Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29) Previous 113 14 1529 Next
Charles41

14 Sep 2021, 5:53 am #261
I feel greater use should be made of the legislation that allows taxi firms to run bus services. This is used in Tyne & Wear by Nexus in parts of the county.

It would be ideal for rural areas of Northumberland and County Durham. Let's say for example you use a taxi firm from Morpeth on a route to Wallington Hall. Chances are you'll be employing someone with good local knowledge. You'll be using say an eight seater minibus that can also be used for school contracts and general taxi work. You'll be able to negotiate narrow country lanes and pick/up drop off in isolated locations. All that would be needed is training the operator in ticketing options and customer service requirements. With good publicity you could make a success of it never mind encouraging local bus use.

It could also work in areas such as Hartlepool on evenings and Sundays. There are two private hire operators in Hartlepool (23 and Blue line). Use a wheelchair accessible 8 seater after conducting a survey to find out where people wish to travel the most. Then get some publicity in place.

Charles
Charles41
14 Sep 2021, 5:53 am #261

I feel greater use should be made of the legislation that allows taxi firms to run bus services. This is used in Tyne & Wear by Nexus in parts of the county.

It would be ideal for rural areas of Northumberland and County Durham. Let's say for example you use a taxi firm from Morpeth on a route to Wallington Hall. Chances are you'll be employing someone with good local knowledge. You'll be using say an eight seater minibus that can also be used for school contracts and general taxi work. You'll be able to negotiate narrow country lanes and pick/up drop off in isolated locations. All that would be needed is training the operator in ticketing options and customer service requirements. With good publicity you could make a success of it never mind encouraging local bus use.

It could also work in areas such as Hartlepool on evenings and Sundays. There are two private hire operators in Hartlepool (23 and Blue line). Use a wheelchair accessible 8 seater after conducting a survey to find out where people wish to travel the most. Then get some publicity in place.

Charles

Storx

14 Sep 2021, 6:26 am #262
(14 Sep 2021, 5:53 am)Charles41 I feel greater use should be made of the legislation that allows taxi firms to run bus services. This is used in Tyne & Wear by Nexus in parts of the county.

Charles

Sounds like your describing a decent DRT system there ngl. It's where it should be for routes like that and I'm surprised a taxi firm hasn't already developed it anyway. They'd make a fortune at night if they could get a 15 bus mini seater and drop 15 punters off at different spots for a lower fare say 50% cheaper than a usual fare. It's potentially 14 less journeys aswell. All taxis do at night is do Town - Coast - (Empty Town) - Coast - (Empty Town) most the time in N. Tyneside.

Would work well on the likes of Wallington Hall and Hartlepool aswell just run the service when it's needed could have 3 drivers on standby you pick up the phone and book a time and they try to group up any demand. If there's none then it doesn't run at all. Better than running buses which carry fresh air.

Saves money for everyone but sadly it hasn't took off yet as it's too confusing and badly advertised Flex in particular.
Storx
14 Sep 2021, 6:26 am #262

(14 Sep 2021, 5:53 am)Charles41 I feel greater use should be made of the legislation that allows taxi firms to run bus services. This is used in Tyne & Wear by Nexus in parts of the county.

Charles

Sounds like your describing a decent DRT system there ngl. It's where it should be for routes like that and I'm surprised a taxi firm hasn't already developed it anyway. They'd make a fortune at night if they could get a 15 bus mini seater and drop 15 punters off at different spots for a lower fare say 50% cheaper than a usual fare. It's potentially 14 less journeys aswell. All taxis do at night is do Town - Coast - (Empty Town) - Coast - (Empty Town) most the time in N. Tyneside.

Would work well on the likes of Wallington Hall and Hartlepool aswell just run the service when it's needed could have 3 drivers on standby you pick up the phone and book a time and they try to group up any demand. If there's none then it doesn't run at all. Better than running buses which carry fresh air.

Saves money for everyone but sadly it hasn't took off yet as it's too confusing and badly advertised Flex in particular.

Adrian

14 Sep 2021, 9:37 am #263

Charles

Why would taxi firms want to do that though? If the bus service doesn't exist in the first place, then the taxi companies have the monopoly.

A better solution would be to allow local authorities to run their own municipal bus companies again, which would allow the commercial gap to be plugged without giving more work to the private sector.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Sep 2021, 9:37 am #263

Charles

Why would taxi firms want to do that though? If the bus service doesn't exist in the first place, then the taxi companies have the monopoly.

