Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29): Previous 13 4 529 Next
02 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm #61
(02 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...07169?s=19

An interesting thread regarding Sunday services within Harrogate.

I think the issue is that operators are still treating Sundays as if everybody just stays stays at home and watches Songs of Praise, when in reality for most people now a Sunday is just a normal day (The same reason I think we need the Sunday Trading Act abolished)

On a Sunday, the shops at Tindale Crescent are absolutely packed, yet GNE don't bring the X21 down here on a Sunday. It's very rare to find any shops that aren't open on Sundays now, so how are people supposed to get to work? It's alright running services at a lower frequency, but not running services at all on a Sunday makes no sense to me

I was also very surprised to find out that the Durham P&R doesn't operate at all on a Sunday!

Regarding the free transport, the only reason it's viable for them is because they're running electrics with very low running costs. The sponsors they have are probably contributing a lot less than you think. I'd imagine their main cost on a Sunday would actually be the drivers
streetdeckfan
02 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm #61

(02 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...07169?s=19

An interesting thread regarding Sunday services within Harrogate.

I think the issue is that operators are still treating Sundays as if everybody just stays stays at home and watches Songs of Praise, when in reality for most people now a Sunday is just a normal day (The same reason I think we need the Sunday Trading Act abolished)

On a Sunday, the shops at Tindale Crescent are absolutely packed, yet GNE don't bring the X21 down here on a Sunday. It's very rare to find any shops that aren't open on Sundays now, so how are people supposed to get to work? It's alright running services at a lower frequency, but not running services at all on a Sunday makes no sense to me

I was also very surprised to find out that the Durham P&R doesn't operate at all on a Sunday!

Regarding the free transport, the only reason it's viable for them is because they're running electrics with very low running costs. The sponsors they have are probably contributing a lot less than you think. I'd imagine their main cost on a Sunday would actually be the drivers

Andreos1

28 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm #62
https://twitter.com/ChronicleLive/status...78272?s=19

Interesting read and interesting comments.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
28 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm #62

https://twitter.com/ChronicleLive/status...78272?s=19

28 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm #63
Obviously price is a factor, depending on your journey it can vary wildly (and as i commented elsewhere, if you have to make a change the prices go up exponentially, unless you have a day ticket)
For me, a bus is far, far cheaper than car. £95 a month (it could be £68 if I was willing to use the app, which I'm not) is a bargain in my opinion for a month of unlimited travel on GNE (except X9/X10)
But for shorter journeys, the price of a day ticket is absolutely off putting. And as I've also brought up several times (and have been told by MG that they're 'looking in to it') is the lack of multi operator tickets in County Durham!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
28 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm #63

Obviously price is a factor, depending on your journey it can vary wildly (and as i commented elsewhere, if you have to make a change the prices go up exponentially, unless you have a day ticket)
For me, a bus is far, far cheaper than car. £95 a month (it could be £68 if I was willing to use the app, which I'm not) is a bargain in my opinion for a month of unlimited travel on GNE (except X9/X10)
But for shorter journeys, the price of a day ticket is absolutely off putting. And as I've also brought up several times (and have been told by MG that they're 'looking in to it') is the lack of multi operator tickets in County Durham!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

BusLoverMum

28 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm #64
(28 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/ChronicleLive/status...78272?s=19

And a Stagecoach Hull bus to illustrate it.
BusLoverMum
28 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm #64

(28 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/ChronicleLive/status...78272?s=19

And a Stagecoach Hull bus to illustrate it.

28 Jan 2020, 7:50 pm #65
(28 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm)BusLoverMum And a Stagecoach Hull bus to illustrate it.

Would you expect anything less from The Chronicle?
streetdeckfan
28 Jan 2020, 7:50 pm #65

(28 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm)BusLoverMum And a Stagecoach Hull bus to illustrate it.

Would you expect anything less from The Chronicle?

Rob44

02 Feb 2020, 10:09 am #66
The comments Re 57 not stopping on Jackson street are spot on. Its a pain in the ass having to walk up from the Metropole to the interchange when you've had one to many!
Rob44
02 Feb 2020, 10:09 am #66

The comments Re 57 not stopping on Jackson street are spot on. Its a pain in the ass having to walk up from the Metropole to the interchange when you've had one to many!

BusLoverMum

15 Mar 2020, 8:41 am #67
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-51815726

More than. 1.3 million people live 2km or more from a bus stop with a regular service. This data has been collated for BBC's panorama, tomorrow might at 8:30.
BusLoverMum
15 Mar 2020, 8:41 am #67

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-51815726

More than. 1.3 million people live 2km or more from a bus stop with a regular service. This data has been collated for BBC's panorama, tomorrow might at 8:30.

