Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17) Previous 15 6 717 Next
Michael

20 May 2020, 10:28 am #101
Optare have started the process of re-opening the business with new policies and procedures in place to make a safe working environment for our colleagues.

https://twitter.com/Optaregroup/status/1...5007418368

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 May 2020, 10:28 am #101

Optare have started the process of re-opening the business with new policies and procedures in place to make a safe working environment for our colleagues.

https://twitter.com/Optaregroup/status/1...5007418368

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

21 May 2020, 10:15 pm #102
Looks like Wrightbus are cutting 125 jobs due to Corona.

90 of those are agency workers so they're only really 'laying off' 35 employees. 
I find it a bit odd that they're not just furloughing the 35 but making them redundant, and I suppose those agency workers will still be able to get furloughed by the agency they work for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52759676
streetdeckfan
21 May 2020, 10:15 pm #102

Looks like Wrightbus are cutting 125 jobs due to Corona.

90 of those are agency workers so they're only really 'laying off' 35 employees. 
I find it a bit odd that they're not just furloughing the 35 but making them redundant, and I suppose those agency workers will still be able to get furloughed by the agency they work for.

Storx

22 May 2020, 10:51 am #103
(21 May 2020, 10:15 pm)streetdeckfan Looks like Wrightbus are cutting 125 jobs due to Corona.

Imagine it's more because of lack of orders etc so there isn't any need for them in the future. No point furloughing someone one if your going to just lay them off at the end anyway.
Storx
22 May 2020, 10:51 am #103

(21 May 2020, 10:15 pm)streetdeckfan Looks like Wrightbus are cutting 125 jobs due to Corona.

Imagine it's more because of lack of orders etc so there isn't any need for them in the future. No point furloughing someone one if your going to just lay them off at the end anyway.

22 May 2020, 10:54 am #104
(22 May 2020, 10:51 am)Storx Imagine it's more because of lack of orders etc so there isn't any need for them in the future. No point furloughing someone one if your going to just lay them off at the end anyway.

But you might as well take advantage of the fact the government will pay 80% of the wages. It's a win-win for the company and the employee. At least if they tell them they'll lay them off once the furlough scheme ends, they can look for other work in the mean time, or even start another job now and get both wages
streetdeckfan
22 May 2020, 10:54 am #104

(22 May 2020, 10:51 am)Storx Imagine it's more because of lack of orders etc so there isn't any need for them in the future. No point furloughing someone one if your going to just lay them off at the end anyway.

But you might as well take advantage of the fact the government will pay 80% of the wages. It's a win-win for the company and the employee. At least if they tell them they'll lay them off once the furlough scheme ends, they can look for other work in the mean time, or even start another job now and get both wages

Dan

Site Administrator

22 May 2020, 11:31 am #105
(22 May 2020, 10:54 am)streetdeckfan But you might as well take advantage of the fact the government will pay 80% of the wages. It's a win-win for the company and the employee. At least if they tell them they'll lay them off once the furlough scheme ends, they can look for other work in the mean time, or even start another job now and get both wages

That's what they probably are doing:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2...-furlough/
Dan
22 May 2020, 11:31 am #105

(22 May 2020, 10:54 am)streetdeckfan But you might as well take advantage of the fact the government will pay 80% of the wages. It's a win-win for the company and the employee. At least if they tell them they'll lay them off once the furlough scheme ends, they can look for other work in the mean time, or even start another job now and get both wages

That's what they probably are doing:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2...-furlough/

citaro5284

23 May 2020, 10:48 am #106
Transport Secretary announces new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/trans...the-future
citaro5284
23 May 2020, 10:48 am #106

Transport Secretary announces new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/trans...the-future

James101

12 Jun 2020, 8:53 pm #107
Bus company’s social media posts regarding face coverings seem to have gone down like a cup of cold sick. Wonder how many drivers are going to see passengers flick out their cigarettes as the bus pulls up only to be presented with the list of breathing illnesses they suffer from to be exempt.
James101
12 Jun 2020, 8:53 pm #107

Bus company’s social media posts regarding face coverings seem to have gone down like a cup of cold sick. Wonder how many drivers are going to see passengers flick out their cigarettes as the bus pulls up only to be presented with the list of breathing illnesses they suffer from to be exempt.

Andreos1

12 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm #108
(12 Jun 2020, 8:53 pm)James101 Bus company’s social media posts regarding face coverings seem to have gone down like a cup of cold sick. Wonder how many drivers are going to see passengers flick out their cigarettes as the bus pulls up only to be presented with the list of breathing illnesses they suffer from to be exempt.

