Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (18) Previous 1 2 3 418 Next
04 Aug 2019, 1:00 pm #41
(04 Aug 2019, 12:56 pm)Dan Again, I go back to my original question. For all of the operators now equipping their buses with Next Stop Announcements, who funds the additional resource required to update the announcements for the short-term closures and/or diversions in place?

Right or wrong; until the systems become less clunky, I don't think you'll ever get the announcements to reflect the correct route all of the time. I'd doubt many, if any at all, operators could resource it currently (I used Lothian as my example previously as they've really upped their game for providing this feature, and are definitely leading the way in the entire industry in my opinion, currently, yet they face the same challenges and seemingly haven't overcome them).

If operators don't have the resource, one option could be to disable the announcements to prevent incorrect information being given to passengers. This isn't ideal either though, is it? I suspect the current situ means that they're right the majority of the time, for the majority of stops, benefiting the majority of passengers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I mean, you could always give the driver a microphone and tell them to do the NSAs
streetdeckfan
04 Aug 2019, 1:00 pm #41

(04 Aug 2019, 12:56 pm)Dan Again, I go back to my original question. For all of the operators now equipping their buses with Next Stop Announcements, who funds the additional resource required to update the announcements for the short-term closures and/or diversions in place?

Right or wrong; until the systems become less clunky, I don't think you'll ever get the announcements to reflect the correct route all of the time. I'd doubt many, if any at all, operators could resource it currently (I used Lothian as my example previously as they've really upped their game for providing this feature, and are definitely leading the way in the entire industry in my opinion, currently, yet they face the same challenges and seemingly haven't overcome them).

If operators don't have the resource, one option could be to disable the announcements to prevent incorrect information being given to passengers. This isn't ideal either though, is it? I suspect the current situ means that they're right the majority of the time, for the majority of stops, benefiting the majority of passengers.

I mean, you could always give the driver a microphone and tell them to do the NSAs

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm #42
(04 Aug 2019, 1:00 pm)streetdeckfan I mean, you could always give the driver a microphone and tell them to do the NSAs
All jokes aside I think that's what we're possibly forgetting in all of this.

Whilst there's a system on board buses to assist passengers, if ever the information given by this system is inaccurate, there is always a customer-facing person at the front of the bus, who should be able to assist with any enquiries...

In my Lothian example from yesterday, the driver came upstairs to advise us that we'd arrived at the point in the route he had been regulated from, and we'd have to alight and wait for the next bus, if we wished to continue our journey.

Dan
04 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm #42

(04 Aug 2019, 1:00 pm)streetdeckfan I mean, you could always give the driver a microphone and tell them to do the NSAs
All jokes aside I think that's what we're possibly forgetting in all of this.

Whilst there's a system on board buses to assist passengers, if ever the information given by this system is inaccurate, there is always a customer-facing person at the front of the bus, who should be able to assist with any enquiries...

In my Lothian example from yesterday, the driver came upstairs to advise us that we'd arrived at the point in the route he had been regulated from, and we'd have to alight and wait for the next bus, if we wished to continue our journey.

Andreos1

04 Aug 2019, 1:07 pm #43

(04 Aug 2019, 12:56 pm)Dan Again,  I go back to my original question. For all of the operators now equipping their buses with Next Stop Announcements, who funds the additional resource required to update the announcements for the short-term closures and/or diversions in place?  Right or wrong; until the systems become less clunky, I don't think you'll ever get the announcements to reflect the correct route all of the time. I'd doubt many, if any at all, operators could resource it currently (I used Lothian as my example previously as they've really upped their game for providing this feature, and are definitely leading the way in the entire industry in my opinion, currently, yet they face the same challenges and seemingly haven't overcome them).

The operators themselves?

I made the point previously that they're happy to paint the vehicles funky colours.

Why not pay for something which actually benefits the customers, on an ongoing basis.

As for 'benefitting the majority of passengers'. Accessible vehicles don't really benefit the majority of passengers. They make it accessible to the minority.