Andreos1

15 Mar 2020, 9:16 am #68
(15 Mar 2020, 8:41 am)BusLoverMum https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-51815726

More than. 1.3 million people live 2km or more from a bus stop with a regular service. This data has been collated for BBC's panorama, tomorrow night at 8:30.

I've literally just been reading this. 
Further in to the article, is a section showing this graph! 
.jpg
Screenshot_20200315_091648_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 538.45 KB / Downloads: 34

Scary stuff.

Andreos1
15 Mar 2020, 9:16 am #68

(15 Mar 2020, 8:41 am)BusLoverMum https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-51815726

More than. 1.3 million people live 2km or more from a bus stop with a regular service. This data has been collated for BBC's panorama, tomorrow night at 8:30.

I've literally just been reading this. 
.jpg
Screenshot_20200315_091648_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 538.45 KB / Downloads: 34

Scary stuff.

BusLoverMum

15 Mar 2020, 4:40 pm #69
(15 Mar 2020, 9:16 am)Andreos1 I've literally just been reading this. 

Scary stuff.
It's quite startling, isn't it? And it's probably not one single issue. The cost will be a factor. People aren't going to pay £7+ return for a food shop when they have a £40 weekly budget and can share a taxi for much less and not have to juggle bags. People aren't going to take a trip out to a bigger town for a nice change when their hourly bus sometimes doesn't show up. People aren't going to take the bus to work when they work shifts and their evening services have been cut. My parents are in the 1.3 million after losing their bus to Hull, so they're not going to catch the bus, either, unless enough other people want to use the dial A bus.
BusLoverMum
15 Mar 2020, 4:40 pm #69

(15 Mar 2020, 9:16 am)Andreos1 I've literally just been reading this. 

Scary stuff.
It's quite startling, isn't it? And it's probably not one single issue. The cost will be a factor. People aren't going to pay £7+ return for a food shop when they have a £40 weekly budget and can share a taxi for much less and not have to juggle bags. People aren't going to take a trip out to a bigger town for a nice change when their hourly bus sometimes doesn't show up. People aren't going to take the bus to work when they work shifts and their evening services have been cut. My parents are in the 1.3 million after losing their bus to Hull, so they're not going to catch the bus, either, unless enough other people want to use the dial A bus.

col87

19 Apr 2020, 9:39 pm #70
I think this is a double edged sword of getting people on the bus and passengers can be broken down into 3 groups although some overlap.  

1 Enthusiasts. We all like buses on here so we will go on one whenever we can despite any alternatives there is because it's a hobby to us.  We try getting certain buses or having days out on them.

2 People who don't have a car.  They have no choice but to use the bus. They don't care if it an 04 plate Dennis Dart or 69 plate Streetdeck they want to get from A to B as quick as possible. WiFi and charger points are just a bonus.  

3 People who can drive and using bus as a last resort.  It's these people the company need to try encourage to keep using the bus. 

It's this group what need the most encouragement. Go North East having a big picture on the back of the street decks showing people standing won't encourage people to use the bus.  Neither does covering the Windows with pointless branding ( smaller companies doing it for advertising purposes to get revenue I can understand). The way to encourage people to use the bus more is having services that people want and getting them there as quick as possible. Why would people in Elwick or stillington who have a car want to use the bus at all when none of the company's can be bothered to serve their area.   A family who parents don't work why would they get bus when it cheaper for them to use a taxi.   The only way to get people who don't already regularly use the bus and keep people who are is by making sure every area has at least a semi regular service and cheap fares along with journeys been as quick as possible. Obviously the problem is most companies won't do that because they are a businesses and won't serve anywhere unless they know they can make money or get a subsidy for it.  They buy the buses so can cover the Windows if they want because the management like having a nice shiny new branding on the bus and the first two groups will use the bus either way. So unless bus companies start providing services for people instead of profit or councils find the money to subsidise services again passengers are likely to stay the same or keep dropping no matter how many new buses have WiFi charger points and next stop announcements.
col87
19 Apr 2020, 9:39 pm #70

I think this is a double edged sword of getting people on the bus and passengers can be broken down into 3 groups although some overlap.  

1 Enthusiasts. We all like buses on here so we will go on one whenever we can despite any alternatives there is because it's a hobby to us.  We try getting certain buses or having days out on them.

