Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29) Previous 127 28 29
29 Dec 2023, 10:32 pm #561
What happened to Metro Watch? It was meant to stop all that behaviour

https://youtu.be/G2Orlo-aumU?si=a_b-_nmzdT0nKa_S
BIG MICK STOKOE
29 Dec 2023, 10:32 pm #561

What happened to Metro Watch? It was meant to stop all that behaviour

https://youtu.be/G2Orlo-aumU?si=a_b-_nmzdT0nKa_S

DeltaMan

30 Dec 2023, 8:22 am #562
(29 Dec 2023, 9:59 pm)Unber43 Went to the metro the other night, my friend drivers but hes at Uni (i still havent got around to getting a car but my commute is only 20 mins by bus so not bothered atm, but most of the time I get a lift) So I went to his and we decided to go to the Metro it was awful, absoutely awful, full of kids (yes not anything Buses can do about it) but what really was the turn off was the bus station, kids were running around throwing pop at each other (they should have been made to clean it up) shouting, screaming, fighting next to people walking, absoltuely no staff just some tape for the taped off areas (whcih did little to stop the vile youths).

And the bus back into the City Centre was awful, bell ringning none stop for no one to get off, kids screaming, no wonder peopel would rather use the car, even just a short hop, I think we will get an Uber next time.

Something needs to be done about this abhorant behaviour by vile youths if they want public transport to succeed, people have to feel safe using it, and if im being honest on an evening I do not.

This is an excerpt from a 2010 report for the Scottish parliament about why people don't uses buses. The first few points echo your thoughts. The final point is completely unsolvable without a major social change.
Edited 30 Dec 2023, 8:24 am by DeltaMan.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

DeltaMan
30 Dec 2023, 8:22 am #562

(29 Dec 2023, 9:59 pm)Unber43 Went to the metro the other night, my friend drivers but hes at Uni (i still havent got around to getting a car but my commute is only 20 mins by bus so not bothered atm, but most of the time I get a lift) So I went to his and we decided to go to the Metro it was awful, absoutely awful, full of kids (yes not anything Buses can do about it) but what really was the turn off was the bus station, kids were running around throwing pop at each other (they should have been made to clean it up) shouting, screaming, fighting next to people walking, absoltuely no staff just some tape for the taped off areas (whcih did little to stop the vile youths).

And the bus back into the City Centre was awful, bell ringning none stop for no one to get off, kids screaming, no wonder peopel would rather use the car, even just a short hop, I think we will get an Uber next time.

Something needs to be done about this abhorant behaviour by vile youths if they want public transport to succeed, people have to feel safe using it, and if im being honest on an evening I do not.

This is an excerpt from a 2010 report for the Scottish parliament about why people don't uses buses. The first few points echo your thoughts. The final point is completely unsolvable without a major social change.

Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

Andreos1

29 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm #563
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca...e-68093312

What price is there to keep communities alive?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm #563

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca...e-68093312

What price is there to keep communities alive?

Andreos1

03 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm #564
Well tickle me with a feather. 

'People tell survey that buses don't meet their needs' shocker. 
https://www.ippr.org/media-office/stop-t...-says-ippr

Andreos1
03 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm #564

Well tickle me with a feather. 

MurdnunoC

03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm #565
(03 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Well tickle me with a feather. 

A pretty small sample size for my liking, perhaps one better suited to those terrible twins, Tim and Tom Dodds.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
Edited 03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm #565

(03 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Well tickle me with a feather. 

A pretty small sample size for my liking, perhaps one better suited to those terrible twins, Tim and Tom Dodds.

Andreos1

03 Apr 2024, 2:46 pm #566
(03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm)MurdnunoC A pretty small sample size for my liking, perhaps one better suited to those terrible twins, Tim and Tom Dodds.

Tim and/or Tom Dodds love a small sample.
#alledgedly

Andreos1
03 Apr 2024, 2:46 pm #566

(03 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm)MurdnunoC A pretty small sample size for my liking, perhaps one better suited to those terrible twins, Tim and Tom Dodds.

Tim and/or Tom Dodds love a small sample.
#alledgedly

Ambassador

11 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm #567
Thought this may interest some on here. I attended an HR get together Cobalt .and here’s some summarised feedback (disclaimer I have no idea if this is shared with operators or not)

Majority of colleagues remain on hybrid with 1/2 days in office being the average norm. it was felt ticketing options didn’t really address this but acknowledged the new pricing was a positive in terms of day rovers. 

