Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2019

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (14) Previous 1 2 3 414 Next
Malarkey

06 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm #41
(06 Feb 2019, 11:48 am)Tom Q3 seems likely?

Citylink 57 and 58's could also be a possibility.
Malarkey
06 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm #41

(06 Feb 2019, 11:48 am)Tom Q3 seems likely?

Citylink 57 and 58's could also be a possibility.

Michael

06 Feb 2019, 1:34 pm #42
(06 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm)Malarkey Citylink 57 and 58's could also be a possibility.

PVR's for the Drifter, Saltwell Park and the Loop are 8 too.

Edit:

Wonder what kind of buses they'll be?
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Feb 2019, 1:34 pm #42

(06 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm)Malarkey Citylink 57 and 58's could also be a possibility.

PVR's for the Drifter, Saltwell Park and the Loop are 8 too.

Edit:

Wonder what kind of buses they'll be?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

06 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm #43
(06 Feb 2019, 11:16 am)RBZ 5459 Go North East have got their bid successfully won in the ultra-low emissions bus schemes. 9 electric vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...sv/preview

Was this a bid in relation to the Gateshead and Newcastle clean air schemes? 

Makes sense a cross-river, urban service (rather than anything going beyond those boroughs) if so.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm #43

(06 Feb 2019, 11:16 am)RBZ 5459 Go North East have got their bid successfully won in the ultra-low emissions bus schemes. 9 electric vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...sv/preview

Was this a bid in relation to the Gateshead and Newcastle clean air schemes? 

Makes sense a cross-river, urban service (rather than anything going beyond those boroughs) if so.

S813 FVK

06 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm #44
(06 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Was this a bid in relation to the Gateshead and Newcastle clean air schemes? 

In Martijn Gilbert's tweet welcoming the news, he did make the point of including both Newcastle and Gateshead within it
https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/10...93856?s=20

53/54 initially jumped out at me, but like a few other suggestions put forward, this only has a PVR of 8 and the proposition of an electric bus sitting around in the depot all day because the 'main' 8 are operational doesn't sound too good. Having said that, I'm sure they would find a route to allocate the spare bus to when not required to cover on the main routes.
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
06 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm #44

(06 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Was this a bid in relation to the Gateshead and Newcastle clean air schemes? 

In Martijn Gilbert's tweet welcoming the news, he did make the point of including both Newcastle and Gateshead within it

53/54 initially jumped out at me, but like a few other suggestions put forward, this only has a PVR of 8 and the proposition of an electric bus sitting around in the depot all day because the 'main' 8 are operational doesn't sound too good. Having said that, I'm sure they would find a route to allocate the spare bus to when not required to cover on the main routes.

Andreos1

06 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm #45
(06 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm)S813 FVK In Martijn Gilbert's tweet welcoming the news, he did make the point of including both Newcastle and Gateshead within it

I hadn't seen that tweet, but remembered discussion in the past regarding bids and the clean air schemes. 

Having a spare does make sense, particularly if they're justifying the business case, by being able to maintain the PVR and correct allocation.

Andreos1
06 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm #45

(06 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm)S813 FVK In Martijn Gilbert's tweet welcoming the news, he did make the point of including both Newcastle and Gateshead within it

I hadn't seen that tweet, but remembered discussion in the past regarding bids and the clean air schemes. 

Having a spare does make sense, particularly if they're justifying the business case, by being able to maintain the PVR and correct allocation.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm #46
Go North East have issued a press release.

Electric buses to hit the streets of Newcastle and Gateshead
Read more: http://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/e...ead-357749
Dan
06 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm #46

Go North East have issued a press release.

06 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm #47
(06 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm)Dan Go North East have issued a press release.

The release, and other sources, specifically mention operation between Gateshead and Newcastle across the Tyne Bridge, which would seem to eliminate the Q3, Newcastle side only, and the Q1/Q2, not via the Tyne Bridge, from the running.
Ianthegoon
06 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm #47

(06 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm)Dan Go North East have issued a press release.

The release, and other sources, specifically mention operation between Gateshead and Newcastle across the Tyne Bridge, which would seem to eliminate the Q3, Newcastle side only, and the Q1/Q2, not via the Tyne Bridge, from the running.

