Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15): Previous 16 7 815 Next
LVK 404L

17 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm #121
My gripe with the new zones is South Tyneside still has been kept to a minimal link with Gateshead and Newcastle. A Boldon to Heworth journey still requires a 2 zone ticket for a journey time of less than 10 minutes. But a journey from Blyth to Washington via Newcastle can still be done on 1 zone taking nigh on 90-120 minutes. The re think of the zones is still not just quite right.
LVK 404L
17 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm #121

My gripe with the new zones is South Tyneside still has been kept to a minimal link with Gateshead and Newcastle. A Boldon to Heworth journey still requires a 2 zone ticket for a journey time of less than 10 minutes. But a journey from Blyth to Washington via Newcastle can still be done on 1 zone taking nigh on 90-120 minutes. The re think of the zones is still not just quite right.

17 Jul 2019, 12:22 pm #122
(17 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm)ifm001 My gripe with the new zones is South Tyneside still has been kept to a minimal link with Gateshead and Newcastle. A Boldon to Heworth journey still requires a 2 zone ticket for a journey time of less than 10 minutes. But a journey from Blyth to Washington via Newcastle can still be done on 1 zone taking nigh on 90-120 minutes. The re think of the zones is still not just quite right.

But realistically is anyone doing that journey going to buy a day ticket?

No matter what they do, it's always going to be bad for some people, that's just the nature of splitting the area into zones.
streetdeckfan
17 Jul 2019, 12:22 pm #122

(17 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm)ifm001 My gripe with the new zones is South Tyneside still has been kept to a minimal link with Gateshead and Newcastle. A Boldon to Heworth journey still requires a 2 zone ticket for a journey time of less than 10 minutes. But a journey from Blyth to Washington via Newcastle can still be done on 1 zone taking nigh on 90-120 minutes. The re think of the zones is still not just quite right.

But realistically is anyone doing that journey going to buy a day ticket?

No matter what they do, it's always going to be bad for some people, that's just the nature of splitting the area into zones.

Andreos1

17 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm #123

Totally agree with your sentiments.

Miss the 50 from Boldon, need to get to Washington - pay the additional surcharge to go via Heworth and then back in to the red zone or wait for the next 50?

Not too bad during the day, but painful at other times.

(17 Jul 2019, 12:22 pm)streetdeckfan But realistically is anyone doing that journey going to buy a day ticket?

I think I made the point previously about there being some sort of overlap between zones. A 'no-mans zone' for want of a better phrase - not too dissimilar to Washington, but on a smaller scale.

I'm not sure how it could be policed or managed, but allowing a red ticket to travel in to the next zone would go a long way to appeasing those who live on or near a border.

The boundary between Chester and Tyne & Wear (using the 71, 78 or 8 as examples) doesn't benefit any passengers. Particularly on those evening trips.

Stick an overlap in of sorts and travelling between the points can become viable.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm #123

Miss the 50 from Boldon, need to get to Washington - pay the additional surcharge to go via Heworth and then back in to the red zone or wait for the next 50?

(17 Jul 2019, 12:22 pm)streetdeckfan But realistically is anyone doing that journey going to buy a day ticket?

I think I made the point previously about there being some sort of overlap between zones. A 'no-mans zone' for want of a better phrase - not too dissimilar to Washington, but on a smaller scale.

I'm not sure how it could be policed or managed, but allowing a red ticket to travel in to the next zone would go a long way to appeasing those who live on or near a border.

The boundary between Chester and Tyne & Wear (using the 71, 78 or 8 as examples) doesn't benefit any passengers. Particularly on those evening trips.

Stick an overlap in of sorts and travelling between the points can become viable.

17 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm #124

(17 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm)Andreos1

I see where you're coming from, but once you start letting people use their ticket in another zone by a stop or two, it's going to get abused.

What they could have done that would have been nice would make the interchanges near the borders a 'netural zone' so you can go via them, as long as you get on a bus that goes back into the zone your ticket is for

Or even if they operated a policy where it's at the drivers discression, but I know when I was on the 27 to Newcastle, someone tried to get on the bus one stop into the red zone as they couldn't make it to the next stop, and the driver made them pay for a ticket to the next stop.

streetdeckfan
17 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm #124

(17 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm)Andreos1

I see where you're coming from, but once you start letting people use their ticket in another zone by a stop or two, it's going to get abused.

What they could have done that would have been nice would make the interchanges near the borders a 'netural zone' so you can go via them, as long as you get on a bus that goes back into the zone your ticket is for

Or even if they operated a policy where it's at the drivers discression, but I know when I was on the 27 to Newcastle, someone tried to get on the bus one stop into the red zone as they couldn't make it to the next stop, and the driver made them pay for a ticket to the next stop.

