Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17) Previous 17 8 917 Next
Michael

23 Jun 2020, 12:13 pm #141
(23 Jun 2020, 10:43 am)Michael Boris on tonight announcing further places can open, such as cinema's and museums, dropping from 2m to 1m for social distancing, and how pubs will work.

List of what's opening on the 4th July.
Attached Files
.png
opening 4th July.png
Size 111.7 KB / Downloads 25

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Jun 2020, 12:13 pm #141

(23 Jun 2020, 10:43 am)Michael Boris on tonight announcing further places can open, such as cinema's and museums, dropping from 2m to 1m for social distancing, and how pubs will work.

List of what's opening on the 4th July.

Attached Files
.png
opening 4th July.png
Size 111.7 KB / Downloads 25

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

24 Jun 2020, 3:32 pm #142
Got on the bus for the first time since February today as I had to go into Newcastle to go to Max Spielmann to get a slide converted to a photo, everyone wore a face covering on the way in (including myself and my gf) but on the way back 3 lads got on with them on and they took them off when they sat down and we were not amused, luckily we weren’t sitting near them

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
24 Jun 2020, 3:32 pm #142

Got on the bus for the first time since February today as I had to go into Newcastle to go to Max Spielmann to get a slide converted to a photo, everyone wore a face covering on the way in (including myself and my gf) but on the way back 3 lads got on with them on and they took them off when they sat down and we were not amused, luckily we weren’t sitting near them

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

01 Jul 2020, 12:40 am #143
So I was out and about earlier today, I used 2 GNE and 2 Arriva buses and not once was I questioned why I wasn't wearing a face covering. I thought drivers were supposed to at least ask you to wear one, even if they aren't enforcing it.

There were a lot of people who either weren't wearing the mask properly (ie. not covering the nose), took it off once they sat down, or pulled it down whenever they spoke, totally defeating the point of wearing one.
streetdeckfan
01 Jul 2020, 12:40 am #143

So I was out and about earlier today, I used 2 GNE and 2 Arriva buses and not once was I questioned why I wasn't wearing a face covering. I thought drivers were supposed to at least ask you to wear one, even if they aren't enforcing it.

There were a lot of people who either weren't wearing the mask properly (ie. not covering the nose), took it off once they sat down, or pulled it down whenever they spoke, totally defeating the point of wearing one.

Stanleyone

01 Jul 2020, 7:05 am #144
(01 Jul 2020, 12:40 am)streetdeckfan So I was out and about earlier today, I used 2 GNE and 2 Arriva buses and not once was I questioned why I wasn't wearing a face covering. I thought drivers were supposed to at least ask you to wear one, even if they aren't enforcing it.

You do seem rather unlucky that 4 drivers haven't questioned your lack of face covering. It's up to the travelling public to adhere to the rules, not for drivers to enforce it (we have been here before).
Stanleyone
01 Jul 2020, 7:05 am #144

(01 Jul 2020, 12:40 am)streetdeckfan So I was out and about earlier today, I used 2 GNE and 2 Arriva buses and not once was I questioned why I wasn't wearing a face covering. I thought drivers were supposed to at least ask you to wear one, even if they aren't enforcing it.

You do seem rather unlucky that 4 drivers haven't questioned your lack of face covering. It's up to the travelling public to adhere to the rules, not for drivers to enforce it (we have been here before).

BusLoverMum

01 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm #145
Quite a few bus stop laybys have been infilled to increase the opportunities for social distancing for waiting passengers. This pRticular stop is problematic, at the best of times, often with 3 buses arriving at once. Arguably, it needs to be 2 bus stops but that would take a bit of planning and cost a fair bit. This, hopefully temporary solution isn't universally popular, though, as roads are back to almost normal levels of busyness.

New Covid-19 compliant Durham bus stop is an 'accident waiting to happen'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...p_AppShare
BusLoverMum
01 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm #145

Quite a few bus stop laybys have been infilled to increase the opportunities for social distancing for waiting passengers. This pRticular stop is problematic, at the best of times, often with 3 buses arriving at once. Arguably, it needs to be 2 bus stops but that would take a bit of planning and cost a fair bit. This, hopefully temporary solution isn't universally popular, though, as roads are back to almost normal levels of busyness.

01 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm #146
(01 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm)BusLoverMum Quite a few bus stop laybys have been infilled to increase the opportunities for social distancing for waiting passengers. This pRticular stop is problematic, at the best of times, often with 3 buses arriving at once. Arguably, it needs to be 2 bus stops but that would take a bit of planning and cost a fair bit. This, hopefully temporary solution isn't universally popular, though, as roads are back to almost normal levels of busyness.