06 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm #48
I go with the 57. The 57 operates in Newcastle,
Gateshead And Small part of North Tyneside.
In fact the 57 follows a route in where the councils have been told to reduce emissions on roads. Newcastle City Centre,Coast Rd and Parts around Gateshead. This overall makes me think that it’s the 57 which these are for.

(06 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm)NewcastleOne I go with the 57. The 57 operates in Newcastle,
In fact the 57 follows a route in where the councils have been told to reduce emissions on roads. Newcastle City Centre,Coast Rd and Parts around Gateshead. This overall makes me think that it’s the 57 which these are for.

And also the Tyne Bridge.
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm by NewcastleOne.
NewcastleOne
06 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm #48

I go with the 57. The 57 operates in Newcastle,

(06 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm)NewcastleOne I go with the 57. The 57 operates in Newcastle,

Michael

06 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm #49

More likely the 57 or 58 now, but what about the 53/54?, not sure on the route from Gateshead to Newcastle, never use the service.

Edit: Means 8 streetlites to the loop, withdrawing the Scania's.

Edit: Hope the buses are Volvo 7900 but the electric version - https://www.volvobuses.co.uk/en-gb/our-o...ctric.html

Early 2020 though, still a while yet
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 6:30 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm #49

More likely the 57 or 58 now, but what about the 53/54?, not sure on the route from Gateshead to Newcastle, never use the service.

Edit: Hope the buses are Volvo 7900 but the electric version - https://www.volvobuses.co.uk/en-gb/our-o...ctric.html

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

ne14ne1

06 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm #50
Great news about the electric buses!

The 57 would certainly seem to fit the bill with working through Central Newcastle & Central Gateshead, & using the Tyne Bridge and Coast Rd which are both pollution hotspots.

However my initial guess was the 53/54 if I'm being honest, as this is a shorter route than runs more centrally and closer to the depot for getting back to the chargers, (although an extra charger could always be put in at Gateshead Interchange for use on layovers?).

Thinking aloud here, I'd re-route 53/54 so it pretty much went around the bus loop in Newcastle City Centre.
(Northbound from Gateshead Interchange it would call at Hills St, then across the Tyne Bridge and serve Tyne Bridge North End, Market St East, John Dobson St/City Hall OR St Mary's Place for Haymarket, possibly Eldon Square Bus Station, then Newgate St/Maldron Hotel, Grainger St South for Central Station, St Nicholas St/High Level Bridge North, Gateshead Wellington St, Gateshead Interchange, and then after that I'm not too sure. Maybe it could go further down Durham Road as that is a busy corridor and it will still serve Saltwell Park half way along it, then terminate & turn back at the Angel of the North/A1 roundabout which in future may be a Park & Ride site by the sounds of it).  

I'd also have it renumbered & rebranded to promote it more as a central shuttle linking the two major central areas together.
A bit like the Quaylink is still often more noticeable and accessible to tourists over other local buses, this too would become a known service to tourists, residents, and even longer distance/park & ride commuters as the shuttle for getting in, around & between Newcastle & Gateshead, and along Durham Road.
"City Shuttle" - The clean green city centre connection machine.    ;-)    
Much better than 53/54 Saltwell Park which I think as a brand doesn't entice anyone. The different numbers for different directions of the circular route is confusing too, along with the 'Newcastle' destination even on Gateshead-bound services. 

...Having said that if it was going to branch out down Durham Rd it could be a cross-city service and branch out down the Coast Rd at the other end of the route, (turning back at the Wallsend roundabout), OR go down the Great North Road as that is polluted too ...but already has a wealth of bus services I suppose. I guess making it cross-city though is almost leaning back towards the Citylink57 suggestion.

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see!
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 10:04 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
06 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm #50

Great news about the electric buses!

The 57 would certainly seem to fit the bill with working through Central Newcastle & Central Gateshead, & using the Tyne Bridge and Coast Rd which are both pollution hotspots.

However my initial guess was the 53/54 if I'm being honest, as this is a shorter route than runs more centrally and closer to the depot for getting back to the chargers, (although an extra charger could always be put in at Gateshead Interchange for use on layovers?).

