Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28): 1 2 328 Next
01 Jan 2020, 9:51 am #1
(31 Dec 2019, 5:15 pm)Stanleyone I think if it’s a success, which I think it will, then it probably will get extended. Time will tell.

If the 24 hour ticket is a success, I wonder if they'll roll it out for all GoZone tickets.
Most people probably don't need an All Zone ticket, and although it's still cheaper than buying 2 single zone day tickets, I think £8.50 is probably going to put a lot of people off from using it, especially if they aren't using the bus already to travel to work
streetdeckfan
01 Jan 2020, 9:51 am #1

(31 Dec 2019, 5:15 pm)Stanleyone I think if it’s a success, which I think it will, then it probably will get extended. Time will tell.

If the 24 hour ticket is a success, I wonder if they'll roll it out for all GoZone tickets.
Most people probably don't need an All Zone ticket, and although it's still cheaper than buying 2 single zone day tickets, I think £8.50 is probably going to put a lot of people off from using it, especially if they aren't using the bus already to travel to work

Malarkey

01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm #2
With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.
Malarkey
01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm #2

With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.

01 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm #3
(01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Malarkey With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.
Maybe but not every day of the week as they might not be that well used
michaelb
01 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm #3

(01 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Malarkey With the introduction of the 24 hour ticket could GNE reintroduce a 24 hour service on select routes i.e. Angel 21.
Maybe but not every day of the week as they might not be that well used

big mac

01 Jan 2020, 4:19 pm #4
(01 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm)michaelb Maybe but not every day of the week as they might not be that well used
Yes, they did initially try the N21 seven days a week when it was first introduced but the weeknight services got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers.
big mac
01 Jan 2020, 4:19 pm #4

(01 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm)michaelb Maybe but not every day of the week as they might not be that well used
Yes, they did initially try the N21 seven days a week when it was first introduced but the weeknight services got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers.

01 Jan 2020, 6:56 pm #5
(01 Jan 2020, 4:19 pm)big mac Yes, they did initially try the N21 seven days a week when it was first introduced but the weeknight services got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers.

The issue is that unless you live on the route of the 21, the N21 is pretty useless as there are no connections at either end, so no wonder there were low passenger numbers. 
The only reason I can see the N21 being busy is to reduce the taxi fare if you're travelling back from Newcastle on a night out
streetdeckfan
01 Jan 2020, 6:56 pm #5

(01 Jan 2020, 4:19 pm)big mac Yes, they did initially try the N21 seven days a week when it was first introduced but the weeknight services got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers.

The issue is that unless you live on the route of the 21, the N21 is pretty useless as there are no connections at either end, so no wonder there were low passenger numbers. 
The only reason I can see the N21 being busy is to reduce the taxi fare if you're travelling back from Newcastle on a night out

01 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm #6
I think introducing a couple of other night buses on a Saturday would be better, I'm desperate for an N27.
deanmachine
01 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm #6

I think introducing a couple of other night buses on a Saturday would be better, I'm desperate for an N27.

Adrian

01 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm #7
I'd love to see a bigger push with night buses, but its ultimately going to be down to the passenger numbers being there. I cannot see that beyond Newcastle City Centre and the immediate surrounding area. Similar to what Stagecoach are doing. Maybe a short N21 would work as far as the Angel or something?

Mind, I also think they miss a trick not operating on the two biggest night outs of the year - Boxing Day and New Years Eve.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm #7

I'd love to see a bigger push with night buses, but its ultimately going to be down to the passenger numbers being there. I cannot see that beyond Newcastle City Centre and the immediate surrounding area. Similar to what Stagecoach are doing. Maybe a short N21 would work as far as the Angel or something?

Mind, I also think they miss a trick not operating on the two biggest night outs of the year - Boxing Day and New Years Eve.

Andreos1

01 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm #8
(01 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm)deanmachine I think introducing a couple of other night buses on a Saturday would be better, I'm desperate for an N27.

A network of them would be ideal, similar to what existed with the N21 and N20.
Streetdeckfan made a point that the N21 is only worthwhile if you live on the route and to be honest, I tend to agree to an extent. 
If you live between the N56 and N21 corridors, you're struggling. 
Stick something on which connects the two and I think the potential to grow the market, is greater than having standalone services. 
Not only would they be opening up new markets, but they would also be extending the existing offer to passengers otherwise excluded. Assuming pricing and connections were attractive. 

I would argue the night time economy of Newcastle, isn't the only source of passengers and not all services need to radiate out from there, as seen previously.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm #8

(01 Jan 2020, 8:24 pm)deanmachine I think introducing a couple of other night buses on a Saturday would be better, I'm desperate for an N27.

A network of them would be ideal, similar to what existed with the N21 and N20.
Streetdeckfan made a point that the N21 is only worthwhile if you live on the route and to be honest, I tend to agree to an extent. 
Stick something on which connects the two and I think the potential to grow the market, is greater than having standalone services. 
Not only would they be opening up new markets, but they would also be extending the existing offer to passengers otherwise excluded. Assuming pricing and connections were attractive. 

