Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (12): Previous 1 2 312 Next
tvd

10 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm #21
Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced. Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel. Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them. Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost. Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running? Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley?

As much as I agree councils and national government could do more for the industry, I think the bus companies are far too quick to blame everything on them and go for the easiest short term option of cutting services instead of making genuine effort to do what they are in control of to maintain them.
tvd
10 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm #21

Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced. Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel. Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them. Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost. Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running? Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley?

As much as I agree councils and national government could do more for the industry, I think the bus companies are far too quick to blame everything on them and go for the easiest short term option of cutting services instead of making genuine effort to do what they are in control of to maintain them.

Andreos1

10 Feb 2020, 5:40 pm #22
(10 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm)tvd Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced.  Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel.  Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them.  Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost.  Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running?  Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley? 

Couldn't agree more. Particularly when you see operators complain and moan that the roads are too busy and it should be car drivers penalised for driving in to town and city centres. 

If there's no bus for passengers to use... Huh

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Feb 2020, 5:40 pm #22

(10 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm)tvd Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced.  Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel.  Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them.  Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost.  Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running?  Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley? 

Couldn't agree more. Particularly when you see operators complain and moan that the roads are too busy and it should be car drivers penalised for driving in to town and city centres. 

If there's no bus for passengers to use... Huh

10 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm #23
Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Second. A ten minute frequency on service 63? When? Invariably these run about in pairs, occasionally threes with the subsequent gaps. Perhaps something could be done to achieve the correct frequency?

And finally. Yes I agree with what is said about diminishing bus services and Arriva are a classic example as to why!
scanialover
10 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm #23

Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Second. A ten minute frequency on service 63? When? Invariably these run about in pairs, occasionally threes with the subsequent gaps. Perhaps something could be done to achieve the correct frequency?

And finally. Yes I agree with what is said about diminishing bus services and Arriva are a classic example as to why!

Ryland

10 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm #24
Or even reducing the frequency of the 81 to every 2 hours to stokesley with intiimitent services to Hutton gate

(10 Feb 2020, 10:52 am)Kuyoyo Of which there are very few - hence why it's being culled.
The cut also reduces the 81 PVR by one vehicle (understand the proposal is for the daytime journeys to operate a one-way loop round Hunters Hill, with the peak time journeys carrying on as now to Hutton Gate). From what I've heard round and about, Redcar's PVR is set to drop by 5 in April.
So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn
Edited 10 Feb 2020, 8:21 pm by Ryland.
Ryland
10 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm #24

Or even reducing the frequency of the 81 to every 2 hours to stokesley with intiimitent services to Hutton gate

(10 Feb 2020, 10:52 am)Kuyoyo Of which there are very few - hence why it's being culled.
The cut also reduces the 81 PVR by one vehicle (understand the proposal is for the daytime journeys to operate a one-way loop round Hunters Hill, with the peak time journeys carrying on as now to Hutton Gate). From what I've heard round and about, Redcar's PVR is set to drop by 5 in April.
So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn

tyresmoke

10 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm #25
(10 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm)scanialover Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
To be honest I'm amazed the 81 has lasted this long, but most of the changes seem pretty positive in my eyes. Just not sure about chopping the 64 in Redcar. Agree about punctuality on the 63 and 64 though, and chopping them to every 12/15 won't help in that respect with same loads spread over less buses.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
10 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm #25

(10 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm)scanialover Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
To be honest I'm amazed the 81 has lasted this long, but most of the changes seem pretty positive in my eyes. Just not sure about chopping the 64 in Redcar. Agree about punctuality on the 63 and 64 though, and chopping them to every 12/15 won't help in that respect with same loads spread over less buses.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

10 Feb 2020, 9:42 pm #26
Thankfully I'm no longer in Guisborough and don't have to experience the idea of "connecting" through Swan's Corner. Service 63? I get the need for a 10 minute frequency that's if it is / was just that. I live in Middlesbrough these days and have lost count of the number of times you see these running in pairs, sometimes one service is packed and the other trundling along behind. I don't know what, if anything could / can be done and seeing as Arriva won't invest in radios then I guess we're stuck with it?
scanialover
10 Feb 2020, 9:42 pm #26

Thankfully I'm no longer in Guisborough and don't have to experience the idea of "connecting" through Swan's Corner. Service 63? I get the need for a 10 minute frequency that's if it is / was just that. I live in Middlesbrough these days and have lost count of the number of times you see these running in pairs, sometimes one service is packed and the other trundling along behind. I don't know what, if anything could / can be done and seeing as Arriva won't invest in radios then I guess we're stuck with it?

Jimmi

11 Feb 2020, 12:30 am #27
(10 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm)Ryland So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn

I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Seen this doing the rounds on Facebook [Image: 2265d81477c78acaa70217fa2c60d37d.jpg]
Jimmi
11 Feb 2020, 12:30 am #27

(10 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm)Ryland So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn

I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Seen this doing the rounds on Facebook [Image: 2265d81477c78acaa70217fa2c60d37d.jpg]

Kuyoyo

11 Feb 2020, 1:09 am #28
(11 Feb 2020, 12:30 am)Jimmi I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Redcar’s Pulsars are off to Stockton in exchange for their Streetlites - presumably alongside losing 1759 and 4516.
Kuyoyo
11 Feb 2020, 1:09 am #28

(11 Feb 2020, 12:30 am)Jimmi I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Redcar’s Pulsars are off to Stockton in exchange for their Streetlites - presumably alongside losing 1759 and 4516.

