Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (25) Previous 123 24 25 Next
JP6004

29 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm #461

(29 Oct 2019, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan I finally got bored enough to actually read the vinyls on the X21, and I noticed it says "Discover Durham... where a towering cathedral and ancient castle stand high above a tight coil of the River Wear above a city of charm and interest"

I'm not usually one to complain about inconsequential things, but I'm fairly certain the Wear does not 'coil' since it's not a 'a spiral shape or a series of circles, each one inside another'

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Perhaps meaning it coils round the cathedral, better than saying it bends

JP6004
29 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm #461

(29 Oct 2019, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan I finally got bored enough to actually read the vinyls on the X21, and I noticed it says "Discover Durham... where a towering cathedral and ancient castle stand high above a tight coil of the River Wear above a city of charm and interest"

I'm not usually one to complain about inconsequential things, but I'm fairly certain the Wear does not 'coil' since it's not a 'a spiral shape or a series of circles, each one inside another'

29 Oct 2019, 12:11 pm #462
(29 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm)JP6004

I would have used the term meanders, which is what it actually does

streetdeckfan
29 Oct 2019, 12:11 pm #462

(29 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm)JP6004

I would have used the term meanders, which is what it actually does

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Oct 2019, 12:15 pm #463

(29 Oct 2019, 12:11 pm)streetdeckfan I would have used the term meanders, which is what it actually does

Not one to complain about inconsequential things, though. Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

Dan
29 Oct 2019, 12:15 pm #463

(29 Oct 2019, 12:11 pm)streetdeckfan I would have used the term meanders, which is what it actually does

Not one to complain about inconsequential things, though. Wink" alt="Wink" title="Wink">

missedbus

29 Oct 2019, 1:35 pm #464
There's a difference between a piece of marketing and an A level Geography essay, though, not least in terms of audience. I'm pretty sure most readers would know what was meant, even though you'd acquire a lot of red ink if you handed that to a geography teacher...
missedbus
29 Oct 2019, 1:35 pm #464

There's a difference between a piece of marketing and an A level Geography essay, though, not least in terms of audience. I'm pretty sure most readers would know what was meant, even though you'd acquire a lot of red ink if you handed that to a geography teacher...

LeeCalder

29 Oct 2019, 2:14 pm #465

Oh, give it a rest.
LeeCalder
29 Oct 2019, 2:14 pm #465

Oh, give it a rest.

Jimmi

29 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm #466
You'll all be pleased to know GNE have changed the stops/terminus points on the app to be a bit clearer such as stating which Bus Station the terminus is on some routes, Stanley Bus Station, Durham Bus Station etc and all southbound X21s should now track
Jimmi
29 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm #466

You'll all be pleased to know GNE have changed the stops/terminus points on the app to be a bit clearer such as stating which Bus Station the terminus is on some routes, Stanley Bus Station, Durham Bus Station etc and all southbound X21s should now track

29 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm #467
(29 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm)Jimmi You'll all be pleased to know GNE have changed the stops/terminus points on the app to be a bit clearer such as stating which Bus Station the terminus is on some routes, Stanley Bus Station, Durham Bus Station etc and all southbound X21s should now track
Seems strange they're fixing all the issues on the old app when the new app is on its way soon. We've gone without southbound X21 tracking for 6 months now, a few more isn't going to make much difference!

streetdeckfan
29 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm #467

(29 Oct 2019, 3:38 pm)Jimmi You'll all be pleased to know GNE have changed the stops/terminus points on the app to be a bit clearer such as stating which Bus Station the terminus is on some routes, Stanley Bus Station, Durham Bus Station etc and all southbound X21s should now track
Seems strange they're fixing all the issues on the old app when the new app is on its way soon. We've gone without southbound X21 tracking for 6 months now, a few more isn't going to make much difference!

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Oct 2019, 4:13 pm #468
(29 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm)streetdeckfan Seems strange they're fixing all the issues on the old app when the new app is on its way soon. We've gone without southbound X21 tracking for 6 months now, a few more isn't going to make much difference!