Thinking aloud here, I'd re-route 53/54 so it pretty much went around the bus loop in Newcastle City Centre.
(Northbound from Gateshead Interchange it would call at Hills St, then across the Tyne Bridge and serve Tyne Bridge North End, Market St East, John Dobson St/City Hall OR St Mary's Place for Haymarket, possibly Eldon Square Bus Station, then Newgate St/Maldron Hotel, Grainger St South for Central Station, St Nicholas St/High Level Bridge North, Gateshead Wellington St, Gateshead Interchange, and then after that I'm not too sure. Maybe it could go further down Durham Road as that is a busy corridor and it will still serve Saltwell Park half way along it, then terminate & turn back at the Angel of the North/A1 roundabout which in future may be a Park & Ride site by the sounds of it).  

I'd also have it renumbered & rebranded to promote it more as a central shuttle linking the two major central areas together.
A bit like the Quaylink is still often more noticeable and accessible to tourists over other local buses, this too would become a known service to tourists, residents, and even longer distance/park & ride commuters as the shuttle for getting in, around & between Newcastle & Gateshead, and along Durham Road.
"City Shuttle" - The clean green city centre connection machine.    ;-)    
Much better than 53/54 Saltwell Park which I think as a brand doesn't entice anyone. The different numbers for different directions of the circular route is confusing too, along with the 'Newcastle' destination even on Gateshead-bound services. 

...Having said that if it was going to branch out down Durham Rd it could be a cross-city service and branch out down the Coast Rd at the other end of the route, (turning back at the Wallsend roundabout), OR go down the Great North Road as that is polluted too ...but already has a wealth of bus services I suppose. I guess making it cross-city though is almost leaning back towards the Citylink57 suggestion.

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see!

06 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm #51
(06 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm)Michael More likely the 57 or 58 now, but what about the 53/54?, not sure on the route from Gateshead to Newcastle, never use the service.

It won’t be them. Martin has said that they will be charged at Riverside over Night instead of Destination panels or what ever they are called.
My mind springs to the MMC 200 EV

Also the 53/54 mainly goes on back streets in Gateshead where it sometimes is the only service. It does opt in some busy areas eg New CC and Gate TC but other than that now really where the air quality needs to be reduced to the same as Coast Rd,Tyne Bridge And Other parts.
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 7:41 pm by NewcastleOne.
NewcastleOne
06 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm #51

(06 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm)Michael More likely the 57 or 58 now, but what about the 53/54?, not sure on the route from Gateshead to Newcastle, never use the service.

It won’t be them. Martin has said that they will be charged at Riverside over Night instead of Destination panels or what ever they are called.
My mind springs to the MMC 200 EV

Also the 53/54 mainly goes on back streets in Gateshead where it sometimes is the only service. It does opt in some busy areas eg New CC and Gate TC but other than that now really where the air quality needs to be reduced to the same as Coast Rd,Tyne Bridge And Other parts.

06 Feb 2019, 9:24 pm #52
(05 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm)busmanT I don't think that the contract for the 33 is due to be renewed this year

I assume that you reported this to Go North East customer services, so that feedback can be passed onto the staff concerned.

When do the 32A and 33/33A contracts expire? I hope Go North East keeps the services. I expect the 32A would go to Arriva, no idea about the 33/33A.
OrangeArrow49
06 Feb 2019, 9:24 pm #52

(05 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm)busmanT I don't think that the contract for the 33 is due to be renewed this year

I assume that you reported this to Go North East customer services, so that feedback can be passed onto the staff concerned.

When do the 32A and 33/33A contracts expire? I hope Go North East keeps the services. I expect the 32A would go to Arriva, no idea about the 33/33A.

