Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Northern (Arriva Rail North)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (42): Previous 140 41 42 Next
Andreos1

03 Nov 2020, 9:20 pm #801
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/netwo...w-library/

Another 142 lives on!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Nov 2020, 9:20 pm #801

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/netwo...w-library/

Another 142 lives on!

Ryland

30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm #802
Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

Saltburn to bishop line is still only hourly
Ryland
30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm #802

Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

peter

30 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm #803
(30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm)Ryland Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

Current timetable in place until 17th May (when the national rail timetable is due to change)
peter
30 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm #803

(30 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm)Ryland Wonder if the timetable will increase again after the 12th April

Current timetable in place until 17th May (when the national rail timetable is due to change)

Andreos1

31 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm #804
I've noticed that they seem to be doubling the sets up again in recent weeks - on the Saltburn line. 
There was a long spell last year when they did it on the hourly frequency. That seemed to stop when the timetables were changed, but now it has started again

Andreos1
31 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm #804

I've noticed that they seem to be doubling the sets up again in recent weeks - on the Saltburn line. 
There was a long spell last year when they did it on the hourly frequency. That seemed to stop when the timetables were changed, but now it has started again

Andreos1

08 Jun 2021, 10:23 am #805
https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news...ob-seekers

If anyone is unemployed or looking for work, this scheme won't do you any harm.

Andreos1
08 Jun 2021, 10:23 am #805

https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news...ob-seekers

If anyone is unemployed or looking for work, this scheme won't do you any harm.

Ryland

25 Aug 2021, 5:47 am #806
full line closure next weekend's 4th and 5th of September between Darlington, Middlesbrough, redcar, saltburn and Whitby. With no trains operating at all. Replacement buses will be in operations from saltburn to Darlington. Middlesbrough to hartlepool and Middlesbrough and Whitby
Ryland
25 Aug 2021, 5:47 am #806

full line closure next weekend's 4th and 5th of September between Darlington, Middlesbrough, redcar, saltburn and Whitby. With no trains operating at all. Replacement buses will be in operations from saltburn to Darlington. Middlesbrough to hartlepool and Middlesbrough and Whitby

Andreos1

29 Oct 2021, 3:47 pm #807
I'd attach a photo...
Redcar Station has a huge sign up regarding a  proposed redevelopment for leisure and retail.
Available in whole or part.
NaylorsGavinBlack are looking after it. 

Nowt on their website though.

Andreos1
29 Oct 2021, 3:47 pm #807

I'd attach a photo...
Redcar Station has a huge sign up regarding a  proposed redevelopment for leisure and retail.
Available in whole or part.
NaylorsGavinBlack are looking after it. 

Nowt on their website though.

30 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm #808
Anyone noticing there seems to be a lot of cancelations on the Durham Coast and Saltburn lines of late?

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

30 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm #808

Anyone noticing there seems to be a lot of cancelations on the Durham Coast and Saltburn lines of late?

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

Unber43

20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm #809
I used Northern the other day from Newcaslte to Middlesbrough and back and I must say my past opinion on trains were not good tbh, however with an open mind I ventured into Central Station, I arrived on the Platform this is when we were told the train was cancelled, wasn't a big deal only had to wait 45, my only dread was that it was going to be rammed, nevertheless I came back and waited around 15 mins for my train, it was a 158 which was nice, managed to grab a table, USB's worked (that was nice) was able to open my laptop and do some work. Then on my return the train wasn't cancelled which was good, and it was a pleasure ride back. 

However compared to the bus I would say, I would pick the X10 if I had to get up early as the first X10 I think it around 1 hour 10 mins before the first train, and the last X10 is later than the train. If the X10 USB's worked all the time I wouldn't mind, aswell the train never seemed as busy as the bus it could be and probably is that it has much higher capacity, so it would be nice if the X10/X9 was reintroduced at every 30 mins to make sure there are enough seats for people, and not really 2-4 random people sharing a table. I do prefer the tables on GNE's buses as they do pull out and my laptop fits in it nicely compared to the train unless you're at the window. 