Issues with the. 19 running early or observing the wrong stop, GCT also not accepting the Cobalt free travel zone (which covers the park essentially). Some speeding around the bus gate area was reported 

Feedback that 22X is better served as a decker and colleagues prefer the morning run as the competing X39 has too many stops in comparison.

Feedback that the 22X terminus/waiting point at Market St isn’t convenient for other connections, could this be reviewed or the waiting time removed

Negative feedback on the admittedly limited use of single deckers on the X39 and general time keeping of the service, Quality of buses on the route was a sticking point but overwhelming positive comments about the drivers attitude and service  on the service. Ambassador suggested a note was sent to GNE to relay this feedback around driving team

Reintroduction of the 16.38 service was positive but Stagecoach and GNE expresses are bunched together. Could timing be reviewed to provide a more stable regular express to town

90% of colleagues said they’d stay late or work longer to avoid using a non express bus to Newcastle.

Interior layout, WiFi and charge points was listed as a low priority

As I say,  nothing new or astounding here but thought it might interest folk and we all know we love a coast road service on here
Edited 11 Apr 2024, 8:49 pm by Ambassador.
Ambassador
11 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm #567

Thought this may interest some on here. I attended an HR get together Cobalt .and here’s some summarised feedback (disclaimer I have no idea if this is shared with operators or not)

Majority of colleagues remain on hybrid with 1/2 days in office being the average norm. it was felt ticketing options didn’t really address this but acknowledged the new pricing was a positive in terms of day rovers. 

Issues with the. 19 running early or observing the wrong stop, GCT also not accepting the Cobalt free travel zone (which covers the park essentially). Some speeding around the bus gate area was reported 

Feedback that 22X is better served as a decker and colleagues prefer the morning run as the competing X39 has too many stops in comparison.

Feedback that the 22X terminus/waiting point at Market St isn’t convenient for other connections, could this be reviewed or the waiting time removed

Negative feedback on the admittedly limited use of single deckers on the X39 and general time keeping of the service, Quality of buses on the route was a sticking point but overwhelming positive comments about the drivers attitude and service  on the service. Ambassador suggested a note was sent to GNE to relay this feedback around driving team

Reintroduction of the 16.38 service was positive but Stagecoach and GNE expresses are bunched together. Could timing be reviewed to provide a more stable regular express to town

90% of colleagues said they’d stay late or work longer to avoid using a non express bus to Newcastle.

As I say,  nothing new or astounding here but thought it might interest folk and we all know we love a coast road service on here

Storx

11 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm #568
(11 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm)Ambassador Thought this may interest some on here. I attended an HR get together Cobalt .and here’s some summarised feedback (disclaimer I have no idea if this is shared with operators or not)

Must admit, I'm still surprised there's not been more of a push to get a proper service to Northumberland Park (ie 22 extension).

It seems a much quicker and easier journey time, even if you had to change twice than pissing about at Market Street, Haymarket or wherever. Like Gateshead is only 23 minutes on the Metro to Gateshead, say a 10 minute interchange at Northumberland Park (if you had a 10 minute service), you're looking at 38 minutes. Much more competitive than a bus which gets stuck at Corner House etc.

Always seems a missed opportunity to me, the 19's at peak times when they used to be every 15 minutes always seemed quite busy whenever I seen them pulling in. Crazy how bad the connection is from the biggest business park in the UK to the Metro system is considering it's only a mile between them.
Edited 11 Apr 2024, 9:38 pm by Storx.
Storx
11 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm #568

(11 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm)Ambassador Thought this may interest some on here. I attended an HR get together Cobalt .and here’s some summarised feedback (disclaimer I have no idea if this is shared with operators or not)

Must admit, I'm still surprised there's not been more of a push to get a proper service to Northumberland Park (ie 22 extension).

It seems a much quicker and easier journey time, even if you had to change twice than pissing about at Market Street, Haymarket or wherever. Like Gateshead is only 23 minutes on the Metro to Gateshead, say a 10 minute interchange at Northumberland Park (if you had a 10 minute service), you're looking at 38 minutes. Much more competitive than a bus which gets stuck at Corner House etc.

Always seems a missed opportunity to me, the 19's at peak times when they used to be every 15 minutes always seemed quite busy whenever I seen them pulling in. Crazy how bad the connection is from the biggest business park in the UK to the Metro system is considering it's only a mile between them.

