Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events North East Bus & Coach Show 2019

North East Bus & Coach Show 2019

North East Bus & Coach Show 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
15 Feb 2019, 10:46 am #1
NEBPT have confirmed on their Facebook page that this years event is on 5th May and is back at Metrocentre after the last 2 years have been at Spillers Wharf. 

https://www.facebook.com/142526422471560...77?sfns=cl
TEN 6083
15 Feb 2019, 10:46 am #1

NEBPT have confirmed on their Facebook page that this years event is on 5th May and is back at Metrocentre after the last 2 years have been at Spillers Wharf. 

https://www.facebook.com/142526422471560...77?sfns=cl

01 Mar 2019, 8:30 pm #2
...hopefully it stays at MetroCentre from now on!
omnicity4659
01 Mar 2019, 8:30 pm #2

...hopefully it stays at MetroCentre from now on!

MurdnunoC

05 May 2019, 2:08 pm #3
MetroCentre is certainly a better venue but the event was still as lacklustre as ever. 2/10.
MurdnunoC
05 May 2019, 2:08 pm #3

MetroCentre is certainly a better venue but the event was still as lacklustre as ever. 2/10.

BusLoverMum

05 May 2019, 3:04 pm #4
(05 May 2019, 2:08 pm)MurdnunoC MetroCentre is certainly a better venue but the event was still as lacklustre as ever. 2/10.

Why?
BusLoverMum
05 May 2019, 3:04 pm #4

(05 May 2019, 2:08 pm)MurdnunoC MetroCentre is certainly a better venue but the event was still as lacklustre as ever. 2/10.

Why?

Jimmi

05 May 2019, 3:08 pm #5
I've said it before and I'll say it again, until the notion that this is a 'Go North East' show go away, this is always going to be a dire event, to some this is just an event for 'window lickers' and the like, sorry if that offends but that's not far from the viewpoint of some.

Credit to the people who did being buses along to the event today, be it commercial operators or preservationists.
Jimmi
05 May 2019, 3:08 pm #5

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until the notion that this is a 'Go North East' show go away, this is always going to be a dire event, to some this is just an event for 'window lickers' and the like, sorry if that offends but that's not far from the viewpoint of some.

Credit to the people who did being buses along to the event today, be it commercial operators or preservationists.

MurdnunoC

05 May 2019, 3:49 pm #6
(05 May 2019, 3:04 pm)BusLoverMum Why?

It's just the same old, same old innit!

I think that the event is usually scheduled a week after the Teesside Running Day probably doesn't help matters as I tend to enjoy that one more - largely due to the variety of trips on offer and, perhaps, because it's more of a day out. I've done both now for 5 or 6 years on the trot so maybe it's time for a break from attending this one - even though it's the most convenient for me to attend. 

On another note, I believe you and I briefly met today whilst you were trading Pokemon so it's nice to put a face to the name at last.
MurdnunoC
05 May 2019, 3:49 pm #6

(05 May 2019, 3:04 pm)BusLoverMum Why?

It's just the same old, same old innit!

I think that the event is usually scheduled a week after the Teesside Running Day probably doesn't help matters as I tend to enjoy that one more - largely due to the variety of trips on offer and, perhaps, because it's more of a day out. I've done both now for 5 or 6 years on the trot so maybe it's time for a break from attending this one - even though it's the most convenient for me to attend. 

On another note, I believe you and I briefly met today whilst you were trading Pokemon so it's nice to put a face to the name at last.

BusLoverMum

05 May 2019, 3:53 pm #7
(05 May 2019, 3:49 pm)MurdnunoC It's just the same old, same old innit!

Ah! It was you on the bike? That was big'un, with me. He's actually getting more out of the shows, so far, this year, as he's less overwhelmed by everything. He did get me shouted at by the guys photographing the Cobalt and Coast bus, though Blush
BusLoverMum
05 May 2019, 3:53 pm #7

(05 May 2019, 3:49 pm)MurdnunoC It's just the same old, same old innit!

