Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28): Previous 1 2 328 Next
03 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm #21
(03 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm)streetdeckfan I do hope when the the NSAs for the X21 come back there's a greater emphasis that it's an express service. Yet another passenger has thought they could get off on Durham Road and had ended up in Chester le Street

Perhaps something along the lines of "This is the Xlines X21 service to Durham, this is a limited stop service between Newcastle and Chester le Street, stopping only at Gateshead Interchange and Low Fell - The Canon."
Then for the Bishop bound services it could continue
"This service will carry on to West Auckland, calling at Spennymoor, Bishop Auckland and Tindale Crescent Retail Park"

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The X-Lines NSAs do that on the X6/X7, and similar on the X9|X10 so it’s possible that will happen.
deanmachine
03 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm #21

(03 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm)streetdeckfan I do hope when the the NSAs for the X21 come back there's a greater emphasis that it's an express service. Yet another passenger has thought they could get off on Durham Road and had ended up in Chester le Street

Perhaps something along the lines of "This is the Xlines X21 service to Durham, this is a limited stop service between Newcastle and Chester le Street, stopping only at Gateshead Interchange and Low Fell - The Canon."
Then for the Bishop bound services it could continue
"This service will carry on to West Auckland, calling at Spennymoor, Bishop Auckland and Tindale Crescent Retail Park"

The X-Lines NSAs do that on the X6/X7, and similar on the X9|X10 so it’s possible that will happen.

03 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm #22
(03 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm)deanmachine The X-Lines NSAs do that on the X6/X7, and similar on the X9|X10 so it’s possible that will happen.
I always thought it was strange they didn't have something like that on the X21 when it was Castles Express as that part of the route hasn't changed.

I heard something similar on the X9/X10 back when I could use it. Although iirc on there they say how long the journey takes, I'd imagine they wouldn't want to say it takes 2 hours to get to West Auckland

streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm #22

(03 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm)deanmachine The X-Lines NSAs do that on the X6/X7, and similar on the X9|X10 so it’s possible that will happen.
I always thought it was strange they didn't have something like that on the X21 when it was Castles Express as that part of the route hasn't changed.

I heard something similar on the X9/X10 back when I could use it. Although iirc on there they say how long the journey takes, I'd imagine they wouldn't want to say it takes 2 hours to get to West Auckland

03 Jan 2020, 4:18 pm #23
Solo 641 is on X46's today. A shortage of full size buses at Consett perhaps?
Olympian3521
03 Jan 2020, 4:18 pm #23

Solo 641 is on X46's today. A shortage of full size buses at Consett perhaps?

03 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm #24
When does the 3-4 day ticket for part-time workers trial start? I can't find the discussion on it on here, but read it recently. I assume this is for 3-4 consecutive days?
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm #24

When does the 3-4 day ticket for part-time workers trial start? I can't find the discussion on it on here, but read it recently. I assume this is for 3-4 consecutive days?

03 Jan 2020, 5:33 pm #25
(03 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 When does the 3-4 day ticket for part-time workers trial start? I can't find the discussion on it on here, but read it recently. I assume this is for 3-4 consecutive days?

We don't know, it hasn't been formally announced yet, just something MG tweeted about it coming soon
streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2020, 5:33 pm #25

(03 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 When does the 3-4 day ticket for part-time workers trial start? I can't find the discussion on it on here, but read it recently. I assume this is for 3-4 consecutive days?

We don't know, it hasn't been formally announced yet, just something MG tweeted about it coming soon

03 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm #26
(03 Jan 2020, 5:33 pm)streetdeckfan We don't know, it hasn't been formally announced yet, just something MG tweeted about it coming soon