Yeah, they've started doing it in Spennymoor and Bishop as well. Not so bad in Bishop where most of the traffic is buses anyway, but in Spennymoor, between filling in the stops and blocking off the parking bays, it's a complete nightmare!
streetdeckfan
01 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm #146

(01 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm)BusLoverMum Quite a few bus stop laybys have been infilled to increase the opportunities for social distancing for waiting passengers. This pRticular stop is problematic, at the best of times, often with 3 buses arriving at once. Arguably, it needs to be 2 bus stops but that would take a bit of planning and cost a fair bit. This, hopefully temporary solution isn't universally popular, though, as roads are back to almost normal levels of busyness.

Yeah, they've started doing it in Spennymoor and Bishop as well. Not so bad in Bishop where most of the traffic is buses anyway, but in Spennymoor, between filling in the stops and blocking off the parking bays, it's a complete nightmare!

James101

01 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm #147

Just in time for social distancing to be reduced to 1M. Don't think I've ever been compelled to get within 1M of anyone at a bus stop of any type. What a waste of time.

Meanwhile First Potteries have gone full bore on the mask front:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/sto...er-4277612
Edited 01 Jul 2020, 8:57 pm by James101.
James101
01 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm #147

Just in time for social distancing to be reduced to 1M. Don't think I've ever been compelled to get within 1M of anyone at a bus stop of any type. What a waste of time.

01 Jul 2020, 9:39 pm #148
(01 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm)James101 Just in time for social distancing to be reduced to 1M. Don't think I've ever been compelled to get within 1M of anyone at a bus stop of any type. What a waste of time.

Even before all this, I always went out of my way to make sure I was as far away from other people as physically possible!

The thing is, if the operators are saying that they are not going to be enforcing the rules, then what incentive do passengers have to follow them.
As I've said before, it is the LAW to wear a face covering on public transport, if you're not exempt from wearing one, then you shouldn't be allowed on board without one!
Drivers might not want to enforce it, but they'd have no issue asking someone to get off if they can't pay, so why is wearing a face covering any different?

I get that it's a pretty hard thing to enforce without proof of exemption, but drivers should at least try and make an effort, as I said, yesterday I got 4 buses and not once was I asked why I wasn't wearing one. When they first started requiring it, I used several buses without a mask and it wasn't questioned then either. 

If this is going to go on for the foreseeable, then maybe they need to look into some sort of scheme like the blue badge for parking
streetdeckfan
01 Jul 2020, 9:39 pm #148

(01 Jul 2020, 8:52 pm)James101 Just in time for social distancing to be reduced to 1M. Don't think I've ever been compelled to get within 1M of anyone at a bus stop of any type. What a waste of time.

Even before all this, I always went out of my way to make sure I was as far away from other people as physically possible!

The thing is, if the operators are saying that they are not going to be enforcing the rules, then what incentive do passengers have to follow them.
As I've said before, it is the LAW to wear a face covering on public transport, if you're not exempt from wearing one, then you shouldn't be allowed on board without one!
Drivers might not want to enforce it, but they'd have no issue asking someone to get off if they can't pay, so why is wearing a face covering any different?

I get that it's a pretty hard thing to enforce without proof of exemption, but drivers should at least try and make an effort, as I said, yesterday I got 4 buses and not once was I asked why I wasn't wearing one. When they first started requiring it, I used several buses without a mask and it wasn't questioned then either. 

If this is going to go on for the foreseeable, then maybe they need to look into some sort of scheme like the blue badge for parking

James101

01 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm #149
(01 Jul 2020, 9:39 pm)streetdeckfan Even before all this, I always went out of my way to make sure I was as far away from other people as physically possible!

What can the driver realistically do though?

’You should be wearing a mask’

’Nah you’re alright’, beeps pass, sits down.

Whole world of safety and liability issues if the driver is expected to leave the cab to deal with the passenger. Refuse to proceed and the ensuing disruption is greater than just allowing the passenger to ride. The police can take a week to follow up a burglary, good luck getting them to come out for an errant face covering.

Bet you’re over the moon you’ll finally be able to leave the house at the end of the month when the advice on shielding with those for severe asthma comes to an end.
James101
01 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm #149

(01 Jul 2020, 9:39 pm)streetdeckfan Even before all this, I always went out of my way to make sure I was as far away from other people as physically possible!

What can the driver realistically do though?