Ah! It was you on the bike? That was big'un, with me. He's actually getting more out of the shows, so far, this year, as he's less overwhelmed by everything. He did get me shouted at by the guys photographing the Cobalt and Coast bus, though Blush

Boggle

05 May 2019, 5:13 pm #8
I popped by this afternoon and would agree that it was a bit underwhelming. I don’t think that this was due to the vehicles on display as there was a great selection of preserved and modern buses, but a lack of organisation.

My main gripe was that there was no easy way of finding out what was going out on the shuttles at any given point. The guy with what was seemingly the only copy of the roster was clutching it tightly on his clipboard. Surely a copy of the roster could be posted on the free bus stop? It would save joining the queue without any clue as to whether you will actually want to ride on what rolls up. The lack of organisation summed up by the guy with clipboard quibbling with the guys on 574 who came out to do a run when it wasn’t their slot. Overhearing the conversation, he seemed genuinely annoyed and would rather have a queue of people standing around waiting than send a bus load of happy people out on a bus that wasn’t scheduled even though the owners of the bus were willing to provide added interest to the event.

Even with the lack of organisation, I managed to ride 574 and the Strathtay Leopard, both of awhich were great rides on totally contrasting preserved buses. Sadly, the lack of any indication of what was going out on the shuttles meant that I missed out on a ride on 6000, as it was full by the time I joined the queue. Hopefully an opportunity may arise at an event with better communication in due course.

That said, even with the lack of information, I managed two good rides and it was a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours.
Edited 05 May 2019, 5:17 pm by Boggle.
Boggle
05 May 2019, 5:13 pm #8

I popped by this afternoon and would agree that it was a bit underwhelming. I don’t think that this was due to the vehicles on display as there was a great selection of preserved and modern buses, but a lack of organisation.

My main gripe was that there was no easy way of finding out what was going out on the shuttles at any given point. The guy with what was seemingly the only copy of the roster was clutching it tightly on his clipboard. Surely a copy of the roster could be posted on the free bus stop? It would save joining the queue without any clue as to whether you will actually want to ride on what rolls up. The lack of organisation summed up by the guy with clipboard quibbling with the guys on 574 who came out to do a run when it wasn’t their slot. Overhearing the conversation, he seemed genuinely annoyed and would rather have a queue of people standing around waiting than send a bus load of happy people out on a bus that wasn’t scheduled even though the owners of the bus were willing to provide added interest to the event.

Even with the lack of organisation, I managed to ride 574 and the Strathtay Leopard, both of awhich were great rides on totally contrasting preserved buses. Sadly, the lack of any indication of what was going out on the shuttles meant that I missed out on a ride on 6000, as it was full by the time I joined the queue. Hopefully an opportunity may arise at an event with better communication in due course.

That said, even with the lack of information, I managed two good rides and it was a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours.

MurdnunoC

05 May 2019, 5:29 pm #9
(05 May 2019, 5:13 pm)Boggle My main gripe was that there was no easy way of finding out what was going out on the shuttles at any given point. The guy with what was seemingly the only copy of the roster was clutching it tightly on his clipboard. Surely a copy of the roster could be posted on the free bus stop? It would save joining the queue without any clue as to whether you will actually want to ride on what rolls up. The lack of organisation summed up by the guy with clipboard quibbling with the guys on 574 who came out to do a run when it wasn’t their slot. Overhearing the conversation, he seemed genuinely annoyed and would rather have a queue of people standing around waiting than send a bus load of happy people out on a bus that wasn’t scheduled even though the owners of the bus were willing to provide added interest to the event.

I must have been standing close to you while the guy with the clipboard started arguing with Lee about doing a run on 574. While I understand it wasn't 'scheduled' so to speak, I honestly don't understand why he tried to make such fuss about it. If someone wants to do an unscheduled run using their vehicle and fuel then it's entirely up to them, it has no real bearing on the actual timetable of events - if anything, it's an added bonus. 

