Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (21) Previous 119 20 21 Next
28 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm #381
(28 Nov 2019, 11:08 pm)Malarkey Absolute joke that the 309 is not running on boxing day, how do Go North East expect those such as myself to get to work on the Cobalt with no buses running.

Guess i'll have to walk from the Jolly Bowman into work which is just shy of a half hour walk according to Google Maps.

Could the Metro to Northumberland Park not shave some time off your walk?
omnicity4659
28 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm #381

(28 Nov 2019, 11:08 pm)Malarkey Absolute joke that the 309 is not running on boxing day, how do Go North East expect those such as myself to get to work on the Cobalt with no buses running.

Guess i'll have to walk from the Jolly Bowman into work which is just shy of a half hour walk according to Google Maps.

Could the Metro to Northumberland Park not shave some time off your walk?

V514DFT

29 Nov 2019, 1:47 am #382
(28 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm)omnicity4659 Could the Metro to Northumberland Park not shave some time off your walk?
 It would depend on where he lives

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
29 Nov 2019, 1:47 am #382

(28 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm)omnicity4659 Could the Metro to Northumberland Park not shave some time off your walk?
 It would depend on where he lives

Kind Regards
Tez

GNE6312

29 Nov 2019, 7:13 am #383

Prehaps because the drivers actually have families and actually want to spend time with them over Christmas. Anyway arriva usually have the 308 & 306 running on boxing day
GNE6312
29 Nov 2019, 7:13 am #383

Prehaps because the drivers actually have families and actually want to spend time with them over Christmas. Anyway arriva usually have the 308 & 306 running on boxing day

29 Nov 2019, 10:04 am #384
(29 Nov 2019, 7:13 am)GNE6312 Prehaps because the drivers actually have families and actually want to spend time with them over Christmas. Anyway arriva usually have the 308 & 306 running on boxing day
Why would anybody want to do that?!

Plus, there's no reason why boxing day shouldn't be just treated like any other bank holiday, I know a lot of people who want to work boxing day, either because of the bonus or to get away from the family!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 10:04 am #384

(29 Nov 2019, 7:13 am)GNE6312 Prehaps because the drivers actually have families and actually want to spend time with them over Christmas. Anyway arriva usually have the 308 & 306 running on boxing day
Why would anybody want to do that?!

Plus, there's no reason why boxing day shouldn't be just treated like any other bank holiday, I know a lot of people who want to work boxing day, either because of the bonus or to get away from the family!

29 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm #385
(29 Nov 2019, 10:04 am)streetdeckfan Why would anybody want to do that?!

I certainly wouldn't work Boxing Day... and I have bigger things than buses to work with! 

I believe that Boxing Day is still a voluntary thing, and nobody is hauled into work against their will, so GNE can only work with how many drivers are willing to work. And going off the service level, I think that should answer your question as to who wants to spend time off work...!
omnicity4659
29 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm #385

(29 Nov 2019, 10:04 am)streetdeckfan Why would anybody want to do that?!

I certainly wouldn't work Boxing Day... and I have bigger things than buses to work with! 

I believe that Boxing Day is still a voluntary thing, and nobody is hauled into work against their will, so GNE can only work with how many drivers are willing to work. And going off the service level, I think that should answer your question as to who wants to spend time off work...!

Andreos1

29 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm #386
(29 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm)omnicity4659 I certainly wouldn't work Boxing Day... and I have bigger things than buses to work with! 

Isn't it time that drivers started to be viewed along the lines of retail staff and other members of the service sector? 
Not meaning to be derogatory to any sector, but the difference between a person on a till in a shop or a bar and a person on a ticketer in a bus, can essentially be split down in to one difference and that is one is driving a vehicle. 

The long gone ambassador/Gtom said (and I agree), is that a driver is working within the service industry. I agree.
Other members of the service sector (bar staff, retail etc) are working. Why not bus drivers?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm #386

(29 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm)omnicity4659 I certainly wouldn't work Boxing Day... and I have bigger things than buses to work with! 

Isn't it time that drivers started to be viewed along the lines of retail staff and other members of the service sector? 
Not meaning to be derogatory to any sector, but the difference between a person on a till in a shop or a bar and a person on a ticketer in a bus, can essentially be split down in to one difference and that is one is driving a vehicle. 

The long gone ambassador/Gtom said (and I agree), is that a driver is working within the service industry. I agree.
Other members of the service sector (bar staff, retail etc) are working. Why not bus drivers?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

29 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm #387
(29 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 Isn't it time that drivers started to be viewed along the lines of retail staff and other members of the service sector? 

That's something we can both agree on.

Bus drivers aren't special, if anything they should have less of a right to a day off because without them other people who rely on the bus can't get to work, see family, get food from the shops

streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm #387

(29 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 Isn't it time that drivers started to be viewed along the lines of retail staff and other members of the service sector? 

