Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17) Previous 113 14 1517 Next
Ambassador

05 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm #261
It looks like the Govt are slashing funding for train services so surely only common sense that bus services will rightly follow

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
05 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm #261

It looks like the Govt are slashing funding for train services so surely only common sense that bus services will rightly follow

05 Jan 2021, 3:11 pm #262
(05 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm)Ambassador It looks like the Govt are slashing funding for train services so surely only common sense that bus services will rightly follow

I doubt we'll see the same reduction of services with buses as trains, trains tend to be for longer distance journeys which obviously aren't going to be taking place whereas buses typically run locally on journeys that people are probably going to keep taking.

I personally don't understand why they're making out like this 'lockdown' is a big deal, the only real difference between Tier 4 and the 'full lockdown' is that schools are closed.
People should have already been working from home anyway, so the people that were travelling to work last week will be travelling to work next week.

The only services that should see a reduction in numbers is the scholars
streetdeckfan
05 Jan 2021, 3:11 pm #262

(05 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm)Ambassador It looks like the Govt are slashing funding for train services so surely only common sense that bus services will rightly follow

I doubt we'll see the same reduction of services with buses as trains, trains tend to be for longer distance journeys which obviously aren't going to be taking place whereas buses typically run locally on journeys that people are probably going to keep taking.

I personally don't understand why they're making out like this 'lockdown' is a big deal, the only real difference between Tier 4 and the 'full lockdown' is that schools are closed.
People should have already been working from home anyway, so the people that were travelling to work last week will be travelling to work next week.

Ambassador

05 Jan 2021, 7:35 pm #263
(05 Jan 2021, 3:11 pm)streetdeckfan I doubt we'll see the same reduction of services with buses as trains, trains tend to be for longer distance journeys which obviously aren't going to be taking place whereas buses typically run locally on journeys that people are probably going to keep taking.

The difference is it’s now law to stay at home unless for essential purposes which should and will lower passenger numbers and wfh although advised was just recommended whereas now it’s a directive.

Ambassador
05 Jan 2021, 7:35 pm #263

(05 Jan 2021, 3:11 pm)streetdeckfan I doubt we'll see the same reduction of services with buses as trains, trains tend to be for longer distance journeys which obviously aren't going to be taking place whereas buses typically run locally on journeys that people are probably going to keep taking.

The difference is it’s now law to stay at home unless for essential purposes which should and will lower passenger numbers and wfh although advised was just recommended whereas now it’s a directive.

06 Jan 2021, 1:49 am #264
(05 Jan 2021, 7:35 pm)Ambassador The difference is it’s now law to stay at home unless for essential purposes which should and will lower passenger numbers and wfh although advised was just recommended whereas now it’s a directive.

The law hasn't changed since 31st December. What constitutes as working from home has always been an advisory.

May I direct you to the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) Regulations 2020, and then click Schedule 3A.
omnicity4659
06 Jan 2021, 1:49 am #264

(05 Jan 2021, 7:35 pm)Ambassador The difference is it’s now law to stay at home unless for essential purposes which should and will lower passenger numbers and wfh although advised was just recommended whereas now it’s a directive.

The law hasn't changed since 31st December. What constitutes as working from home has always been an advisory.

May I direct you to the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) Regulations 2020, and then click Schedule 3A.

BusLoverMum

08 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm #265
I'm seeing a big difference in the loadings of buses where i live. Seeing one with a passenger is the exception, rather than the norm. That includes those heading to the Arnison Centre, which was really quiet when I went to do my weekly shop, on Wednesday.
BusLoverMum
08 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm #265

I'm seeing a big difference in the loadings of buses where i live. Seeing one with a passenger is the exception, rather than the norm. That includes those heading to the Arnison Centre, which was really quiet when I went to do my weekly shop, on Wednesday.

09 Jan 2021, 12:25 pm #266
(08 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm)BusLoverMum I'm seeing a big difference in the loadings of buses where i live. Seeing one with a passenger is the exception, rather than the norm. That includes those heading to the Arnison Centre, which was really quiet when I went to do my weekly shop, on Wednesday.

I went up to Newcastle earlier this week to pick up some stuff for work (I think it was Tuesday), and I didn't really see that big of a difference. Granted, I travel off peak anyway so the buses are usually pretty quiet anyway, but there still seemed to be a fair number of passengers, obviously things could have died down since then, especially with the weather but for the most part the rules here haven't changed so I don't expect to be much of a difference, and I'd be willing to bet a significant reason for the passenger numbers to drop back down to the 25% ish mark would be down to the schools being closed.