11 Feb 2020, 4:48 am #29
Good that people are more worried about which buses will remain to operate the services than the services themselves.
scanialover
11 Feb 2020, 4:48 am #29

Good that people are more worried about which buses will remain to operate the services than the services themselves.

RobinHood

11 Feb 2020, 6:06 am #30
(10 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm)tyresmoke Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
The 63 isn't changing its frequency.

The 62 will replace the 64 route in Redcar, with the X3 picking up other parts around Redcar Lane.

Full details are not out yet but apparently X3 route is changing to go that way and X4 will be running until midnight too.

The drivers at Redcar have seen the ideas and I'm told that 62, 63, 64 all have extra time in their timetables compared to now.

The real casualty is the 81, but you can't keep running around with fresh air.
RobinHood
11 Feb 2020, 6:06 am #30

(10 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm)tyresmoke Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
The 63 isn't changing its frequency.

The 62 will replace the 64 route in Redcar, with the X3 picking up other parts around Redcar Lane.

Full details are not out yet but apparently X3 route is changing to go that way and X4 will be running until midnight too.

The drivers at Redcar have seen the ideas and I'm told that 62, 63, 64 all have extra time in their timetables compared to now.

11 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm #31
Will 7446 be Withdrawn from the accident or is it being fixed
Citaro5338
11 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm #31

Will 7446 be Withdrawn from the accident or is it being fixed

GNE6312

11 Feb 2020, 6:38 pm #32
(11 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm)Citaro5338 Will 7446 be Withdrawn from the accident or is it being fixed
What happened during the accident
GNE6312
11 Feb 2020, 6:38 pm #32

(11 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm)Citaro5338 Will 7446 be Withdrawn from the accident or is it being fixed
What happened during the accident

11 Feb 2020, 7:41 pm #33
(11 Feb 2020, 6:06 am)RobinHood The 63 isn't changing its frequency.

So, what's going to happen now? Our Prime Minister is talking about a revolution in bus services with talk of 4000 new buses. Yet here in our part of the country we're about to suffer another round of service cuts, reductions and timetable re-arrangements all in a bit for the operator to reduce costs / save money without much regard for their customers; have I been asked for my opinion? Has anyone been asked. I ask one question? Why change something that works?
Edited 11 Feb 2020, 7:48 pm by scanialover.
scanialover
11 Feb 2020, 7:41 pm #33

(11 Feb 2020, 6:06 am)RobinHood The 63 isn't changing its frequency.

So, what's going to happen now? Our Prime Minister is talking about a revolution in bus services with talk of 4000 new buses. Yet here in our part of the country we're about to suffer another round of service cuts, reductions and timetable re-arrangements all in a bit for the operator to reduce costs / save money without much regard for their customers; have I been asked for my opinion? Has anyone been asked. I ask one question? Why change something that works?

Andreos1

11 Feb 2020, 9:15 pm #34
(11 Feb 2020, 7:41 pm)scanialover
So, what's going to happen now? Our Prime Minister is talking about a revolution in bus services with talk of 4000 new buses. Yet here in our part of the country we're about to suffer another round of service cuts, reductions and timetable re-arrangements all in a bit for the operator to reduce costs / save money without much regard for their customers; have I been asked for my opinion? Has anyone been asked. I ask one question?  Why change something that works?

Reading an article about this new lot of funding, I saw this image:
.jpg
Screenshot_20200211_210908_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 525.2 KB / Downloads: 31

R&C is on the list for the biggest drops in patronage.
I appreciate the new Teesflex initiative could help to arrest the fall in some of the area, but there needs to be acknowledgement amongst the main operators, that what they're doing isn't working. 
I think the question needs to be asked about what they're doing to arrest that fall, which doesn't involve cuts and consolidation. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that cuts don't equate to more bums on seats.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51460437

Andreos1
11 Feb 2020, 9:15 pm #34

So, what's going to happen now? Our Prime Minister is talking about a revolution in bus services with talk of 4000 new buses. Yet here in our part of the country we're about to suffer another round of service cuts, reductions and timetable re-arrangements all in a bit for the operator to reduce costs / save money without much regard for their customers; have I been asked for my opinion? Has anyone been asked. I ask one question?  Why change something that works?

Reading an article about this new lot of funding, I saw this image:
.jpg
Screenshot_20200211_210908_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 525.2 KB / Downloads: 31

I appreciate the new Teesflex initiative could help to arrest the fall in some of the area, but there needs to be acknowledgement amongst the main operators, that what they're doing isn't working. 
I think the question needs to be asked about what they're doing to arrest that fall, which doesn't involve cuts and consolidation. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that cuts don't equate to more bums on seats.

