Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (21) Previous 1 2 3 421 Next
07 Nov 2019, 4:10 pm #41
(07 Nov 2019, 4:02 pm)Andreos1

Seems it will be Saturday now.

Seen the other replies after posting this, should’ve read it properly

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
07 Nov 2019, 4:10 pm #41

(07 Nov 2019, 4:02 pm)Andreos1

Seems it will be Saturday now.

Seen the other replies after posting this, should’ve read it properly

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

L469 YVK

07 Nov 2019, 4:24 pm #42

(07 Nov 2019, 4:07 pm)Stanleyone

[quote="streetdeckfan" pid='235801' dateline='1573142636']
Then on Saturday it'll be Sunday!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
[/quote

They don’t operate on a Sunday, Currently 5x Diamond Streetlites used on X5/16A/X30 unless they decide otherwise

To keep the spec to a good standard during the evenings, could the allocation on the 6 / X30 be swapped for Green Arrow E200MMCs when the 6 boards pass the Metrocentre?

L469 YVK
07 Nov 2019, 4:24 pm #42

[/quote

They don’t operate on a Sunday, Currently 5x Diamond Streetlites used on X5/16A/X30 unless they decide otherwise

To keep the spec to a good standard during the evenings, could the allocation on the 6 / X30 be swapped for Green Arrow E200MMCs when the 6 boards pass the Metrocentre?

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 4:32 pm #43

That's still the plan - for now, at least.

Passenger numbers to be monitored, and, should such a time arise where there has been sufficient growth and double-deck would be warranted, will be swapped for the five E400MMCs.

Dan
07 Nov 2019, 4:32 pm #43

Passenger numbers to be monitored, and, should such a time arise where there has been sufficient growth and double-deck would be warranted, will be swapped for the five E400MMCs.

07 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm #44

(07 Nov 2019, 4:32 pm)Dan

Is there much of a difference in the running costs between the Streetlites and the E400s?

I've always found it strange that they run deckers on the X21 at night. From my experience there's definitely not enough passengers to warrant a double decker!

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm #44

(07 Nov 2019, 4:32 pm)Dan

Is there much of a difference in the running costs between the Streetlites and the E400s?

I've always found it strange that they run deckers on the X21 at night. From my experience there's definitely not enough passengers to warrant a double decker!

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 4:57 pm #45

(07 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm)streetdeckfan

We'll find out the true answer to that once we start running the E400s.

The difficulty with the X21 is that it's a cross-town service. There's no where you can stop running a double-deck and start running a single-deck, both efficiently and without causing disruption to customers' journeys with a changeover.

With other services like the 60, they terminate in Park Lane Interchange, so you can quite easily have another vehicle step in on an evening.

Dan
07 Nov 2019, 4:57 pm #45

(07 Nov 2019, 4:51 pm)streetdeckfan

The difficulty with the X21 is that it's a cross-town service. There's no where you can stop running a double-deck and start running a single-deck, both efficiently and without causing disruption to customers' journeys with a changeover.

With other services like the 60, they terminate in Park Lane Interchange, so you can quite easily have another vehicle step in on an evening.

07 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm #46

[/quote

this is my issue with branding, fully understand from a business point of view why different buses are allocated on Evenings/Sundays. It makes complete sense. However spending thousands on branding and then ditching it at a certain time of day or a full day seems counterproductive.

Again, fully understand why this happens and I'm sure many companies operate with the exact same profile, it just dilutes your own objective. Not saying the buses that deputise during less busy periods aren't suitable, as a normal customer I would be slightly confused If I left for work in the morning on one of these amazing double deckers and then finished work late evening to get on a bus branded for a different area that's not as flash.

Some people would care, others just want to get from A to B and don't really care.

Arcticrossy92
07 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm #46

[/quote

this is my issue with branding, fully understand from a business point of view why different buses are allocated on Evenings/Sundays. It makes complete sense. However spending thousands on branding and then ditching it at a certain time of day or a full day seems counterproductive.

Again, fully understand why this happens and I'm sure many companies operate with the exact same profile, it just dilutes your own objective. Not saying the buses that deputise during less busy periods aren't suitable, as a normal customer I would be slightly confused If I left for work in the morning on one of these amazing double deckers and then finished work late evening to get on a bus branded for a different area that's not as flash.

Some people would care, others just want to get from A to B and don't really care.

07 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm #47

(07 Nov 2019, 4:57 pm)Dan

On an evening the X21 runs as a 21 to Durham, so to me it wouldn't be much of a hassle to just change over at Durham and have 2 Streetlites going between Bishop and Durham.  I'd also ditch the X21 and renumber it on an evening to the 21B since it's not express either

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm #47

(07 Nov 2019, 4:57 pm)Dan

On an evening the X21 runs as a 21 to Durham, so to me it wouldn't be much of a hassle to just change over at Durham and have 2 Streetlites going between Bishop and Durham.  I'd also ditch the X21 and renumber it on an evening to the 21B since it's not express either

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 5:36 pm #48

(07 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm)streetdeckfan

You'd then have the issue of remote reliefs at Durham on evenings though - there'd be a greater cost associated with this.

Dan
07 Nov 2019, 5:36 pm #48

(07 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm)streetdeckfan

You'd then have the issue of remote reliefs at Durham on evenings though - there'd be a greater cost associated with this.

07 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm #49
(07 Nov 2019, 5:36 pm)Dan

True. I suppose the fuel savings would no where near make up for it.

On another note, are the windows on the E200s actually made from glass? Theres a good 20mm of deflection when I lean up against it. Either that or they cheaper out and went with extremely thin glass!

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm #49

True. I suppose the fuel savings would no where near make up for it.