I genuinely feel sorry for the front line, customer facing staff. Being paid a pitance, yet having that responsibility placed upon them - on top of all of the other responsibilities that they have.

Genuinely expecting the 'the bus didn't stop' complaints to go through the roof over the next week or two.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm #108

(12 Jun 2020, 8:53 pm)James101 Bus company’s social media posts regarding face coverings seem to have gone down like a cup of cold sick. Wonder how many drivers are going to see passengers flick out their cigarettes as the bus pulls up only to be presented with the list of breathing illnesses they suffer from to be exempt.

I genuinely feel sorry for the front line, customer facing staff. Being paid a pitance, yet having that responsibility placed upon them - on top of all of the other responsibilities that they have.

Genuinely expecting the 'the bus didn't stop' complaints to go through the roof over the next week or two.

Charles41

13 Jun 2020, 6:22 am #109
I drove past National Holidays' garage at Washington yesterday afternoon. The garage was completely empty. Last time I passed in March there were approximately fifty coaches crammed into the yard. Its a real shame to see the end of this company, the holidays were excellent value.

Charles
Charles41
13 Jun 2020, 6:22 am #109

I drove past National Holidays' garage at Washington yesterday afternoon. The garage was completely empty. Last time I passed in March there were approximately fifty coaches crammed into the yard. Its a real shame to see the end of this company, the holidays were excellent value.

Charles

idiot

13 Jun 2020, 8:25 am #110
I cycled past a fortnight ago or so Charles and there was about 30 coaches there
idiot
13 Jun 2020, 8:25 am #110

I cycled past a fortnight ago or so Charles and there was about 30 coaches there

18 Jun 2020, 2:11 am #111

Noticed a few passengers earlier when I was out not using them (some had them pulled down to their chin) when went out for a bit of spotting (I was using the car to get about)

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
18 Jun 2020, 2:11 am #111

Noticed a few passengers earlier when I was out not using them (some had them pulled down to their chin) when went out for a bit of spotting (I was using the car to get about)

Andreos1

18 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm #112
(18 Jun 2020, 2:11 am)TEN 6083 Noticed a few passengers earlier when I was out not using them ( some had them pulled down to their chin ) when went out for a bit of spotting (I was using the car to get about)

*just saying*

(disclaimer - some might find the screenshot a little rude)
Attached Files

Andreos1
18 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm #112

(18 Jun 2020, 2:11 am)TEN 6083 Noticed a few passengers earlier when I was out not using them ( some had them pulled down to their chin ) when went out for a bit of spotting (I was using the car to get about)

*just saying*

(disclaimer - some might find the screenshot a little rude)

Attached Files

18 Jun 2020, 9:43 pm #113
I was out and about today and I was surprised by the amount of people who weren't wearing a mask properly, or simply took them off once they got to their seat. What makes me laugh the most is the people who will pull them down when they talk

As an asthmatic I can understand why some people can't wear them (I tried today and after about 5 minutes I had to take it off), but I'd imagine there are some people who will lie just to get out of wearing them
streetdeckfan
18 Jun 2020, 9:43 pm #113

I was out and about today and I was surprised by the amount of people who weren't wearing a mask properly, or simply took them off once they got to their seat. What makes me laugh the most is the people who will pull them down when they talk

As an asthmatic I can understand why some people can't wear them (I tried today and after about 5 minutes I had to take it off), but I'd imagine there are some people who will lie just to get out of wearing them

19 Jun 2020, 12:21 am #114
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news...tagecoach/

We can't make passengers wear masks on buses, says Stagecoach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
19 Jun 2020, 12:21 am #114

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news...tagecoach/

19 Jun 2020, 1:26 am #115
(19 Jun 2020, 12:21 am)TEN 6083 https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news...tagecoach/

Well, they can.
It's a condition of travel, if you don't wear a face covering you don't get on. Simple as (unless you've got a valid reason)

Them saying they can't enforce it is like them saying they can't enforce passengers paying for their fares. I bet if someone just walked on the bus and sat down they wouldn't think twice before enforcing that condition of travel!
streetdeckfan
19 Jun 2020, 1:26 am #115

(19 Jun 2020, 12:21 am)TEN 6083 https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news...tagecoach/

Well, they can.
It's a condition of travel, if you don't wear a face covering you don't get on. Simple as (unless you've got a valid reason)

Them saying they can't enforce it is like them saying they can't enforce passengers paying for their fares. I bet if someone just walked on the bus and sat down they wouldn't think twice before enforcing that condition of travel!

