Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (29) Previous 119 20 2129 Next
Unber43

11 Oct 2022, 7:42 pm #381
(11 Oct 2022, 7:38 pm)streetdeckfan You're right, there is no point in having 3 different major operators. Because they've all colluded to carve out their own monopolies in different areas, which is against the spirit of competition. And when one does decide it wants to compete in an area, a shitshow ensues! I'm honestly surprised Arriva has done nothing about the 21 and X21 extensions yet!

As for TikTok, it's an absolute crock of shite, and the sooner that fad disappears the better!
Arriva don't care, i pretty sure thats clear DB wants to get rid of them. 

TikTok, might be crap, however its a great piece for companies advertising. 

Also another thing if they were going to work together when im on GNE I have different expectations to SC/Arriva, with GNE i expect USB's/Wifi where it is allocated, most of SC buses don't even have Wifi since the pandemic.
Unber43
11 Oct 2022, 7:42 pm #381

(11 Oct 2022, 7:38 pm)streetdeckfan You're right, there is no point in having 3 different major operators. Because they've all colluded to carve out their own monopolies in different areas, which is against the spirit of competition. And when one does decide it wants to compete in an area, a shitshow ensues! I'm honestly surprised Arriva has done nothing about the 21 and X21 extensions yet!

As for TikTok, it's an absolute crock of shite, and the sooner that fad disappears the better!
Arriva don't care, i pretty sure thats clear DB wants to get rid of them. 

TikTok, might be crap, however its a great piece for companies advertising. 

Also another thing if they were going to work together when im on GNE I have different expectations to SC/Arriva, with GNE i expect USB's/Wifi where it is allocated, most of SC buses don't even have Wifi since the pandemic.

11 Oct 2022, 9:26 pm #382
(11 Oct 2022, 7:33 pm)Unber43 If you're going to have a multi-operator ticket, whats the point of having 3 different major bus companies.

Its the same thing I rant about when GCT/JH Coaches win a contract it just puts people off, as if you're going to the Metrocentre, or Newcastle you need to buy another ticket, which is why services in Arriva territory/GNE territory/SC Territory which are contracted should be given to them. It would atleast give them a chance if the operator advertises services

I don't see why GNE/SCNE/Arriva don't use TikTok, they can just create a page and advertise services whether thats for SCNE X24, Arrivas 22/23/24 Connections, GNE X21/20/21/X45 etc
There's no region-specific advertising on TikTok. Other social media apps like Instagram can use your phone's location to show region-targeted marketing. Partially why you see GNE/Metro ads on TV and Instagram, but not TikTok, as they'd be pointless to be advertising their services to someone who lives outside the North East.

Arriva, being a more national company have started doing some 'general' TikTok ads ... about how to catch a bus. In Liverpool!
Adtrainsam
11 Oct 2022, 9:26 pm #382

(11 Oct 2022, 7:33 pm)Unber43 If you're going to have a multi-operator ticket, whats the point of having 3 different major bus companies.

Its the same thing I rant about when GCT/JH Coaches win a contract it just puts people off, as if you're going to the Metrocentre, or Newcastle you need to buy another ticket, which is why services in Arriva territory/GNE territory/SC Territory which are contracted should be given to them. It would atleast give them a chance if the operator advertises services

I don't see why GNE/SCNE/Arriva don't use TikTok, they can just create a page and advertise services whether thats for SCNE X24, Arrivas 22/23/24 Connections, GNE X21/20/21/X45 etc
There's no region-specific advertising on TikTok. Other social media apps like Instagram can use your phone's location to show region-targeted marketing. Partially why you see GNE/Metro ads on TV and Instagram, but not TikTok, as they'd be pointless to be advertising their services to someone who lives outside the North East.

Arriva, being a more national company have started doing some 'general' TikTok ads ... about how to catch a bus. In Liverpool!

BusLoverMum

11 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm #383
What's the point of 8 major supermarkets and lots of other little ones when they all sell baked beans, bread and milk?
BusLoverMum
11 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm #383

What's the point of 8 major supermarkets and lots of other little ones when they all sell baked beans, bread and milk?

