Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29) Previous 117 18 1929 Next
03 Jun 2022, 10:22 am #341
(03 Jun 2022, 7:57 am)busmanT Is German transport all franchised?
As it's obviously easier to do this type of offer if you haven't hundreds of individual commercial operators to negotiate with.
Government initiative, obviously big share of market to DB/Arriva/Alex but covers all operators.
54APhotography
03 Jun 2022, 10:22 am #341

(03 Jun 2022, 7:57 am)busmanT Is German transport all franchised?
As it's obviously easier to do this type of offer if you haven't hundreds of individual commercial operators to negotiate with.
Government initiative, obviously big share of market to DB/Arriva/Alex but covers all operators.

Andreos1

11 Jun 2022, 11:07 am #342
https://www.ft.com/content/b540a307-e258...d22ede86a2

Maybe tables and paint jobs attract passengers after all?!

Rise in petrol prices sees people make the switch to bus.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Jun 2022, 11:07 am #342

https://www.ft.com/content/b540a307-e258...d22ede86a2

Maybe tables and paint jobs attract passengers after all?!

11 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm #343
(11 Jun 2022, 11:07 am)Andreos1 Maybe tables and paint jobs attract passengers after all?!

The train is certainly cheaper now that Northern have advances available on the day, but buses from my area twinned with onward travel from Haymarket doesn't offset the cost of fuel until I'm travelling as far as Sunderland or Alnwick...
omnicity4659
11 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm #343

(11 Jun 2022, 11:07 am)Andreos1 Maybe tables and paint jobs attract passengers after all?!

The train is certainly cheaper now that Northern have advances available on the day, but buses from my area twinned with onward travel from Haymarket doesn't offset the cost of fuel until I'm travelling as far as Sunderland or Alnwick...

Andreos1

11 Jun 2022, 8:35 pm #344
(11 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm)omnicity4659 The train is certainly cheaper now that Northern have advances available on the day, but buses from my area twinned with onward travel from Haymarket doesn't offset the cost of fuel until I'm travelling as far as Sunderland or Alnwick...
There's the time factor to take in to account too.
Did a trip the other day in the car.
Round trip of about 100 miles. 3 different locations (excluding the start and end point which was the same) and it took just over 2 hours in the car.
Including connections (forget about any missing 4's that were abandoned at the Galleries), I reckon it would be touching on 7 hours on the bus.
7 or 8 buses, depending which route I took and two different operators.
It would have been 6 hours prior to the post-pandemic cuts.

That's going to take some serious increase in fuel costs and decrease in bus fares to even consider making the switch, beyond fancying a day of gricing.

Appreciate its just one example (not that extreme), but it sums up the network across the region.

Andreos1
11 Jun 2022, 8:35 pm #344

(11 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm)omnicity4659 The train is certainly cheaper now that Northern have advances available on the day, but buses from my area twinned with onward travel from Haymarket doesn't offset the cost of fuel until I'm travelling as far as Sunderland or Alnwick...
There's the time factor to take in to account too.
Did a trip the other day in the car.
Round trip of about 100 miles. 3 different locations (excluding the start and end point which was the same) and it took just over 2 hours in the car.
Including connections (forget about any missing 4's that were abandoned at the Galleries), I reckon it would be touching on 7 hours on the bus.
7 or 8 buses, depending which route I took and two different operators.
It would have been 6 hours prior to the post-pandemic cuts.

That's going to take some serious increase in fuel costs and decrease in bus fares to even consider making the switch, beyond fancying a day of gricing.

Appreciate its just one example (not that extreme), but it sums up the network across the region.

Andreos1

27 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm #345
Ahead of the 22/23 Premier League starting, Network Ticketing have released info on the latest release of its Magpie Mover.

This season's Magpie Mover pass is now on sale to NUFC season ticket holders at a new price of £25 for all age categories (previously £30) and with an extended period of usage.

Magpie Movers permit public transport use across Tyne and wear on home matchdays beginning three hours before kick-off and now valid from any Newcastle City Centre departure point until the end of service that day, replacing the previous three hour post-match window.

Let's just hope there's enough public transport about to shift the huge numbers expected to take the offer up!

Andreos1
27 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm #345

Ahead of the 22/23 Premier League starting, Network Ticketing have released info on the latest release of its Magpie Mover.

This season's Magpie Mover pass is now on sale to NUFC season ticket holders at a new price of £25 for all age categories (previously £30) and with an extended period of usage.

Magpie Movers permit public transport use across Tyne and wear on home matchdays beginning three hours before kick-off and now valid from any Newcastle City Centre departure point until the end of service that day, replacing the previous three hour post-match window.

Let's just hope there's enough public transport about to shift the huge numbers expected to take the offer up!

Rob44

27 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm #346
(27 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm)Andreos1 Ahead of the 22/23 Premier League starting, Network Ticketing have released info on the latest release of its Magpie Mover.

