Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure vehicle capacity

vehicle capacity

vehicle capacity

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

kullboys

Unregistered

25 Feb 2019, 4:43 am #1
Are passenger capacity numbers tested when vehicles are built etc. Noticed on GNE solo sr 626 yesterday that the standees were 21. Wouldn't want to be either sitting or standing with that amount on. I know other vehicles have large standee numbers also but how is it decided the amount permitted?
Thanks.
kullboys
25 Feb 2019, 4:43 am #1

Are passenger capacity numbers tested when vehicles are built etc. Noticed on GNE solo sr 626 yesterday that the standees were 21. Wouldn't want to be either sitting or standing with that amount on. I know other vehicles have large standee numbers also but how is it decided the amount permitted?
Thanks.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #2
(25 Feb 2019, 4:43 am)kullboys Are passenger capacity numbers tested when vehicles are built etc. Noticed on GNE solo sr 626 yesterday that the standees were 21. Wouldn't want to be either sitting or standing with that amount on. I know other vehicles have large standee numbers also but how is it decided the amount permitted?
Thanks.
Yes, all done by the manufacturers in build.

It's based on a number of factors I believe - not just the physical space but also the axle weight.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #2

(25 Feb 2019, 4:43 am)kullboys Are passenger capacity numbers tested when vehicles are built etc. Noticed on GNE solo sr 626 yesterday that the standees were 21. Wouldn't want to be either sitting or standing with that amount on. I know other vehicles have large standee numbers also but how is it decided the amount permitted?
Thanks.

It's based on a number of factors I believe - not just the physical space but also the axle weight.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #3
Thanks.

Dan
25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #3

Thanks.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #4
Thanks.

Dan
25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #4

Thanks.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #5
Thanks.

Dan
25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am #5

Thanks.

busmanT

25 Feb 2019, 11:30 pm #6
(25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am)Dan Yes, all done by the manufacturers in build.

Dependent on the vehicle type, there are a whole range of factors - One is the space (in square metres) allowed per standing passenger that determines how many standing are allowed.
For vehicles such as the Optare Solo it is governed by the following regulations regarding the vehicle approval process (it’s a very long document, 52C deals with the calculation of standing passengers, but the bus has to meet all the regulations to be certified for use).
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...oaches.pdf
busmanT
25 Feb 2019, 11:30 pm #6

(25 Feb 2019, 5:38 am)Dan Yes, all done by the manufacturers in build.

Dependent on the vehicle type, there are a whole range of factors - One is the space (in square metres) allowed per standing passenger that determines how many standing are allowed.
For vehicles such as the Optare Solo it is governed by the following regulations regarding the vehicle approval process (it’s a very long document, 52C deals with the calculation of standing passengers, but the bus has to meet all the regulations to be certified for use).
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...oaches.pdf

xpm

26 Feb 2019, 8:19 pm #7
In theory it's what's techically possible.

In practice on a Solo, I've never got near the stated capacity even on a busy school run, and I never have anyone standing any point forward of the rearmost portion of the entrance doors.  Trying to get one up a hill even with that many on is a struggle.
xpm
26 Feb 2019, 8:19 pm #7

In theory it's what's techically possible.

In practice on a Solo, I've never got near the stated capacity even on a busy school run, and I never have anyone standing any point forward of the rearmost portion of the entrance doors.  Trying to get one up a hill even with that many on is a struggle.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average