11 Oct 2022, 11:07 pm #384
(11 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm)BusLoverMum What's the point of 8 major supermarkets and lots of other little ones when they all sell baked beans, bread and milk?
Imagine if the 8 major supermarkets agreed not to open stores in each others territory, so if you lived in Gateshead you had no choice but to shop at Asda, or if you lived in Durham you had to shop at Sainsbury's.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
11 Oct 2022, 11:07 pm #384

(11 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm)BusLoverMum What's the point of 8 major supermarkets and lots of other little ones when they all sell baked beans, bread and milk?
Imagine if the 8 major supermarkets agreed not to open stores in each others territory, so if you lived in Gateshead you had no choice but to shop at Asda, or if you lived in Durham you had to shop at Sainsbury's.

Rob44

12 Oct 2022, 7:18 am #385
(11 Oct 2022, 11:07 pm)streetdeckfan Imagine if the 8 major supermarkets agreed not to open stores in each others territory, so if you lived in Gateshead you had no choice but to shop at Asda, or if you lived in Durham you had to shop at Sainsbury's.

exactly this.

How many times has a NIS bus drove past your bus stop?  Or entered eldon sq or DCC bus station and pulled out NIS.  Wouldnt do this if they had competition on the route who would pick up your ££££
Rob44
12 Oct 2022, 7:18 am #385

(11 Oct 2022, 11:07 pm)streetdeckfan Imagine if the 8 major supermarkets agreed not to open stores in each others territory, so if you lived in Gateshead you had no choice but to shop at Asda, or if you lived in Durham you had to shop at Sainsbury's.

exactly this.

How many times has a NIS bus drove past your bus stop?  Or entered eldon sq or DCC bus station and pulled out NIS.  Wouldnt do this if they had competition on the route who would pick up your ££££

Storx

12 Oct 2022, 7:21 am #386

Catch 22 is there's not enough money to go around for competition so if you had multiple companies doing one route then other marginal services will suffer which are currently propped up by them.

You just have to look at North Tyneside where there's 15 buses an hour or whatever it is now on the Coast Road. Go off the Coast Road and it's a skeleton service at best. It's the same down in Birtley aswell.

Pricing and lack of interworking tickets is the biggest issue in the North East. Eradicate that issue then who operates the buses is just irrelevant.
Storx
12 Oct 2022, 7:21 am #386

Catch 22 is there's not enough money to go around for competition so if you had multiple companies doing one route then other marginal services will suffer which are currently propped up by them.

You just have to look at North Tyneside where there's 15 buses an hour or whatever it is now on the Coast Road. Go off the Coast Road and it's a skeleton service at best. It's the same down in Birtley aswell.

Pricing and lack of interworking tickets is the biggest issue in the North East. Eradicate that issue then who operates the buses is just irrelevant.

12 Oct 2022, 7:29 am #387
(12 Oct 2022, 7:18 am)Rob44 exactly this.

Funnily enough, GNE seem fairly happy to let passengers from West Auckland and the south end of Bishop get the Arriva 6 with the amount of times they curtail it at Bishop.

And, to be honest I'd have absolutely no problem with that, if I could use my GNE ticket on the Arriva 6. But I can't. 

I have to fork out an extra £1.40 to get the 6 or X1 into Bishop to then catch the X21 from there.

Even bringing back the deal they had during COVID would be a good step in the right direction, there's little reason to not allow it if the passenger already has a day or weekly ticket since I probably wouldn't pay for the extra ticket anyway!
streetdeckfan
12 Oct 2022, 7:29 am #387

Funnily enough, GNE seem fairly happy to let passengers from West Auckland and the south end of Bishop get the Arriva 6 with the amount of times they curtail it at Bishop.

And, to be honest I'd have absolutely no problem with that, if I could use my GNE ticket on the Arriva 6. But I can't. 

I have to fork out an extra £1.40 to get the 6 or X1 into Bishop to then catch the X21 from there.