His complaint didn't end there either, I passed upon the opportunity to board 574 in favor of the next bus, Jordan Hunter's preserved Lime-branded Volvo B10. Not only was he still miffed about 574 departing when it did, he actually made Jordan wait around 10 minutes until the next 'scheduled' slot (2pm I believe). Unbelievable.
MurdnunoC
05 May 2019, 5:29 pm #9

(05 May 2019, 5:13 pm)Boggle My main gripe was that there was no easy way of finding out what was going out on the shuttles at any given point. The guy with what was seemingly the only copy of the roster was clutching it tightly on his clipboard. Surely a copy of the roster could be posted on the free bus stop? It would save joining the queue without any clue as to whether you will actually want to ride on what rolls up. The lack of organisation summed up by the guy with clipboard quibbling with the guys on 574 who came out to do a run when it wasn’t their slot. Overhearing the conversation, he seemed genuinely annoyed and would rather have a queue of people standing around waiting than send a bus load of happy people out on a bus that wasn’t scheduled even though the owners of the bus were willing to provide added interest to the event.

I must have been standing close to you while the guy with the clipboard started arguing with Lee about doing a run on 574. While I understand it wasn't 'scheduled' so to speak, I honestly don't understand why he tried to make such fuss about it. If someone wants to do an unscheduled run using their vehicle and fuel then it's entirely up to them, it has no real bearing on the actual timetable of events - if anything, it's an added bonus. 

His complaint didn't end there either, I passed upon the opportunity to board 574 in favor of the next bus, Jordan Hunter's preserved Lime-branded Volvo B10. Not only was he still miffed about 574 departing when it did, he actually made Jordan wait around 10 minutes until the next 'scheduled' slot (2pm I believe). Unbelievable.

LeeCalder

05 May 2019, 5:50 pm #10
I must say we were overwhelmed by the reaction to 574's presence today. I was also miffed by the NEBPT representative with the clipboard, as you could probably tell by my reaction. He was moaning we were taking the passengers of the 2pm service, despite Jordan being aware we were going to do a trip.

I will be mentioning this to the NEBPT, as I thought the attitude of the gentleman was poor, and if the passengers would have rather waited for Jordan's 2pm journey, they could have done so. The majority of the queue opted for a ride on the MPD, and I certainly hope they enjoyed it.
LeeCalder
05 May 2019, 5:50 pm #10

I must say we were overwhelmed by the reaction to 574's presence today. I was also miffed by the NEBPT representative with the clipboard, as you could probably tell by my reaction. He was moaning we were taking the passengers of the 2pm service, despite Jordan being aware we were going to do a trip.

I will be mentioning this to the NEBPT, as I thought the attitude of the gentleman was poor, and if the passengers would have rather waited for Jordan's 2pm journey, they could have done so. The majority of the queue opted for a ride on the MPD, and I certainly hope they enjoyed it.

Charles41

05 May 2019, 6:25 pm #11
I attended today and quite enjoyed the rally. Organisation and communication do need to be improved. I've commented upon this in the past. It would appear to be an ongoing issue with the NEBT.

What surprised me is the prices now charged for new fleet books. Your talking eighteen or nineteen pounds. Thats an awful lot of money. I did not buy any but got some good second hand bargains.

Fleet books need to be affordable for all.

Charles
Charles41
05 May 2019, 6:25 pm #11

I attended today and quite enjoyed the rally. Organisation and communication do need to be improved. I've commented upon this in the past. It would appear to be an ongoing issue with the NEBT.

What surprised me is the prices now charged for new fleet books. Your talking eighteen or nineteen pounds. Thats an awful lot of money. I did not buy any but got some good second hand bargains.

Fleet books need to be affordable for all.