I think comfort was pretty even for sitting wise both sets of seats where nice, tho I did appreciate the headrests being higher and again the USB chargers working, I don't mind the extra 20-30 mins on the X10 but If I were to do that daily it would probably become quite draining. However if it was raining I would pick the bus as waiting in Central Station when its raining or windy is not very nice. 

Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.
Unber43
20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm #809

I used Northern the other day from Newcaslte to Middlesbrough and back and I must say my past opinion on trains were not good tbh, however with an open mind I ventured into Central Station, I arrived on the Platform this is when we were told the train was cancelled, wasn't a big deal only had to wait 45, my only dread was that it was going to be rammed, nevertheless I came back and waited around 15 mins for my train, it was a 158 which was nice, managed to grab a table, USB's worked (that was nice) was able to open my laptop and do some work. Then on my return the train wasn't cancelled which was good, and it was a pleasure ride back. 

However compared to the bus I would say, I would pick the X10 if I had to get up early as the first X10 I think it around 1 hour 10 mins before the first train, and the last X10 is later than the train. If the X10 USB's worked all the time I wouldn't mind, aswell the train never seemed as busy as the bus it could be and probably is that it has much higher capacity, so it would be nice if the X10/X9 was reintroduced at every 30 mins to make sure there are enough seats for people, and not really 2-4 random people sharing a table. I do prefer the tables on GNE's buses as they do pull out and my laptop fits in it nicely compared to the train unless you're at the window. 

I think comfort was pretty even for sitting wise both sets of seats where nice, tho I did appreciate the headrests being higher and again the USB chargers working, I don't mind the extra 20-30 mins on the X10 but If I were to do that daily it would probably become quite draining. However if it was raining I would pick the bus as waiting in Central Station when its raining or windy is not very nice. 

Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.

Adrian

20 Aug 2022, 8:56 pm #810
(20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm)Unber43 Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.

Not sure I quite understand the points you're making, but in response: 
  • How early do you want the first X10 from Middlesbrough to Newcastle? First one gets in for 07.37 and it departs at 06.00. The first train doesn't get in until 08.05.
  • People have got the choice to get the train or the X10. They're not forced to give their business to one operator over another? 
  • Why would GNE run a bus from Eldon Square to Central Station in partnership, that then goes on to Middlesbrough empty, because they've all jumped onto the train? It'd never work as a two-way partnership, because one mode is much more convenient than the other.
  • Again with the Seaham/Dalton Park connections, I'm not sure why GNE would decimate their business on the Ryhope Road by offloading customers on to the train? I'm all for providing and advertising connections for onward journeys, but decimating your own business is a bit of a far stretch.

I do think there's room for partnership, but under the current model for buses and wider public transport, it isn't going to happen. They're all businesses with the aim to make money, and what you're suggesting is akin to a pub putting a sign on their door, telling people to go to the supermarket instead.

If we had a proper system of integration, then I think there is room for integration of bus and rail, but it should be to compliment each other. Buses to provide links to key stations for onward travel, in a similar vein to how Plusbus works. Having buses and trains running side by side, in some attempt of partnership, seems like a lot of wasted energy.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 Aug 2022, 8:56 pm #810

(20 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm)Unber43 Overall I think what needs to be improved is the flexibility, for instance I should be able to catch the ealier morning X10 to Middlesbrough from Gateshead/Newcastle and in the other way aswell from Middlesbrough to Gateshead/Newcastle. And be able to chose whether to get the train or the X10 I think possibly the trains and GNE should possibly partner up with the X10 going via Central Station with either the X10/Train every 30 mins down key parts of the line. But you could also advertise the connects e.g X10/Train to Seaham/Dalton Park 5 min walk to 60/65 connect with Murton/Seaham/Ryhope. Or X10 Dalton Park connection with the 61 to Murton, 65 to Seaham which connects with the 60, or X10/Train to Peterlee/Horden with the 209/210 connecting with the 206 or 208.