JM03

06 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm #53
Forgot to say yesterday but 6017 broke down around the corner from the village on the 309 about half 5
JM03
06 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm #53

Forgot to say yesterday but 6017 broke down around the corner from the village on the 309 about half 5

06 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm #54
(06 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm)JM03 Forgot to say yesterday but 6017 broke down around the corner from the village on the 309 about half 5

I seen it and its fromt panel had came loose and fell off. Engineer quickly put back on and bus was in move again
Jordan2104
06 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm #54

(06 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm)JM03 Forgot to say yesterday but 6017 broke down around the corner from the village on the 309 about half 5

I seen it and its fromt panel had came loose and fell off. Engineer quickly put back on and bus was in move again

MrBoyt

06 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm #55
(06 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm)ne14ne1 Thinking aloud here, I'd re-route 53/54 so it pretty much went around the bus loop in Newcastle City Centre...

Much better than 53/54 Saltwell Park which I think as a brand doesn't entice anyone...

I'm sure the people of Coatsworth and Saltwell Roads will be happy to lose their service for the sake of a duplicate 21! Also, the 'Saltwell Park' brand likely catches the eye of people who want to go to Saltwell Park and environs, so I'd say it does its job rather well. 

You do have a point about the destination blind only saying Newcastle though (the official terminus due to it being a circular route). Could do with one that starts as 'Bensham (then Newcastle)' which changes to 'Newcastle' halfway round.
Edited 06 Feb 2019, 11:52 pm by MrBoyt.
MrBoyt
06 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm #55

(06 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm)ne14ne1 Thinking aloud here, I'd re-route 53/54 so it pretty much went around the bus loop in Newcastle City Centre...

Much better than 53/54 Saltwell Park which I think as a brand doesn't entice anyone...

I'm sure the people of Coatsworth and Saltwell Roads will be happy to lose their service for the sake of a duplicate 21! Also, the 'Saltwell Park' brand likely catches the eye of people who want to go to Saltwell Park and environs, so I'd say it does its job rather well. 

You do have a point about the destination blind only saying Newcastle though (the official terminus due to it being a circular route). Could do with one that starts as 'Bensham (then Newcastle)' which changes to 'Newcastle' halfway round.

07 Feb 2019, 3:15 am #56
My would agree that the electric buses should go on the 53/54 as it runs through a lot of Newcastle City Centre, operates down some of the busiest roads, and the PVR of 8 is perfect. Plus they could advertise it that the Saltwell Parks have gone Greener. The size of the BYD D9UR / ADL Enviro 200MMCs would be perfect for the route too. Plus the 53/54 is probably due some new buses too.

Then the short streetlites can be displaced onto the 97 for example.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
07 Feb 2019, 3:15 am #56

My would agree that the electric buses should go on the 53/54 as it runs through a lot of Newcastle City Centre, operates down some of the busiest roads, and the PVR of 8 is perfect. Plus they could advertise it that the Saltwell Parks have gone Greener. The size of the BYD D9UR / ADL Enviro 200MMCs would be perfect for the route too. Plus the 53/54 is probably due some new buses too.

Then the short streetlites can be displaced onto the 97 for example.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

07 Feb 2019, 6:44 am #57
9088 has landed itself in the Saltmeadows pits - has it been involved in an accident?
EL1TE
07 Feb 2019, 6:44 am #57

9088 has landed itself in the Saltmeadows pits - has it been involved in an accident?

Swiny1

07 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm #58
9088 on 4 Just left concord for Heworth

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Swiny1
07 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm #58

9088 on 4 Just left concord for Heworth

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ne14ne1

07 Feb 2019, 7:54 pm #59
(06 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm)MrBoyt I'm sure the people of Coatsworth and Saltwell Roads will be happy to lose their service for the sake of a duplicate 21!

Fair enough, I wasn't really sure where it went after G'head Int.
ne14ne1
07 Feb 2019, 7:54 pm #59

(06 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm)MrBoyt I'm sure the people of Coatsworth and Saltwell Roads will be happy to lose their service for the sake of a duplicate 21!

Fair enough, I wasn't really sure where it went after G'head Int.

Michael

08 Feb 2019, 7:32 am #60
5370 just pulled in to park lane with the 6 to Newcastle on... very confused passengers, was quickly changed though
Edited 08 Feb 2019, 7:33 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Feb 2019, 7:32 am #60

5370 just pulled in to park lane with the 6 to Newcastle on... very confused passengers, was quickly changed though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (14) Previous 1 2 3 414 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average