Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28) Previous 119 20 2128 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jan 2020, 9:52 am #381
(24 Jan 2020, 9:49 am)busmanT THe 21 seems to get any sort of bus these days, I'm surprised that your taking another one of the Angel StreetDeck and making it Xlines.

Suppose it’s the difference between what the commercial team plan for (ie what is achievable on paper) and what happens in reality. The 21 will have the right number of buses branded to match PVR, and it’s down to engineering and operational colleagues to ensure that those buses are fit for service.

As the X21 is becoming core service on this corridor and to the premium Xlines specification, there’s an argument for trying to run as many high quality buses on this route than the “lesser” slow equivalent.

One would assume things would start to improve with StreetDeck availability soon; Wrightbus are on the mend, which should mean parts availability improves and off service time reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
24 Jan 2020, 9:52 am #381

(24 Jan 2020, 9:49 am)busmanT THe 21 seems to get any sort of bus these days, I'm surprised that your taking another one of the Angel StreetDeck and making it Xlines.

Suppose it’s the difference between what the commercial team plan for (ie what is achievable on paper) and what happens in reality. The 21 will have the right number of buses branded to match PVR, and it’s down to engineering and operational colleagues to ensure that those buses are fit for service.

As the X21 is becoming core service on this corridor and to the premium Xlines specification, there’s an argument for trying to run as many high quality buses on this route than the “lesser” slow equivalent.

One would assume things would start to improve with StreetDeck availability soon; Wrightbus are on the mend, which should mean parts availability improves and off service time reduced.

24 Jan 2020, 10:24 am #382
(24 Jan 2020, 9:52 am)Dan Suppose it’s the difference between what the commercial team plan for (ie what is achievable on paper) and what happens in reality. The 21 will have the right number of buses branded to match PVR, and it’s down to engineering and operational colleagues to ensure that those buses are fit for service.

So does that mean the X21 would get priority over the Angel StreetDecks if one of the X-lines branded ones were off the road to maintain the high spec?
I know it's rather frustrating getting an omnidekka all the way from Tindale to Newcastle

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 10:24 am #382

(24 Jan 2020, 9:52 am)Dan Suppose it’s the difference between what the commercial team plan for (ie what is achievable on paper) and what happens in reality. The 21 will have the right number of buses branded to match PVR, and it’s down to engineering and operational colleagues to ensure that those buses are fit for service.

So does that mean the X21 would get priority over the Angel StreetDecks if one of the X-lines branded ones were off the road to maintain the high spec?
I know it's rather frustrating getting an omnidekka all the way from Tindale to Newcastle

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm #383
(24 Jan 2020, 10:24 am)streetdeckfan So does that mean the X21 would get priority over the Angel StreetDecks if one of the X-lines branded ones were off the road to maintain the high spec?

The Monday to Saturday PVR of the X21 increases to 12 from Sunday - so if you mean priority for 6301-03, until new vehicles are delivered, these all form part of the PVR anyway.

There will be no spare Volvo B7s or StreetDecks for the 21 or X21, so OmniDekkas will be the spare bus for both routes. That is, of course, until the new vehicles are delivered.
Dan
24 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm #383

(24 Jan 2020, 10:24 am)streetdeckfan So does that mean the X21 would get priority over the Angel StreetDecks if one of the X-lines branded ones were off the road to maintain the high spec?

The Monday to Saturday PVR of the X21 increases to 12 from Sunday - so if you mean priority for 6301-03, until new vehicles are delivered, these all form part of the PVR anyway.

There will be no spare Volvo B7s or StreetDecks for the 21 or X21, so OmniDekkas will be the spare bus for both routes. That is, of course, until the new vehicles are delivered.

24 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm #384
(24 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm)Dan The Monday to Saturday PVR of the X21 increases to 12 from Sunday - so if you mean priority for 6301-03, until new vehicles are delivered, these all form part of the PVR anyway.

I was talking more after the new vehicles arrive.
Hypothetically if there was an angel and Xlines were both off and there weren't enough spares for both, would the Xlines have priority over the high spec spare as it's a more 'premium' service?

streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm #384

(24 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm)Dan The Monday to Saturday PVR of the X21 increases to 12 from Sunday - so if you mean priority for 6301-03, until new vehicles are delivered, these all form part of the PVR anyway.