A better solution would be to allow local authorities to run their own municipal bus companies again, which would allow the commercial gap to be plugged without giving more work to the private sector.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

14 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm #264
(14 Sep 2021, 9:37 am)Adrian Why would taxi firms want to do that though? If the bus service doesn't exist in the first place, then the taxi companies have the monopoly.

As good as a municipal bus company sounds, I shudder at the thought of Nexus trying to run one. Most of the other local authorities too for that matter.
deanmachine
14 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm #264

(14 Sep 2021, 9:37 am)Adrian Why would taxi firms want to do that though? If the bus service doesn't exist in the first place, then the taxi companies have the monopoly.

As good as a municipal bus company sounds, I shudder at the thought of Nexus trying to run one. Most of the other local authorities too for that matter.

DeltaMan

14 Sep 2021, 4:47 pm #265

Redcar and Cleveland Council does already, so there's nothing seemingly stopping another council doing that.
DeltaMan
14 Sep 2021, 4:47 pm #265

Redcar and Cleveland Council does already, so there's nothing seemingly stopping another council doing that.

BusLoverMum

14 Sep 2021, 6:29 pm #266
"seen Uttoxeter a town of 19k doesn't have a single evening or Sunday service at all"

It never did, even 40 years ago, (when it was, admittedly, half the size) well before de-regulation. The town was also served by a hotch-potch of services, mostly Stevo's, which ran a town circular and a couple of different routes to Burton, but also PMT, which ran to Hanley and whatever it was ran to Stafford. There was a infrequent service to Derby but people tended to catch the train, instead.

A lot of people did a lot of walking, back then!
BusLoverMum
14 Sep 2021, 6:29 pm #266

"seen Uttoxeter a town of 19k doesn't have a single evening or Sunday service at all"

It never did, even 40 years ago, (when it was, admittedly, half the size) well before de-regulation. The town was also served by a hotch-potch of services, mostly Stevo's, which ran a town circular and a couple of different routes to Burton, but also PMT, which ran to Hanley and whatever it was ran to Stafford. There was a infrequent service to Derby but people tended to catch the train, instead.

A lot of people did a lot of walking, back then!

Charles41

14 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm #267
Maybe the question should be asked are local authorities the best organisations to run local bus services. I would argue in their present state they are not. Many councils are bureaucratic, risk averse and dominated by political factions.

You need an element of private enterprise to take risks and build new markets. I'd argue the late Spirit Buses of Rothbury made a valiant attempt at this. Things took a turn for the worse when the local council awarded the service to the lowest bidder, PCL Travel.

Charles
Charles41
14 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm #267

Maybe the question should be asked are local authorities the best organisations to run local bus services. I would argue in their present state they are not. Many councils are bureaucratic, risk averse and dominated by political factions.

You need an element of private enterprise to take risks and build new markets. I'd argue the late Spirit Buses of Rothbury made a valiant attempt at this. Things took a turn for the worse when the local council awarded the service to the lowest bidder, PCL Travel.

Charles

Andreos1

14 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm #268
(13 Sep 2021, 10:42 am)tcts24 I never said it was moraly right. Capitalism is simply the system inplemented by consecutive govermenments voted in by the masses or some crap like that.

From what I'm told by a friend that works within the social sector of Hartlepool Council, one of the biggest funding problems is the lack of high value housing, meaning they have a higher proportion of band A properties than most other local authority areas, this coupled with over a decade of funding cuts = less funding for what's deemed as less important sectors, such as transport.

Other areas wich may affect the bus industry in the town are the exeptionally cheap taxi's - which again, I'm told make remarkably little profit. Whether this is because of cheap fares, cometition, or maybe a lack of social travel because of the low income much of the local population has due to high unemployment.

Whatever the solution is, it won't be solved overnight by a bus company resurecting long forgotten routes that few if anybody is going to patronise.

Who says it needs to be about resurrecting long forgotten routes? 
We already have a network which is stuck in the 1980's, I'm not sure an evening network needs to be like that too.

It goes without saying that there's more to increasing numbers than maintaining the status quo and potentially giving some vehicles on-board features or pleather seats. 
The fare offers from GNE have introduced are a positive and is seemingly going someway in to improving numbers. 
An evening service in somewhere like Hartlepool can go a long way towards improving job prospects, improving the local economy and evening adding numbers to daytime services. 
If someone can't get a bus home from work, they're unlikely to get a bus to work...