BusLoverMum

20 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm #116
I do see aot of chin hammocks, out and about.

It's the hour each wY on a hot angel with a mask that deters me from a visit to Fenwick, at the moment.
BusLoverMum
20 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm #116

I do see aot of chin hammocks, out and about.

It's the hour each wY on a hot angel with a mask that deters me from a visit to Fenwick, at the moment.

20 Jun 2020, 11:18 pm #117
(20 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm)BusLoverMum I do see aot of chin hammocks, out  and about.

I actually find the air conditioning on the StreetDecks to be extremely good, especially with the buses as empty as they are. Last year when it was really warm I got the X21 just to cool down before I bought my AC unit for the house.
streetdeckfan
20 Jun 2020, 11:18 pm #117

(20 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm)BusLoverMum I do see aot of chin hammocks, out  and about.

I actually find the air conditioning on the StreetDecks to be extremely good, especially with the buses as empty as they are. Last year when it was really warm I got the X21 just to cool down before I bought my AC unit for the house.

Stanleyone

21 Jun 2020, 4:36 am #118
(19 Jun 2020, 1:26 am)streetdeckfan Well, they can.

We can't enforce them, we're not police. We advise and remind them of the rules. I believe it was added to public health guidance but not conditions of carriage which makes all the difference. You'll probably not be surprised at those thinking it's ok to have a face covering on at boarding then take it off once seated.
Stanleyone
21 Jun 2020, 4:36 am #118

(19 Jun 2020, 1:26 am)streetdeckfan Well, they can.

We can't enforce them, we're not police. We advise and remind them of the rules. I believe it was added to public health guidance but not conditions of carriage which makes all the difference. You'll probably not be surprised at those thinking it's ok to have a face covering on at boarding then take it off once seated.

21 Jun 2020, 2:13 pm #119
(21 Jun 2020, 4:36 am)Stanleyone We can't enforce them, we're not police. We advise and remind them of the rules. I believe it was added to public health guidance but not conditions of carriage which makes all the difference. You'll probably not be surprised at those thinking it's ok to have a face covering on at boarding then take it off once seated.

Going back watching the announcement, the transport secretary said "So, when more people return to the network, from 15 June onwards, they will be required to wear a face covering on our transport network. We’ll make these rules changes under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the Public Service Vehicle Regulations for buses. This will mean you can be refused travel if you don’t comply and could be fined."
So the operators have every right to refuse travel to people who aren't wearing it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/t...-june-2020

I believe it was also said during the questions that operators should add it to their own conditions of carriage, although I can't be bothered to sit through the whole thing to find the exact quote!
streetdeckfan
21 Jun 2020, 2:13 pm #119

(21 Jun 2020, 4:36 am)Stanleyone We can't enforce them, we're not police. We advise and remind them of the rules. I believe it was added to public health guidance but not conditions of carriage which makes all the difference. You'll probably not be surprised at those thinking it's ok to have a face covering on at boarding then take it off once seated.

Going back watching the announcement, the transport secretary said "So, when more people return to the network, from 15 June onwards, they will be required to wear a face covering on our transport network. We’ll make these rules changes under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the Public Service Vehicle Regulations for buses. This will mean you can be refused travel if you don’t comply and could be fined."
So the operators have every right to refuse travel to people who aren't wearing it.

I believe it was also said during the questions that operators should add it to their own conditions of carriage, although I can't be bothered to sit through the whole thing to find the exact quote!

21 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm #120
(21 Jun 2020, 2:13 pm)streetdeckfan Going back watching the announcement, the transport secretary said "So, when more people return to the network, from 15 June onwards, they will be required to wear a face covering on our transport network. We’ll make these rules changes under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the Public Service Vehicle Regulations for buses. This will mean you can be refused travel if you don’t comply and could be fined."

They may have said that, but they've given them no powers to enforce it, and I don't think they've actually told anybody else with the correct powers (council or police) to enforce it either.
deanmachine
21 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm #120

(21 Jun 2020, 2:13 pm)streetdeckfan Going back watching the announcement, the transport secretary said "So, when more people return to the network, from 15 June onwards, they will be required to wear a face covering on our transport network. We’ll make these rules changes under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the Public Service Vehicle Regulations for buses. This will mean you can be refused travel if you don’t comply and could be fined."

They may have said that, but they've given them no powers to enforce it, and I don't think they've actually told anybody else with the correct powers (council or police) to enforce it either.

Pages (17) Previous 15 6 717 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average