It goes without saying, that it needs to work for all passengers, not just the majority.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Aug 2019, 1:07 pm #43

(04 Aug 2019, 12:56 pm)Dan Again,  I go back to my original question. For all of the operators now equipping their buses with Next Stop Announcements, who funds the additional resource required to update the announcements for the short-term closures and/or diversions in place?  Right or wrong; until the systems become less clunky, I don't think you'll ever get the announcements to reflect the correct route all of the time. I'd doubt many, if any at all, operators could resource it currently (I used Lothian as my example previously as they've really upped their game for providing this feature, and are definitely leading the way in the entire industry in my opinion, currently, yet they face the same challenges and seemingly haven't overcome them).

I made the point previously that they're happy to paint the vehicles funky colours.

Why not pay for something which actually benefits the customers, on an ongoing basis.

As for 'benefitting the majority of passengers'. Accessible vehicles don't really benefit the majority of passengers. They make it accessible to the minority.

It goes without saying, that it needs to work for all passengers, not just the majority.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm #44
(04 Aug 2019, 1:07 pm)Andreos1

Wouldn't that then lead to some operators doing it, and others not? One being more customer-focused, the other less so (just how, using your example, some operators will paint buses more frequently than others)?

I don't think the answer is as simple as you suggest. Alas, here in the North East (until later this year anyway) Stagecoach have still not equipped a single one of their buses with this system (whereas a fair proportion of the Arriva and Go North East fleets are).

Dan
04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm #44

(04 Aug 2019, 1:07 pm)Andreos1

Wouldn't that then lead to some operators doing it, and others not? One being more customer-focused, the other less so (just how, using your example, some operators will paint buses more frequently than others)?

I don't think the answer is as simple as you suggest. Alas, here in the North East (until later this year anyway) Stagecoach have still not equipped a single one of their buses with this system (whereas a fair proportion of the Arriva and Go North East fleets are).

Andreos1

04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm #45

(04 Aug 2019, 11:56 am)ifm001

I used to be regular user of X9/X10 at Testos. Daily Monday to Friday.   I always got the 0558 X9 to Middlesbrough and when diverted and omitted Testo, how on earth do you guys at GNE think someone can get to Heworth for that time of the morning without incurring taxi costs etc. I lost count of the number of times I contacted GNE and we discussed alternative diversions will still observed Boldon near to Testos all to no avail. GNE were not willing to listen to suggestions and when I contacted Martijn he referred me back to customer services.

Those if you on here who don't use Testos roundabout. Try it for a month and see how much patience you have at the end.

Hence I learned to drive. Passed my test, and avoid Testos like the plague. But not all of us have this luxury now. There are still a lot of customers having to put up with this.

Mind you if we lived elsewhere there would be shuttle buses provided as in most other diversions but no we aren't entitled to them either.

I think you make some good points there, which really emphasise the importance of the customer being a priority.

Whilst previous comments have focused on, on-bus technology; your points have reiterated the fact that operational requirements often come first.

You were a minority.

You now don't bother.

The operator have now lost a passenger, due to the inconveniences and problems you faced.

(04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm)Dan Wouldn't that then lead to some operators doing it, and others not? One being more customer-focused, the other less so (just how, using your example, some operators will paint buses more frequently than others)?

Isn't that what makes the businesses stand out above others?

The customer focused ones spend their time (appearing to anyway), making the customer the priority. Making the customer feel important.

That tends to be why those businesses succeed.

Wants, needs and expectations.

When those expecations are exceeded, then the business knows it is on the right track.

I've recently been working with a multinational organisation and developing their customer service offer.

It was an eye-opener!

When needs aren't met (stops missed, customers not informed of changes/given conflicting information etc), then the loyalty, trust and whatever else isn't achieved.