Even bringing back the deal they had during COVID would be a good step in the right direction, there's little reason to not allow it if the passenger already has a day or weekly ticket since I probably wouldn't pay for the extra ticket anyway!

Ambassador

12 Oct 2022, 10:13 am #388
We're essentially talking a North East oyster (which seems beyond the capability of nexus) or franchising to solve it.

The latter seems more likely though with the current economic climate I can't see the govt rushing to hand out too many more subsidies for metro mayor areas

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
12 Oct 2022, 10:13 am #388

We're essentially talking a North East oyster (which seems beyond the capability of nexus) or franchising to solve it.

The latter seems more likely though with the current economic climate I can't see the govt rushing to hand out too many more subsidies for metro mayor areas

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

F114TML

12 Oct 2022, 10:20 am #389
(12 Oct 2022, 10:13 am)Ambassador We're essentially talking a North East oyster (which seems beyond the capability of nexus) or franchising to solve it.

Surely all we need for that is tap-on-tap-off facilities on buses that use the POP card? (Can you use the pop card in that fashion on the buses that do have that facility?)
F114TML
12 Oct 2022, 10:20 am #389

(12 Oct 2022, 10:13 am)Ambassador We're essentially talking a North East oyster (which seems beyond the capability of nexus) or franchising to solve it.

Surely all we need for that is tap-on-tap-off facilities on buses that use the POP card? (Can you use the pop card in that fashion on the buses that do have that facility?)

12 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm #390

Aye I'm sure if GNE had more competition they'd start ignoring driver's hours left right and centre. Makes sense.
deanmachine
12 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm #390

Aye I'm sure if GNE had more competition they'd start ignoring driver's hours left right and centre. Makes sense.

BusLoverMum

12 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm #391
(12 Oct 2022, 7:21 am)Storx Catch 22 is there's not enough money to go around for competition so if you had multiple companies doing one route then other marginal services will suffer which are currently propped up by them.

Quite. If Tesco Extra and the big Sainsbury's had stores next to each other in Durham, neither would do quite as well as they currently do at Dragonville and Arnison, respectively. (aldi and lidl are a different matter, tit for tat opening stores next to each other!)
BusLoverMum
12 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm #391

(12 Oct 2022, 7:21 am)Storx Catch 22 is there's not enough money to go around for competition so if you had multiple companies doing one route then other marginal services will suffer which are currently propped up by them.

Quite. If Tesco Extra and the big Sainsbury's had stores next to each other in Durham, neither would do quite as well as they currently do at Dragonville and Arnison, respectively. (aldi and lidl are a different matter, tit for tat opening stores next to each other!)

15 Oct 2022, 6:52 pm #392
Is there a recommended distance streets and houses should be from a bus stop?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
15 Oct 2022, 6:52 pm #392

Is there a recommended distance streets and houses should be from a bus stop?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

F114TML

15 Oct 2022, 7:28 pm #393
Maximum 400m I believe.
F114TML
15 Oct 2022, 7:28 pm #393

Maximum 400m I believe.

nova347

07 Nov 2022, 8:48 am #394
One thing I will say over the past month or two every 60 I've got on has been really busy so it doesn't help they're every 15 minutes. Like these days its rare to get on a 60 with more than 3/4 rows of seats free.
nova347
07 Nov 2022, 8:48 am #394

One thing I will say over the past month or two every 60 I've got on has been really busy so it doesn't help they're every 15 minutes. Like these days its rare to get on a 60 with more than 3/4 rows of seats free.

Bazza

07 Nov 2022, 1:23 pm #395
(07 Nov 2022, 8:48 am)nova347 One thing I will say over the past month or two every 60 I've got on has been really busy so it doesn't help they're every 15 minutes. Like these days its rare to get on a 60 with more than 3/4 rows of seats free.

But there are seats available?   It is really only a problem if buses are driving passed full.
Bazza
07 Nov 2022, 1:23 pm #395

(07 Nov 2022, 8:48 am)nova347 One thing I will say over the past month or two every 60 I've got on has been really busy so it doesn't help they're every 15 minutes. Like these days its rare to get on a 60 with more than 3/4 rows of seats free.