2 People who don't have a car.  They have no choice but to use the bus. They don't care if it an 04 plate Dennis Dart or 69 plate Streetdeck they want to get from A to B as quick as possible. WiFi and charger points are just a bonus.  

3 People who can drive and using bus as a last resort.  It's these people the company need to try encourage to keep using the bus. 

It's this group what need the most encouragement. Go North East having a big picture on the back of the street decks showing people standing won't encourage people to use the bus.  Neither does covering the Windows with pointless branding ( smaller companies doing it for advertising purposes to get revenue I can understand). The way to encourage people to use the bus more is having services that people want and getting them there as quick as possible. Why would people in Elwick or stillington who have a car want to use the bus at all when none of the company's can be bothered to serve their area.   A family who parents don't work why would they get bus when it cheaper for them to use a taxi.   The only way to get people who don't already regularly use the bus and keep people who are is by making sure every area has at least a semi regular service and cheap fares along with journeys been as quick as possible. Obviously the problem is most companies won't do that because they are a businesses and won't serve anywhere unless they know they can make money or get a subsidy for it.  They buy the buses so can cover the Windows if they want because the management like having a nice shiny new branding on the bus and the first two groups will use the bus either way. So unless bus companies start providing services for people instead of profit or councils find the money to subsidise services again passengers are likely to stay the same or keep dropping no matter how many new buses have WiFi charger points and next stop announcements.

Andreos1

25 Apr 2020, 10:00 am #71
A study carried out by a transport consultancy has found that there will be a significant drop in passenger numbers once this Covid19 stuff is over. 
No idea on the sample size used (remember that one eezypeazy?), but it will be interesting to see if their results are replicated in real life.

Edit: found the source http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2020...wer-trips/

Andreos1
25 Apr 2020, 10:00 am #71

A study carried out by a transport consultancy has found that there will be a significant drop in passenger numbers once this Covid19 stuff is over. 
No idea on the sample size used (remember that one eezypeazy?), but it will be interesting to see if their results are replicated in real life.

BusLoverMum

25 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm #72
(25 Apr 2020, 10:00 am)Andreos1 A study carried out by a transport consultancy has found that there will be a significant drop in passenger numbers once this Covid19 stuff is over. 

Well, in the next year or so, which is realistically how long we have before the end has any chance of being in sight, many people will be finding alternative transport for work, shopping, etc. 

Supermarkets that have initially struggled with delivery capacity will have it well and truly sorted, as will high street retailers with previously half arsed online presence. 

A small proportion of people are never leaving the house ever again.
BusLoverMum
25 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm #72

(25 Apr 2020, 10:00 am)Andreos1 A study carried out by a transport consultancy has found that there will be a significant drop in passenger numbers once this Covid19 stuff is over. 

Well, in the next year or so, which is realistically how long we have before the end has any chance of being in sight, many people will be finding alternative transport for work, shopping, etc. 

Supermarkets that have initially struggled with delivery capacity will have it well and truly sorted, as will high street retailers with previously half arsed online presence. 

citaro5284

28 Apr 2020, 3:07 pm #73
Roger talks about the latest satisfaction figures

https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/04/28/f...isfaction/
citaro5284
28 Apr 2020, 3:07 pm #73

Roger talks about the latest satisfaction figures

https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/04/28/f...isfaction/

Andreos1

04 May 2020, 1:10 pm #74
(25 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm)BusLoverMum Well, in the next year or so, which is realistically how long we have before the end has any chance of being in sight, many people will be finding alternative transport for work, shopping, etc. 

Whilst operators could never have factored anything like the current situation in to their forecasts, it makes you wonder what they could do to halt what was already a falling customer base.

The industry needs to adapt and improve its pricing structure for those who use the bus infrequently.
I'd argue they were ignored, a victim of circumstance or even taken advantage of in the past. That can't continue going forward.

Andreos1
04 May 2020, 1:10 pm #74

(25 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm)BusLoverMum Well, in the next year or so, which is realistically how long we have before the end has any chance of being in sight, many people will be finding alternative transport for work, shopping, etc. 

Whilst operators could never have factored anything like the current situation in to their forecasts, it makes you wonder what they could do to halt what was already a falling customer base.

The industry needs to adapt and improve its pricing structure for those who use the bus infrequently.
I'd argue they were ignored, a victim of circumstance or even taken advantage of in the past. That can't continue going forward.

Andreos1

08 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm #75
http://www.movingforwardtogether.uk/late...-recovery/

The CPT are pushing for more investment of taxpayers money for a 'passenger led recovery'. 
If ever there was a contradiction in terms, it's that one. 