Not sure I quite understand the points you're making, but in response: 
  • How early do you want the first X10 from Middlesbrough to Newcastle? First one gets in for 07.37 and it departs at 06.00. The first train doesn't get in until 08.05.
  • People have got the choice to get the train or the X10. They're not forced to give their business to one operator over another? 
  • Why would GNE run a bus from Eldon Square to Central Station in partnership, that then goes on to Middlesbrough empty, because they've all jumped onto the train? It'd never work as a two-way partnership, because one mode is much more convenient than the other.
  • Again with the Seaham/Dalton Park connections, I'm not sure why GNE would decimate their business on the Ryhope Road by offloading customers on to the train? I'm all for providing and advertising connections for onward journeys, but decimating your own business is a bit of a far stretch.

I do think there's room for partnership, but under the current model for buses and wider public transport, it isn't going to happen. They're all businesses with the aim to make money, and what you're suggesting is akin to a pub putting a sign on their door, telling people to go to the supermarket instead.

If we had a proper system of integration, then I think there is room for integration of bus and rail, but it should be to compliment each other. Buses to provide links to key stations for onward travel, in a similar vein to how Plusbus works. Having buses and trains running side by side, in some attempt of partnership, seems like a lot of wasted energy.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Michael

07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm #811
Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough (Durham Coast) Introduction of an additional semi-fast service between Middlesbrough and Newcastle (anticipated in the summer) once platform infrastructure work by Network Rail is complete at Hartlepool station.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/timetablechange

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm #811

Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough (Durham Coast) Introduction of an additional semi-fast service between Middlesbrough and Newcastle (anticipated in the summer) once platform infrastructure work by Network Rail is complete at Hartlepool station.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Mar 2023, 7:13 pm #812
(07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm)Michael Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

Hopefully that will solve some of the problems related to overcrowding. Still not Ideal as what is really needed is a service every 30 minutes stopping at all stations but this will help somewhat.
NEbushopper
07 Mar 2023, 7:13 pm #812

(07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm)Michael Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

Hopefully that will solve some of the problems related to overcrowding. Still not Ideal as what is really needed is a service every 30 minutes stopping at all stations but this will help somewhat.

Andreos1

24 Apr 2023, 7:15 pm #813
(07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm)Michael Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at  Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...LMnjZFLnmQ

Further developments on this

Andreos1
24 Apr 2023, 7:15 pm #813

(07 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm)Michael Looks like a new express service between Newcastle – Hartlepool – Middlesborough - only stopping at  Thornaby, Hartlepool & Sunderland only - every 2 hours.

North East

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...LMnjZFLnmQ

cbma06

24 Apr 2023, 7:53 pm #814
(24 Apr 2023, 7:15 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...LMnjZFLnmQ

I’m sure that it was mentioned awhile ago on a train Facebook page, that the increase in service was only down to the tall ships event at Hartlepool, to get passengers moving in and out of Hartlepool faster and then Northern reducing the service back after the event is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
24 Apr 2023, 7:53 pm #814

(24 Apr 2023, 7:15 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...LMnjZFLnmQ

I’m sure that it was mentioned awhile ago on a train Facebook page, that the increase in service was only down to the tall ships event at Hartlepool, to get passengers moving in and out of Hartlepool faster and then Northern reducing the service back after the event is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreos1

19 Nov 2023, 1:16 pm #815
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1a-DFVO5sXtm_4Gu17A-w6N2SZJlPGNLaI1S2oEgbt4P81g1XEfscE2Jw

More on the faster Boro to Newcastle trains.

Andreos1
19 Nov 2023, 1:16 pm #815

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1a-DFVO5sXtm_4Gu17A-w6N2SZJlPGNLaI1S2oEgbt4P81g1XEfscE2Jw

More on the faster Boro to Newcastle trains.

Unber43

19 Nov 2023, 10:02 pm #816
for 7 mins is it not worth it just stopping everywhere?
Unber43
19 Nov 2023, 10:02 pm #816

for 7 mins is it not worth it just stopping everywhere?