17 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm #125
When is 9080 re-entering service? And can it actually be in service this time instead of circling around Gateshead Interchange?
enviro7501
17 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm #125

When is 9080 re-entering service? And can it actually be in service this time instead of circling around Gateshead Interchange?

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jul 2019, 2:25 pm #126

(17 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm)enviro7501 When is 9080 re-entering service? And can it actually be in service this time instead of circling around Gateshead Interchange?

It entered service last time on the Saltwell Park 53/54?

Driver familiarisation should be completed by mid-day tomorrow, at which point it will enter service on Citylink service 58.

Dan
17 Jul 2019, 2:25 pm #126

(17 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm)enviro7501 When is 9080 re-entering service? And can it actually be in service this time instead of circling around Gateshead Interchange?

Driver familiarisation should be completed by mid-day tomorrow, at which point it will enter service on Citylink service 58.

17 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm #127

(17 Jul 2019, 2:25 pm)Dan

The day I went to get it, all it did was circle around Gateshead Interchange. Thanks for the info Dan.

enviro7501
17 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm #127

(17 Jul 2019, 2:25 pm)Dan

The day I went to get it, all it did was circle around Gateshead Interchange. Thanks for the info Dan.

JM03

17 Jul 2019, 2:34 pm #128
5267 is in 2019 corp. does this mean the Little Coasters repaints are on hold until omnicities are repainted?

694 also re painted too
Edited 17 Jul 2019, 2:43 pm by JM03.
JM03
17 Jul 2019, 2:34 pm #128

5267 is in 2019 corp. does this mean the Little Coasters repaints are on hold until omnicities are repainted?

694 also re painted too

Andreos1

17 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm #129

(17 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm)streetdeckfan

So Chester Town centre or Durham then?

Nice central points and not open to ambiguity.

Saves punters having to buy a 2zone ticket to travel a few miles up the road.

Andreos1
17 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm #129

(17 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm)streetdeckfan

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm #130

(17 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm)Andreos1

Do you not think this would cause issues too?

In years gone by, the boundary for tickets was Blaydon Bus Station. This meant that anyone travelling from Stella, just a stone's throw away from the bus station in Blaydon, had to pay more for their fares as they crossed the border in Blaydon. Nowadays, the border is Stella, so that those in Stella don't have to purchase a two-zone ticket.

You could then argue the people of Ryton are fairly close too, but where does this argument end..?

Dan
17 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm #130

In years gone by, the boundary for tickets was Blaydon Bus Station. This meant that anyone travelling from Stella, just a stone's throw away from the bus station in Blaydon, had to pay more for their fares as they crossed the border in Blaydon. Nowadays, the border is Stella, so that those in Stella don't have to purchase a two-zone ticket.

You could then argue the people of Ryton are fairly close too, but where does this argument end..?

JM03

17 Jul 2019, 6:43 pm #131
6306 broken down in Eldon square bus station with SNE 19195
JM03
17 Jul 2019, 6:43 pm #131

6306 broken down in Eldon square bus station with SNE 19195

S830OFT

17 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm #132
Is the 64/95 morning journey allocating an ex EYMS bus? Because this journey used to operate with one of the OmniDekkas...

S830OFT
17 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm #132

Is the 64/95 morning journey allocating an ex EYMS bus? Because this journey used to operate with one of the OmniDekkas...

17 Jul 2019, 7:18 pm #133

(17 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm)Dan

I quite like what Arriva does, where some services you can go outside the zone. Like with the Durham District, you can still get the X12 to Newcastle.

For example, GNE could do a similar thing and allow you to use a Green ticket on the X21/21 to Newcastle, or a green ticket from Stanley to Consett, but if you wanted to travel around Consett you'd need an All zone.

streetdeckfan
17 Jul 2019, 7:18 pm #133

I quite like what Arriva does, where some services you can go outside the zone. Like with the Durham District, you can still get the X12 to Newcastle.

For example, GNE could do a similar thing and allow you to use a Green ticket on the X21/21 to Newcastle, or a green ticket from Stanley to Consett, but if you wanted to travel around Consett you'd need an All zone.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm #134

(17 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm)S830OFT Is the 64/95 morning journey allocating an ex EYMS bus? Because this journey used to operate with one of the OmniDekkas...

Yes.

Dan
17 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm #134

(17 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm)S830OFT Is the 64/95 morning journey allocating an ex EYMS bus? Because this journey used to operate with one of the OmniDekkas...

Yes.

Andreos1

17 Jul 2019, 7:54 pm #135

No more than Washington will.

If it can be managed there, then I can't see why it can't be managed elsewhere.

