils advocating, I genuinely like the spreadsheet style where I can consume all relevant info in one quick sweep. One fix was needed - to alternate row colour, but since that was fixed - I can't fault them. I don't like the Arriva styled ones which are like books. Takes forever to locate information and not practical for quick access.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
14 May 2018, 8:44 pm #69

(14 May 2018, 8:34 pm)S813 FVK The has been a Passenger Panel survey issued in the last week and the was a question on printed timetables.  There were questions about the website and app too. In fact I forgot to include a suggestion for the website at the end of it now I look back.

Not just devils advocating, I genuinely like the spreadsheet style where I can consume all relevant info in one quick sweep. One fix was needed - to alternate row colour, but since that was fixed - I can't fault them. I don't like the Arriva styled ones which are like books. Takes forever to locate information and not practical for quick access.

S813 FVK

14 May 2018, 8:55 pm #70
(14 May 2018, 8:44 pm)Jamie M Not just devils advocating, I genuinely like the spreadsheet style where I can consume all relevant info in one quick sweep. One fix was needed - to alternate row colour, but since that was fixed - I can't fault them. I don't like the Arriva styled ones which are like books. Takes forever to locate information and not practical for quick access.

Nothing wrong with that - each to their own I guess!

I prefer the booklet type, but I am not a massive fan of the Arriva timetables. I picked up a timetable for Sapphire services X3/X4 at some point last year just out of curiosity, and noticed that they had gone downhill by a long way compared to the last time I picked up a timetable for the same services (which, at the time, included the 5/5A too). Did not suggest 'premium' at all.
S813 FVK
14 May 2018, 8:55 pm #70

(14 May 2018, 8:44 pm)Jamie M Not just devils advocating, I genuinely like the spreadsheet style where I can consume all relevant info in one quick sweep. One fix was needed - to alternate row colour, but since that was fixed - I can't fault them. I don't like the Arriva styled ones which are like books. Takes forever to locate information and not practical for quick access.

Nothing wrong with that - each to their own I guess!

I prefer the booklet type, but I am not a massive fan of the Arriva timetables. I picked up a timetable for Sapphire services X3/X4 at some point last year just out of curiosity, and noticed that they had gone downhill by a long way compared to the last time I picked up a timetable for the same services (which, at the time, included the 5/5A too). Did not suggest 'premium' at all.

L469 YVK

14 May 2018, 9:15 pm #71
I hope that Buzzfare is axed when the new MD comes and changes to the following:

- Tyne & Wear
- Blyth, Cramlington & Wansbeck
- Tyne Valley
- Central & West Durham
- East Durham
- Teesside
L469 YVK
14 May 2018, 9:15 pm #71

I hope that Buzzfare is axed when the new MD comes and changes to the following:

- Tyne & Wear
- Tyne Valley
- Central & West Durham
- East Durham
- Teesside

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 May 2018, 9:35 pm #72
(14 May 2018, 9:15 pm)L469 YVK I hope that Buzzfare is axed when the new MD comes and changes to the following:

- Tyne & Wear
- Tyne Valley
- Central & West Durham
- East Durham
- Teesside
So basically everywhere?

I don't think there's need of drastic action in any case, just sanding off the rough edges. I'd like to see more interaction with the public and working to progress what's already here -- not tearing stuff apart.

Jamie M
14 May 2018, 9:35 pm #72

(14 May 2018, 9:15 pm)L469 YVK I hope that Buzzfare is axed when the new MD comes and changes to the following:

- Tyne & Wear
- Tyne Valley
- Central & West Durham
- East Durham
- Teesside
So basically everywhere?

I don't think there's need of drastic action in any case, just sanding off the rough edges. I'd like to see more interaction with the public and working to progress what's already here -- not tearing stuff apart.

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 May 2018, 11:35 pm #73
(14 May 2018, 8:55 pm)S813 FVK Nothing wrong with that - each to their own I guess!

Stagecoach are the worst offenders, look like flippin chip shop flyers!

Jamie M
14 May 2018, 11:35 pm #73

(14 May 2018, 8:55 pm)S813 FVK Nothing wrong with that - each to their own I guess!

Stagecoach are the worst offenders, look like flippin chip shop flyers!

Michael

15 May 2018, 5:32 pm #74
Looks like the Omnidekka's might be joining the fleet permanently as they've been giving the fleet numbers 6162-6179

The ex London deckers will only be retained if Go North East is awarded Miscellaneous Works Nexus contracts from September 2018.

Source: the news
Edited 15 May 2018, 5:39 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 May 2018, 5:32 pm #74

Looks like the Omnidekka's might be joining the fleet permanently as they've been giving the fleet numbers 6162-6179

The ex London deckers will only be retained if Go North East is awarded Miscellaneous Works Nexus contracts from September 2018.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jamie M

Unregistered

15 May 2018, 5:50 pm #75
(15 May 2018, 5:32 pm)Michael Looks like the Omnidekka's might be joining the fleet permanently as they've been giving the fleet numbers 6162-6179

Eeee man quoting untrustworthy news sources!

I think GNE scholars are renowned for doing well and being a professional standard. I would like to see GNE take over more of those, help the bairns have a reliable trip to school in a good environment. Some of the current operations by smaller operators are an embarrassment and I think it sets a poor example of what the young'ns see of a bus operator. Would like to see that put right.

Jamie M
15 May 2018, 5:50 pm #75

(15 May 2018, 5:32 pm)Michael Looks like the Omnidekka's might be joining the fleet permanently as they've been giving the fleet numbers 6162-6179

Eeee man quoting untrustworthy news sources!