Edited 04 Aug 2019, 1:19 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm #45

(04 Aug 2019, 11:56 am)ifm001

I used to be regular user of X9/X10 at Testos. Daily Monday to Friday.   I always got the 0558 X9 to Middlesbrough and when diverted and omitted Testo, how on earth do you guys at GNE think someone can get to Heworth for that time of the morning without incurring taxi costs etc. I lost count of the number of times I contacted GNE and we discussed alternative diversions will still observed Boldon near to Testos all to no avail. GNE were not willing to listen to suggestions and when I contacted Martijn he referred me back to customer services.

Those if you on here who don't use Testos roundabout. Try it for a month and see how much patience you have at the end.

Hence I learned to drive. Passed my test, and avoid Testos like the plague. But not all of us have this luxury now. There are still a lot of customers having to put up with this.

Mind you if we lived elsewhere there would be shuttle buses provided as in most other diversions but no we aren't entitled to them either.

I think you make some good points there, which really emphasise the importance of the customer being a priority.

Whilst previous comments have focused on, on-bus technology; your points have reiterated the fact that operational requirements often come first.

You were a minority.

You now don't bother.

The operator have now lost a passenger, due to the inconveniences and problems you faced.

(04 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm)Dan Wouldn't that then lead to some operators doing it, and others not? One being more customer-focused, the other less so (just how, using your example, some operators will paint buses more frequently than others)?

Isn't that what makes the businesses stand out above others?

The customer focused ones spend their time (appearing to anyway), making the customer the priority. Making the customer feel important.

That tends to be why those businesses succeed.

Wants, needs and expectations.

When those expecations are exceeded, then the business knows it is on the right track.

I've recently been working with a multinational organisation and developing their customer service offer.

It was an eye-opener!

When needs aren't met (stops missed, customers not informed of changes/given conflicting information etc), then the loyalty, trust and whatever else isn't achieved.

04 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm #46

I think until things like this start becoming a requirement there are always going to be some companies that cheap out and don't bother installing it.
I can't imagine it being that difficult or expensive to make a simple NSA system for local operators that only have a few routes.
streetdeckfan
04 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm #46

I think until things like this start becoming a requirement there are always going to be some companies that cheap out and don't bother installing it.
I can't imagine it being that difficult or expensive to make a simple NSA system for local operators that only have a few routes.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm #47

(04 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm)streetdeckfan I think until things like this start becoming a requirement there are always going to be some companies that cheap out and don't bother installing it.

A lot of what we've discussed today was covered under the 'accessible information' consultation in relation to the Bus Services Act 2017. There's a fair chance that these solutions will need to be (at least partially) funded by Government.

More info: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/bus-services-act-2017-accessible-information/bus-services-act-2017-accessible-information-html

Dan
04 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm #47

(04 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm)streetdeckfan I think until things like this start becoming a requirement there are always going to be some companies that cheap out and don't bother installing it.

A lot of what we've discussed today was covered under the 'accessible information' consultation in relation to the Bus Services Act 2017. There's a fair chance that these solutions will need to be (at least partially) funded by Government.

More info: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/bus-services-act-2017-accessible-information/bus-services-act-2017-accessible-information-html

04 Aug 2019, 1:59 pm #48

(04 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm)Dan

More info: 

I can understand retrofits and installs for independents being funded by the government, but I'd imagine for the likes of Go Ahead, Arriva and Stagecoach, the cost to implement NSA on new vehicles would be negligible when you consider the amount that they're spending on the vehicles in the first place.

streetdeckfan
04 Aug 2019, 1:59 pm #48

(04 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm)Dan

More info: 

I can understand retrofits and installs for independents being funded by the government, but I'd imagine for the likes of Go Ahead, Arriva and Stagecoach, the cost to implement NSA on new vehicles would be negligible when you consider the amount that they're spending on the vehicles in the first place.

Michael

04 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm #49
On the FAB 56, first time in ages... still has the "Hylton College" as part of the stop announcement system.