I bought this when it was 10 ages ago.... since its been slowly rising over the last few season ( and with buses bit turning up) i havent bother. Now its actually gone down a fiver i might invest especially as you can use it at any time after the match now rather than only up to two hours. But cant get on site to buy it!
Rob44
27 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm #346

(27 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm)Andreos1 Ahead of the 22/23 Premier League starting, Network Ticketing have released info on the latest release of its Magpie Mover.

I bought this when it was 10 ages ago.... since its been slowly rising over the last few season ( and with buses bit turning up) i havent bother. Now its actually gone down a fiver i might invest especially as you can use it at any time after the match now rather than only up to two hours. But cant get on site to buy it!

Andreos1

27 Jun 2022, 5:26 pm #347
(27 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm)Rob44 I bought this when it was 10 ages ago.... since its been slowly rising over the last few season ( and with buses bit turning up) i havent bother. Now its actually gone down a fiver i might invest especially as you can use it at any time after the match now rather than only up to two hours. But cant get on site to buy it!
With the added flexibility of being able to use it on multiple operators. So if its a JH there and a GCT home afterwards, you don't have to worry about just having a GNE ticket. 

Throw in to the mix all of these people now working from home and not having a specific operators weekly or monthly ticket and it's win win as far as the Magpie Mover is concerned.

£15 for circa 20 games is a steal.

Andreos1
27 Jun 2022, 5:26 pm #347

(27 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm)Rob44 I bought this when it was 10 ages ago.... since its been slowly rising over the last few season ( and with buses bit turning up) i havent bother. Now its actually gone down a fiver i might invest especially as you can use it at any time after the match now rather than only up to two hours. But cant get on site to buy it!
With the added flexibility of being able to use it on multiple operators. So if its a JH there and a GCT home afterwards, you don't have to worry about just having a GNE ticket. 

Throw in to the mix all of these people now working from home and not having a specific operators weekly or monthly ticket and it's win win as far as the Magpie Mover is concerned.

£15 for circa 20 games is a steal.

L469 YVK

02 Jul 2022, 9:33 am #348
I've seen some fairly decent loadings on the 309/X39 in the mornings ex Newcastle going along the Coast Road towards Cobalt. Don't know about the Blyth > Cobalt flow.

Are more workers going back to offices at the Cobalt? I know Arriva dropping the X6 has probably helped GNE's numbers slightly.
L469 YVK
02 Jul 2022, 9:33 am #348

I've seen some fairly decent loadings on the 309/X39 in the mornings ex Newcastle going along the Coast Road towards Cobalt. Don't know about the Blyth > Cobalt flow.

Are more workers going back to offices at the Cobalt? I know Arriva dropping the X6 has probably helped GNE's numbers slightly.

02 Jul 2022, 1:25 pm #349
(02 Jul 2022, 9:33 am)L469 YVK Are more workers going back to offices at the Cobalt?

Of course. But it's easier to point fingers at them "not going back" as an excuse for incompetence, something seen across the wider transport industry, especially by the DfT.
omnicity4659
02 Jul 2022, 1:25 pm #349

(02 Jul 2022, 9:33 am)L469 YVK Are more workers going back to offices at the Cobalt?

Of course. But it's easier to point fingers at them "not going back" as an excuse for incompetence, something seen across the wider transport industry, especially by the DfT.

Adrian

02 Jul 2022, 1:45 pm #350
Why are free bus pass holders staying away?
https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/news/w...ying-away/

A direct link to a copy of the full report is also here: https://d3cez36w5wymxj.cloudfront.net/wp...survey.pdf

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Jul 2022, 1:45 pm #350

Why are free bus pass holders staying away?
https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/news/w...ying-away/

A direct link to a copy of the full report is also here: https://d3cez36w5wymxj.cloudfront.net/wp...survey.pdf

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

03 Aug 2022, 11:07 am #351
I'm currently working on a bit of research for a very large organisation getting feedback on plans for new buildings in central Newcastle, and rather interestingly when asked what is most important, one thing that comes up rather frequently is more parking, and out of the many hundreds of responses I've gone through so far, only 2 have mentioned access to public transport.
streetdeckfan
03 Aug 2022, 11:07 am #351

I'm currently working on a bit of research for a very large organisation getting feedback on plans for new buildings in central Newcastle, and rather interestingly when asked what is most important, one thing that comes up rather frequently is more parking, and out of the many hundreds of responses I've gone through so far, only 2 have mentioned access to public transport.

Unber43

08 Aug 2022, 9:59 pm #352
When XLines was at its peak at Consett, GNE offered...

2x X45
1x X46
1x X70
1x X71
1x 47
1x 47A 
7/8 buses per hour to Newcastle from Consett, you could get to Metrocentre & Newcastle every 10 mins within an hour

It is now..