Where is the post on here about it? I can't find it! Hopefully it will be another improvement by GNE. I have no idea why they haven't implemented the idea of buying numbers of trips like Reading Buses does, and did under MG before he became MD at GNE. I think it makes sense, rather than consecutive days, for many weeks, months or all year - just a number of trips for days passengers want to actually use the bus. I regularly travel on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so the current ticket offer does not adequately cater to my needs. I currently buy day tickets, or returns with GNE, Stagecoach and Stanley Travel. In Reading, I would be able to purchase blocks of trips, say 10, to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday three weeks consecutively and  maybe a Thursday or a Saturday one week. The new 3-day ticket or whatever might help on a week I am out and travelling with GNE on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but a number of trips system would still be much better, and it works very well in Reading. Perhaps if GNE offered a 3 or 4 day ticket and the days could be any 3 or 4 days in the week that would be a good idea. I fully support the 24-hour ticket which helps with travelling on 2 consecutive days, and offers better value for passengers who travel later in the day. I think introducing the 24 hour ticket, which covers 2 consecutive days means a 3 or 4 day ticket being valid for travel on a 3 or 4 days in 7 in sensible. Peter Hogg offers a 10 journey ticket, which is sensible, and this could work on GNE, for days rather than journeys.

GNE is the best ever bus operator, great service, very smart and tidy buses with excellent features, and great value for money. The 74 has become very unreliable of late, having previously been very reliable, so it would be great if GNE could sort that out. It has been unreliable for a good few months now, I think since around September. 

I see the X85 has changed time on just one trip from Newcastle from 26th January, meaning an X85 and then X84 are just 10 minutes apart, strange idea. 

Hopefully GNE will introduce more services in the West End of Newcastle in the future - but I am proud of GNE not saturating the market and making the roads busy with too many buses. On the West Road they only have the X84 and X85 (plus the workers service 941), whereas Stagecoach has 7 services: 1, 10/11, 39/40, 685 and X82, plus the 38A and 991. When I travel from Denton Burn, a Stagecoach bus always comes first because they put too many buses on the road. I respect GNE running less buses, even though it means a longer wait. GNE is better value for money for my travel needs, so is worth the wait. I don't remember GNE operating through Denton Burn prior to services X84/X85 being introduced.
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm #26

(03 Jan 2020, 5:33 pm)streetdeckfan We don't know, it hasn't been formally announced yet, just something MG tweeted about it coming soon

Where is the post on here about it? I can't find it! Hopefully it will be another improvement by GNE. I have no idea why they haven't implemented the idea of buying numbers of trips like Reading Buses does, and did under MG before he became MD at GNE. I think it makes sense, rather than consecutive days, for many weeks, months or all year - just a number of trips for days passengers want to actually use the bus. I regularly travel on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so the current ticket offer does not adequately cater to my needs. I currently buy day tickets, or returns with GNE, Stagecoach and Stanley Travel. In Reading, I would be able to purchase blocks of trips, say 10, to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday three weeks consecutively and  maybe a Thursday or a Saturday one week. The new 3-day ticket or whatever might help on a week I am out and travelling with GNE on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but a number of trips system would still be much better, and it works very well in Reading. Perhaps if GNE offered a 3 or 4 day ticket and the days could be any 3 or 4 days in the week that would be a good idea. I fully support the 24-hour ticket which helps with travelling on 2 consecutive days, and offers better value for passengers who travel later in the day. I think introducing the 24 hour ticket, which covers 2 consecutive days means a 3 or 4 day ticket being valid for travel on a 3 or 4 days in 7 in sensible. Peter Hogg offers a 10 journey ticket, which is sensible, and this could work on GNE, for days rather than journeys.

GNE is the best ever bus operator, great service, very smart and tidy buses with excellent features, and great value for money. The 74 has become very unreliable of late, having previously been very reliable, so it would be great if GNE could sort that out. It has been unreliable for a good few months now, I think since around September. 

I see the X85 has changed time on just one trip from Newcastle from 26th January, meaning an X85 and then X84 are just 10 minutes apart, strange idea. 

Hopefully GNE will introduce more services in the West End of Newcastle in the future - but I am proud of GNE not saturating the market and making the roads busy with too many buses. On the West Road they only have the X84 and X85 (plus the workers service 941), whereas Stagecoach has 7 services: 1, 10/11, 39/40, 685 and X82, plus the 38A and 991. When I travel from Denton Burn, a Stagecoach bus always comes first because they put too many buses on the road. I respect GNE running less buses, even though it means a longer wait. GNE is better value for money for my travel needs, so is worth the wait. I don't remember GNE operating through Denton Burn prior to services X84/X85 being introduced.

