Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Favourite rolling stock

Favourite rolling stock

Favourite rolling stock

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Andreos1

19 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm #1
There's been all sorts of discussion over the years about favourite buses, but I can't recall anything similar about trains. 

So I thought I'd start a thread! 

Travelled on all sorts over the years, across the UK and Europe. 
Not sure why, but the mainstays of the ECML for the last 30/40 years are up there. 
The noise, the ride, the speed of the 43's and 91's and Mk3/Mk4 coaches mean they're both a favourite. 

The recent reallocation of 158's to the region, reminded me of my fondness for them. 
I rode the 159's a few years back for the first time when working down south - new metals and a new variety of stock was a winner as far as I was concerned. 
I've often viewed the 158's as like an uprated Cxxx OCN Metrobus and the 156 as one of the earlier Axxx BCN versions. 
Not always a fan of multiple units, but the 158's seem to have something about them. 

No idea what the Dutch call their double decker trains or what they have pulling them, but I do like them.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Apr 2020, 2:00 pm #1

There's been all sorts of discussion over the years about favourite buses, but I can't recall anything similar about trains. 

So I thought I'd start a thread! 

Travelled on all sorts over the years, across the UK and Europe. 
Not sure why, but the mainstays of the ECML for the last 30/40 years are up there. 
The noise, the ride, the speed of the 43's and 91's and Mk3/Mk4 coaches mean they're both a favourite. 

The recent reallocation of 158's to the region, reminded me of my fondness for them. 
I rode the 159's a few years back for the first time when working down south - new metals and a new variety of stock was a winner as far as I was concerned. 
I've often viewed the 158's as like an uprated Cxxx OCN Metrobus and the 156 as one of the earlier Axxx BCN versions. 
Not always a fan of multiple units, but the 158's seem to have something about them. 

No idea what the Dutch call their double decker trains or what they have pulling them, but I do like them.

citaro5284

19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm #2
I love the Hitachi 800 series on GWR and ECML.

Whilst some people do not like the seats, I think they are fine and the acceleration on them, I think is unbelievable for a train that length and weight when it is either on electric or diesel.
citaro5284
19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm #2

I love the Hitachi 800 series on GWR and ECML.

Whilst some people do not like the seats, I think they are fine and the acceleration on them, I think is unbelievable for a train that length and weight when it is either on electric or diesel.

Michael

19 Apr 2020, 4:50 pm #3
Intercity 125/225 for me

The Class 180's on Grand Central are decent to

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Apr 2020, 4:50 pm #3

Intercity 125/225 for me

The Class 180's on Grand Central are decent to

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

21 Apr 2020, 11:18 am #4
142s *daggers out* probably because until the end of last year they were the main allocation on the Bishop Line for as long as I can remember and I just found something about them.

Must say that I do love a good 158 although hopefully some more Northern examples are given a refurb as they look and feel pretty revolting internally now as seats are dropping to bits and interior looks dark and dingy.

HSTs and 91s were always lovely to travel along the ECML and shame they are starting to disappear although luckily CrossCountry still have some booked HST runs that I can catch.

I'm quite liking the new Hitachi 800s whilst the seats ain't fantastic but not too bad IMO I like the acceleration on them and in the case of the TPE ones the additional capacity compared to a 185.
Jimmi
21 Apr 2020, 11:18 am #4

142s *daggers out* probably because until the end of last year they were the main allocation on the Bishop Line for as long as I can remember and I just found something about them.

Must say that I do love a good 158 although hopefully some more Northern examples are given a refurb as they look and feel pretty revolting internally now as seats are dropping to bits and interior looks dark and dingy.

HSTs and 91s were always lovely to travel along the ECML and shame they are starting to disappear although luckily CrossCountry still have some booked HST runs that I can catch.

I'm quite liking the new Hitachi 800s whilst the seats ain't fantastic but not too bad IMO I like the acceleration on them and in the case of the TPE ones the additional capacity compared to a 185.

21 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm #5
(21 Apr 2020, 11:18 am)Jimmi 142s *daggers out* probably because until the end of last year they were the main allocation on the Bishop Line for as long as I can remember and I just found something about them.

I think all the Pacer hate has just become a meme at this point, they honestly aren't /that/ bad. The issue is more with consistency than anything, some are 'nice', some really aren't!
They served their purpose, but now it really is time for them to go.
streetdeckfan
21 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm #5

(21 Apr 2020, 11:18 am)Jimmi 142s *daggers out* probably because until the end of last year they were the main allocation on the Bishop Line for as long as I can remember and I just found something about them.

I think all the Pacer hate has just become a meme at this point, they honestly aren't /that/ bad. The issue is more with consistency than anything, some are 'nice', some really aren't!
They served their purpose, but now it really is time for them to go.

James101

21 Apr 2020, 4:46 pm #6
Class 175 - good comfortable interior for a regional express unit with a good turn of speed.
James101
21 Apr 2020, 4:46 pm #6

Class 175 - good comfortable interior for a regional express unit with a good turn of speed.