Regardless, GNE are going to be reducing services anyway from the 16th (I think anyway), I just hope they don't pull the X21 from West Auckland again, although the idea of getting an Arriva bus without having to pay them is rather appealing!
streetdeckfan
09 Jan 2021, 12:25 pm #266

(08 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm)BusLoverMum I'm seeing a big difference in the loadings of buses where i live. Seeing one with a passenger is the exception, rather than the norm. That includes those heading to the Arnison Centre, which was really quiet when I went to do my weekly shop, on Wednesday.

I went up to Newcastle earlier this week to pick up some stuff for work (I think it was Tuesday), and I didn't really see that big of a difference. Granted, I travel off peak anyway so the buses are usually pretty quiet anyway, but there still seemed to be a fair number of passengers, obviously things could have died down since then, especially with the weather but for the most part the rules here haven't changed so I don't expect to be much of a difference, and I'd be willing to bet a significant reason for the passenger numbers to drop back down to the 25% ish mark would be down to the schools being closed.

Regardless, GNE are going to be reducing services anyway from the 16th (I think anyway), I just hope they don't pull the X21 from West Auckland again, although the idea of getting an Arriva bus without having to pay them is rather appealing!

citaro5284

04 Jul 2021, 11:20 am #267
I see it is getting reported this morning that from 19th July, masks may not be mandatory and up to 'personal choice'

If so, wonder how many people still wear them on public transport and whether been double jabbed or not makes a difference to what folk decide....

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-face...s-12348408
citaro5284
04 Jul 2021, 11:20 am #267

I see it is getting reported this morning that from 19th July, masks may not be mandatory and up to 'personal choice'

If so, wonder how many people still wear them on public transport and whether been double jabbed or not makes a difference to what folk decide....

Michael

04 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm #268
(04 Jul 2021, 11:20 am)citaro5284 I see it is getting reported this morning that from 19th July, masks may not be mandatory and up to 'personal choice'

Hopefully, if I'm going to be honest, i'm sick of wearing them now, although its different, I was at the Metrocentre yesterday and couldn't breathe, it was that hot.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm #268

(04 Jul 2021, 11:20 am)citaro5284 I see it is getting reported this morning that from 19th July, masks may not be mandatory and up to 'personal choice'

Hopefully, if I'm going to be honest, i'm sick of wearing them now, although its different, I was at the Metrocentre yesterday and couldn't breathe, it was that hot.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

04 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm #269

I'm in two minds.
Hate wearing the mask, but always conscious of people around me who don't respect body space and could be carrying all sorts.
I was like that before all this rona stuff to be honest!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm #269

I'm in two minds.
Hate wearing the mask, but always conscious of people around me who don't respect body space and could be carrying all sorts.

04 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm #270
(04 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 I'm in two minds.
It could therefore be worth continuing to wear our masks on buses.  Then other passenger may be concerned in case we have the virus and avoid sitting next to us.
MetrolineGA1511
04 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm #270

It could therefore be worth continuing to wear our masks on buses.  Then other passenger may be concerned in case we have the virus and avoid sitting next to us.

Andreos1

04 Jul 2021, 1:56 pm #271
(04 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm)Metroline1511 It could therefore be worth continuing to wear our masks on buses.  Then other passenger may be concerned in case we have the virus and avoid sitting next to us.

It's the sitting immediately behind me I don't like. Coughing, spluttering and whatever else.
At least if they're sitting next to me, I can face the other direction and have some control over breathing in their germs.

Andreos1
04 Jul 2021, 1:56 pm #271

(04 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm)Metroline1511 It could therefore be worth continuing to wear our masks on buses.  Then other passenger may be concerned in case we have the virus and avoid sitting next to us.

It's the sitting immediately behind me I don't like. Coughing, spluttering and whatever else.
At least if they're sitting next to me, I can face the other direction and have some control over breathing in their germs.

Adrian

04 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm #272

Absolutely this. We shouldn't forget that generally speaking, buses were a cesspit for germs prior to COVID, due to shoddy or non-existent cleaning regimes. Let's hope that the importance of a high standard of cleaning is part of the longer term measures, and its actually legislated to what standard public places and transport has to be cleaned to. It'll be dropped before we know it otherwise. 

When travelling, I'll probably continue to wear one on busier buses, but nice to have the flexibility not to, say if you have the bus to yourself. It's also nicer not to have to on longer distance stuff or trains.