Andreos1

11 Apr 2024, 9:47 pm #569

I'd hope the travel team at Cobalt did share it. 
However, I'd not be too optimistic operators would be responsive to it. 

For far too long (and even from insiders posting on here), we've seen the 'operators know best mantra' shine through. 
And despite all of that, the operators don't always make the best decisions (see performance reports, cuts to services etc etc). 

Whether the feedback was laughed at, ignored or responded with a 'nah, it wouldn't work' type of answer - nothing will change. 
The travel team at places like Cobalt must be batting their heads off a wall. Positivity and free, pro-active ready made feedback from focus groups like this, would be snapped up by any other forward thinking industry/sector.

Andreos1
11 Apr 2024, 9:47 pm #569

I'd hope the travel team at Cobalt did share it. 
However, I'd not be too optimistic operators would be responsive to it. 

For far too long (and even from insiders posting on here), we've seen the 'operators know best mantra' shine through. 
And despite all of that, the operators don't always make the best decisions (see performance reports, cuts to services etc etc). 

Whether the feedback was laughed at, ignored or responded with a 'nah, it wouldn't work' type of answer - nothing will change. 
The travel team at places like Cobalt must be batting their heads off a wall. Positivity and free, pro-active ready made feedback from focus groups like this, would be snapped up by any other forward thinking industry/sector.

Ambassador

11 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm #570
(11 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm)Storx Must admit, I'm still surprised there's not been more of a push to get a proper service to Northumberland Park (ie 22 extension).

It did actually come up that the X39 used to operate to Gateshead. If it returned it has  the air of a BSIP funding option to it..

The Metro is interesting, it barely came up tbh. Whether people are conditioned to bus transfers or just put off by the reputation or difficulty of getting to Northumberland park…

A northstar contracted e200 silver link to Northumberland park incoming…

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
11 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm #570

(11 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm)Storx Must admit, I'm still surprised there's not been more of a push to get a proper service to Northumberland Park (ie 22 extension).

It did actually come up that the X39 used to operate to Gateshead. If it returned it has  the air of a BSIP funding option to it..

The Metro is interesting, it barely came up tbh. Whether people are conditioned to bus transfers or just put off by the reputation or difficulty of getting to Northumberland park…

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

23 Apr 2024, 8:26 pm #571
Potentially coming from S106 funding, a mate of Eldest Constantopolus and his parents, have recently moved in to a new property. 

Unsure of the ins and outs, but I do know the mate is making use of a £100 travel voucher (may be Pop, may be GNE specific) to get to and from work.

He doesn't drive, but it will be interesting to see what impact this ticket has long-term for him and other residents on the estate.

Andreos1
23 Apr 2024, 8:26 pm #571

Potentially coming from S106 funding, a mate of Eldest Constantopolus and his parents, have recently moved in to a new property. 

Unsure of the ins and outs, but I do know the mate is making use of a £100 travel voucher (may be Pop, may be GNE specific) to get to and from work.

He doesn't drive, but it will be interesting to see what impact this ticket has long-term for him and other residents on the estate.

Storx

23 Apr 2024, 9:21 pm #572
(11 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm)Ambassador It did actually come up that the X39 used to operate to Gateshead. If it returned it has  the air of a BSIP funding option to it..

Very slow reply, I missed it, that'll be a messy one being stuck in traffic to Gateshead aswell mind.

Always a strange one Northumberland Park. It's even worse the announcements have for Cobalt and Silverlink. Wonder how many people have got off before expecting to just walk there and find it's a mile away and good luck trying to find the bus there. Mind I always feel like it should be part of the Cobalt Free Zone.

Dare I say it, it's the sort of route where autonomous pods would be ideal if they ever did come into existence tbh.
Edited 23 Apr 2024, 9:27 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Apr 2024, 9:21 pm #572

(11 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm)Ambassador It did actually come up that the X39 used to operate to Gateshead. If it returned it has  the air of a BSIP funding option to it..

Very slow reply, I missed it, that'll be a messy one being stuck in traffic to Gateshead aswell mind.

Always a strange one Northumberland Park. It's even worse the announcements have for Cobalt and Silverlink. Wonder how many people have got off before expecting to just walk there and find it's a mile away and good luck trying to find the bus there. Mind I always feel like it should be part of the Cobalt Free Zone.

Dare I say it, it's the sort of route where autonomous pods would be ideal if they ever did come into existence tbh.

Pages (29) Previous 127 28 29

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average