I'll remind you of that when a comment is made about the lack of announcements on the X21.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
29 Oct 2019, 4:13 pm #468

(29 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm)streetdeckfan Seems strange they're fixing all the issues on the old app when the new app is on its way soon. We've gone without southbound X21 tracking for 6 months now, a few more isn't going to make much difference!

I'll remind you of that when a comment is made about the lack of announcements on the X21.

29 Oct 2019, 4:20 pm #469
(29 Oct 2019, 4:13 pm)Dan I'll remind you of that when a comment is made about the lack of announcements on the X21.

I've actually got rather used to not having them now, but since you brought it up...

Is there any word of when we're getting the next stop announcements back on the X21?

streetdeckfan
29 Oct 2019, 4:20 pm #469

(29 Oct 2019, 4:13 pm)Dan I'll remind you of that when a comment is made about the lack of announcements on the X21.

I've actually got rather used to not having them now, but since you brought it up...

Is there any word of when we're getting the next stop announcements back on the X21?

29 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm #470

Oh how your life must be a living hell!  It seems GNE disappoints you in many ways, don't like the buses, don't like the livery, don't like this, don't like that.  Oh dear!

gordondack
29 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm #470

Oh how your life must be a living hell!  It seems GNE disappoints you in many ways, don't like the buses, don't like the livery, don't like this, don't like that.  Oh dear!

pbjd

29 Oct 2019, 8:31 pm #471

Newcastle bound 26s now track on app, only taken them since the service's inception almost 2 years ago to sort it...

pbjd
29 Oct 2019, 8:31 pm #471

Newcastle bound 26s now track on app, only taken them since the service's inception almost 2 years ago to sort it...

29 Oct 2019, 9:21 pm #472
When GNE terminate services at Gateshead Interchange, would a Return ticket be valid between Newcastle and Gateshead? A bit daft terminating services at the wrong place!
OrangeArrow49
29 Oct 2019, 9:21 pm #472

When GNE terminate services at Gateshead Interchange, would a Return ticket be valid between Newcastle and Gateshead? A bit daft terminating services at the wrong place!

29 Oct 2019, 9:43 pm #473

(29 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm)gordondack

You're right there, GNE does disappoint me, not because I don't like what they do, but because I know they could do it so much better!

I don't not like the Xlines livery, in fact I do very much like it, I just think it's so generic, if I didn't know anything, I'd think it was just an updated Stagecoach Gold livery! One of the things GNE is known for is that their 'brightly coloured buses are almost as recognisable as the iconic landmarks they visit', but they're not anymore.

To me it seems like a lot of the time they have great ideas, but then execute them so poorly.

Take the recent changes to the under 19 tickets, why didn't they work with colleges to accept student ID as proof of age before the changes rather than wait for all the complaints to come in and only then do something about it?

If they had actually bothered to take notice of the market research they would have known that nobody wants to carry around their passport just to get a reduced fare.

Why did they remove the ability to get young person tickets on The Key? The only reason I can think of is because it means they don't have to pay someone to check people are entitled to the ticket, why hire someone else when a driver could just do it. But the downside of that is it makes it way less convenient for people to travel by bus, buses spend more time stopped because the driver has to check everyone's ID, and people have to rely on GNE's app for monthly tickets, and as I've said many times, GNE's app is about as reliable as that Metrocity EV!

Sorry to bring this up again, but there's the NSAs on the X21. Why weren't the new announcements ready for the launch of the new route? There were already announcements for both the X21 and 18, so they would have only had to record I think 9 new stop names as well as the new route name (and program it all in). This could all have been done well in advance of the launch of the new route, but 6 months later we're still without them!

In all honesty, I don't really care that the NSAs on the X21s aren't working, I know the route so it doesn't affect me in the slightest, but when it's in the timetables and in massive writing on the bus that it's a 'talking bus', passengers will get on board expecting the bus to actually talk.