All in all though, it feels like a step too soon. I agree with dropping most other measures, but the priority should have been to ensure at least all adults have been offered and had the opportunity to receive both vaccinations, before moving further. As a result, I'll be restricting myself to foot journeys from July 19th until the end of August on the most part, which will be 2nd jab + 15 days thereabouts.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm #272

Absolutely this. We shouldn't forget that generally speaking, buses were a cesspit for germs prior to COVID, due to shoddy or non-existent cleaning regimes. Let's hope that the importance of a high standard of cleaning is part of the longer term measures, and its actually legislated to what standard public places and transport has to be cleaned to. It'll be dropped before we know it otherwise. 

When travelling, I'll probably continue to wear one on busier buses, but nice to have the flexibility not to, say if you have the bus to yourself. It's also nicer not to have to on longer distance stuff or trains.

All in all though, it feels like a step too soon. I agree with dropping most other measures, but the priority should have been to ensure at least all adults have been offered and had the opportunity to receive both vaccinations, before moving further. As a result, I'll be restricting myself to foot journeys from July 19th until the end of August on the most part, which will be 2nd jab + 15 days thereabouts.

06 Jul 2021, 6:54 am #273
(04 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm)Adrian Absolutely this. We shouldn't forget that generally speaking, buses were a cesspit for germs prior to COVID, due to shoddy or non-existent cleaning regimes. Let's hope that the importance of a high standard of cleaning is part of the longer term measures, and its actually legislated to what standard public places and transport has to be cleaned to. It'll be dropped before we know it otherwise. 

All in all though, it feels like a step too soon. I agree with dropping most other measures, but the priority should have been to ensure at least all adults have been offered and had the opportunity to receive both vaccinations, before moving further. As a result, I'll be restricting myself to foot journeys from July 19th until the end of August on the most part, which will be 2nd jab + 15 days thereaboutsThe regime has been 

It is prudent to continue to wear a mask on any form of shared transport. As with many I've completed my vaccination, but already evidence supports the Delta variant is impervious to Moderna or Astra Zeneca. Its not hard to simply put one on for a journey or in shops.

As for the buses, in general those who have no option have returned more frequently, but numbers are still low on many services
54APhotography
06 Jul 2021, 6:54 am #273

(04 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm)Adrian Absolutely this. We shouldn't forget that generally speaking, buses were a cesspit for germs prior to COVID, due to shoddy or non-existent cleaning regimes. Let's hope that the importance of a high standard of cleaning is part of the longer term measures, and its actually legislated to what standard public places and transport has to be cleaned to. It'll be dropped before we know it otherwise. 

All in all though, it feels like a step too soon. I agree with dropping most other measures, but the priority should have been to ensure at least all adults have been offered and had the opportunity to receive both vaccinations, before moving further. As a result, I'll be restricting myself to foot journeys from July 19th until the end of August on the most part, which will be 2nd jab + 15 days thereaboutsThe regime has been 

It is prudent to continue to wear a mask on any form of shared transport. As with many I've completed my vaccination, but already evidence supports the Delta variant is impervious to Moderna or Astra Zeneca. Its not hard to simply put one on for a journey or in shops.

As for the buses, in general those who have no option have returned more frequently, but numbers are still low on many services

Adrian

06 Jul 2021, 7:33 am #274
(06 Jul 2021, 6:54 am)54APhotography It is prudent to continue to wear a mask on any form of shared transport. As with many I've completed my vaccination, but already evidence supports the Delta variant is impervious to Moderna or Astra Zeneca. Its not hard to simply put one on for a journey or in shops.

I don't disagree, but I feel that the vast majority wont bother from the 19th, now that it's been deemed as 'personal choice'.

Of course, remember that we were constantly told that face coverings are to protect others (not you), so it's not really a personal choice. It's others that are being given the choice of adding an additional layer of protection for you or not. 

Standard Government tactic of blame-shifting. People have been given the choice, therefore it's their fault if it goes t**s up, but if it pans out well it's a Government success...

Adrian
06 Jul 2021, 7:33 am #274

(06 Jul 2021, 6:54 am)54APhotography It is prudent to continue to wear a mask on any form of shared transport. As with many I've completed my vaccination, but already evidence supports the Delta variant is impervious to Moderna or Astra Zeneca. Its not hard to simply put one on for a journey or in shops.

I don't disagree, but I feel that the vast majority wont bother from the 19th, now that it's been deemed as 'personal choice'.

Of course, remember that we were constantly told that face coverings are to protect others (not you), so it's not really a personal choice. It's others that are being given the choice of adding an additional layer of protection for you or not. 

Standard Government tactic of blame-shifting. People have been given the choice, therefore it's their fault if it goes t**s up, but if it pans out well it's a Government success...