I would argue the night time economy of Newcastle, isn't the only source of passengers and not all services need to radiate out from there, as seen previously.

01 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm #9
(01 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm)Adrian I'd love to see a bigger push with night buses, but its ultimately going to be down to the passenger numbers being there. I cannot see that beyond Newcastle City Centre and the immediate surrounding area. Similar to what Stagecoach are doing. Maybe a short N21 would work as far as the Angel or something?

I can sort of understand them not operating on Boxing Day (although I 100% disagree with it), but cutting services early on New Years Eve and running no services at all on New Years Day makes absolutely no sense to me.

Is there a reason they don't just run to a Sunday timetable like they do on a regular bank holiday?

(01 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm)Andreos1 A network of them would be ideal, similar to what existed with the N21 and N20.

I feel like they're missing out not having an X21 night service, if there's one thing I know about the people of Bishop, it's that they like going out.
One of the worst things about travelling up to Newcastle on a Friday/Saturday evening is having a bus full of already drunk 15 year olds for a 90 minute journey
streetdeckfan
01 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm #9

(01 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm)Adrian I'd love to see a bigger push with night buses, but its ultimately going to be down to the passenger numbers being there. I cannot see that beyond Newcastle City Centre and the immediate surrounding area. Similar to what Stagecoach are doing. Maybe a short N21 would work as far as the Angel or something?

I can sort of understand them not operating on Boxing Day (although I 100% disagree with it), but cutting services early on New Years Eve and running no services at all on New Years Day makes absolutely no sense to me.

Is there a reason they don't just run to a Sunday timetable like they do on a regular bank holiday?

(01 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm)Andreos1 A network of them would be ideal, similar to what existed with the N21 and N20.

I feel like they're missing out not having an X21 night service, if there's one thing I know about the people of Bishop, it's that they like going out.
One of the worst things about travelling up to Newcastle on a Friday/Saturday evening is having a bus full of already drunk 15 year olds for a 90 minute journey

Adrian

01 Jan 2020, 9:37 pm #10
(01 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm)streetdeckfan I can sort of understand them not operating on Boxing Day (although I 100% disagree with it), but cutting services early on New Years Eve and running no services at all on New Years Day makes absolutely no sense to me.

I believe its a legacy agreement with most operators, possibly even stemming from something that existed pre-1986. But times change, and nobody can dispute Boxing Day and New Years Eve are the two biggest nights out of the year.

Adrian
01 Jan 2020, 9:37 pm #10

(01 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm)streetdeckfan I can sort of understand them not operating on Boxing Day (although I 100% disagree with it), but cutting services early on New Years Eve and running no services at all on New Years Day makes absolutely no sense to me.

I believe its a legacy agreement with most operators, possibly even stemming from something that existed pre-1986. But times change, and nobody can dispute Boxing Day and New Years Eve are the two biggest nights out of the year.

L469 YVK

01 Jan 2020, 11:34 pm #11
I've just worked this out. After the 26th January and once 6099 becomes available with 6084 taking its place, Percy Main will have 3x spare B9TL's (6099, 6100 plus a spare C&C branded vehicle). Is the extra B9TL in place to help compensate with the Coaster PVR increase or is this a measure to improve the quality of service as well as a bit of forward planning incase a future PVR increase is required?
L469 YVK
01 Jan 2020, 11:34 pm #11

I've just worked this out. After the 26th January and once 6099 becomes available with 6084 taking its place, Percy Main will have 3x spare B9TL's (6099, 6100 plus a spare C&C branded vehicle). Is the extra B9TL in place to help compensate with the Coaster PVR increase or is this a measure to improve the quality of service as well as a bit of forward planning incase a future PVR increase is required?

Andreos1

02 Jan 2020, 11:11 am #12

Not sure a nightbus version of the X21 will fix that mind.

Andreos1
02 Jan 2020, 11:11 am #12

Not sure a nightbus version of the X21 will fix that mind.

02 Jan 2020, 4:22 pm #13
(02 Jan 2020, 11:11 am)Andreos1 Not sure a nightbus version of the X21 will fix that mind.

I'm not saying it would fix anything, only that if there's that many people travelling up, how do they get back down? At the minute, the last X21 to Bishop leaves Newcastle at 23:10
streetdeckfan
02 Jan 2020, 4:22 pm #13

(02 Jan 2020, 11:11 am)Andreos1 Not sure a nightbus version of the X21 will fix that mind.