2x X45
1x X71
2x 47 = 5 buses per hour from Consett, 3 buses per hour under 1 hour to Newcastle. 

But GNE totally upgraded the entire Consett network brand new buses, however since then there has been slashes 

X46 reduced to 1ph, now 0ph 
47A 1ph, now 0ph 
47 1ph, now 2ph. X46 was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers, yet the 47 was double in frequency. 
X70 withdrawn 
X30 extension to Consett withdrawn. 

Clearly GNE old routes aren't working, I was on the X71 today as well as the 47 and I was thinking about the reductions as people were complaning in Consett I do wonder how many people who live on the X45/47/X71 route and travel to Newcastle/Metrocentre/Gateshead using their car instead of the bus when they are able to, why are they doing it when you could get a bus every 15 mins at one point and I think thats what GNE have to find out why they aren't using their services, do they not want to walk so far to the bus stop, when there car is right outside, do they need to change buses? 

GNE needs to find out why people aren't using their services, instead of relying on old routes which used to work e.g 39/38 they need to adapt to new travel plans. It would be really intresting for GNE/DCC to do a survey on the streets where the buses stop and a couple of street either side which have 2-5 mins walking why they are using it, what would make them use it?
Unber43
08 Aug 2022, 9:59 pm #352

When XLines was at its peak at Consett, GNE offered...

2x X45
1x X46
1x X70
1x X71
1x 47
1x 47A 
7/8 buses per hour to Newcastle from Consett, you could get to Metrocentre & Newcastle every 10 mins within an hour

It is now..

2x X45
1x X71
2x 47 = 5 buses per hour from Consett, 3 buses per hour under 1 hour to Newcastle. 

But GNE totally upgraded the entire Consett network brand new buses, however since then there has been slashes 

47A 1ph, now 0ph 
47 1ph, now 2ph. X46 was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers, yet the 47 was double in frequency. 
X70 withdrawn 

Clearly GNE old routes aren't working, I was on the X71 today as well as the 47 and I was thinking about the reductions as people were complaning in Consett I do wonder how many people who live on the X45/47/X71 route and travel to Newcastle/Metrocentre/Gateshead using their car instead of the bus when they are able to, why are they doing it when you could get a bus every 15 mins at one point and I think thats what GNE have to find out why they aren't using their services, do they not want to walk so far to the bus stop, when there car is right outside, do they need to change buses? 

GNE needs to find out why people aren't using their services, instead of relying on old routes which used to work e.g 39/38 they need to adapt to new travel plans. It would be really intresting for GNE/DCC to do a survey on the streets where the buses stop and a couple of street either side which have 2-5 mins walking why they are using it, what would make them use it?

Storx

08 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm #353
(08 Aug 2022, 9:59 pm)Unber43 When XLines was at its peak at Consett, GNE offered...

2x X45
2x X46
1x X70
1x X71
1x 47
1x 47A 
1x X30 = 9 buses per hour to Newcastle from Consett, you could get to Metrocentre & Newcastle every 10 mins within an hour

It is now..

2x X45
1x X71

47A 1ph, now 0ph 
X70 withdrawn 

It was

X45 - X2
X46 - X2
X70 - X1
X71 - X1
X30 - X1

or

X45 - X2
X46 - X1
47/47A - X2
X70/X71 - X2

There's never been 9 buses an hour to Consett any time recently, just saying.
Storx
08 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm #353

(08 Aug 2022, 9:59 pm)Unber43 When XLines was at its peak at Consett, GNE offered...

2x X45
2x X46
1x X70
1x X71
1x 47
1x 47A 
1x X30 = 9 buses per hour to Newcastle from Consett, you could get to Metrocentre & Newcastle every 10 mins within an hour

It is now..

2x X45
1x X71

47A 1ph, now 0ph 
X70 withdrawn 

It was

X45 - X2
X46 - X2
X70 - X1
X71 - X1
X30 - X1

or

X45 - X2
X46 - X1
47/47A - X2
X70/X71 - X2

Unber43

08 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm #354
(08 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm)Storx It was

X45 - X2
X46 - X2
X70 - X1
X71 - X1
X30 - X1

or

X45 - X2
X46 - X1
47/47A - X2
X70/X71 - X2

Sorry got confused with the dates of when the routes were withdrawn, when was the X30 extension withdrawn can anyone recall?
Unber43
08 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm #354

(08 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm)Storx It was

X45 - X2
X46 - X2
X70 - X1
X71 - X1
X30 - X1

or

X45 - X2
X46 - X1
47/47A - X2
X70/X71 - X2

Sorry got confused with the dates of when the routes were withdrawn, when was the X30 extension withdrawn can anyone recall?