That's something we can both agree on.

Bus drivers aren't special, if anything they should have less of a right to a day off because without them other people who rely on the bus can't get to work, see family, get food from the shops

Stanleyone

29 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm #388
(29 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm)streetdeckfan That's something we can both agree on.

You are taking the p**s, maybe you should get yourself a licence and try driving a bus then come back with stupid comments if you believe in what you write. Never heard so much rubbish in your recent posts.
Stanleyone
29 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm #388

(29 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm)streetdeckfan That's something we can both agree on.

You are taking the p**s, maybe you should get yourself a licence and try driving a bus then come back with stupid comments if you believe in what you write. Never heard so much rubbish in your recent posts.

29 Nov 2019, 2:31 pm #389
The 306 hasn't operated on Boxing Day for several years. Up to last year from the Coast there were the 308, 309 and 310.
Ex-conductor
29 Nov 2019, 2:31 pm #389

The 306 hasn't operated on Boxing Day for several years. Up to last year from the Coast there were the 308, 309 and 310.

29 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm #390
(29 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm)Stanleyone You are taking the p**s, maybe you should get yourself a licence and try driving a bus then come back with stupid comments if you believe in what you write. Never heard so much rubbish in your recent posts.
I stand by my comment. In my eyes, a bus driver is no different from a cashier in a supermarket, except instead of scanning items, you drive a bus.
Both are relatively unskilled jobs (in that anyone could do the job with a bit of training, you don't need to be highly qualified), both earn around the same, both require good people skills, both 'sit around' all day, and people rely on both to 'survive'.

streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm #390

(29 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm)Stanleyone You are taking the p**s, maybe you should get yourself a licence and try driving a bus then come back with stupid comments if you believe in what you write. Never heard so much rubbish in your recent posts.
I stand by my comment. In my eyes, a bus driver is no different from a cashier in a supermarket, except instead of scanning items, you drive a bus.
Both are relatively unskilled jobs (in that anyone could do the job with a bit of training, you don't need to be highly qualified), both earn around the same, both require good people skills, both 'sit around' all day, and people rely on both to 'survive'.

Stanleyone

29 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm #391
(29 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm)streetdeckfan I stand by my comment. In my eyes, a bus driver is no different from a cashier in a supermarket, except instead of scanning items, you drive a bus.

You clearly have no idea what driving a bus involves and how much training goes into becoming a bus driver, so please do not bunch us as unskilled, it is rather insulting. Please do enlighten the group exactly what it is you do.
Stanleyone
29 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm #391

(29 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm)streetdeckfan I stand by my comment. In my eyes, a bus driver is no different from a cashier in a supermarket, except instead of scanning items, you drive a bus.

You clearly have no idea what driving a bus involves and how much training goes into becoming a bus driver, so please do not bunch us as unskilled, it is rather insulting. Please do enlighten the group exactly what it is you do.

Michael

29 Nov 2019, 4:44 pm #392

What about other jobs then?, are all of them the same?, because i work in education, its not a easy job, trust me!

You clearly have no idea what happens in the real world, do you work?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Nov 2019, 4:44 pm #392

What about other jobs then?, are all of them the same?, because i work in education, its not a easy job, trust me!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

RM2186

29 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm #393
Maybe train drivers and metro drivers should have their salaries reduced to match that of unskilled bus drivers too, after all, they don't even have to steer and avoid idiots on roads like bus drivers do.

I have in the past been a company director of some major blue chip companies in my earlier career and I can assure you there is nothing simple or unskilled in driving a bus. I have driven buses for the last 10 years having decided one redundancy too many had occurred.

This forum just astounds me at times with some of the comments made. As said, instead of moaning, try it yourself before demeaning the role.
RM2186
29 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm #393

Maybe train drivers and metro drivers should have their salaries reduced to match that of unskilled bus drivers too, after all, they don't even have to steer and avoid idiots on roads like bus drivers do.

I have in the past been a company director of some major blue chip companies in my earlier career and I can assure you there is nothing simple or unskilled in driving a bus. I have driven buses for the last 10 years having decided one redundancy too many had occurred.

This forum just astounds me at times with some of the comments made. As said, instead of moaning, try it yourself before demeaning the role.

29 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm #394
(29 Nov 2019, 4:44 pm)Michael What about other jobs then?, are all of them the same?, because i work in education, its not a easy job, trust me!

(29 Nov 2019, 4:44 pm)Michael What about other jobs then?, are all of them the same?, because i work in education, its not a easy job, trust me!

And to work in education you need to be highly qualified, you need to spend years in University getting a degree in your relevant field.

To work as a bus driver, you need to be able to drive a bus.
How long on average does it take from applying for the job to driving a bus with passengers, assuming no previous experience other than having a driving license? (Genuine question)

streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm #394

And to work in education you need to be highly qualified, you need to spend years in University getting a degree in your relevant field.