I'm no legal expert, but to me that is a grade A case of false advertising, and that's why I get so frustrated by it!

streetdeckfan
29 Oct 2019, 9:43 pm #473

(29 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm)gordondack

You're right there, GNE does disappoint me, not because I don't like what they do, but because I know they could do it so much better!

I don't not like the Xlines livery, in fact I do very much like it, I just think it's so generic, if I didn't know anything, I'd think it was just an updated Stagecoach Gold livery! One of the things GNE is known for is that their 'brightly coloured buses are almost as recognisable as the iconic landmarks they visit', but they're not anymore.

To me it seems like a lot of the time they have great ideas, but then execute them so poorly.

Take the recent changes to the under 19 tickets, why didn't they work with colleges to accept student ID as proof of age before the changes rather than wait for all the complaints to come in and only then do something about it?

If they had actually bothered to take notice of the market research they would have known that nobody wants to carry around their passport just to get a reduced fare.

Why did they remove the ability to get young person tickets on The Key? The only reason I can think of is because it means they don't have to pay someone to check people are entitled to the ticket, why hire someone else when a driver could just do it. But the downside of that is it makes it way less convenient for people to travel by bus, buses spend more time stopped because the driver has to check everyone's ID, and people have to rely on GNE's app for monthly tickets, and as I've said many times, GNE's app is about as reliable as that Metrocity EV!

Sorry to bring this up again, but there's the NSAs on the X21. Why weren't the new announcements ready for the launch of the new route? There were already announcements for both the X21 and 18, so they would have only had to record I think 9 new stop names as well as the new route name (and program it all in). This could all have been done well in advance of the launch of the new route, but 6 months later we're still without them!

In all honesty, I don't really care that the NSAs on the X21s aren't working, I know the route so it doesn't affect me in the slightest, but when it's in the timetables and in massive writing on the bus that it's a 'talking bus', passengers will get on board expecting the bus to actually talk.

I'm no legal expert, but to me that is a grade A case of false advertising, and that's why I get so frustrated by it!

29 Oct 2019, 9:45 pm #474

(29 Oct 2019, 9:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 When GNE terminate services at Gateshead Interchange, would a Return ticket be valid between Newcastle and Gateshead? A bit daft terminating services at the wrong place!

If you mean terminating early so the bus can turn around to make time. You’d just tell a driver of another bus in Gateshead that you’ve been kicked off and told to get on this one.

deanmachine
29 Oct 2019, 9:45 pm #474

(29 Oct 2019, 9:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 When GNE terminate services at Gateshead Interchange, would a Return ticket be valid between Newcastle and Gateshead? A bit daft terminating services at the wrong place!

If you mean terminating early so the bus can turn around to make time. You’d just tell a driver of another bus in Gateshead that you’ve been kicked off and told to get on this one.

29 Oct 2019, 9:52 pm #475

(29 Oct 2019, 9:45 pm)deanmachine

When there are delays, sometimes GNE post on Twitter for passengers to get a bus to Gateshead Interchanges then change buses, or passengers in Gateshead change buses towards Newcastle. I wasn't sure if a Return would be valid (I get a day ticker anyway, but just wanted to find out the answer!).

OrangeArrow49
29 Oct 2019, 9:52 pm #475

When there are delays, sometimes GNE post on Twitter for passengers to get a bus to Gateshead Interchanges then change buses, or passengers in Gateshead change buses towards Newcastle. I wasn't sure if a Return would be valid (I get a day ticker anyway, but just wanted to find out the answer!).

S830OFT

29 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm #476

(29 Oct 2019, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan

Instead of complaining about GNE, why not complain about Arriva who also operate in Bishop Auckland (where you say you travel from) and quite clearly offer a worse service in terms of investment & punctuality...

Also take your complaints to HQ instead of complain on here

S830OFT
29 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm #476

(29 Oct 2019, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan

Instead of complaining about GNE, why not complain about Arriva who also operate in Bishop Auckland (where you say you travel from) and quite clearly offer a worse service in terms of investment & punctuality...