08 Aug 2022, 10:12 pm #355
Possibly not in the best thread but not sure where else to post it...have wondered for a while why, when we hear all the challenges of low passenger numbers etc, operators continue to run double deckers all through the evening, often carrying fresh air. Would it not be more economical, and better for the environment, if they pulled the deckers off after the evening peak and subbed with single decks from other routes (once their frequencies have reduced). I get that in some cases this would introduce a logistical challenge/dead mileage but in many cases (especially SNE) plenty of routes run past or close to the depots. Obviously for GNE it would be more of an issue as the branding would go out the window, but there are plenty of scheduled examples of wrong brands over the recent past. I just wonder if it would help make some of the more marginal routes a bit less of a black hole e.g. running a Solo, Streetlight or E200 instead of a B9 or E400.

Realise can't do anything about the overhead of driver wages but given fuel costs are cited as need for fares increases etc, surely using less fuel hungry vehicles would make sense. And of course, would need a bit of common sense, not doing the above on match days or other times/routes of high demand...though being realistic that is not very many (matchdays aside) these days.
stagecoachbusdepot
08 Aug 2022, 10:12 pm #355

Possibly not in the best thread but not sure where else to post it...have wondered for a while why, when we hear all the challenges of low passenger numbers etc, operators continue to run double deckers all through the evening, often carrying fresh air. Would it not be more economical, and better for the environment, if they pulled the deckers off after the evening peak and subbed with single decks from other routes (once their frequencies have reduced). I get that in some cases this would introduce a logistical challenge/dead mileage but in many cases (especially SNE) plenty of routes run past or close to the depots. Obviously for GNE it would be more of an issue as the branding would go out the window, but there are plenty of scheduled examples of wrong brands over the recent past. I just wonder if it would help make some of the more marginal routes a bit less of a black hole e.g. running a Solo, Streetlight or E200 instead of a B9 or E400.

Realise can't do anything about the overhead of driver wages but given fuel costs are cited as need for fares increases etc, surely using less fuel hungry vehicles would make sense. And of course, would need a bit of common sense, not doing the above on match days or other times/routes of high demand...though being realistic that is not very many (matchdays aside) these days.

Storx

08 Aug 2022, 10:24 pm #356
(08 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm)Unber43 Sorry got confused with the dates of when the routes were withdrawn, when was the X30 extension withdrawn can anyone recall?

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/getting-bu...-september - With those changes I believe.
Storx
08 Aug 2022, 10:24 pm #356

(08 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm)Unber43 Sorry got confused with the dates of when the routes were withdrawn, when was the X30 extension withdrawn can anyone recall?

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/getting-bu...-september - With those changes I believe.

Unber43

08 Aug 2022, 11:09 pm #357
From 2016 to 2017 to 2018 to 2019 was there an increase passenger number for GNE services?
Unber43
08 Aug 2022, 11:09 pm #357

From 2016 to 2017 to 2018 to 2019 was there an increase passenger number for GNE services?

Ambassador

08 Aug 2022, 11:13 pm #358
(03 Aug 2022, 11:07 am)streetdeckfan I'm currently working on a bit of research for a very large organisation getting feedback on plans for new buildings in central Newcastle, and rather interestingly when asked what is most important, one thing that comes up rather frequently is more parking, and out of the many hundreds of responses I've gone through so far, only 2 have mentioned access to public transport.
Is it really surprising? Buses at the moment are incredibly unreliable and relatively expensive vs a car.

The waiting lists for ebikes and car share schemes are endless at the moment for us. We’re still paying for the vast majority of colleagues to use taxi/ Uber over public transport on their office day

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Aug 2022, 11:13 pm #358

(03 Aug 2022, 11:07 am)streetdeckfan I'm currently working on a bit of research for a very large organisation getting feedback on plans for new buildings in central Newcastle, and rather interestingly when asked what is most important, one thing that comes up rather frequently is more parking, and out of the many hundreds of responses I've gone through so far, only 2 have mentioned access to public transport.
Is it really surprising? Buses at the moment are incredibly unreliable and relatively expensive vs a car.

The waiting lists for ebikes and car share schemes are endless at the moment for us. We’re still paying for the vast majority of colleagues to use taxi/ Uber over public transport on their office day

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

18 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm #359
https://twitter.com/transport_north/stat...0qFgjTaO4g&s=19

I'd go, but I'd have to drive there...

Andreos1
18 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm #359

https://twitter.com/transport_north/stat...0qFgjTaO4g&s=19

BusLoverMum

18 Aug 2022, 6:26 pm #360
(18 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/transport_north/stat...0qFgjTaO4g&s=19

And clearly not interested in the views of those who work  weekdays,  9-5
BusLoverMum
18 Aug 2022, 6:26 pm #360

(18 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/transport_north/stat...0qFgjTaO4g&s=19

And clearly not interested in the views of those who work  weekdays,  9-5

Pages (29) Previous 117 18 1929 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average