Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways LNER (Formerly Virgin Trains East Coast & East Coast)

LNER (Formerly Virgin Trains East Coast & East Coast)

LNER (Formerly Virgin Trains East Coast & East Coast)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (40): Previous 1 2 3 440 Next
Andreos1

12 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm #41
(12 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm)Kuyoyo Unfortunately it won't come about - the company behind this has had big ideas in the past with its old GNER proposals along with its GNWR ones which failed to make it passed the ORR.

Are you working for ORR now like?
Just with you being so certain it won't come off, you obviously know something we don't....

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm #41

(12 Dec 2013, 8:36 pm)Kuyoyo Unfortunately it won't come about - the company behind this has had big ideas in the past with its old GNER proposals along with its GNWR ones which failed to make it passed the ORR.

Are you working for ORR now like?
Just with you being so certain it won't come off, you obviously know something we don't....

Andreos1

13 Dec 2013, 10:01 am #42
(13 Dec 2013, 9:15 am)BusFanPrudhoe Never used Cross Country toilets. East Coast ones are cramped and smelly.

Cross Country carriages are cramped and smelly - the toilets are spacious and smelly.

Andreos1
13 Dec 2013, 10:01 am #42

(13 Dec 2013, 9:15 am)BusFanPrudhoe Never used Cross Country toilets. East Coast ones are cramped and smelly.

Cross Country carriages are cramped and smelly - the toilets are spacious and smelly.

Adrian

13 Dec 2013, 11:10 am #43

My point was around the Voyagers themselves smelling like a public toilet

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Dec 2013, 11:10 am #43

My point was around the Voyagers themselves smelling like a public toilet

Andreos1

13 Dec 2013, 11:49 am #44
Just found these interesting comments relating to the Voyagers on CrossCountry.
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1022120

Holding my hands up, when they were new to Virgin and I was using the Voyagers to travel between Durham and Newcastle, I was impressed.

However, as time has gone by and my journeys have gone from minutes at a time to hours at a time, I have grown to despise the Voyagers for a number of reasons - including the smell.

Saying that, suppose each train type has it's positives and negatives.
It is just that some have more negatives than positives.

Andreos1
13 Dec 2013, 11:49 am #44

Just found these interesting comments relating to the Voyagers on CrossCountry.
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1022120

Holding my hands up, when they were new to Virgin and I was using the Voyagers to travel between Durham and Newcastle, I was impressed.

However, as time has gone by and my journeys have gone from minutes at a time to hours at a time, I have grown to despise the Voyagers for a number of reasons - including the smell.

Saying that, suppose each train type has it's positives and negatives.
It is just that some have more negatives than positives.

citaro5284

17 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm #45
The short listed Bidders for East Coast was announced today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/short...l-services
citaro5284
17 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm #45

The short listed Bidders for East Coast was announced today.

Adrian

17 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm #46
(17 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm)citaro5284 The short listed Bidders for East Coast was announced today.

I'd be very surprised if the joint Stagecoach/Virgin bid didn't win the franchise. Although I still think it's a mistake putting it back into private hands.

Adrian
17 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm #46

(17 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm)citaro5284 The short listed Bidders for East Coast was announced today.

I'd be very surprised if the joint Stagecoach/Virgin bid didn't win the franchise. Although I still think it's a mistake putting it back into private hands.

Andreos1

17 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #47
(17 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm)aureolin I'd be very surprised if the joint Stagecoach/Virgin bid didn't win the franchise. Although I still think it's a mistake putting it back into private hands.

Compensation for the WCML farce?

Hopefully there will be another farce and major balls up in the Dft and the current service gets a reprieve.
May have to use up my rewards points in the mean time

Andreos1
17 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #47

(17 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm)aureolin I'd be very surprised if the joint Stagecoach/Virgin bid didn't win the franchise. Although I still think it's a mistake putting it back into private hands.

Compensation for the WCML farce?

Hopefully there will be another farce and major balls up in the Dft and the current service gets a reprieve.
May have to use up my rewards points in the mean time

Andreos1

24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am #48
http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/key-iss...nger-power

Passenger Focus are promoting a survey which aims to attract views from EC passengers and influence bidding organisations.

Only a few days left before the survey closes.

Andreos1
24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am #48

http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/key-iss...nger-power

Passenger Focus are promoting a survey which aims to attract views from EC passengers and influence bidding organisations.

Adrian

24 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm #49
(24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am)andreos1 http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/key-iss...nger-power

Don't get me started Tongue On a serious note though, I've just completed the survey. My main gripes are; a) fares, b) advance tickets, c) Lack of free Wi-Fi, d) shocking catering facilities.