I think GNE scholars are renowned for doing well and being a professional standard. I would like to see GNE take over more of those, help the bairns have a reliable trip to school in a good environment. Some of the current operations by smaller operators are an embarrassment and I think it sets a poor example of what the young'ns see of a bus operator. Would like to see that put right.

Michael

15 May 2018, 5:54 pm #76
(15 May 2018, 5:50 pm)Jamie M Eeee man quoting unreliable sources!

Tongue, least it wasn't from the daily mail! 

Ye same, although i rarely see school buses these days, as i start work before the schools start and leave after so can't comment on how good operates operate them.

I'm hoping some of the Ex London deckers replace the Vyking's in the special events fleet, and then have a few spares, as i would imagine, the Omnidekka's will replace the remaining Presidents, and maybe some of the older Omnidekka's.

Busy July for Go North East, as the tall ships are on from Wednesday 11th July to Saturday 14th July and then 2 weeks later the Sunderland airshow is on.
Edited 15 May 2018, 5:58 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 May 2018, 5:54 pm #76

(15 May 2018, 5:50 pm)Jamie M Eeee man quoting unreliable sources!

Tongue, least it wasn't from the daily mail! 

Ye same, although i rarely see school buses these days, as i start work before the schools start and leave after so can't comment on how good operates operate them.

I'm hoping some of the Ex London deckers replace the Vyking's in the special events fleet, and then have a few spares, as i would imagine, the Omnidekka's will replace the remaining Presidents, and maybe some of the older Omnidekka's.

Busy July for Go North East, as the tall ships are on from Wednesday 11th July to Saturday 14th July and then 2 weeks later the Sunderland airshow is on.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

15 May 2018, 6:55 pm #77
(14 May 2018, 3:11 pm)G-CPTN Last Friday I travelled on two Arriva the Shires 17 reg Alexander Dennis Enviro 400MMC buses - which 'cut-out' immediately at every stop - restarting again to drive off of course - which seemed to be placing unnecessary additional stress on the starter motor - I wonder how long they will last?

I meant to reply to this when you posted.
The original hybrids on the 21 (now on the 1) are like this.
From a passenger perspective, I didnt enjoy riding them at all.

The replacements seem slightly different. 
On my first ride, the engine didnt cut out at all.
On a subsequent one, the engine cut out on occassions.
Keeping an eagle eye and ear out since, I'm wondering if there is some sort of 'over-ride' function.
The ride is a lot more pleasant when it doesn't cut out.

Andreos1
15 May 2018, 6:55 pm #77

(14 May 2018, 3:11 pm)G-CPTN Last Friday I travelled on two Arriva the Shires 17 reg Alexander Dennis Enviro 400MMC buses - which 'cut-out' immediately at every stop - restarting again to drive off of course - which seemed to be placing unnecessary additional stress on the starter motor - I wonder how long they will last?

I meant to reply to this when you posted.

Keeping an eagle eye and ear out since, I'm wondering if there is some sort of 'over-ride' function.

Jimmi

15 May 2018, 7:06 pm #78
(15 May 2018, 6:55 pm)Andreos1 I meant to reply to this when you posted.

One way to 'over-ride' it, is to keep your foot on the pedal when you come to a stop.

I still don't see the real need for stop start, it just seems to make things even more inconvenient IMO, was on one of Darlington's StreetLite's the other week which has this technology, we got to the Pease Way Doctors Surgery stop on the 5/5A route and the bus cut out at the stop and the passenger who was alighting asked for the bus to be lowered, the driver ended up folding the ramp out instead for some reason but some comments were made about the technology.
Jimmi
15 May 2018, 7:06 pm #78

(15 May 2018, 6:55 pm)Andreos1 I meant to reply to this when you posted.

One way to 'over-ride' it, is to keep your foot on the pedal when you come to a stop.

I still don't see the real need for stop start, it just seems to make things even more inconvenient IMO, was on one of Darlington's StreetLite's the other week which has this technology, we got to the Pease Way Doctors Surgery stop on the 5/5A route and the bus cut out at the stop and the passenger who was alighting asked for the bus to be lowered, the driver ended up folding the ramp out instead for some reason but some comments were made about the technology.

BusLoverMum

15 May 2018, 10:32 pm #79
I did find the abrupt stops and starts on the old angels disconcerting but they are the original hybrids with a motor that propelled the vehicle when no hard açceleration was required. They could coast for a while before needing the extra power.

Manual Rampscare faster than lowering a bus, IME. You can lower a bus and it might still not meet the curb. Fine for me with a shuffle foot and heavy bags (forgot to wave to the wild jimmi, earlier, while I think on) but useless on wheels. The driver of the castles express I caught from Newcastle, this morning, had the ramp down for a wheelchair and back up again in a matter of seconds each each.

He also had lead feet, but at least he had better people skills than the driver of the half eightish bus into Newcastle.
BusLoverMum
15 May 2018, 10:32 pm #79

I did find the abrupt stops and starts on the old angels disconcerting but they are the original hybrids with a motor that propelled the vehicle when no hard açceleration was required. They could coast for a while before needing the extra power.

Manual Rampscare faster than lowering a bus, IME. You can lower a bus and it might still not meet the curb. Fine for me with a shuffle foot and heavy bags (forgot to wave to the wild jimmi, earlier, while I think on) but useless on wheels. The driver of the castles express I caught from Newcastle, this morning, had the ramp down for a wheelchair and back up again in a matter of seconds each each.

He also had lead feet, but at least he had better people skills than the driver of the half eightish bus into Newcastle.

park5354

16 May 2018, 3:01 pm #80
4964 is now Driver Training Blue.
park5354
16 May 2018, 3:01 pm #80

4964 is now Driver Training Blue.

Pages (10) Previous 13 4 510 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average