But there are seats available?   It is really only a problem if buses are driving passed full.

Unber43

07 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm #396
My opinion of reducing frequency is that it pushes peoples away e.g X45 Thats been reduced from every 15 mins to every 30 mins in a few months, thats double the wait for most people who use the service, aswell as the hourly service to consett on an evening and the last one 20:00.

As long as routes 20/60/X45/47 make money keep the frequency. Every 30 mins to consett was a nice frequency to have with the 47, but now a lot of the journeys start and finish at Blackhall Mill.

Keep the frequency the more likely they are to use it. The X45/30/31 are suffering awful delays at the moment, after a frequency cut has just hurt anyone who uses the service, there must be 3-4 X45/30/31 cancelled due to delayed operation.

Keep it at its post covid frequency but before the cuts for driver shortage imo.
Unber43
07 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm #396

My opinion of reducing frequency is that it pushes peoples away e.g X45 Thats been reduced from every 15 mins to every 30 mins in a few months, thats double the wait for most people who use the service, aswell as the hourly service to consett on an evening and the last one 20:00.

As long as routes 20/60/X45/47 make money keep the frequency. Every 30 mins to consett was a nice frequency to have with the 47, but now a lot of the journeys start and finish at Blackhall Mill.

Keep the frequency the more likely they are to use it. The X45/30/31 are suffering awful delays at the moment, after a frequency cut has just hurt anyone who uses the service, there must be 3-4 X45/30/31 cancelled due to delayed operation.

Keep it at its post covid frequency but before the cuts for driver shortage imo.

Bazza

07 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm #397
(07 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm)Unber43 My opinion of reducing frequency is that it pushes peoples away e.g X45 Thats been reduced from every 15 mins to every 30 mins in a few months, thats double the wait for most people who use the service, aswell as the hourly service to consett on an evening and the last one 20:00.

Unless you have inside knowledge you won’t know at what frequency a profitable route becomes unprofitable
Bazza
07 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm #397

(07 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm)Unber43 My opinion of reducing frequency is that it pushes peoples away e.g X45 Thats been reduced from every 15 mins to every 30 mins in a few months, thats double the wait for most people who use the service, aswell as the hourly service to consett on an evening and the last one 20:00.

Unless you have inside knowledge you won’t know at what frequency a profitable route becomes unprofitable

Unber43

08 Nov 2022, 6:29 am #398
(07 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm)Bazza Unless you have inside knowledge you won’t know at what frequency a profitable route becomes unprofitable
Why didn't they do it in July then! 

20 wouldn't be losing money by adding 1 PVR, neither would the 21.
Unber43
08 Nov 2022, 6:29 am #398

(07 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm)Bazza Unless you have inside knowledge you won’t know at what frequency a profitable route becomes unprofitable
Why didn't they do it in July then! 

Bazza

08 Nov 2022, 8:33 am #399
(08 Nov 2022, 6:29 am)Unber43 Why didn't they do it in July then! 

You’re still just guessing
Bazza
08 Nov 2022, 8:33 am #399

(08 Nov 2022, 6:29 am)Unber43 Why didn't they do it in July then! 

You’re still just guessing

Unber43

15 Nov 2022, 8:25 pm #400
When I was out on Friday I saw that there was several new housing estates being built one at Blackhall Mill, one near Newcastle Business Park (on 12 route), and I just wondered those routes are in GNE territory very minor changes would have to be made to incorporate these into the network, has GNE done any leaflet drops or anything or any surveys to ask where they want to go
Unber43
15 Nov 2022, 8:25 pm #400

When I was out on Friday I saw that there was several new housing estates being built one at Blackhall Mill, one near Newcastle Business Park (on 12 route), and I just wondered those routes are in GNE territory very minor changes would have to be made to incorporate these into the network, has GNE done any leaflet drops or anything or any surveys to ask where they want to go

Pages (29) Previous 119 20 2129 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average