I was talking more after the new vehicles arrive.
Hypothetically if there was an angel and Xlines were both off and there weren't enough spares for both, would the Xlines have priority over the high spec spare as it's a more 'premium' service?

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm #385
(24 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm)streetdeckfan I was talking more after the new vehicles arrive.

You’d like to think so.

Dan
24 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm #385

(24 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm)streetdeckfan I was talking more after the new vehicles arrive.

You’d like to think so.

24 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm #386
(24 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm)Dan You’d like to think so.

Is there a reason it isn't this way at the minute?

Is it not more fuel efficient to run Angel StreetDecks on the X21 and the Omnidekkas on the 21?

streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm #386

(24 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm)Dan You’d like to think so.

Is there a reason it isn't this way at the minute?

Is it not more fuel efficient to run Angel StreetDecks on the X21 and the Omnidekkas on the 21?

24 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm #387
(24 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm)streetdeckfan Is there a reason it isn't this way at the minute?

For starters, "angel" is a much more frequent service than the X21, so the chance of its vehicles being spare is next to nothing. Plus, the X21 isn't an "angel" service. The OmniDekkas, at least, are corporate branded and still represent Go North East's standard image rather than confusing passengers with an "angel" branded vehicle, who think the next 21 is about to pull into a busy Durham bus station, for instance.
BeachBoy99
24 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm #387

(24 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm)streetdeckfan Is there a reason it isn't this way at the minute?

For starters, "angel" is a much more frequent service than the X21, so the chance of its vehicles being spare is next to nothing. Plus, the X21 isn't an "angel" service. The OmniDekkas, at least, are corporate branded and still represent Go North East's standard image rather than confusing passengers with an "angel" branded vehicle, who think the next 21 is about to pull into a busy Durham bus station, for instance.

24 Jan 2020, 3:20 pm #388
(24 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm)BeachBoy99 For starters, "angel" is a much more frequent service than the X21, so the chance of its vehicles being spare is next to nothing. Plus, the X21 isn't an "angel" service. The OmniDekkas, at least, are corporate branded and still represent Go North East's standard image rather than confusing passengers with an "angel" branded vehicle, who think the next 21 is about to pull into a busy Durham bus station, for instance.

I was thinking purely in terms of fuel economy. The Angel StreetDecks are miles more fuel efficient than the Omnidekkas, and the X21 is a far longer and more demanding route.

They already run Angels on the X21 as it is, so I doubt that is much of a concern (it's even written on the timetable that they run as Angel buses)

streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 3:20 pm #388

(24 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm)BeachBoy99 For starters, "angel" is a much more frequent service than the X21, so the chance of its vehicles being spare is next to nothing. Plus, the X21 isn't an "angel" service. The OmniDekkas, at least, are corporate branded and still represent Go North East's standard image rather than confusing passengers with an "angel" branded vehicle, who think the next 21 is about to pull into a busy Durham bus station, for instance.

I was thinking purely in terms of fuel economy. The Angel StreetDecks are miles more fuel efficient than the Omnidekkas, and the X21 is a far longer and more demanding route.

They already run Angels on the X21 as it is, so I doubt that is much of a concern (it's even written on the timetable that they run as Angel buses)

24 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm #389
(24 Jan 2020, 3:20 pm)streetdeckfan I was thinking purely in terms of fuel economy. The Angel StreetDecks are miles more fuel efficient than the Omnidekkas, and the X21 is a far longer and more demanding route.

Again, the "angel" vehicles are in high demand so realistically, it's not going to happen.
BeachBoy99
24 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm #389

(24 Jan 2020, 3:20 pm)streetdeckfan I was thinking purely in terms of fuel economy. The Angel StreetDecks are miles more fuel efficient than the Omnidekkas, and the X21 is a far longer and more demanding route.

Again, the "angel" vehicles are in high demand so realistically, it's not going to happen.