Andreos1

21 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm #7
(19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm)citaro5284 I love the Hitachi 800 series on GWR and ECML.

Love the acceleration of them
 800's, but just can't get away with the seats.
Haven't done 1st class in them yet. The seats are better apparently. 

(21 Apr 2020, 4:46 pm)James101 Class 175 - good comfortable interior for a regional express unit with a good turn of speed.

One I've never done.
I do like the 168's that Chiltern have, but I think that's more to do with the interior set up than anything performance wise.

Andreos1
21 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm #7

(19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm)citaro5284 I love the Hitachi 800 series on GWR and ECML.

Love the acceleration of them
 800's, but just can't get away with the seats.
Haven't done 1st class in them yet. The seats are better apparently. 

(21 Apr 2020, 4:46 pm)James101 Class 175 - good comfortable interior for a regional express unit with a good turn of speed.

One I've never done.
I do like the 168's that Chiltern have, but I think that's more to do with the interior set up than anything performance wise.

01 May 2020, 10:30 am #8
For me, Mark 3s have too many door issues in carriages and often there is a strong, cold breeze. The 80x series are too plastic for me when I've had them on GWR. The Voyager series and the 180 just smell of toilet every time I've been on one - which is a lot. I prefer the 91+mk4 rake for long distance. Shorter distance I'm a big fan of the 158. EMU-wise I love the 379s of Greater Anglia.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

01 May 2020, 10:30 am #8

For me, Mark 3s have too many door issues in carriages and often there is a strong, cold breeze. The 80x series are too plastic for me when I've had them on GWR. The Voyager series and the 180 just smell of toilet every time I've been on one - which is a lot. I prefer the 91+mk4 rake for long distance. Shorter distance I'm a big fan of the 158. EMU-wise I love the 379s of Greater Anglia.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

Adrian

01 May 2020, 5:56 pm #9
Out of what I've travelled on, probably HSTs and the 91s on the ECML. Love the sound and sheer power of both of them, but also find the coaching stock to be spot on. Both pre and post-refurb.

I also quite like the 185s that TPE use. The only downside for me has been that they're unsuitable for the loads that they carry... if they were longer sets, they would have been ideal.

Out of the new stuff, I the way both the 80x IEPs accelerate and I don't find them too uncomfortable. Likewise, I like the way the 700s accelerate on the Thameslink. They are brilliant for the work they do down there, although they're not the most comfortable things in the world... you get quite numb doing one all the way to Brighton!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 May 2020, 5:56 pm #9

Out of what I've travelled on, probably HSTs and the 91s on the ECML. Love the sound and sheer power of both of them, but also find the coaching stock to be spot on. Both pre and post-refurb.

I also quite like the 185s that TPE use. The only downside for me has been that they're unsuitable for the loads that they carry... if they were longer sets, they would have been ideal.

Out of the new stuff, I the way both the 80x IEPs accelerate and I don't find them too uncomfortable. Likewise, I like the way the 700s accelerate on the Thameslink. They are brilliant for the work they do down there, although they're not the most comfortable things in the world... you get quite numb doing one all the way to Brighton!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

02 May 2020, 6:11 am #10
I agree with those of you who like Class 91 & Mark 4 trains, alas largely withdrawn now. These have been my favourite Inter City trains.

As regards EMUs, my favourites have been 317s and 350s. For DMUs I think I prefer 156s to 158s, but this might be because 158s have been disproportionately crowded on their routes. I prefer 185s to 170s and therefore hope they are all redeployed in the end.
MetrolineGA1511
02 May 2020, 6:11 am #10

I agree with those of you who like Class 91 & Mark 4 trains, alas largely withdrawn now. These have been my favourite Inter City trains.

As regards EMUs, my favourites have been 317s and 350s. For DMUs I think I prefer 156s to 158s, but this might be because 158s have been disproportionately crowded on their routes. I prefer 185s to 170s and therefore hope they are all redeployed in the end.

tyresmoke

03 May 2020, 4:29 pm #11
Have to admit to having a soft spot for the 185's from years of riding up and down the TPE route, I do miss the 158's but they were woefully inadequate for the TPE route. Mark 4 stock on the ECML have been wonderful and still look decent from a passenger point of view, not sure what they're like maintenance wise but the new 800's are a step up - and will eat up more passengers which is the aim of the game after all.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
03 May 2020, 4:29 pm #11

Have to admit to having a soft spot for the 185's from years of riding up and down the TPE route, I do miss the 158's but they were woefully inadequate for the TPE route. Mark 4 stock on the ECML have been wonderful and still look decent from a passenger point of view, not sure what they're like maintenance wise but the new 800's are a step up - and will eat up more passengers which is the aim of the game after all.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

03 May 2020, 11:07 pm #12
I’ve been the Class 91s and HSTs a lot and have never failed to get me to London and back, so definitely have a soft spot for them.
NewcastleOne
03 May 2020, 11:07 pm #12

I’ve been the Class 91s and HSTs a lot and have never failed to get me to London and back, so definitely have a soft spot for them.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average