Whole world of safety and liability issues if the driver is expected to leave the cab to deal with the passenger. Refuse to proceed and the ensuing disruption is greater than just allowing the passenger to ride. The police can take a week to follow up a burglary, good luck getting them to come out for an errant face covering.

Bet you’re over the moon you’ll finally be able to leave the house at the end of the month when the advice on shielding with those for severe asthma comes to an end.

01 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm #150
(01 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm)James101 What can the driver realistically do though?

Well, for start they could actually bother asking them to wear a mask!
Seriously though, if they then respond saying they're exempt, the driver lets them sit down, if they feel comfortable asking why they're exempt, then they should.
If they respond "Nah, you're alright", the driver should say "It's the law to wear a face covering when using public transport, unless you're exempt I'm going to have to ask you to leave".
If they then proceed to sit down, they should follow the same policy they use when someone boards without paying (whether it's a case of 'get over it and move on', or report them the police).

My main issue isn't necessarily with the people not wearing the face coverings, but the fact they're picking and choosing which rules to enforce

I mean, my asthma isn't severe enough to be shielding, but bad enough where I can't breathe through a mask.
Although if I'm not mistaken, they can leave the house from the 6th July as they don't fall under the ones that need to keep shielding until the end of July
streetdeckfan
01 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm #150

Well, for start they could actually bother asking them to wear a mask!
Seriously though, if they then respond saying they're exempt, the driver lets them sit down, if they feel comfortable asking why they're exempt, then they should.
If they respond "Nah, you're alright", the driver should say "It's the law to wear a face covering when using public transport, unless you're exempt I'm going to have to ask you to leave".
If they then proceed to sit down, they should follow the same policy they use when someone boards without paying (whether it's a case of 'get over it and move on', or report them the police).

My main issue isn't necessarily with the people not wearing the face coverings, but the fact they're picking and choosing which rules to enforce

I mean, my asthma isn't severe enough to be shielding, but bad enough where I can't breathe through a mask.
Although if I'm not mistaken, they can leave the house from the 6th July as they don't fall under the ones that need to keep shielding until the end of July

Andreos1

02 Jul 2020, 10:12 am #151

So are you saying you've broken the law? Any other crimes you want to admit to when you're on?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Jul 2020, 10:12 am #151

So are you saying you've broken the law? Any other crimes you want to admit to when you're on?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Stanleyone

02 Jul 2020, 10:42 am #152
(01 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm)streetdeckfan Well, for start they could actually bother asking them to wear a mask!

Already is schemes in place, maybe you should use your excellent keyboard warrior skills to find them out. However here's a clue, Helping Hands on GNE page and a similar scheme on nexus page, both of which I have seen on numerous occasions. As Andreos 1 says, maybe stop breaking the law, you might want to get a hold of an exemption card and stop the endless and somewhat boring ramblings on about passengers not being challenged by drivers who are much better placed than yourself.
Stanleyone
02 Jul 2020, 10:42 am #152

(01 Jul 2020, 10:33 pm)streetdeckfan Well, for start they could actually bother asking them to wear a mask!

Already is schemes in place, maybe you should use your excellent keyboard warrior skills to find them out. However here's a clue, Helping Hands on GNE page and a similar scheme on nexus page, both of which I have seen on numerous occasions. As Andreos 1 says, maybe stop breaking the law, you might want to get a hold of an exemption card and stop the endless and somewhat boring ramblings on about passengers not being challenged by drivers who are much better placed than yourself.

BusLoverMum

02 Jul 2020, 7:39 pm #153
(01 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm)streetdeckfan Yeah, they've started doing it in Spennymoor and Bishop as well. Not so bad in Bishop where most of the traffic is buses anyway, but in Spennymoor, between filling in the stops and blocking off the parking bays, it's a complete nightmare!
The roads in spenny are narrow enough already!

I could clearly see the problem at the hospital, this afternoon. Everybody overtakes the stationary bus, crossing over onto the wrong side of the road, in the process. Give it a couple of months, when the end of furlough means we have rush hour back and a bus stopping would cause a tailback as far as county hall.

Not all people with asthma were in the shielding group, to start with, and a lot got removed from it a few weeks ago.
Edited 02 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
02 Jul 2020, 7:39 pm #153

(01 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm)streetdeckfan Yeah, they've started doing it in Spennymoor and Bishop as well. Not so bad in Bishop where most of the traffic is buses anyway, but in Spennymoor, between filling in the stops and blocking off the parking bays, it's a complete nightmare!
The roads in spenny are narrow enough already!