06 Jul 2021, 7:43 am #275
(06 Jul 2021, 7:33 am)Adrian I don't disagree, but I feel that the vast majority wont bother from the 19th, now that it's been deemed as 'personal choice'.

Sadly I concur, the notion that responsibility is for the individual troubles me greatly, relying on others 'common sense has got us in the mess we are in today... Those who believe a mask has no benefit are probably the same who think its all a government conspiracy.. It beat the common cold two years on the bounce, so that's a bonus!

For the times i travel other than by bike, a mask will be worn
54APhotography
06 Jul 2021, 7:43 am #275

(06 Jul 2021, 7:33 am)Adrian I don't disagree, but I feel that the vast majority wont bother from the 19th, now that it's been deemed as 'personal choice'.

Sadly I concur, the notion that responsibility is for the individual troubles me greatly, relying on others 'common sense has got us in the mess we are in today... Those who believe a mask has no benefit are probably the same who think its all a government conspiracy.. It beat the common cold two years on the bounce, so that's a bonus!

For the times i travel other than by bike, a mask will be worn

06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am #276

I think it also comes down to using common sense. If I have the whole upper deck to myself like I usually do on a night, then I most certainly won't be wearing one.
If the bus is packed, I will.

And it'll probably be a sliding scale from there, depending on how busy the bus is, if I'm sitting far away from others, if the windows are open etc.
streetdeckfan
06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am #276

I think it also comes down to using common sense. If I have the whole upper deck to myself like I usually do on a night, then I most certainly won't be wearing one.
If the bus is packed, I will.

And it'll probably be a sliding scale from there, depending on how busy the bus is, if I'm sitting far away from others, if the windows are open etc.

Chris 1

06 Jul 2021, 11:35 am #277
I find it interesting the opinions of folk on here with regard to wearing a mask, and just as interesting how operators approach it going forward. Though I don't think using public transport as a scenario of wear you might wear a mask is particularly helpful with rebuilding confidence. I'm sure it was MP, rather than Chris Whitty who I read that from.

It's as easy to find scientists who believe they are of little benefit as it is to find scientists who believe they are effective. I personally think a mask is a marginal gain at best, and at the risk of being shot down I can't wait to burn mine!

I must confess, and I appreciate this might be read with disgust, my mask just sits in my jacket pocket when not in use. I don't wash my hands in between putting it on and taking it off and because I find them a bit restrictive and irritating (steamed up glasses is my pet hate, first world problems and all that....) I'm constantly fiddling with it when I do wear the thing. So I guess it kinds of defeats the purpose of it anyway. And based on my own observations when out and about, I suspect I'm not the only one with this lax approach to masks.

As for wearing one on the bus, if it's voluntary I'd have no qualms going maskless.
Chris 1
06 Jul 2021, 11:35 am #277

I find it interesting the opinions of folk on here with regard to wearing a mask, and just as interesting how operators approach it going forward. Though I don't think using public transport as a scenario of wear you might wear a mask is particularly helpful with rebuilding confidence. I'm sure it was MP, rather than Chris Whitty who I read that from.

It's as easy to find scientists who believe they are of little benefit as it is to find scientists who believe they are effective. I personally think a mask is a marginal gain at best, and at the risk of being shot down I can't wait to burn mine!

I must confess, and I appreciate this might be read with disgust, my mask just sits in my jacket pocket when not in use. I don't wash my hands in between putting it on and taking it off and because I find them a bit restrictive and irritating (steamed up glasses is my pet hate, first world problems and all that....) I'm constantly fiddling with it when I do wear the thing. So I guess it kinds of defeats the purpose of it anyway. And based on my own observations when out and about, I suspect I'm not the only one with this lax approach to masks.

As for wearing one on the bus, if it's voluntary I'd have no qualms going maskless.

IRHardy

06 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm #278
(06 Jul 2021, 11:35 am)Chris 1 I find it interesting the opinions of folk on here with regard to wearing a mask, and just as interesting how operators approach it going forward.  Though I don't think using public transport as a scenario of wear you might wear a mask is particularly helpful with rebuilding confidence.  I'm sure it was MP, rather than Chris Whitty who I read that from.

It's as easy to find scientists who believe they are of little benefit as it is to find scientists who believe they are effective.  I personally think a mask is a marginal gain at best, and at the risk of being shot down I can't wait to burn mine!

I must confess, and I appreciate this might be read with disgust, my mask just sits in my jacket pocket when not in use.  I don't wash my hands in between putting it on and taking it off and because I find them a bit restrictive and irritating (steamed up glasses is my pet hate, first world problems and all that....) I'm constantly fiddling with it when I do wear the thing.  So I guess it kinds of defeats the purpose of it anyway.  And based on my own observations when out and about, I suspect I'm not the only one with this lax approach to masks.