(14 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Charles41 Maybe the question should be asked are local authorities the best organisations to run local bus services. I would argue in their present state they are not. Many councils are bureaucratic, risk averse and dominated by political factions.

Charles

Or these private enterprises just take the risk and stop relying on the public purse?
It's a big ask, but I'm sure they could do it. If they had anything about themselves.
Edited 14 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm #268

(13 Sep 2021, 10:42 am)tcts24 I never said it was moraly right. Capitalism is simply the system inplemented by consecutive govermenments voted in by the masses or some crap like that.

From what I'm told by a friend that works within the social sector of Hartlepool Council, one of the biggest funding problems is the lack of high value housing, meaning they have a higher proportion of band A properties than most other local authority areas, this coupled with over a decade of funding cuts = less funding for what's deemed as less important sectors, such as transport.

Other areas wich may affect the bus industry in the town are the exeptionally cheap taxi's - which again, I'm told make remarkably little profit. Whether this is because of cheap fares, cometition, or maybe a lack of social travel because of the low income much of the local population has due to high unemployment.

Whatever the solution is, it won't be solved overnight by a bus company resurecting long forgotten routes that few if anybody is going to patronise.

Who says it needs to be about resurrecting long forgotten routes? 
We already have a network which is stuck in the 1980's, I'm not sure an evening network needs to be like that too.

It goes without saying that there's more to increasing numbers than maintaining the status quo and potentially giving some vehicles on-board features or pleather seats. 
The fare offers from GNE have introduced are a positive and is seemingly going someway in to improving numbers. 
An evening service in somewhere like Hartlepool can go a long way towards improving job prospects, improving the local economy and evening adding numbers to daytime services. 
If someone can't get a bus home from work, they're unlikely to get a bus to work...

(14 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Charles41 Maybe the question should be asked are local authorities the best organisations to run local bus services. I would argue in their present state they are not. Many councils are bureaucratic, risk averse and dominated by political factions.

Charles

Or these private enterprises just take the risk and stop relying on the public purse?
It's a big ask, but I'm sure they could do it. If they had anything about themselves.

Andreos1

30 Sep 2021, 11:15 am #269
Having heard of a recent MG briefing in the 'Newcastle bus services that need upgrading' thread and the discussion around the lack of services in certain areas and apparent obsession with sending buses to town and city centres, but forcing councils to build bus lanes, it got me thinking about this twitter feed https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic?s=09

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I see the benefits it brings, but some of the delays and driving annoy me (need to get out more).

Quite often, I see reports or live footage featuring certain pinch points and queues of cars, vans, waggons and the occasional bus. 
I've no idea if these cameras and reports are focused on key pinch points and it is a deliberate decision to place the cameras there, but I really do notice the lack of public transport (or public transport that isn't focused around a wide area - see TVTE and 93/94) in the majority of those areas. A coincidence?

Andreos1
30 Sep 2021, 11:15 am #269

Having heard of a recent MG briefing in the 'Newcastle bus services that need upgrading' thread and the discussion around the lack of services in certain areas and apparent obsession with sending buses to town and city centres, but forcing councils to build bus lanes, it got me thinking about this twitter feed https://twitter.com/NELiveTraffic?s=09

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I see the benefits it brings, but some of the delays and driving annoy me (need to get out more).

Quite often, I see reports or live footage featuring certain pinch points and queues of cars, vans, waggons and the occasional bus. 
I've no idea if these cameras and reports are focused on key pinch points and it is a deliberate decision to place the cameras there, but I really do notice the lack of public transport (or public transport that isn't focused around a wide area - see TVTE and 93/94) in the majority of those areas. A coincidence?

Rob44

10 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm #270
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...y-21804417

5 pound ticket for whole of north east? how much is an explorer currently? amd 1 pound for under 19's? oh to be young again!
Rob44
10 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm #270

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...y-21804417

5 pound ticket for whole of north east? how much is an explorer currently? amd 1 pound for under 19's? oh to be young again!

