Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat 2018: Your Positives and Negatives

2018: Your Positives and Negatives

2018: Your Positives and Negatives

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

29 Dec 2018, 8:57 pm #1
Bit of a random thread, but as 2018 draws to a close, I thought it'd be worth reflecting - what are your positives and negatives from this year, as far as the bus world (or other forms of public  transport!) goes?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Dec 2018, 8:57 pm #1

Bit of a random thread, but as 2018 draws to a close, I thought it'd be worth reflecting - what are your positives and negatives from this year, as far as the bus world (or other forms of public  transport!) goes?

Jimmi

29 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm #2
Positives:
Northern service on the Bishop line being increased to a hourly service, 7 days a week

Negatives:
Northern trains being on strike every Saturday since about the end of August with no end in sight

Whilst I don't hate Streetlite's as much as some people seem to do, they ain't the most comfortable and interesting buses to be subjected to on a regular basis and I do miss the Pulsars on the 5/5A

I've found this last year a bit dull as far as the hobby goes and not even worth bothering with at times
Jimmi
29 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm #2

Positives:
Northern service on the Bishop line being increased to a hourly service, 7 days a week

Negatives:
Northern trains being on strike every Saturday since about the end of August with no end in sight

Whilst I don't hate Streetlite's as much as some people seem to do, they ain't the most comfortable and interesting buses to be subjected to on a regular basis and I do miss the Pulsars on the 5/5A

I've found this last year a bit dull as far as the hobby goes and not even worth bothering with at times

Adrian

29 Dec 2018, 10:17 pm #3
(29 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm)Jimmi Positives:

Negatives:

Interesting. I've too found this to be an extremely dull year, and I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been out for photographs. There's been other times that I've been out, and I've just not bothered to get any photographs... I just don't find anything at the moment massively interesting, and I've no desire to photograph tens of Streetlites.

Positives: I think the Angel upgrade has been a positive. Whilst I'm probably one of the rare B5LH fans, I do think they were starting to show signs of ageing on the 21, so it was good to see a new fleet of Streetdecks starting to arrive at the back end of last year. You'll always get the usual sheep using the 'Streetwreck' label or whatever, but I find them to be a good upgrade for what is largely a stop/start route.

A second positive was the trip down to Scarborough for the West Riding Group's 2018 BusFest. This was the second year I had been, and again, it didn't disappoint. I'd really recommend this running day to anybody that hasn't been, and its just a shame it doesn't seem to get more support from the North East - the 500 group are ever present of course! Smile

Negatives: I'm going to say; the lack of anything radical! Whilst it has been an extremely dull year for an enthusiast, it has also been an extremely dull year as far as our three principle operators go. I appreciate that GNE have had their attention focused on the acquisition of EYMS, but Stagecoach don't seem to have done much, despite a relatively new MD, and the most Arriva have managed is to piss their workforce off.

Adrian
29 Dec 2018, 10:17 pm #3

(29 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm)Jimmi Positives:

Negatives:

Interesting. I've too found this to be an extremely dull year, and I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been out for photographs. There's been other times that I've been out, and I've just not bothered to get any photographs... I just don't find anything at the moment massively interesting, and I've no desire to photograph tens of Streetlites.

Positives: I think the Angel upgrade has been a positive. Whilst I'm probably one of the rare B5LH fans, I do think they were starting to show signs of ageing on the 21, so it was good to see a new fleet of Streetdecks starting to arrive at the back end of last year. You'll always get the usual sheep using the 'Streetwreck' label or whatever, but I find them to be a good upgrade for what is largely a stop/start route.

A second positive was the trip down to Scarborough for the West Riding Group's 2018 BusFest. This was the second year I had been, and again, it didn't disappoint. I'd really recommend this running day to anybody that hasn't been, and its just a shame it doesn't seem to get more support from the North East - the 500 group are ever present of course! Smile

Negatives: I'm going to say; the lack of anything radical! Whilst it has been an extremely dull year for an enthusiast, it has also been an extremely dull year as far as our three principle operators go. I appreciate that GNE have had their attention focused on the acquisition of EYMS, but Stagecoach don't seem to have done much, despite a relatively new MD, and the most Arriva have managed is to piss their workforce off.

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 Dec 2018, 10:44 pm #4
I've had a bit of an all rounder.
Started off good, was learning more about photography and getting myself stuck in, then it became stale and my former job made me insane. Had no motivation.

Have since turned myself from an enthusiast to a passionate team member of a job I love, 'driving' myself to a hopefully long and prosperous career, if you do pardon the pun
Jamie M
30 Dec 2018, 10:44 pm #4

I've had a bit of an all rounder.
Started off good, was learning more about photography and getting myself stuck in, then it became stale and my former job made me insane. Had no motivation.