11 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm #35
Redcar and Cleveland with a 36% drop in patronage ? Nothing to do with Arriva by any chance
scanialover
11 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm #35

Redcar and Cleveland with a 36% drop in patronage ? Nothing to do with Arriva by any chance

Ryland

11 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm #36
(11 Feb 2020, 1:09 am)Kuyoyo Redcar’s Pulsars are off to Stockton in exchange for their Streetlites - presumably alongside losing 1759 and 4516.
Will this include 1440 as redcar sapphire spare 
Does could we potentially see a sapphire launch of the 63
Ryland
11 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm #36

(11 Feb 2020, 1:09 am)Kuyoyo Redcar’s Pulsars are off to Stockton in exchange for their Streetlites - presumably alongside losing 1759 and 4516.
Will this include 1440 as redcar sapphire spare 

Andreos1

11 Feb 2020, 10:28 pm #37
(11 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm)scanialover Redcar and Cleveland with a 36% drop in patronage ? Nothing to do with Arriva by any chance

I think there will be underlying external factors which have influenced the drop over the 10 year period. 
However, I do think the buck stops with the operators wherever the drop is.

As I said before, cutting and consolidating doesn't equate to more bums on seats. 
It might save money (as in the case of the 81), but I can't see what logic would dictate that more people use what is left of it.

Andreos1
11 Feb 2020, 10:28 pm #37

(11 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm)scanialover Redcar and Cleveland with a 36% drop in patronage ? Nothing to do with Arriva by any chance

I think there will be underlying external factors which have influenced the drop over the 10 year period. 
However, I do think the buck stops with the operators wherever the drop is.

As I said before, cutting and consolidating doesn't equate to more bums on seats. 
It might save money (as in the case of the 81), but I can't see what logic would dictate that more people use what is left of it.

RobinHood

11 Feb 2020, 10:38 pm #38
(11 Feb 2020, 9:15 pm)Andreos1 Reading an article about this new lot of funding, I saw this image:

2010 Redcar and Cleveland (plus other Teesside authories) still had bus service funding, which ironically is exactly what it feels like the 81 needs. Lots of boroughbus patronage will be in that 'lost' figure.

With the exception of Service 71, the Redcar and Cleveland bus network is largely similar to now, so 36% decline can't be solely down to chopping bus services by Arriva (obviously won't be helping!)

Incidentally, that's probably why we never heard of or saw as many cuts back then, as we perceive now, as local authories had money to put in and secure stuff like this. That's where it needs to be put back in, is my opinion.

All of the operators are doing the same thing - GNE reduced alot of their frequencies a few years ago, similarity most of Stagecoach Teesside services have seen big frequency drops too in recent years. It's an industry thing and no obvious solution in sight.

TeesFlex might work, but what if it abstracts from the core bus network and Arriva contact in size again. The funding for TeesFlex won't last forever and come 5 years down the line, everyone is worse off for it! Will be interesting to see what's going to happen...
RobinHood
11 Feb 2020, 10:38 pm #38

(11 Feb 2020, 9:15 pm)Andreos1 Reading an article about this new lot of funding, I saw this image:

2010 Redcar and Cleveland (plus other Teesside authories) still had bus service funding, which ironically is exactly what it feels like the 81 needs. Lots of boroughbus patronage will be in that 'lost' figure.

With the exception of Service 71, the Redcar and Cleveland bus network is largely similar to now, so 36% decline can't be solely down to chopping bus services by Arriva (obviously won't be helping!)

Incidentally, that's probably why we never heard of or saw as many cuts back then, as we perceive now, as local authories had money to put in and secure stuff like this. That's where it needs to be put back in, is my opinion.

All of the operators are doing the same thing - GNE reduced alot of their frequencies a few years ago, similarity most of Stagecoach Teesside services have seen big frequency drops too in recent years. It's an industry thing and no obvious solution in sight.

TeesFlex might work, but what if it abstracts from the core bus network and Arriva contact in size again. The funding for TeesFlex won't last forever and come 5 years down the line, everyone is worse off for it! Will be interesting to see what's going to happen...

BusLoverMum

11 Feb 2020, 10:49 pm #39
4000 new buses isn't much, nationwide. Note it doesn't say new services.
BusLoverMum
11 Feb 2020, 10:49 pm #39

4000 new buses isn't much, nationwide. Note it doesn't say new services.

12 Feb 2020, 4:46 am #40
(11 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm)Ryland Will this include 1440 as redcar sapphire spare 
As far as I'm aware all of Redcars Pulsars 1429-40 will be exchanged for Stocktons Streetlites due to the reduced PVR as well as for fleet standardisation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Stephen James Peter Johns
12 Feb 2020, 4:46 am #40

(11 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm)Ryland Will this include 1440 as redcar sapphire spare 
As far as I'm aware all of Redcars Pulsars 1429-40 will be exchanged for Stocktons Streetlites due to the reduced PVR as well as for fleet standardisation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pages (12): Previous 1 2 312 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average