Charles

05 May 2019, 6:29 pm #12
I have to agree with other comments, the organisation of the event could have be massively improved by making it easier to find out which buses were going out when as many of those present I suspect would have liked to have been able to plan to catch the buses they wanted, rather than being shepherded onto the next thing to arrive.  Despite the weather being fairly rubbish there were good crowds though, and the majority of the trips looked packed.  Could have done with more frequent buses in my opinion, so why someone running an extra journey was a problem I have no idea!
stagecoachbusdepot
05 May 2019, 6:29 pm #12

I have to agree with other comments, the organisation of the event could have be massively improved by making it easier to find out which buses were going out when as many of those present I suspect would have liked to have been able to plan to catch the buses they wanted, rather than being shepherded onto the next thing to arrive.  Despite the weather being fairly rubbish there were good crowds though, and the majority of the trips looked packed.  Could have done with more frequent buses in my opinion, so why someone running an extra journey was a problem I have no idea!

Jimmi

05 May 2019, 6:58 pm #13
(05 May 2019, 5:29 pm)MurdnunoC I must have been standing close to you while the guy with the clipboard started arguing with Lee about doing a run on 574. While I understand it wasn't 'scheduled' so to speak, I honestly don't understand why he tried to make such fuss about it. If someone wants to do an unscheduled run using their vehicle and fuel then it's entirely up to them, it has no real bearing on the actual timetable of events - if anything, it's an added bonus. 

(05 May 2019, 5:50 pm)LeeCalder I must say we were overwhelmed by the reaction to 574's presence today. I was also miffed by the NEBPT representative with the clipboard, as you could probably tell by my reaction. He was moaning we were taking the passengers of the 2pm service, despite Jordan being aware we were going to do a trip.

I wasn't there the whole time so I may have missed stuff but as far as I could tell the shuttles were half hourly and each bus appeared to only do one scheduled trip, I got there just after 10 and DAF R981FNW went out around this time and I didn't see it go out on another scheduled run at any other point, luckily I've been on this before so wasn't too bothered by this but had that not been the case and I found out it wouldn't go out again because of the way the event was organized I'd be really cheesed off, don't see why some should seemingly be denied the chance to ride on certain buses if we can't get to the event for the time of that shuttle.

Massive thanks Lee & co for taking 574 out for some unscheduled trips, was nice to finally be able to sample it.
[Image: 32838144987_ab1cbed21f.jpg]Preserved: 574 / NK53TMZ by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr
Jimmi
05 May 2019, 6:58 pm #13

(05 May 2019, 5:29 pm)MurdnunoC I must have been standing close to you while the guy with the clipboard started arguing with Lee about doing a run on 574. While I understand it wasn't 'scheduled' so to speak, I honestly don't understand why he tried to make such fuss about it. If someone wants to do an unscheduled run using their vehicle and fuel then it's entirely up to them, it has no real bearing on the actual timetable of events - if anything, it's an added bonus. 

(05 May 2019, 5:50 pm)LeeCalder I must say we were overwhelmed by the reaction to 574's presence today. I was also miffed by the NEBPT representative with the clipboard, as you could probably tell by my reaction. He was moaning we were taking the passengers of the 2pm service, despite Jordan being aware we were going to do a trip.

I wasn't there the whole time so I may have missed stuff but as far as I could tell the shuttles were half hourly and each bus appeared to only do one scheduled trip, I got there just after 10 and DAF R981FNW went out around this time and I didn't see it go out on another scheduled run at any other point, luckily I've been on this before so wasn't too bothered by this but had that not been the case and I found out it wouldn't go out again because of the way the event was organized I'd be really cheesed off, don't see why some should seemingly be denied the chance to ride on certain buses if we can't get to the event for the time of that shuttle.

Massive thanks Lee & co for taking 574 out for some unscheduled trips, was nice to finally be able to sample it.
[Image: 32838144987_ab1cbed21f.jpg]Preserved: 574 / NK53TMZ by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

05 May 2019, 7:08 pm #14
Was planning on getting out on a shuttle but never got round to it due to the constant queues as I wanted a double decker front seat upstairs for some videoing for my YouTube channel but wasn’t aware of which vehicles were running so I had a walk down to Riverside and back instead and got a few photos there as well as some buses out on shuttles on the way there and back.