BusLoverMum

10 Oct 2021, 12:25 pm #271
(10 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...y-21804417

5 pound ticket for whole of north east? how much is an explorer currently?  amd 1 pound for under 19's? oh to be young again!
That's under half the price of an explorer, I think.
BusLoverMum
10 Oct 2021, 12:25 pm #271

(10 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...y-21804417

5 pound ticket for whole of north east? how much is an explorer currently?  amd 1 pound for under 19's? oh to be young again!
That's under half the price of an explorer, I think.

Train8261

10 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm #272

Day rover is currently £7.80 (Across Arriva,Go North East, Stagecoach, Metro, Ferry & Raill between Metrocentre and Sunderland)
Explore is £10.90
Train8261
10 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm #272

Day rover is currently £7.80 (Across Arriva,Go North East, Stagecoach, Metro, Ferry & Raill between Metrocentre and Sunderland)
Explore is £10.90

10 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm #273
(10 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm)Train8261 Day rover is currently £7.80 (Across Arriva,Go North East, Stagecoach, Metro, Ferry & Raill between Metrocentre and Sunderland)
Explore is £10.90
Isn't the Day Rover only within Tyne and Wear, so you can't cross into Northumberland or County Durham

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
10 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm #273

(10 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm)Train8261 Day rover is currently £7.80 (Across Arriva,Go North East, Stagecoach, Metro, Ferry & Raill between Metrocentre and Sunderland)
Explore is £10.90
Isn't the Day Rover only within Tyne and Wear, so you can't cross into Northumberland or County Durham

Train8261

10 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm #274
(10 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm)streetdeckfan Isn't the Day Rover only within Tyne and Wear, so you can't cross into Northumberland or County Durham

Unfortunately.  Seems a bit over kill. Your paying £7.80 to stay in T&W but you need £10.90 to cross the border. Still confused why the Explorer doesn't get you any futher on the Northern train than Blaydon or Sunderland since the ticket is valid all the way to Carlisle, Berwick & Scarborough (I think on the X93/X94) but it's probably been told before why it isn't
Train8261
10 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm #274

(10 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm)streetdeckfan Isn't the Day Rover only within Tyne and Wear, so you can't cross into Northumberland or County Durham

Unfortunately.  Seems a bit over kill. Your paying £7.80 to stay in T&W but you need £10.90 to cross the border. Still confused why the Explorer doesn't get you any futher on the Northern train than Blaydon or Sunderland since the ticket is valid all the way to Carlisle, Berwick & Scarborough (I think on the X93/X94) but it's probably been told before why it isn't

Andreos1

10 Oct 2021, 3:37 pm #275

Ironically (?) on the same page, there is a link for this: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...g-21794039
Whilst I agree that lower fares are definitely a positive; to counter it - the state of the regions transport network is holding people back.
I've said it before - if people can't get a bus to and from work, they ain't gonna use it. No matter how cheap it is.

Andreos1
10 Oct 2021, 3:37 pm #275

Ironically (?) on the same page, there is a link for this: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...g-21794039
Whilst I agree that lower fares are definitely a positive; to counter it - the state of the regions transport network is holding people back.
I've said it before - if people can't get a bus to and from work, they ain't gonna use it. No matter how cheap it is.

10 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm #276
(10 Oct 2021, 3:37 pm)Andreos1 Ironically (?) on the same page, there is a link for this: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...g-21794039
Whilst I agree that lower fares are definitely a positive, to counter it - the state of the regions transport network is holding people back.

Agreed, cheaper, cross operator fares is a good start, but better links should be something that this is paying for too for it to make a proper change.
deanmachine
10 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm #276

(10 Oct 2021, 3:37 pm)Andreos1 Ironically (?) on the same page, there is a link for this: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...g-21794039
Whilst I agree that lower fares are definitely a positive, to counter it - the state of the regions transport network is holding people back.

Agreed, cheaper, cross operator fares is a good start, but better links should be something that this is paying for too for it to make a proper change.

MurdnunoC

10 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm #277
A cheap £5 multi-operator, multi-modal ticket will probably entice me to use public transport for longer distance journeys, mostly for leisure purposes, when time isn't really an issue.
MurdnunoC
10 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm #277

A cheap £5 multi-operator, multi-modal ticket will probably entice me to use public transport for longer distance journeys, mostly for leisure purposes, when time isn't really an issue.