A passenger led recovery isn't passenger led, if it's funded by the taxpayer. 

An operator led recovery would be one I would be in favour of. 
Actual ownership and taking responsibility for operating the services they're supposed to and attracting passengers like they're supposed to. 
Or am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Andreos1
08 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm #75

http://www.movingforwardtogether.uk/late...-recovery/

The CPT are pushing for more investment of taxpayers money for a 'passenger led recovery'. 

Actual ownership and taking responsibility for operating the services they're supposed to and attracting passengers like they're supposed to. 

IRHardy

08 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm #76
(08 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 http://www.movingforwardtogether.uk/late...-recovery/

I think that the problem is that during the first COVID lockdown, the Government and the media did a really good job of stirring people into a frenzy, making them think that it is not safe to go outside and it is not safe to use public transport.

Therefore there are a lot of people who still feel scared about using public transport even though the messaging has changed.

These people will not return to using public transport no matter what the operators do, even if the operators offered free travel, so the government needs to get public transport out of the hole that the government created by its messaging (well actually, they need to sort out the whole country and the economy, but as this is a public transport forum, lets not go there).
IRHardy
08 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm #76

(08 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 http://www.movingforwardtogether.uk/late...-recovery/

I think that the problem is that during the first COVID lockdown, the Government and the media did a really good job of stirring people into a frenzy, making them think that it is not safe to go outside and it is not safe to use public transport.

Therefore there are a lot of people who still feel scared about using public transport even though the messaging has changed.

These people will not return to using public transport no matter what the operators do, even if the operators offered free travel, so the government needs to get public transport out of the hole that the government created by its messaging (well actually, they need to sort out the whole country and the economy, but as this is a public transport forum, lets not go there).

Andreos1

08 Dec 2020, 10:13 pm #77
(08 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm)IRHardy I think that the problem is that during the first COVID lockdown, the Government and the media did a really good job of stirring people into a frenzy, making them think that it is not safe to go outside and it is not safe to use public transport.

Whatever ambitions of grandeur they have or however big their begging bowl is, the fact is the numbers have been dropping for the last 34 years.
This year was just a little bit more spectacular than previous for obvious reasons. 

Whilst I agree that numbers have been low across 2020 for a reason, I do think operators need to take some responsibility for their marketing and pricing, taking ownership of an issue which has affected many industries and organisations across the country. Why should the multi-million pound bus industry be the one to get all these bailouts, funding and grants? 

I don't think the lines about the environment, regeneration and being key to the economy recovering is nothing more than patter to be honest. There is no way all of those things are a priority. The shareholders are. 

These operators are private companies who try to make money for their shareholders. They want to be de-regulated, running things their own way - but want local and national governments to help them along the way, by chucking a few quid their way. 
It stinks of hypocrisy imo and this is just another example of that hypocrisy. 

There was discussion elsewhere in the forum about the 21 and X20 being stuck in retail park traffic and obviously we've seen many examples over the years of the 93/94 being stuck in associated shopping traffic. 
I won't go in to the ins and outs of what was said, but if the operators aren't offering a viable alternative to the car, then those people in the car won't make the switch.
Operators improving the network and sending buses through the same areas the cars are coming from will encourage punters to switch their mode of transport.
If for example it's found the residents of Lanchester prefer Sainsburys at the Arnison to Tesco at Delves and the switch to public transport is an option - then that's on the operator to fund and ensure commercial viability. 
Ditto those in Lobley Hill who prefer a mooch around Retail World (contributing to the delays with  93/94) on a Saturday as opposed to Gateshead High Street. 

It's not local or national governments job to fund a service, kick-start a route or offer attractive pricing.

Andreos1
08 Dec 2020, 10:13 pm #77

(08 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm)IRHardy I think that the problem is that during the first COVID lockdown, the Government and the media did a really good job of stirring people into a frenzy, making them think that it is not safe to go outside and it is not safe to use public transport.

Whatever ambitions of grandeur they have or however big their begging bowl is, the fact is the numbers have been dropping for the last 34 years.
This year was just a little bit more spectacular than previous for obvious reasons. 

Whilst I agree that numbers have been low across 2020 for a reason, I do think operators need to take some responsibility for their marketing and pricing, taking ownership of an issue which has affected many industries and organisations across the country. Why should the multi-million pound bus industry be the one to get all these bailouts, funding and grants? 