I'm not saying it would fix anything, only that if there's that many people travelling up, how do they get back down? At the minute, the last X21 to Bishop leaves Newcastle at 23:10

02 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm #14
https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/12...1612973059

"Delighted to announce that we will shortly commence a trial of season tickets for part-time workers here @gonortheast, building upon our Better Fares initiatives (prices of which are frozen and we’ve introduce new evening and 24 hour tickets from today)?
Check back for news soon"

From the replies it looks as though it'll be a 3 day season ticket
streetdeckfan
02 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm #14

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/12...1612973059

"Delighted to announce that we will shortly commence a trial of season tickets for part-time workers here @gonortheast, building upon our Better Fares initiatives (prices of which are frozen and we’ve introduce new evening and 24 hour tickets from today)?
Check back for news soon"

From the replies it looks as though it'll be a 3 day season ticket

02 Jan 2020, 10:39 pm #15
Noted that NatEx Coach 7145 has entered service today, saw it in Middlesbrough this afternoon, sadly no photo as I was arriving on the X9 at the time.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
02 Jan 2020, 10:39 pm #15

Noted that NatEx Coach 7145 has entered service today, saw it in Middlesbrough this afternoon, sadly no photo as I was arriving on the X9 at the time.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

03 Jan 2020, 7:13 am #16
Rapidsnap Noted that NatEx Coach 7145 has entered service today, saw it in Middlesbrough this afternoon, sadly no photo as I was arriving on the X9 at the time.
If "BusTimes" is to be believed, and the reported registrations are correct, 7146 has also entered service, working the 332 to Swindon yesterday.
Ianthegoon
03 Jan 2020, 7:13 am #16

Rapidsnap Noted that NatEx Coach 7145 has entered service today, saw it in Middlesbrough this afternoon, sadly no photo as I was arriving on the X9 at the time.
If "BusTimes" is to be believed, and the reported registrations are correct, 7146 has also entered service, working the 332 to Swindon yesterday.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2020, 7:31 am #17
(03 Jan 2020, 7:13 am)Ianthegoon If "BusTimes" is to be believed, and the reported registrations are correct, 7146 has also entered service, working the 332 to Swindon yesterday.

That’s correct - 7105, 7106, 7108, 7110 and 7111 are the displaced twin-axle coaches from the National Express coaching unit, which are departing Go North East this morning for rail replacement duties in Peterborough each weekend until March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
03 Jan 2020, 7:31 am #17

(03 Jan 2020, 7:13 am)Ianthegoon If "BusTimes" is to be believed, and the reported registrations are correct, 7146 has also entered service, working the 332 to Swindon yesterday.

That’s correct - 7105, 7106, 7108, 7110 and 7111 are the displaced twin-axle coaches from the National Express coaching unit, which are departing Go North East this morning for rail replacement duties in Peterborough each weekend until March.

03 Jan 2020, 10:26 am #18
Dan That’s correct - 7105, 7106, 7108, 7110 and 7111 are the displaced twin-axle coaches from the National Express coaching unit, which are departing Go North East this morning for rail replacement duties in Peterborough each weekend until March.

"BusTimes" also now showing 7148 in service.

I guess if five older vehicles have gone down to Peterborough then 7147 and 7149 may well also have entered service, but they haven't shown up on the tracker yet - possibly later departures that won't show up until they actually leave on their first journey.
Ianthegoon
03 Jan 2020, 10:26 am #18

Dan That’s correct - 7105, 7106, 7108, 7110 and 7111 are the displaced twin-axle coaches from the National Express coaching unit, which are departing Go North East this morning for rail replacement duties in Peterborough each weekend until March.

"BusTimes" also now showing 7148 in service.

I guess if five older vehicles have gone down to Peterborough then 7147 and 7149 may well also have entered service, but they haven't shown up on the tracker yet - possibly later departures that won't show up until they actually leave on their first journey.

03 Jan 2020, 11:32 am #19
Argh 7111 is one I need. Was gonna pop to CLS to see if it was parked up but if it already left.

Rapidsnap
03 Jan 2020, 11:32 am #19

Argh 7111 is one I need. Was gonna pop to CLS to see if it was parked up but if it already left.

03 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm #20
I do hope when the the NSAs for the X21 come back there's a greater emphasis that it's an express service. Yet another passenger has thought they could get off on Durham Road and had ended up in Chester le Street

Perhaps something along the lines of "This is the Xlines X21 service to Durham, this is a limited stop service between Newcastle and Chester le Street, stopping only at Gateshead Interchange and Low Fell - The Canon."
Then for the Bishop bound services it could continue
"This service will carry on to West Auckland, calling at Spennymoor, Bishop Auckland and Tindale Crescent Retail Park"

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm #20

I do hope when the the NSAs for the X21 come back there's a greater emphasis that it's an express service. Yet another passenger has thought they could get off on Durham Road and had ended up in Chester le Street

Perhaps something along the lines of "This is the Xlines X21 service to Durham, this is a limited stop service between Newcastle and Chester le Street, stopping only at Gateshead Interchange and Low Fell - The Canon."
Then for the Bishop bound services it could continue
"This service will carry on to West Auckland, calling at Spennymoor, Bishop Auckland and Tindale Crescent Retail Park"

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Pages (28): 1 2 328 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average