Photos linked below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ten6083/shares/Xc2G35

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
05 May 2019, 7:08 pm #14

Was planning on getting out on a shuttle but never got round to it due to the constant queues as I wanted a double decker front seat upstairs for some videoing for my YouTube channel but wasn’t aware of which vehicles were running so I had a walk down to Riverside and back instead and got a few photos there as well as some buses out on shuttles on the way there and back.

Photos linked below

MurdnunoC

05 May 2019, 7:33 pm #15
(05 May 2019, 6:58 pm)Jimmi Massive thanks Lee & co for taking 574 out for some unscheduled trips, was nice to finally be able to sample it.

Oooh. Is that Swallwell Lidl in the background?

That's not following the agreed shuttle route! Very naughty indeed!!
MurdnunoC
05 May 2019, 7:33 pm #15

(05 May 2019, 6:58 pm)Jimmi Massive thanks Lee & co for taking 574 out for some unscheduled trips, was nice to finally be able to sample it.

Oooh. Is that Swallwell Lidl in the background?

Boggle

05 May 2019, 7:50 pm #16

574 is a credit to you.  It's great to see younger enthusiasts preserving modern vehicles (albeit 574 is now somehow 16 years old - where does time go?) and also great to be allowed to enjoy a ride out on your bus.  You made my daughter's day by letting her sit in the driver's seat for a photo.  It's going on her "What i did at the weekend" report for school and she's looking forward to telling her friends and teacher about it.  I hope you have it out and about on the rally scene for many years to come for people to enjoy and that you and your mates enjoy every minute of it too.
Boggle
05 May 2019, 7:50 pm #16

574 is a credit to you.  It's great to see younger enthusiasts preserving modern vehicles (albeit 574 is now somehow 16 years old - where does time go?) and also great to be allowed to enjoy a ride out on your bus.  You made my daughter's day by letting her sit in the driver's seat for a photo.  It's going on her "What i did at the weekend" report for school and she's looking forward to telling her friends and teacher about it.  I hope you have it out and about on the rally scene for many years to come for people to enjoy and that you and your mates enjoy every minute of it too.

LeeCalder

05 May 2019, 8:13 pm #17
(05 May 2019, 7:33 pm)MurdnunoC Oooh. Is that Swallwell Lidl in the background?

This was a 'private' run for a few people who were hanging around, as a couple of people wanted a drive - prior to the 'argumentative' run, which of course followed the route.  Tongue
Edited 05 May 2019, 8:15 pm by LeeCalder.
LeeCalder
05 May 2019, 8:13 pm #17

(05 May 2019, 7:33 pm)MurdnunoC Oooh. Is that Swallwell Lidl in the background?

This was a 'private' run for a few people who were hanging around, as a couple of people wanted a drive - prior to the 'argumentative' run, which of course followed the route.  Tongue

MurdnunoC

05 May 2019, 8:27 pm #18
I think the 'official' route was a bit silly anyway. Metrocentre is quite easy to access through frequent services from both Newcastle and Gateshead so, unlike Spillers Wharf (or the Transporter Bridge for the Teesside Running Day), there's no need for a shuttle service into Newcastle. On the run I was on, we ended up waiting in traffic while traversing through Newcastle as well as doing a circle as to go around the Central Station twice. Now, I'm not saying there's no merit in doing a run across the Tyne Bridge then back over the Redheugh, but there are other places you could go which would take a similar amount of time. For example, why not run a route up through Ryton and Crawcrook then back along the bypass to Blaydon and Metrocentre, or a run along the A1 then up through Lobley Hill and Whickham. There are other options available where less traffic would be encountered.
MurdnunoC
05 May 2019, 8:27 pm #18

I think the 'official' route was a bit silly anyway. Metrocentre is quite easy to access through frequent services from both Newcastle and Gateshead so, unlike Spillers Wharf (or the Transporter Bridge for the Teesside Running Day), there's no need for a shuttle service into Newcastle. On the run I was on, we ended up waiting in traffic while traversing through Newcastle as well as doing a circle as to go around the Central Station twice. Now, I'm not saying there's no merit in doing a run across the Tyne Bridge then back over the Redheugh, but there are other places you could go which would take a similar amount of time. For example, why not run a route up through Ryton and Crawcrook then back along the bypass to Blaydon and Metrocentre, or a run along the A1 then up through Lobley Hill and Whickham. There are other options available where less traffic would be encountered.