Adrian
24 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm #49

(24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am)andreos1 http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/key-iss...nger-power

Don't get me started Tongue On a serious note though, I've just completed the survey. My main gripes are; a) fares, b) advance tickets, c) Lack of free Wi-Fi, d) shocking catering facilities.

citaro5284

24 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm #50

Whilst I know Nat Express was not perfect, neither is EC by any stretch, nationalisation is not the be all and end all like some people would like to make us think.
citaro5284
24 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm #50

Whilst I know Nat Express was not perfect, neither is EC by any stretch, nationalisation is not the be all and end all like some people would like to make us think.

Andreos1

24 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm #51
(24 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm)aureolin Don't get me started Tongue On a serious note though, I've just completed the survey. My main gripes are; a) fares, b) advance tickets, c) Lack of free Wi-Fi, d) shocking catering facilities.

The wifi was a gripe of mine too.
It is that slow in standard, the 15mins are usually up by the time it has logged on.
Complained about the lack of southbound services into/out of Durham beyond 20:00 too.

(24 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm)citaro5284 Whilst I know Nat Express was not perfect, neither is EC by any stretch, nationalisation is not the be all and end all like some people would like to make us think.

I wasn't going to get into the privatisation/nationalisation debate and deliberately left it out of my initial post.

What I will say, is out of the three operators since privatisation, East Coast stands above the others for a number of reasons and not just because of the obvious - despite their call centre/customer services ballsing up yet again this afternoon.
Edited 24 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
24 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm #51

(24 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm)aureolin Don't get me started Tongue On a serious note though, I've just completed the survey. My main gripes are; a) fares, b) advance tickets, c) Lack of free Wi-Fi, d) shocking catering facilities.

The wifi was a gripe of mine too.
It is that slow in standard, the 15mins are usually up by the time it has logged on.
Complained about the lack of southbound services into/out of Durham beyond 20:00 too.

(24 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm)citaro5284 Whilst I know Nat Express was not perfect, neither is EC by any stretch, nationalisation is not the be all and end all like some people would like to make us think.

I wasn't going to get into the privatisation/nationalisation debate and deliberately left it out of my initial post.

What I will say, is out of the three operators since privatisation, East Coast stands above the others for a number of reasons and not just because of the obvious - despite their call centre/customer services ballsing up yet again this afternoon.

Adam

19 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm #52
Went to York today for a uni open day. Got the 07:56 HST service from Newcastle. Pulled in early and left about 5 mins late because the windscreen wiper on 43317 decided to break. The driver decided to change ends so we went over the High Level, effectively meaning it was in reverse. Was quite funny seeing many confused people when we got into York.
Adam
19 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm #52

Went to York today for a uni open day. Got the 07:56 HST service from Newcastle. Pulled in early and left about 5 mins late because the windscreen wiper on 43317 decided to break. The driver decided to change ends so we went over the High Level, effectively meaning it was in reverse. Was quite funny seeing many confused people when we got into York.

citaro5284

19 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm #53
(19 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm)Adam Went to York today for a uni open day. Got the 07:56 HST service from Newcastle. Pulled in early and left about 5 mins late because the windscreen wiper on 43317 decided to break. The driver decided to change ends so we went over the High Level, effectively meaning it was in reverse. Was quite funny seeing many confused people when we got into York.

Also means First Class at the rear....everyone standing at the wrong locations on the platforms Tongue
citaro5284
19 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm #53

(19 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm)Adam Went to York today for a uni open day. Got the 07:56 HST service from Newcastle. Pulled in early and left about 5 mins late because the windscreen wiper on 43317 decided to break. The driver decided to change ends so we went over the High Level, effectively meaning it was in reverse. Was quite funny seeing many confused people when we got into York.

Also means First Class at the rear....everyone standing at the wrong locations on the platforms Tongue

Adam

19 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm #54
(19 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm)citaro5284 Also means First Class at the rear....everyone standing at the wrong locations on the platforms Tongue

exactly. Was like the start of the Great North Run when everyone was frantically running down the platform Tongue
Adam
19 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm #54

(19 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm)citaro5284 Also means First Class at the rear....everyone standing at the wrong locations on the platforms Tongue

exactly. Was like the start of the Great North Run when everyone was frantically running down the platform Tongue

Adrian

19 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm #55
(19 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm)Adam exactly. Was like the start of the Great North Run when everyone was frantically running down the platform Tongue

Almost as bad as when they swap an electric and hst set, and nee one has the reservations they wanted!