IRHardy

10 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm #278
(10 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm)Train8261 Unfortunately.  Seems a bit over kill. Your paying £7.80 to stay in T&W but you need £10.90 to cross the border. Still confused why the Explorer doesn't get you any futher on the Northern train than Blaydon or Sunderland since the ticket is valid all the way to Carlisle, Berwick & Scarborough (I think on the X93/X94) but it's probably been told before why it isn't
Because the Northern line between Blaydon and Sunderland is the only bit that is included within the Network One ticketing system.

If the Explorer ticket was valid on more of the Northern Rail network, the Explorer ticket would be a lot more expensive. For example Northern sell a Tyne & Tees Day Ranger which is valid on LNERNorthernTransPennine ExpressCrossCountry services on the following lines: Morpeth - Darlington, Hexham - Middlesbrough, Bishop Auckland - Saltburn, Middlesbrough - Whitby & Middlesbrough - Northallerton. It is not valid before 09:00 and in 2019 it was £23.40 for Adult ticket - so more than double the £10.90 for the Explorer Ticket and it does not get you to Berwick, Carlisle or Scarborough (although the Explorer ticket is not valid on the Yorkshire Coastliner buses between York and Scarborough which is the only way you can get there by train):
Tyne & Tees Day Ranger

IRHardy
10 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm #278

(10 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm)Train8261 Unfortunately.  Seems a bit over kill. Your paying £7.80 to stay in T&W but you need £10.90 to cross the border. Still confused why the Explorer doesn't get you any futher on the Northern train than Blaydon or Sunderland since the ticket is valid all the way to Carlisle, Berwick & Scarborough (I think on the X93/X94) but it's probably been told before why it isn't
Because the Northern line between Blaydon and Sunderland is the only bit that is included within the Network One ticketing system.

If the Explorer ticket was valid on more of the Northern Rail network, the Explorer ticket would be a lot more expensive. For example Northern sell a Tyne & Tees Day Ranger which is valid on LNERNorthernTransPennine ExpressCrossCountry services on the following lines: Morpeth - Darlington, Hexham - Middlesbrough, Bishop Auckland - Saltburn, Middlesbrough - Whitby & Middlesbrough - Northallerton. It is not valid before 09:00 and in 2019 it was £23.40 for Adult ticket - so more than double the £10.90 for the Explorer Ticket and it does not get you to Berwick, Carlisle or Scarborough (although the Explorer ticket is not valid on the Yorkshire Coastliner buses between York and Scarborough which is the only way you can get there by train):
Tyne & Tees Day Ranger

Train8261

10 Oct 2021, 8:07 pm #279
(10 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm)IRHardy Because the Northern line between Blaydon and Sunderland is the only bit that is included within the Network One ticketing system.

Tyne & Tees Day Ranger

For great value throughout the region, you can’t beat Network One Explorer North East! It’s one of the most extensive schemes in the country, from the Scottish Borders down to Richmond in the south and Carlisle in the west

Stagecoach North East & Cumbria services within the Carlisle city boundary

From the Scottish Borders throughout Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, County Durham, Teesside and North Yorkshire the Network One Explorer North East Ticket gives you the freedom to plan your days out
Train8261
10 Oct 2021, 8:07 pm #279

(10 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm)IRHardy Because the Northern line between Blaydon and Sunderland is the only bit that is included within the Network One ticketing system.

Tyne & Tees Day Ranger

For great value throughout the region, you can’t beat Network One Explorer North East! It’s one of the most extensive schemes in the country, from the Scottish Borders down to Richmond in the south and Carlisle in the west

Stagecoach North East & Cumbria services within the Carlisle city boundary

From the Scottish Borders throughout Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, County Durham, Teesside and North Yorkshire the Network One Explorer North East Ticket gives you the freedom to plan your days out

Andreos1

10 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #280
(10 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm)deanmachine Agreed, cheaper, cross operator fares is a good start, but better links should be something that this is paying for too for it to make a proper change.

It needs to be imo, otherwise any growth from lower fares would only be temporary.
The changes to fares and the network could make numbers sustainable longer term, reversing the trends seen for decades.

Andreos1
10 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #280

(10 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm)deanmachine Agreed, cheaper, cross operator fares is a good start, but better links should be something that this is paying for too for it to make a proper change.

It needs to be imo, otherwise any growth from lower fares would only be temporary.
The changes to fares and the network could make numbers sustainable longer term, reversing the trends seen for decades.

Pages (29) Previous 113 14 1529 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average