On another note, are the windows on the E200s actually made from glass? Theres a good 20mm of deflection when I lean up against it. Either that or they cheaper out and went with extremely thin glass!

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm #50

(07 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm)streetdeckfan True. I suppose the fuel savings would no where near make up for it.

All of GNE's ADL intake this year feature ADL's patented 'QRG' (quick-release glazing) windows.

It ordinarily takes around 3 hours to replace a normal glass window, but this significantly reduces time (less than one hour). ADL claim it can be done in 3 minutes but I wouldn't be so sure!

Dan
07 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm #50

(07 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm)streetdeckfan True. I suppose the fuel savings would no where near make up for it.

All of GNE's ADL intake this year feature ADL's patented 'QRG' (quick-release glazing) windows.

It ordinarily takes around 3 hours to replace a normal glass window, but this significantly reduces time (less than one hour). ADL claim it can be done in 3 minutes but I wouldn't be so sure!

07 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm #51
(07 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm)Dan

So that's why it's so flimsy and creaky over bumps then!
It honestly feels like if I lean against it like I would normally I'd go straight through!

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm #51

(07 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm)Dan

So that's why it's so flimsy and creaky over bumps then!
It honestly feels like if I lean against it like I would normally I'd go straight through!

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm #52

(07 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan So that's why it's so flimsy and creaky over bumps then!

Yes, indeed.

Most operators specify ADLs with this type of window. For me it sounds quite 'tinny' whilst driving on rough road surfaces. I've never been particularly keen, but it's been specified on this year's order to get a feel for the system. There's a balance we need to get between operator convenience and passenger comfort, QRG is obviously quoted to be better for bus companies, but normal windows would be better for passengers in that they're a bit less 'tinny'.

Dan
07 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm #52

(07 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan So that's why it's so flimsy and creaky over bumps then!

Yes, indeed.

Most operators specify ADLs with this type of window. For me it sounds quite 'tinny' whilst driving on rough road surfaces. I've never been particularly keen, but it's been specified on this year's order to get a feel for the system. There's a balance we need to get between operator convenience and passenger comfort, QRG is obviously quoted to be better for bus companies, but normal windows would be better for passengers in that they're a bit less 'tinny'.

07 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm #53
(07 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm)Dan

Yes, indeed.

How often do GNE replace broken windows? Surely it can't be often enough to really benefit from the faster replacement time (and presumably increase initial cost)
I really liked GNE's E200s, I know it sounds petty but honestly the windows alone have put me off them. They just sound and feel like they're not put together properly, and other than the windows there's actually very little rattle!

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm #53

(07 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm)Dan

Yes, indeed.

How often do GNE replace broken windows? Surely it can't be often enough to really benefit from the faster replacement time (and presumably increase initial cost)
I really liked GNE's E200s, I know it sounds petty but honestly the windows alone have put me off them. They just sound and feel like they're not put together properly, and other than the windows there's actually very little rattle!

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm #54
(07 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm)streetdeckfan How often do GNE replace broken windows? Surely it can't be often enough to really benefit from the faster replacement time (and presumably increase initial cost)

You'd be surprised at the amount of vandalism...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
07 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm #54

(07 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm)streetdeckfan How often do GNE replace broken windows? Surely it can't be often enough to really benefit from the faster replacement time (and presumably increase initial cost)

You'd be surprised at the amount of vandalism...

07 Nov 2019, 9:03 pm #55
(07 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm)Dan You'd be surprised at the amount of vandalism...

I tend to not visit places where vandalism is a thing, although I did have to visit Sunderland recently

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 9:03 pm #55

(07 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm)Dan You'd be surprised at the amount of vandalism...

I tend to not visit places where vandalism is a thing, although I did have to visit Sunderland recently

Michael

07 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm #56
(07 Nov 2019, 9:03 pm)streetdeckfan I tend to not visit places where vandalism is a thing, although I did have to visit Sunderland recently

So you go no where then? Because vandalism is everywhere

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm #56

(07 Nov 2019, 9:03 pm)streetdeckfan I tend to not visit places where vandalism is a thing, although I did have to visit Sunderland recently

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm #57
(07 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm)Michael
It was more of a dig at Sunderland than anything.
Having said that, the most vandalism I've ever seen was someone throwing an egg at the window.

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm #57

(07 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm)Michael
It was more of a dig at Sunderland than anything.
Having said that, the most vandalism I've ever seen was someone throwing an egg at the window.

Andreos1

07 Nov 2019, 10:11 pm #58

(07 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm)streetdeckfan It was more of a dig at Sunderland than anything.

Did it crack?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Nov 2019, 10:11 pm #58

(07 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm)streetdeckfan It was more of a dig at Sunderland than anything.

Did it crack?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

07 Nov 2019, 10:21 pm #59

(07 Nov 2019, 10:11 pm)Andreos1

Did it crack?

The egg yes, the window no. Although it didn't get cleaned off for a few days!

streetdeckfan
07 Nov 2019, 10:21 pm #59

(07 Nov 2019, 10:11 pm)Andreos1

Did it crack?

The egg yes, the window no. Although it didn't get cleaned off for a few days!

Jamie M

08 Nov 2019, 9:49 am #60

Could throw a single from 25 on to it at town, the decker going the other way. Bit of crossbranding. Though I'm confident that the allocation will always end up as a euro 4 decker lol.

Jamie M
08 Nov 2019, 9:49 am #60

Could throw a single from 25 on to it at town, the decker going the other way. Bit of crossbranding. Though I'm confident that the allocation will always end up as a euro 4 decker lol.

Pages (21) Previous 1 2 3 421 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average