Boggle

05 May 2019, 8:33 pm #19
(05 May 2019, 8:27 pm)MurdnunoC I think the 'official' route was a bit silly anyway. Metrocentre is quite easy to access through frequent services from both Newcastle and Gateshead so, unlike Spillers Wharf (or the Transporter Bridge for the Teesside Running Day), there's no need for a shuttle service into Newcastle. On the run I was on, we ended up waiting in traffic while traversing through Newcastle as well as doing a circle as to go around the Central Station twice.  Now, I'm not saying there's no merit in doing a run across the Tyne Bridge then back over the Redheugh, but there are other places you could go which would take a similar amount of time. For example, why not run a route up through Ryton and Crawcrook then back along the bypass to Blaydon and Metrocentre, or a run along the A1 then up through Lobley Hill and Whickham. There are other options available where less traffic would be encountered.

I agree totally agree with this.  The old run up to the Tanfield Railway was good as it gave the buses a challenge.  I remember a few years ago, one owner was really keen to test his bus out on a run up Swalwell Bank.  Driving into Newcastle on a Bank Holiday weekend to sit in traffic doesn't feel like the best use of the vehicles.
Boggle
05 May 2019, 8:33 pm #19

(05 May 2019, 8:27 pm)MurdnunoC I think the 'official' route was a bit silly anyway. Metrocentre is quite easy to access through frequent services from both Newcastle and Gateshead so, unlike Spillers Wharf (or the Transporter Bridge for the Teesside Running Day), there's no need for a shuttle service into Newcastle. On the run I was on, we ended up waiting in traffic while traversing through Newcastle as well as doing a circle as to go around the Central Station twice.  Now, I'm not saying there's no merit in doing a run across the Tyne Bridge then back over the Redheugh, but there are other places you could go which would take a similar amount of time. For example, why not run a route up through Ryton and Crawcrook then back along the bypass to Blaydon and Metrocentre, or a run along the A1 then up through Lobley Hill and Whickham. There are other options available where less traffic would be encountered.

I agree totally agree with this.  The old run up to the Tanfield Railway was good as it gave the buses a challenge.  I remember a few years ago, one owner was really keen to test his bus out on a run up Swalwell Bank.  Driving into Newcastle on a Bank Holiday weekend to sit in traffic doesn't feel like the best use of the vehicles.

S830OFT

05 May 2019, 8:38 pm #20
(05 May 2019, 7:08 pm)TEN 6083 Was planning on getting out on a shuttle but never got round to it due to the constant queues as I wanted a double decker front seat upstairs for some videoing for my YouTube channel but wasn’t aware of which vehicles were running so I had a walk down to Riverside and back instead and got a few photos there as well as some buses out on shuttles on the way there and back.

Photos linked below

The Front Seats are definitely the best seats on the best, hence why most of the time they are always occupied. The trick around it is get there first.

S830OFT
05 May 2019, 8:38 pm #20

(05 May 2019, 7:08 pm)TEN 6083 Was planning on getting out on a shuttle but never got round to it due to the constant queues as I wanted a double decker front seat upstairs for some videoing for my YouTube channel but wasn’t aware of which vehicles were running so I had a walk down to Riverside and back instead and got a few photos there as well as some buses out on shuttles on the way there and back.

Photos linked below

The Front Seats are definitely the best seats on the best, hence why most of the time they are always occupied. The trick around it is get there first.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average