Have since turned myself from an enthusiast to a passionate team member of a job I love, 'driving' myself to a hopefully long and prosperous career, if you do pardon the pun

S813 FVK

31 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm #5
Hadn't really thought about the last year until this thread popped up. Definitely interested to look back, even if I can come to the overall conclusion that it was pretty boring. I've tried to cut it down a bit, so you aren't reading what may as well be a published biography you'd find in your local bookshops.

Passing my driving test back in April was a positive I guess, despite taking much longer than I would have liked. I haven't actually driven a car since that day but that is purely because I don't see the point in paying for the insurance for something I don't actually need yet.

Finally left school back in June too which I personally saw as a positive. A-level results were just below what I had said I would have liked so I did beat myself up a little bit, but I did best in the subject that I cared about most which, after the goings-on from January to July in the first year, didn't seem possible.

The extended summer also meant that I was able to take advantage of my bus pass being valid until the end of July, so took advantage of it and had a few days out on my own which was actually really nice. Far better than just being stuck in the house all day which from then until now has been the case.

The only negative point that is worth mentioning here is that, 6 months after departing the education system, I still haven't got myself into anything permanent. I can easily turn it into a positive in the sense that I am able to carry out some of the regular tasks around the house, but that isn't a strong cure for the boredom of just been stuck in a house all day. I suppose it makes for an easy New Years Resolution, and one that I should actually be able to stick to for once in my life!  Big Grin

As a point relating to this forum, I've noticed that I've been contributing a lot less this past year, mainly reporting rare & odd workings that I've seen out and about. I don't particularly know why that is, but is a trend that I can only see continuing.
Edited 31 Dec 2018, 7:33 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
31 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm #5

Hadn't really thought about the last year until this thread popped up. Definitely interested to look back, even if I can come to the overall conclusion that it was pretty boring. I've tried to cut it down a bit, so you aren't reading what may as well be a published biography you'd find in your local bookshops.

Passing my driving test back in April was a positive I guess, despite taking much longer than I would have liked. I haven't actually driven a car since that day but that is purely because I don't see the point in paying for the insurance for something I don't actually need yet.

Finally left school back in June too which I personally saw as a positive. A-level results were just below what I had said I would have liked so I did beat myself up a little bit, but I did best in the subject that I cared about most which, after the goings-on from January to July in the first year, didn't seem possible.

The extended summer also meant that I was able to take advantage of my bus pass being valid until the end of July, so took advantage of it and had a few days out on my own which was actually really nice. Far better than just being stuck in the house all day which from then until now has been the case.

The only negative point that is worth mentioning here is that, 6 months after departing the education system, I still haven't got myself into anything permanent. I can easily turn it into a positive in the sense that I am able to carry out some of the regular tasks around the house, but that isn't a strong cure for the boredom of just been stuck in a house all day. I suppose it makes for an easy New Years Resolution, and one that I should actually be able to stick to for once in my life!  Big Grin

As a point relating to this forum, I've noticed that I've been contributing a lot less this past year, mainly reporting rare & odd workings that I've seen out and about. I don't particularly know why that is, but is a trend that I can only see continuing.

BusLoverMum

03 Jan 2019, 12:34 am #6
Positive: having moved out of arrivaland.

Reminded of that, this morning. Walked to the arnison centre with the boys. Unfortunately forgot to put notsolittleanymoreun's pass in my bag.

Ticket machine convinced it was at brasside when we caught the bus home. Would have cost me a lot extra if I hadn't, from experience, already suspected what the problem would be and pointed it out to the driver. It wasn't even as if the route was wrong as the ticket displayed that it was the 64, which doesn't even go to brasside!

(31 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm)S813 FVK Hadn't really thought about the last year until this thread popped up. Definitely interested to look back, even if I can come to the overall conclusion that it was pretty boring. I've tried to cut it down a bit, so you aren't reading what may as well be a published biography you'd find in your local bookshops.

MYbe not next year, but you may find you can access a uni course as a mature student, even if it doesn't feel right, now.

(31 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm)S813 FVK Hadn't really thought about the last year until this thread popped up. Definitely interested to look back, even if I can come to the overall conclusion that it was pretty boring. I've tried to cut it down a bit, so you aren't reading what may as well be a published biography you'd find in your local bookshops.

As an aside, try to volunteer, even if it's a charity shop. There's always brownie points for initiative.
Edited 03 Jan 2019, 12:40 am by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
03 Jan 2019, 12:34 am #6

Positive: having moved out of arrivaland.

Reminded of that, this morning. Walked to the arnison centre with the boys. Unfortunately forgot to put notsolittleanymoreun's pass in my bag.

Ticket machine convinced it was at brasside when we caught the bus home. Would have cost me a lot extra if I hadn't, from experience, already suspected what the problem would be and pointed it out to the driver. It wasn't even as if the route was wrong as the ticket displayed that it was the 64, which doesn't even go to brasside!

MYbe not next year, but you may find you can access a uni course as a mature student, even if it doesn't feel right, now.

As an aside, try to volunteer, even if it's a charity shop. There's always brownie points for initiative.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average