Since March 2020 I have only been on 4 bus journeys as a result of having to wear a face nappy while using buses, because I don't like anything covering my face, in the winter I don’t wear a scarf because of this..

My employer was encouraging people not to use public transport so instead of using the bus I have driven to work. At work I only have to wear a face nappy when I leave my desk.

Pre-COVID my personal choice was to use the bus to get to & from work and not to drive and I have got a lot less read as a result of driving instead of sitting on the bus for 30 minutes each way. I used to go on about 800 bus journeys a year and I cannot wait to get back to travelling around, not to have to wear a face nappy all the time and to be able to breathe as well.
IRHardy
06 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm #278

(06 Jul 2021, 11:35 am)Chris 1 I find it interesting the opinions of folk on here with regard to wearing a mask, and just as interesting how operators approach it going forward.  Though I don't think using public transport as a scenario of wear you might wear a mask is particularly helpful with rebuilding confidence.  I'm sure it was MP, rather than Chris Whitty who I read that from.

It's as easy to find scientists who believe they are of little benefit as it is to find scientists who believe they are effective.  I personally think a mask is a marginal gain at best, and at the risk of being shot down I can't wait to burn mine!

I must confess, and I appreciate this might be read with disgust, my mask just sits in my jacket pocket when not in use.  I don't wash my hands in between putting it on and taking it off and because I find them a bit restrictive and irritating (steamed up glasses is my pet hate, first world problems and all that....) I'm constantly fiddling with it when I do wear the thing.  So I guess it kinds of defeats the purpose of it anyway.  And based on my own observations when out and about, I suspect I'm not the only one with this lax approach to masks.

Since March 2020 I have only been on 4 bus journeys as a result of having to wear a face nappy while using buses, because I don't like anything covering my face, in the winter I don’t wear a scarf because of this..

My employer was encouraging people not to use public transport so instead of using the bus I have driven to work. At work I only have to wear a face nappy when I leave my desk.

Pre-COVID my personal choice was to use the bus to get to & from work and not to drive and I have got a lot less read as a result of driving instead of sitting on the bus for 30 minutes each way. I used to go on about 800 bus journeys a year and I cannot wait to get back to travelling around, not to have to wear a face nappy all the time and to be able to breathe as well.

Chris 1

07 Jul 2021, 12:28 pm #279
(06 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm)IRHardy Since March 2020 I have only been on 4 bus journeys as a result of having to wear a face nappy while using buses, because I don't like anything covering my face, in the winter I don’t wear a scarf because of this..

I feel a bit for operators, as to an extent they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Passengers, and potential passengers, on both sides of the mask debate will be influenced by masks when they decide if they're going to use the bus or not.  My parents have been Metrocentre stalwarts for years when it comes to shopping, but last week chose to have a mooch in Newcastle instead so they didn't have to wear a mask for the whole time.
Chris 1
07 Jul 2021, 12:28 pm #279

(06 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm)IRHardy Since March 2020 I have only been on 4 bus journeys as a result of having to wear a face nappy while using buses, because I don't like anything covering my face, in the winter I don’t wear a scarf because of this..

I feel a bit for operators, as to an extent they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Passengers, and potential passengers, on both sides of the mask debate will be influenced by masks when they decide if they're going to use the bus or not.  My parents have been Metrocentre stalwarts for years when it comes to shopping, but last week chose to have a mooch in Newcastle instead so they didn't have to wear a mask for the whole time.

Adrian

07 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm #280

'Face nappy' is a bit derogatory, isn't it? I don't think anybody particularly likes covering their face, but I'd hope most wouldn't consider using terms like that to describe people who opt to continue doing so.

Anyway, it sounds like this 'personal choice' may not be as much a choice as made out. A number of airlines have already stated they'll continue mandating, as have Nexus with the Metro (presumably covered by byelaw 12). I'd imagine NEBus will be meeting with a view of agreeing a consistent approach for buses going forward.

Adrian
07 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm #280

'Face nappy' is a bit derogatory, isn't it? I don't think anybody particularly likes covering their face, but I'd hope most wouldn't consider using terms like that to describe people who opt to continue doing so.

Anyway, it sounds like this 'personal choice' may not be as much a choice as made out. A number of airlines have already stated they'll continue mandating, as have Nexus with the Metro (presumably covered by byelaw 12). I'd imagine NEBus will be meeting with a view of agreeing a consistent approach for buses going forward.

Pages (17) Previous 113 14 1517 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average