04 Jan 2020, 1:15 am #27
(03 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Where is the post on here about it? I can't find it! Hopefully it will be another improvement by GNE. I have no idea why they haven't implemented the idea of buying numbers of trips like Reading Buses does, and did under MG before he became MD at GNE. I think it makes sense, rather than consecutive days, for many weeks, months or all year - just a number of trips for days passengers want to actually use the bus. I regularly travel on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so the current ticket offer does not adequately cater to my needs. I currently buy day tickets, or returns with GNE, Stagecoach and Stanley Travel. In Reading, I would be able to purchase blocks of trips, say 10, to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday three weeks consecutively and  maybe a Thursday or a Saturday one week. The new 3-day ticket or whatever might help on a week I am out and travelling with GNE on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but a number of trips system would still be much better, and it works very well in Reading. Perhaps if GNE offered a 3 or 4 day ticket and the days could be any 3 or 4 days in the week that would be a good idea. I fully support the 24-hour ticket which helps with travelling on 2 consecutive days, and offers better value for passengers who travel later in the day. I think introducing the 24 hour ticket, which covers 2 consecutive days means a 3 or 4 day ticket being valid for travel on a 3 or 4 days in 7 in sensible. Peter Hogg offers a 10 journey ticket, which is sensible, and this could work on GNE, for days rather than journeys.

GNE used to offer such a ticket for young people a few years back on either the key or on the old app as I used to buy it regularly when I wasn't travelling every day
Going through my old receipts it looks like it was £10.38 for 3 separate day tickets, at a time when a day ticket was £3.75
streetdeckfan
04 Jan 2020, 1:15 am #27

(03 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Where is the post on here about it? I can't find it! Hopefully it will be another improvement by GNE. I have no idea why they haven't implemented the idea of buying numbers of trips like Reading Buses does, and did under MG before he became MD at GNE. I think it makes sense, rather than consecutive days, for many weeks, months or all year - just a number of trips for days passengers want to actually use the bus. I regularly travel on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so the current ticket offer does not adequately cater to my needs. I currently buy day tickets, or returns with GNE, Stagecoach and Stanley Travel. In Reading, I would be able to purchase blocks of trips, say 10, to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday three weeks consecutively and  maybe a Thursday or a Saturday one week. The new 3-day ticket or whatever might help on a week I am out and travelling with GNE on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but a number of trips system would still be much better, and it works very well in Reading. Perhaps if GNE offered a 3 or 4 day ticket and the days could be any 3 or 4 days in the week that would be a good idea. I fully support the 24-hour ticket which helps with travelling on 2 consecutive days, and offers better value for passengers who travel later in the day. I think introducing the 24 hour ticket, which covers 2 consecutive days means a 3 or 4 day ticket being valid for travel on a 3 or 4 days in 7 in sensible. Peter Hogg offers a 10 journey ticket, which is sensible, and this could work on GNE, for days rather than journeys.

GNE used to offer such a ticket for young people a few years back on either the key or on the old app as I used to buy it regularly when I wasn't travelling every day
Going through my old receipts it looks like it was £10.38 for 3 separate day tickets, at a time when a day ticket was £3.75

04 Jan 2020, 2:07 am #28
(04 Jan 2020, 1:15 am)streetdeckfan GNE used to offer such a ticket for young people a few years back on either the key or on the old app as I used to buy it regularly when I wasn't travelling every day

I wonder if they will offer such a ticket again in the future...

I would like to see GNE introduce a multiple day ticket discount, it would be an incentive for passengers to loyally travel with them every day they go out, rather than buying a day ticket on Arriva or Stagecoach. Admittedly as you sometimes need a particular operator to go to a particular destination it won't always work, but I think something between a day ticket and weekly pass is sorely needed. Bus operators appear to rip off the occasional commuter, only caring about regular bus users or charging infrequent users every day for a day ticket, which soon adds up.

(04 Jan 2020, 2:07 am)OrangeArrow49 I wonder if they will offer such a ticket again in the future...

I would like to see GNE introduce a multiple day ticket discount, it would be an incentive for passengers to loyally travel with them every day they go out, rather than buying a day ticket on Arriva or Stagecoach. Admittedly as you sometimes need a particular operator to go to a particular destination it won't always work, but I think something between a day ticket and weekly pass is sorely needed. Bus operators appear to rip off the occasional commuter, only caring about regular bus users or charging infrequent users every day for a day ticket, which soon adds up.