How long on average does it take from applying for the job to driving a bus with passengers, assuming no previous experience other than having a driving license? (Genuine question)

Stanleyone

29 Nov 2019, 5:21 pm #395
(29 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm)streetdeckfan And to work in education you need to be highly qualified, you need to spend years in University getting a degree in your relevant field.

Some teachers have gone via the pgce route (if memory serves, Michael correct me if I’m wrong ) 1 years classroom work as opposed to the 4 years of university. Both routes lead to the same outcome, trainee bus drivers take 7 weeks training and 1 years continuous mentoring, so in theory it takes 7 weeks longer to be totally alone as a bus driver than a pgce trained teacher.
Stanleyone
29 Nov 2019, 5:21 pm #395

(29 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm)streetdeckfan And to work in education you need to be highly qualified, you need to spend years in University getting a degree in your relevant field.

Some teachers have gone via the pgce route (if memory serves, Michael correct me if I’m wrong ) 1 years classroom work as opposed to the 4 years of university. Both routes lead to the same outcome, trainee bus drivers take 7 weeks training and 1 years continuous mentoring, so in theory it takes 7 weeks longer to be totally alone as a bus driver than a pgce trained teacher.

Michael

29 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm #396
(29 Nov 2019, 5:21 pm)Stanleyone Some teachers have gone via the pgce route (if memory serves, Michael correct me if I’m wrong ) 1 years classroom work as opposed to the 4 years of university. Both routes lead to the same outcome, trainee bus drivers take 7 weeks training and 1 years continuous mentoring, so in theory it takes 7 weeks longer to be totally alone as a bus driver than a pgce trained teacher.

I know a few people who have gone the PGCE way, but i'm not entirely sure what it entitles, sure it changed September this year! (like most things do!)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm #396

(29 Nov 2019, 5:21 pm)Stanleyone Some teachers have gone via the pgce route (if memory serves, Michael correct me if I’m wrong ) 1 years classroom work as opposed to the 4 years of university. Both routes lead to the same outcome, trainee bus drivers take 7 weeks training and 1 years continuous mentoring, so in theory it takes 7 weeks longer to be totally alone as a bus driver than a pgce trained teacher.

I know a few people who have gone the PGCE way, but i'm not entirely sure what it entitles, sure it changed September this year! (like most things do!)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

29 Nov 2019, 5:54 pm #397
(29 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm)Michael I know a few people who have gone the PGCE way, but i'm not entirely sure what it entitles, sure it changed September this year! (like most things do!)
That's quite interesting, I have a few friends who went into teaching and they all went the university way.

Anywho, if we can get off this subject (which, granted, I started...)

Today was probably the worst day to go on an impromptu trip up north, I didn't realise people still went out for Black Friday!
Not a single bus I've been on today has been on time

streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 5:54 pm #397

(29 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm)Michael I know a few people who have gone the PGCE way, but i'm not entirely sure what it entitles, sure it changed September this year! (like most things do!)
That's quite interesting, I have a few friends who went into teaching and they all went the university way.

Anywho, if we can get off this subject (which, granted, I started...)

Today was probably the worst day to go on an impromptu trip up north, I didn't realise people still went out for Black Friday!
Not a single bus I've been on today has been on time

29 Nov 2019, 6:03 pm #398
It's not just training, there is also the responsibility for controlling a large vehicle and keeping the passengers safe.

I'm sure you are just on here to troll sometimes Streetdeckfan. You haven't even answered the question of what someone posted to you about what do you do for a job.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
29 Nov 2019, 6:03 pm #398

It's not just training, there is also the responsibility for controlling a large vehicle and keeping the passengers safe.

I'm sure you are just on here to troll sometimes Streetdeckfan. You haven't even answered the question of what someone posted to you about what do you do for a job.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

29 Nov 2019, 6:06 pm #399
(29 Nov 2019, 6:03 pm)Rapidsnap It's not just training, there is also the responsibility for controlling a large vehicle and keeping the passengers safe.

Well, there is that as well.

I mean, I am partial go a good troll...

The reason I avoided that question is because maybe I didn't want to answer it. But to answer it as vaguely as possible I work in 'market research' and 'events management'

streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2019, 6:06 pm #399

(29 Nov 2019, 6:03 pm)Rapidsnap It's not just training, there is also the responsibility for controlling a large vehicle and keeping the passengers safe.

Well, there is that as well.

I mean, I am partial go a good troll...

The reason I avoided that question is because maybe I didn't want to answer it. But to answer it as vaguely as possible I work in 'market research' and 'events management'

pbjd

29 Nov 2019, 6:20 pm #400
Drivers tend to spend around 4 weeks with their mentor, not a year??
pbjd
29 Nov 2019, 6:20 pm #400

Drivers tend to spend around 4 weeks with their mentor, not a year??

Pages (21) Previous 119 20 21 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average