I don't think the lines about the environment, regeneration and being key to the economy recovering is nothing more than patter to be honest. There is no way all of those things are a priority. The shareholders are. 

These operators are private companies who try to make money for their shareholders. They want to be de-regulated, running things their own way - but want local and national governments to help them along the way, by chucking a few quid their way. 
It stinks of hypocrisy imo and this is just another example of that hypocrisy. 

There was discussion elsewhere in the forum about the 21 and X20 being stuck in retail park traffic and obviously we've seen many examples over the years of the 93/94 being stuck in associated shopping traffic. 
I won't go in to the ins and outs of what was said, but if the operators aren't offering a viable alternative to the car, then those people in the car won't make the switch.
Operators improving the network and sending buses through the same areas the cars are coming from will encourage punters to switch their mode of transport.
If for example it's found the residents of Lanchester prefer Sainsburys at the Arnison to Tesco at Delves and the switch to public transport is an option - then that's on the operator to fund and ensure commercial viability. 
Ditto those in Lobley Hill who prefer a mooch around Retail World (contributing to the delays with  93/94) on a Saturday as opposed to Gateshead High Street. 

It's not local or national governments job to fund a service, kick-start a route or offer attractive pricing.

tvd

09 Dec 2020, 1:03 pm #78
Boris has plans to ban the sale of new petrol cars within 10 years, as part of his green agenda, and force motorists to buy electric vehicles.

I'm guessing these plans will be quietly forgotten as people realise all the costs and problems associated with this, but if we assume it does happen, it will need levels of public transport investment and subsidies on a level never seen before, as millions of motorists will be unable to afford cars.

Outside of the biggest cities, we'll need massive spending on more bus routes and services, demand responsive transport and so on, if people are going to be able to commute to and from work.

Like I said, Im sure the plans wont happen due to the logistics and costs nightmare, but interesting to think how much extra public transport would be needed for such an event .
tvd
09 Dec 2020, 1:03 pm #78

Boris has plans to ban the sale of new petrol cars within 10 years, as part of his green agenda, and force motorists to buy electric vehicles.

I'm guessing these plans will be quietly forgotten as people realise all the costs and problems associated with this, but if we assume it does happen, it will need levels of public transport investment and subsidies on a level never seen before, as millions of motorists will be unable to afford cars.

Outside of the biggest cities, we'll need massive spending on more bus routes and services, demand responsive transport and so on, if people are going to be able to commute to and from work.

Like I said, Im sure the plans wont happen due to the logistics and costs nightmare, but interesting to think how much extra public transport would be needed for such an event .

Andreos1

09 Dec 2020, 2:11 pm #79
(09 Dec 2020, 1:03 pm)tvd Boris has plans to ban the sale of new petrol cars within 10 years, as part of his green agenda, and force motorists to buy electric vehicles.

Would extra public transport be needed on such a bigger scale? Or could the resource be used in a more efficient and effective manner, so that demand and flows are met?

Andreos1
09 Dec 2020, 2:11 pm #79

(09 Dec 2020, 1:03 pm)tvd Boris has plans to ban the sale of new petrol cars within 10 years, as part of his green agenda, and force motorists to buy electric vehicles.

Would extra public transport be needed on such a bigger scale? Or could the resource be used in a more efficient and effective manner, so that demand and flows are met?

tvd

09 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm #80
Some of the negatives of bus travel even now are that the bus doesn’t go to where people want to go, they’re too infrequent, don’t run on an evening or on a Sunday, have to change buses.. and so on.

If it ever came to be that millions of people couldn’t afford cars, without huge and expensive changes, many people wouldn’t be able to travel to work, particularly in lower paid jobs.

In those circumstances it would be virtually impossible to connect all local towns and villages in any local area with a realistically good enough bus service.

For most parts of the country I would guess a comprehensive local demand responsive transport network would have to be in place, like a bigger and better version of our Tees Flex.
tvd
09 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm #80

Some of the negatives of bus travel even now are that the bus doesn’t go to where people want to go, they’re too infrequent, don’t run on an evening or on a Sunday, have to change buses.. and so on.

If it ever came to be that millions of people couldn’t afford cars, without huge and expensive changes, many people wouldn’t be able to travel to work, particularly in lower paid jobs.

In those circumstances it would be virtually impossible to connect all local towns and villages in any local area with a realistically good enough bus service.

For most parts of the country I would guess a comprehensive local demand responsive transport network would have to be in place, like a bigger and better version of our Tees Flex.

Pages (29): Previous 13 4 529 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average