EDIT - infrequent bus users and quite frequent bus users, but not 5 or more days in 7. Bus fares are certainly not fair!
Edited 04 Jan 2020, 2:09 am by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 2:07 am #28

(04 Jan 2020, 1:15 am)streetdeckfan GNE used to offer such a ticket for young people a few years back on either the key or on the old app as I used to buy it regularly when I wasn't travelling every day

I wonder if they will offer such a ticket again in the future...

(04 Jan 2020, 2:07 am)OrangeArrow49 I wonder if they will offer such a ticket again in the future...

EDIT - infrequent bus users and quite frequent bus users, but not 5 or more days in 7. Bus fares are certainly not fair!

V514DFT

04 Jan 2020, 3:33 am #29
Pffft i wouldnt count on Stagecoach introducing any new services in the West End, its like gold dust when it comes to them introducing new services now

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
04 Jan 2020, 3:33 am #29

Pffft i wouldnt count on Stagecoach introducing any new services in the West End, its like gold dust when it comes to them introducing new services now

Kind Regards
Tez

04 Jan 2020, 5:07 am #30

I use GNE services pretty much every day as I don't drive. The issue that I have is that I happen to live in the middle of Arriva territory, and frequently travel to the middle of GNE territory, so for me it's lucky that GNE still run the X21! If GNE start to run the X21 to West Auckland on a Sunday, that will basically cut my reliance on Arriva to visiting family in Crook, but as it stands I have no choice but to travel Arriva.

At the minute, a travelling within a single zone 3 times a week costs £15.90, which is £63.60 a month. If you travel 4 days a week in a single zone, it's cheaper to buy a 28 day ticket for £75 a month.

What I can see happening is the One Zone 3 day ticket costing £12 and the All Zone 3 day ticket costing £16. That would represent a saving of around 25% over the price of the day tickets.
Although MG said the discount would be proportional, I can't see the price being any lower as that would make the cost of a 3 day ticket less than 2 day tickets
streetdeckfan
04 Jan 2020, 5:07 am #30

I use GNE services pretty much every day as I don't drive. The issue that I have is that I happen to live in the middle of Arriva territory, and frequently travel to the middle of GNE territory, so for me it's lucky that GNE still run the X21! If GNE start to run the X21 to West Auckland on a Sunday, that will basically cut my reliance on Arriva to visiting family in Crook, but as it stands I have no choice but to travel Arriva.

At the minute, a travelling within a single zone 3 times a week costs £15.90, which is £63.60 a month. If you travel 4 days a week in a single zone, it's cheaper to buy a 28 day ticket for £75 a month.

What I can see happening is the One Zone 3 day ticket costing £12 and the All Zone 3 day ticket costing £16. That would represent a saving of around 25% over the price of the day tickets.
Although MG said the discount would be proportional, I can't see the price being any lower as that would make the cost of a 3 day ticket less than 2 day tickets

04 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm #31
6091 involved in the incident at Gateshead Interchange
Citaro5338
04 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm #31

6091 involved in the incident at Gateshead Interchange

idiot

04 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm #32
Read on Facebook so may not be true - apparently air ambulance landed. Obviously don't know if its true but thoughts are with everyone involved.
idiot
04 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm #32

Read on Facebook so may not be true - apparently air ambulance landed. Obviously don't know if its true but thoughts are with everyone involved.

S813 FVK

04 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm #33
(04 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm)idiot Read on Facebook so may not be true - apparently air ambulance landed. Obviously don't know if its true but thoughts are with everyone involved.

The Chronicle article seems to be taking this line too:
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...rQUdVQsFDs
S813 FVK
04 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm #33

(04 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm)idiot Read on Facebook so may not be true - apparently air ambulance landed. Obviously don't know if its true but thoughts are with everyone involved.