Hylton College has been shut for ages now.. will it be removed?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm #49

On the FAB 56, first time in ages... still has the "Hylton College" as part of the stop announcement system.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm #50

(04 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm)Michael On the FAB 56, first time in ages... still has the "Hylton College" as part of the stop announcement system.

Maybe next month.

Dan
04 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm #50

(04 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm)Michael On the FAB 56, first time in ages... still has the "Hylton College" as part of the stop announcement system.

Maybe next month.

Michael

04 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm #51
(04 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm)Dan

Maybe next month.

Is that when they come back from a refurb? Wink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm #51

(04 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm)Dan

Maybe next month.

Is that when they come back from a refurb? Wink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2019, 4:17 pm #52

(04 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm)Michael Is that when they come back from a refurb? Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

The Fab56 B9s aren't being refurbished.

Dan
04 Aug 2019, 4:17 pm #52

(04 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm)Michael Is that when they come back from a refurb? Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

Michael

04 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm #53
(04 Aug 2019, 4:17 pm)Dan

Shame, thought they would of....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm #53

Shame, thought they would of....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

04 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm #54

(04 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm)Michael Shame, thought they would of....

From what I've seen the 56s are looking a bit more tired inside compared to others of a similar age

streetdeckfan
04 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm #54

(04 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm)Michael Shame, thought they would of....

From what I've seen the 56s are looking a bit more tired inside compared to others of a similar age

Michael

04 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm #55
(04 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm)streetdeckfan

Ye, i noticed that today, wonder if that means new buses are on order in the 2020/2021 financial year?... we can hope Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm #55

(04 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm)streetdeckfan

Ye, i noticed that today, wonder if that means new buses are on order in the 2020/2021 financial year?... we can hope Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

04 Aug 2019, 5:30 pm #56

(04 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm)Michael Ye, i noticed that today, wonder if that means new buses are on order in the 2020/2021 financial year?... we can hope Tongue" alt="Tongue" title="Tongue">

I doubt it like, they might just do an Arriva and spray a bit of Febreeze on it and call it a new bus ?

streetdeckfan
04 Aug 2019, 5:30 pm #56

(04 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm)Michael Ye, i noticed that today, wonder if that means new buses are on order in the 2020/2021 financial year?... we can hope Tongue" alt="Tongue" title="Tongue">

I doubt it like, they might just do an Arriva and spray a bit of Febreeze on it and call it a new bus ?

04 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm #57

Guess the same goes for the Tyne Valley Tens as well then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
04 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm #57

Guess the same goes for the Tyne Valley Tens as well then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Malarkey

04 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm #58

Any plans in place for repainting them given they are now nearly 6 years old?

Also any plans for repaints for the Drifter Streetlites and Connections 4 Mercs?

Malarkey
04 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm #58

Also any plans for repaints for the Drifter Streetlites and Connections 4 Mercs?

Michael

04 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm #59
(04 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm)Malarkey

Hope so, the orange looks horrendous now, if the Drifter Streetlites get done, i think we will see the brand dropped, its a pointless brand.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm #59

(04 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm)Malarkey

Hope so, the orange looks horrendous now, if the Drifter Streetlites get done, i think we will see the brand dropped, its a pointless brand.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Malarkey

04 Aug 2019, 7:04 pm #60

(04 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm)Michael Hope so, the orange looks horrendous now, if the Drifter Streetlites get done, i think we will see the brand dropped, its a pointless brand.

I was at the match yesterday so got the 56 from Gateshead and back and the paint is very faded now, an internal spruce up is needed.

I am surprised they are not going for refurbishment to be honest.

Malarkey
04 Aug 2019, 7:04 pm #60

(04 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm)Michael Hope so, the orange looks horrendous now, if the Drifter Streetlites get done, i think we will see the brand dropped, its a pointless brand.

I was at the match yesterday so got the 56 from Gateshead and back and the paint is very faded now, an internal spruce up is needed.

I am surprised they are not going for refurbishment to be honest.

Pages (18) Previous 1 2 3 418 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average