Malarkey

24 Jan 2020, 4:02 pm #390
It has been confirmed following a successful trial in Southampton with Bluestar that further Air Filter buses will be deployed in Brighton, Manchester,
Newcastle, Oxford, Plymouth and Crawley/Gatwick in the summer according to The Go-Ahead Group Twitter Page with a further local annoucement regarding this on Monday by Martijn Gilbert who retweeted the below article.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/...-in-the-uk
Malarkey
24 Jan 2020, 4:02 pm #390

It has been confirmed following a successful trial in Southampton with Bluestar that further Air Filter buses will be deployed in Brighton, Manchester,
Newcastle, Oxford, Plymouth and Crawley/Gatwick in the summer according to The Go-Ahead Group Twitter Page with a further local annoucement regarding this on Monday by Martijn Gilbert who retweeted the below article.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/...-in-the-uk

Andreos1

24 Jan 2020, 4:15 pm #391
Department for Transport being given the red carpet treatment today?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
24 Jan 2020, 4:15 pm #391

Department for Transport being given the red carpet treatment today?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Venturego

24 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm #392
Also reported on BBC News pages:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51234115

More towns and cities to get air-filtering buses

The buses have three fans on the roof that suck particles into a filter
Buses that filter pollution from the atmosphere are to be introduced to six more towns and cities after a trial.

Go-Ahead's buses have fans on the roof that suck particles into filters.

The technology was trialled on the company's Bluestar buses in Southampton and resulted in 65g of pollutants - the weight of a tennis ball - removed from the air in a 100-day period.

The buses will be rolled out in Oxford, Plymouth, Newcastle, Manchester, Crawley and Brighton from the summer.

A further five buses are also due to be brought into service in Southampton next month.

Go-Ahead chief executive David Brown said: "Our air-filtering system has exceeded all expectations in how it can benefit the environment.

"We believe the air-filtering bus provides a quick win for councils as they explore initiatives such as clean air zones to tackle toxic pollution."
Venturego
24 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm #392

Also reported on BBC News pages:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51234115

More towns and cities to get air-filtering buses

The buses have three fans on the roof that suck particles into a filter
Buses that filter pollution from the atmosphere are to be introduced to six more towns and cities after a trial.

Go-Ahead's buses have fans on the roof that suck particles into filters.

The technology was trialled on the company's Bluestar buses in Southampton and resulted in 65g of pollutants - the weight of a tennis ball - removed from the air in a 100-day period.

The buses will be rolled out in Oxford, Plymouth, Newcastle, Manchester, Crawley and Brighton from the summer.

A further five buses are also due to be brought into service in Southampton next month.

Go-Ahead chief executive David Brown said: "Our air-filtering system has exceeded all expectations in how it can benefit the environment.

"We believe the air-filtering bus provides a quick win for councils as they explore initiatives such as clean air zones to tackle toxic pollution."

24 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm #393
We're only getting one up here for now, according to MG on Twitter anyway.
My guess is that it's being retrofitted to one of the Quaylinks
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm #393

We're only getting one up here for now, according to MG on Twitter anyway.
My guess is that it's being retrofitted to one of the Quaylinks

24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm #394
New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

I'm not at all a fan of the new timetable style, I think it looks much worse with an actual photo rather than the 'drawing'
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm #394

New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

I'm not at all a fan of the new timetable style, I think it looks much worse with an actual photo rather than the 'drawing'

Stanleyone

24 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm #395
(24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

Think it’s just a generic photo as it’s also down as a streetlite on the 30/31/32 and that’s on the Consett minibus network. Also the 6/12/12a are down as a streetlite instead of the mercs.
Stanleyone
24 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm #395

(24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

Think it’s just a generic photo as it’s also down as a streetlite on the 30/31/32 and that’s on the Consett minibus network. Also the 6/12/12a are down as a streetlite instead of the mercs.

24 Jan 2020, 5:55 pm #396
(24 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm)Stanleyone Think it’s just a generic photo as it’s also down as a streetlite on the 30/31/32 and that’s on the Consett minibus network. Also the 6/12/12a are down as a streetlite instead of the mercs.

I think that is the case that it's a generic photo, although if they were sticking with the brands, I would think they'd have shown a branded vehicle like they have with the Citylink 57, or at the very least kept the brand name on the timetable
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 5:55 pm #396

(24 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm)Stanleyone Think it’s just a generic photo as it’s also down as a streetlite on the 30/31/32 and that’s on the Consett minibus network. Also the 6/12/12a are down as a streetlite instead of the mercs.