The Chronicle article seems to be taking this line too:
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...rQUdVQsFDs

DaveyB

04 Jan 2020, 5:50 pm #34
While driving along Felling bypass at around 11:30 today, I passed 4990 on its last journey behind an Alpha Recovery truck. There was another Scania being towed too but I couldn’t see any details as it was too far behind me as I got in between them both
DaveyB
04 Jan 2020, 5:50 pm #34

While driving along Felling bypass at around 11:30 today, I passed 4990 on its last journey behind an Alpha Recovery truck. There was another Scania being towed too but I couldn’t see any details as it was too far behind me as I got in between them both

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm #35
(04 Jan 2020, 5:50 pm)DaveyB While driving along Felling bypass at around 11:30 today, I passed 4990 on its last journey behind an Alpha Recovery truck. There was another Scania being towed too but I couldn’t see any details as it was too far behind me as I got in between them both

4949 - both sold to and collected by Alpha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
04 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm #35

(04 Jan 2020, 5:50 pm)DaveyB While driving along Felling bypass at around 11:30 today, I passed 4990 on its last journey behind an Alpha Recovery truck. There was another Scania being towed too but I couldn’t see any details as it was too far behind me as I got in between them both

4949 - both sold to and collected by Alpha.

DaveyB

04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm #36
(04 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm)Dan 4949 - both sold to and collected by Alpha.

Thanks Dan
DaveyB
04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm #36

(04 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm)Dan 4949 - both sold to and collected by Alpha.

Thanks Dan

04 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm #37
(01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Malarkey With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.

This 24-hour ticket reminds me of the one that Go-Ahead have in Oxford.  Admittedly the Oxford one is also valid on Stagecoach buses there.

In the North East there is of course the Nexus Day Ticket and North East Explorer, even if these are not valid for 24 hours.
MetrolineGA1511
04 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm #37

(01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Malarkey With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.

This 24-hour ticket reminds me of the one that Go-Ahead have in Oxford.  Admittedly the Oxford one is also valid on Stagecoach buses there.

In the North East there is of course the Nexus Day Ticket and North East Explorer, even if these are not valid for 24 hours.

busmanT

04 Jan 2020, 9:11 pm #38
(04 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm)Metroline1511 This 24-hour ticket reminds me of the one that Go-Ahead have in Oxford.  Admittedly the Oxford one is also valid on Stagecoach buses there.

It's the Network One Day Ticket -  Nexus are just one of the operators who accept it.
busmanT
04 Jan 2020, 9:11 pm #38

(04 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm)Metroline1511 This 24-hour ticket reminds me of the one that Go-Ahead have in Oxford.  Admittedly the Oxford one is also valid on Stagecoach buses there.

It's the Network One Day Ticket -  Nexus are just one of the operators who accept it.

04 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm #39
(04 Jan 2020, 3:33 am)V514DFT Pffft i wouldnt count on Stagecoach introducing any new services in the West End, its like gold dust when it comes to them introducing new services now

I would like to see GNE introduce more new services in the West End, and Stagecoach withdraw some, like the 6/7/8 and 32/32A. GNE could introduce new services between Airport/Kingston Park and Metrocentre, Etal Lane to Newcastle via Westerhope. and Blakelaw and Denton Burn services to Central Station at peak times. 

Stagecoach is too dominant in the West End.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm #39

(04 Jan 2020, 3:33 am)V514DFT Pffft i wouldnt count on Stagecoach introducing any new services in the West End, its like gold dust when it comes to them introducing new services now

I would like to see GNE introduce more new services in the West End, and Stagecoach withdraw some, like the 6/7/8 and 32/32A. GNE could introduce new services between Airport/Kingston Park and Metrocentre, Etal Lane to Newcastle via Westerhope. and Blakelaw and Denton Burn services to Central Station at peak times. 

ne14ne1

04 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm #40
(04 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm)OrangeArrow49 I would like to see GNE introduce more new services in the West End, and Stagecoach withdraw some, like the 6/7/8 and 32/32A. GNE could introduce new services between Airport/Kingston Park and Metrocentre, Etal Lane to Newcastle via Westerhope. and Blakelaw and Denton Burn services to Central Station at peak times. 

Couldn’t you say Go North East are too dominant in Gateshead and Arriva too dominant in Northumberland then?
ne14ne1
04 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm #40

(04 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm)OrangeArrow49 I would like to see GNE introduce more new services in the West End, and Stagecoach withdraw some, like the 6/7/8 and 32/32A. GNE could introduce new services between Airport/Kingston Park and Metrocentre, Etal Lane to Newcastle via Westerhope. and Blakelaw and Denton Burn services to Central Station at peak times. 

Couldn’t you say Go North East are too dominant in Gateshead and Arriva too dominant in Northumberland then?

Pages (28): Previous 1 2 328 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average