BusLoverMum

20 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm #817
It's still really slow, isn't it. There was me under the impression that the train was faster than driving.
BusLoverMum
20 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm #817

It's still really slow, isn't it. There was me under the impression that the train was faster than driving.

20 Nov 2023, 5:47 pm #818
(20 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm)BusLoverMum It's still really slow, isn't it. There was me under the impression that the train was faster than driving.

The line speed is only between 50-70mph with the majority of the route being about 60mph, it's a longer distance than the A19 so it is a bit slower. An upgrade for 100mph line speed, with 100mph capable trains would help beat a car, but I can't see the investment being spent, it's definitely possible on that line though.
deanmachine
20 Nov 2023, 5:47 pm #818

(20 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm)BusLoverMum It's still really slow, isn't it. There was me under the impression that the train was faster than driving.

The line speed is only between 50-70mph with the majority of the route being about 60mph, it's a longer distance than the A19 so it is a bit slower. An upgrade for 100mph line speed, with 100mph capable trains would help beat a car, but I can't see the investment being spent, it's definitely possible on that line though.

Storx

20 Nov 2023, 8:31 pm #819
(20 Nov 2023, 5:47 pm)deanmachine The line speed is only between 50-70mph with the majority of the route being about 60mph, it's a longer distance than the A19 so it is a bit slower. An upgrade for 100mph line speed, with 100mph capable trains would help beat a car, but I can't see the investment being spent, it's definitely possible on that line though.

Not worth it currently imo, be better spending the money towards Ferryhill and doing a Newcastle - Chester Le Street - Durham - Ferryhill - Thornaby - Middlesbrough service which was always the plan originally but they never got the paths. There should be paths now since the COVID cuts though. Not sure why it never happened.

There should be the a station for Roseworth aswell with a shuttle to the hospital. It's mental how many houses there are round there with a train line running through and no stop. Just sums the British attitude to railways pretty much. Same with Norton around the corner.
Storx
20 Nov 2023, 8:31 pm #819

(20 Nov 2023, 5:47 pm)deanmachine The line speed is only between 50-70mph with the majority of the route being about 60mph, it's a longer distance than the A19 so it is a bit slower. An upgrade for 100mph line speed, with 100mph capable trains would help beat a car, but I can't see the investment being spent, it's definitely possible on that line though.

Not worth it currently imo, be better spending the money towards Ferryhill and doing a Newcastle - Chester Le Street - Durham - Ferryhill - Thornaby - Middlesbrough service which was always the plan originally but they never got the paths. There should be paths now since the COVID cuts though. Not sure why it never happened.

There should be the a station for Roseworth aswell with a shuttle to the hospital. It's mental how many houses there are round there with a train line running through and no stop. Just sums the British attitude to railways pretty much. Same with Norton around the corner.

20 Nov 2023, 9:02 pm #820
(20 Nov 2023, 8:31 pm)Storx Not worth it currently imo, be better spending the money towards Ferryhill and doing a Newcastle - Chester Le Street - Durham - Ferryhill - Thornaby - Middlesbrough service which was always the plan originally but they never got the paths. There should be paths now since the COVID cuts though. Not sure why it never happened.

I don't think the Northern Connect thing was ever really going to work with the current stock we have in the North East, even Express Sprinters only top out at 90mph, it would've been a right pain to try and path something that slow along the ECML every hour.
deanmachine
20 Nov 2023, 9:02 pm #820

(20 Nov 2023, 8:31 pm)Storx Not worth it currently imo, be better spending the money towards Ferryhill and doing a Newcastle - Chester Le Street - Durham - Ferryhill - Thornaby - Middlesbrough service which was always the plan originally but they never got the paths. There should be paths now since the COVID cuts though. Not sure why it never happened.

I don't think the Northern Connect thing was ever really going to work with the current stock we have in the North East, even Express Sprinters only top out at 90mph, it would've been a right pain to try and path something that slow along the ECML every hour.

Pages (42): Previous 140 41 42 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average