I think that is the case that it's a generic photo, although if they were sticking with the brands, I would think they'd have shown a branded vehicle like they have with the Citylink 57, or at the very least kept the brand name on the timetable

citaro5284

24 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm #397

Not a fan of something.....I cannot quite believe that Tongue
citaro5284
24 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm #397

Not a fan of something.....I cannot quite believe that Tongue

24 Jan 2020, 6:07 pm #398
(24 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm)citaro5284 Not a fan of something.....I cannot quite believe that Tongue

Hey! If my name is anything to go by I am a fan of some things!

I really like the design of the X-Lines timetables, although the Sunday section not having the stop names does make it quite difficult to read

Also, I've just noticed something I can't unsee. On the 21 and 57 timetable the registration plate on the front has been completely photoshopped off instead of just making it white like with the Streetlite
streetdeckfan
24 Jan 2020, 6:07 pm #398

(24 Jan 2020, 6:03 pm)citaro5284 Not a fan of something.....I cannot quite believe that Tongue

Hey! If my name is anything to go by I am a fan of some things!

I really like the design of the X-Lines timetables, although the Sunday section not having the stop names does make it quite difficult to read

Also, I've just noticed something I can't unsee. On the 21 and 57 timetable the registration plate on the front has been completely photoshopped off instead of just making it white like with the Streetlite

Wybus

24 Jan 2020, 8:10 pm #399
(15 Jan 2020, 10:29 pm)Jimmi "Best Impressions is the leading company when it comes to bus design with much new and innovation in the pipeline which is why we always go to them..." same guff used over and over again when anybody takes the mick of them.

Oh and that First Omnicity linked above, pretty much the same here with the split in a different place: https://flic.kr/p/PeJcuH - new Go North West livery is pretty similar too: https://flic.kr/p/2hZMfW1

And then in the same area there's this Cross Pennine style livery: https://flic.kr/p/2i3trMm - when I made said comparison someone popped up and stated BI are innovative etc
Yes I’m not a fan of the changes being made with GNE.

The extensive branding and the designs used were unique to GNE, there was nothing quite like it anywhere else.

Now half the brands are being discontinued, and the other half including X Lines are turning into a carbon copy Best Impressions style that is used up and down the country, much less brash and fun like GNE always was, and more corporate looking. This includes the new style of timetables. It all looks near identical to Transdev Blazefield for one.

Ultimately it’s going to be like many operators where a few corridors are branded and everything else is in standard livery.
Wybus
24 Jan 2020, 8:10 pm #399

(15 Jan 2020, 10:29 pm)Jimmi "Best Impressions is the leading company when it comes to bus design with much new and innovation in the pipeline which is why we always go to them..." same guff used over and over again when anybody takes the mick of them.

Oh and that First Omnicity linked above, pretty much the same here with the split in a different place: https://flic.kr/p/PeJcuH - new Go North West livery is pretty similar too: https://flic.kr/p/2hZMfW1

And then in the same area there's this Cross Pennine style livery: https://flic.kr/p/2i3trMm - when I made said comparison someone popped up and stated BI are innovative etc
Yes I’m not a fan of the changes being made with GNE.

The extensive branding and the designs used were unique to GNE, there was nothing quite like it anywhere else.

Now half the brands are being discontinued, and the other half including X Lines are turning into a carbon copy Best Impressions style that is used up and down the country, much less brash and fun like GNE always was, and more corporate looking. This includes the new style of timetables. It all looks near identical to Transdev Blazefield for one.

Ultimately it’s going to be like many operators where a few corridors are branded and everything else is in standard livery.

Stanleyone

24 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm #400
(24 Jan 2020, 8:10 pm)Wybus Yes I’m not a fan of the changes being made with GNE.

Some will argue that a constant look is good for visitors to the region. Knowing who their ticket is valid with etc. And with some branded services now being combined (cost savings on break locations) it would seem logical for some brands to disappear. Red kites on the X31 is a good example.
Stanleyone
24 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm #400

(24 Jan 2020, 8:10 pm)Wybus Yes I’m not a fan of the changes being made with GNE.

Some will argue that a constant look is good for visitors to the region. Knowing who their ticket is valid with etc. And with some branded services now being combined (cost savings on break locations) it would seem logical for some brands to disappear. Red kites on the X31 is a good example.

Pages (28) Previous 119 20 2128 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average