Andreos1
17 Jul 2019, 7:54 pm #135

Adrian

17 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm #136
Bit of a ramble of my thoughts on the recent announcement that GoZones will replace Buzzfare: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...fare-game/

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm #136

Bit of a ramble of my thoughts on the recent announcement that GoZones will replace Buzzfare: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...fare-game/

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

17 Jul 2019, 9:30 pm #137

(17 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm)Adrian Bit of a ramble of my thoughts on the recent announcement that GoZones will replace Buzzfare: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...fare-game/

I wish GNE would start serving more of the areas around County Durham again. I know it'll never happen, but I would love for them to extend the X21 even further, perhaps to Darlington.

Plus, it would make me actually consider visiting Darlington, at the minute, the only options are pay for an Arriva ticket, or get on a Pacer, and I'd rather do neither!

I think part of the reason why the OK1 failed was because there were basically no other GNE services around it, besides the X21, so that meant unless people were coming from somewhere along the X21 route, they'd have to get an Arriva ticket first, and at that point they might as well have just used an Arriva service the whole way.

The issue with each company having their own 'patch' is that there is little to no competition at all, which I think is why we see companies like Arriva 'upgrade' their routes with 11 year old buses. Sure, if we have it so every route is serviced by all companies, it would be a nightmare, but it would be nice to see more overlap.

Back in reality though, that'll never happen, so at the very least, I would there to be a ticket that includes T&W and County Durham

streetdeckfan
17 Jul 2019, 9:30 pm #137

(17 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm)Adrian Bit of a ramble of my thoughts on the recent announcement that GoZones will replace Buzzfare: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...fare-game/

I wish GNE would start serving more of the areas around County Durham again. I know it'll never happen, but I would love for them to extend the X21 even further, perhaps to Darlington.

Plus, it would make me actually consider visiting Darlington, at the minute, the only options are pay for an Arriva ticket, or get on a Pacer, and I'd rather do neither!

I think part of the reason why the OK1 failed was because there were basically no other GNE services around it, besides the X21, so that meant unless people were coming from somewhere along the X21 route, they'd have to get an Arriva ticket first, and at that point they might as well have just used an Arriva service the whole way.

The issue with each company having their own 'patch' is that there is little to no competition at all, which I think is why we see companies like Arriva 'upgrade' their routes with 11 year old buses. Sure, if we have it so every route is serviced by all companies, it would be a nightmare, but it would be nice to see more overlap.

Back in reality though, that'll never happen, so at the very least, I would there to be a ticket that includes T&W and County Durham

BusLoverMum

17 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm #138

On that point, I noticed there's no mini zone for Durham City. Obviously not trying to compete with Arriva, there.

(17 Jul 2019, 7:18 pm)streetdeckfan

Yep, the Durham County is valid on the 22 all the way to Sunderland. You can't get off in Ryhope and back on again to Park lane, as that's all outside the zone, but you can travel into and out of the zone on the ticket.

Or, well, that's the theory. Not many of the drivers seemed to be aware of it.

(17 Jul 2019, 7:54 pm)Andreos1

Would have been nice to see Washington tweaked into the green, too. I expect there's a lot of people from CLS work there or visit regularly for other reasons.

Edited 17 Jul 2019, 10:45 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
17 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm #138

On that point, I noticed there's no mini zone for Durham City. Obviously not trying to compete with Arriva, there.

(17 Jul 2019, 7:18 pm)streetdeckfan

Yep, the Durham County is valid on the 22 all the way to Sunderland. You can't get off in Ryhope and back on again to Park lane, as that's all outside the zone, but you can travel into and out of the zone on the ticket.

(17 Jul 2019, 7:54 pm)Andreos1

Would have been nice to see Washington tweaked into the green, too. I expect there's a lot of people from CLS work there or visit regularly for other reasons.

17 Jul 2019, 11:00 pm #139

(17 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm)BusLoverMum

But from a business perspective, if they know plenty of people have to travel between them, it makes sense to split them apart as those people will pay the price regardless (to a point).

Overall, I think the new zones are a lot better than the old ones, and I like the new zone map, as it shows the real distance between things, you can really tell which areas GNE don't operate in now!

streetdeckfan
17 Jul 2019, 11:00 pm #139

(17 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm)BusLoverMum

But from a business perspective, if they know plenty of people have to travel between them, it makes sense to split them apart as those people will pay the price regardless (to a point).

Overall, I think the new zones are a lot better than the old ones, and I like the new zone map, as it shows the real distance between things, you can really tell which areas GNE don't operate in now!

18 Jul 2019, 10:12 am #140
Just saw 9080 leaving MetroCentre, is it still supposed to be out this afternoon?

Also, when did they make the scrolling text about the WiFi on the NSA smaller, it looks a load better and easier to read than the full height text.
streetdeckfan
18 Jul 2019, 10:12 am #140

Just saw 9080 leaving MetroCentre, is it still supposed to be out this afternoon?

Also, when did they make the scrolling text about the WiFi on the NSA smaller, it looks a load better and easier to read than the full height text.

Pages (15): Previous 16 7 815 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average