Adrian
19 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm #55

(19 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm)Adam exactly. Was like the start of the Great North Run when everyone was frantically running down the platform Tongue

Almost as bad as when they swap an electric and hst set, and nee one has the reservations they wanted!

Andreos1

19 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm #56
Chaos with East Coast today due to a broken down train at Retford.
225's were hitched up to Thunderbirds and diverted around Lincoln and Spalding this afternoon in an effort to catch up on time - it got that desperate!

Andreos1
19 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm #56

Chaos with East Coast today due to a broken down train at Retford.
225's were hitched up to Thunderbirds and diverted around Lincoln and Spalding this afternoon in an effort to catch up on time - it got that desperate!

citaro5284

22 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm #57
Invitation to Tender released

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/03/21...feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Railco+%28rail.co%29
citaro5284
22 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm #57

Invitation to Tender released

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/03/21...feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Railco+%28rail.co%29

Adrian

22 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm #58
(22 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm)citaro5284 Invitation to Tender released

Some of the points are quite interesting.

Key features of the ITT include:

• supporting the roll out of a new fleet of state-of-the-art intercity express trains;
• continuation of services to all current destinations;
• faster and more frequent services to and from King’s Cross by May 2020;
• faster average journey times to Leeds and Edinburgh from May 2020;
• the potential for improved services to destinations such as Lincoln;
• an opportunity for bidders to serve five new routes including Huddersfield, Scarborough, Harrogate (via York), Middlesbrough and Sunderland (via Newcastle); and
• a fund that will drive innovation and deliver long-term benefits for the franchise and wider rail industry.

It's welcome to create the five new links, but will these be at the detriment to the current Edinburgh to Kings Cross, or Leeds to Kings Cross services? i.e. less frequent.

Is it even going to be possible to further increase frequencies? Look at the traffic round Ferryhill South Jn. for example. A similar problem exists at Sunderland station.

Adrian
22 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm #58

(22 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm)citaro5284 Invitation to Tender released

Some of the points are quite interesting.

• supporting the roll out of a new fleet of state-of-the-art intercity express trains;
• an opportunity for bidders to serve five new routes including Huddersfield, Scarborough, Harrogate (via York), Middlesbrough and Sunderland (via Newcastle); and
• a fund that will drive innovation and deliver long-term benefits for the franchise and wider rail industry.

It's welcome to create the five new links, but will these be at the detriment to the current Edinburgh to Kings Cross, or Leeds to Kings Cross services? i.e. less frequent.

Is it even going to be possible to further increase frequencies? Look at the traffic round Ferryhill South Jn. for example. A similar problem exists at Sunderland station.

Andreos1

23 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm #59
(22 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin Some of the points are quite interesting.

Interesting times ahead!
Hopefully the reward points scheme is honoured too.

I quite liked this quote:
Quote:I want to see innovative bids that provide value for money for taxpayers

I wonder how much taxpayers money is used to support the successful bidder as opposed to now?
Similarly, I am also curious to see the levels of return that the Government will receive, compared to current levels.

No idea how the extensions will work, taking into account current traffic levels, not only in the two local areas you mentioned, but between Kings Cross and Peterborough, which are already busy and result in regular delays.

Andreos1
23 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm #59

(22 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin Some of the points are quite interesting.

Interesting times ahead!
Hopefully the reward points scheme is honoured too.

I quite liked this quote:
Quote:I want to see innovative bids that provide value for money for taxpayers

I wonder how much taxpayers money is used to support the successful bidder as opposed to now?
Similarly, I am also curious to see the levels of return that the Government will receive, compared to current levels.

No idea how the extensions will work, taking into account current traffic levels, not only in the two local areas you mentioned, but between Kings Cross and Peterborough, which are already busy and result in regular delays.

Multi21

24 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm #60
Had a look at the the ITT for EC one thing that stood out for me is that EC have an option in the new franchise to send seven DAR paths to Middlesbrough if requested.. Direct services to London from Middlesbrough. It wouldn't surprise me if they ran it between TP and GC at Eaglescliffe!
Multi21
24 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm #60

Had a look at the the ITT for EC one thing that stood out for me is that EC have an option in the new franchise to send seven DAR paths to Middlesbrough if requested.. Direct services to London from Middlesbrough. It wouldn't surprise me if they ran it between TP and GC at Eaglescliffe!

Pages (40): Previous 1 2 3 440 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average