29 Oct 2019, 10:30 pm #477

(29 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm)S830OFT

I do complain a lot about Arriva, in fact I think I probably complain the same amount, if not more, about Arriva as I do GNE. This isn't the first time I have brought up any of these (usually there is some context), I just happened to condense a few of my complaints into one post to demonstrate the point I was trying to make.

It's not that they are making bad decisions,

I just think that if GNE put more effort into planning then everything they do would turn out much better. It seems to me like they are launching things before they're ready, or even fully thought through! The reason my complaints sound so petty is because quite honestly GNE don't really do that much to annoy me, but the things they do wrong are things that could have so easily been avoided!

streetdeckfan
29 Oct 2019, 10:30 pm #477

(29 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm)S830OFT

I do complain a lot about Arriva, in fact I think I probably complain the same amount, if not more, about Arriva as I do GNE. This isn't the first time I have brought up any of these (usually there is some context), I just happened to condense a few of my complaints into one post to demonstrate the point I was trying to make.

I just think that if GNE put more effort into planning then everything they do would turn out much better. It seems to me like they are launching things before they're ready, or even fully thought through! The reason my complaints sound so petty is because quite honestly GNE don't really do that much to annoy me, but the things they do wrong are things that could have so easily been avoided!

BusLoverMum

30 Oct 2019, 12:08 am #478

I think the issue is occasions like last week when 56s were terminating in gateshead and passengers needed to catch a different service in Newcastle to find their 56 home, in gateshead.

(29 Oct 2019, 10:30 pm)streetdeckfan

GNE did not plan for wrightbus to go belly up.

Edited 30 Oct 2019, 12:10 am by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
30 Oct 2019, 12:08 am #478

I think the issue is occasions like last week when 56s were terminating in gateshead and passengers needed to catch a different service in Newcastle to find their 56 home, in gateshead.

(29 Oct 2019, 10:30 pm)streetdeckfan

GNE did not plan for wrightbus to go belly up.

Jimmi

30 Oct 2019, 8:46 am #479
(29 Oct 2019, 9:52 pm)OrangeArrow49

I would imagine a message would be laid over the radio to drivers advising them about service 56 being curtailed at Gateshead if it's multiple trips to allow 56 passengers to travel through to/from Newcastle, think I've seen 56 drivers wait for the first available bus to pull in and transfer the passengers if it's just a one particularly late running trip.

Newcastle end is the confusing bit, how are passengers meant to know 56's are not picking them up there? Not everyone has or looks at Facebook/Twitter when waiting for the bus and no real other way to find out this is happening unless you get a good driver advise 56 passengers about it maybe?
Jimmi
30 Oct 2019, 8:46 am #479

(29 Oct 2019, 9:52 pm)OrangeArrow49

I would imagine a message would be laid over the radio to drivers advising them about service 56 being curtailed at Gateshead if it's multiple trips to allow 56 passengers to travel through to/from Newcastle, think I've seen 56 drivers wait for the first available bus to pull in and transfer the passengers if it's just a one particularly late running trip.

Newcastle end is the confusing bit, how are passengers meant to know 56's are not picking them up there? Not everyone has or looks at Facebook/Twitter when waiting for the bus and no real other way to find out this is happening unless you get a good driver advise 56 passengers about it maybe?

30 Oct 2019, 9:21 am #480
Do we know when the E400s will be in service yet?

I'm just itching to find out if they're any better than Arriva's (which honestly isn't that difficult). And I also can't wait to forget about the low ceiling upstairs and knock myself out on the top step like I do every time I get on one!
streetdeckfan
30 Oct 2019, 9:21 am #480

Do we know when the E400s will be in service yet?

I'm just itching to find out if they're any better than Arriva's (which honestly isn't that difficult). And I also can't wait to forget about the low ceiling upstairs and knock myself out on the top step like I do every time I get on one!

Pages (25) Previous 123 24 25 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average