I could clearly see the problem at the hospital, this afternoon. Everybody overtakes the stationary bus, crossing over onto the wrong side of the road, in the process. Give it a couple of months, when the end of furlough means we have rush hour back and a bus stopping would cause a tailback as far as county hall.

Not all people with asthma were in the shielding group, to start with, and a lot got removed from it a few weeks ago.

16 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm #154
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/poli...es-2913580

North East bus companies could be forced into changes in return for handouts from authorities

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
16 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm #154

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/poli...es-2913580

North East bus companies could be forced into changes in return for handouts from authorities

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S830OFT

16 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm #155
It would make life easier if councils can ensure bus operators don't change routes around whenever they please. Sunderland's network is one example where bus routes are changed so much, it is hard to manage to know the timetable, when it changes months later...

Stagecoach have made vast cuts the last few years, and shipped off older MAN's to Sunderland and Shields, therefore making services less reliable and less attractive to use. It would be nice to see if Stagecoach intend to get any newer cast-offs for these two Depots as it will greatly increase reliability on many of the routes they run on.

The E services seem to be neglected at the moment, with a very mixed allocation of MAN200s, Enviro 200s, Enviro 300s, Enviro 400s & Gas Buses. Personally I think 28001 - 28017 would make a good allocation, seeing as 27726 - 27740 regularly end up off the road or on other services, although with Stagecoach everything is mixed at the moment, including opinions on the new livery, lol...

S830OFT
16 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm #155

It would make life easier if councils can ensure bus operators don't change routes around whenever they please. Sunderland's network is one example where bus routes are changed so much, it is hard to manage to know the timetable, when it changes months later...

Stagecoach have made vast cuts the last few years, and shipped off older MAN's to Sunderland and Shields, therefore making services less reliable and less attractive to use. It would be nice to see if Stagecoach intend to get any newer cast-offs for these two Depots as it will greatly increase reliability on many of the routes they run on.

The E services seem to be neglected at the moment, with a very mixed allocation of MAN200s, Enviro 200s, Enviro 300s, Enviro 400s & Gas Buses. Personally I think 28001 - 28017 would make a good allocation, seeing as 27726 - 27740 regularly end up off the road or on other services, although with Stagecoach everything is mixed at the moment, including opinions on the new livery, lol...

James101

17 Jul 2020, 12:39 pm #156
Yesterday's Newsnight touched on the the likelihood of companies permanently adopting home working or at least downsizing workplaces. The associated impact on public transport was discussed. As less people travel to work at all and many workplaces are decentralised, public transport requirements are less straight-forward. The hub-spoke orientated around the city centre will not be relevant for many people. The conclusion was public transport will become less profitable and there will need to be a grown-up conversation about whether government takes control over transport or we collectively decide we don't need it to the same extent we did.
James101
17 Jul 2020, 12:39 pm #156

Yesterday's Newsnight touched on the the likelihood of companies permanently adopting home working or at least downsizing workplaces. The associated impact on public transport was discussed. As less people travel to work at all and many workplaces are decentralised, public transport requirements are less straight-forward. The hub-spoke orientated around the city centre will not be relevant for many people. The conclusion was public transport will become less profitable and there will need to be a grown-up conversation about whether government takes control over transport or we collectively decide we don't need it to the same extent we did.

Michael

01 Aug 2020, 3:57 pm #157
Up to 4 pubs in Sunderland have had to close, due to some ****, deciding to go out last night while waiting for a Covid-19 test result... which was then came back positive.............

The Golden Fleece
The Cavalier
Ryhope Cricket club
The Foresters

Are all effected

I bet more appear later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Aug 2020, 3:57 pm #157

Up to 4 pubs in Sunderland have had to close, due to some ****, deciding to go out last night while waiting for a Covid-19 test result... which was then came back positive.............

The Golden Fleece
The Cavalier
Ryhope Cricket club
The Foresters

Are all effected

I bet more appear later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

01 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm #158
Has The Foresters been confirmed?
idiot
01 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm #158

Has The Foresters been confirmed?

Michael

01 Aug 2020, 6:01 pm #159
(01 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm)idiot Has The Foresters been confirmed?

Apparently he didn't go in it now,so its open, just been confirmed

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Aug 2020, 6:01 pm #159

(01 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm)idiot Has The Foresters been confirmed?

Apparently he didn't go in it now,so its open, just been confirmed

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

01 Aug 2020, 8:53 pm #160
What an absolute clown he was. Hoping he is named and shamed.
idiot
01 Aug 2020, 8:53 pm #160

What an absolute clown he was. Hoping he is named and shamed.

Pages (17) Previous 17 8 917 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average