Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (12) Previous 13 4 512 Next
Adrian

03 Sep 2021, 9:10 am #61
(02 Sep 2021, 11:00 pm)JP6004 It's not put up or shut up. People are going to peeved either way. But if changes arent made to address the CAZ, this will be of detriment to the whole network. Just some people arent able to grasp with the reasoning. Yes the average Joe bloggs will see a backward step, but I believe the refurb is trying to offset some of the negativity.....although the USBs on the versas haven't been installed yet

It's exactly what it is. By suggesting that the alternative is a lot worse, you're telling people to put up with it and shut up about it.

The overwhelming majority of people travelling aren't enthusiasts and have no interest in the bus, other than to get them from A to B. They don't need to grasp the reasoning, and will only acknowledge the end result to them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Sep 2021, 9:10 am #61

(02 Sep 2021, 11:00 pm)JP6004 It's not put up or shut up. People are going to peeved either way. But if changes arent made to address the CAZ, this will be of detriment to the whole network. Just some people arent able to grasp with the reasoning. Yes the average Joe bloggs will see a backward step, but I believe the refurb is trying to offset some of the negativity.....although the USBs on the versas haven't been installed yet

It's exactly what it is. By suggesting that the alternative is a lot worse, you're telling people to put up with it and shut up about it.

The overwhelming majority of people travelling aren't enthusiasts and have no interest in the bus, other than to get them from A to B. They don't need to grasp the reasoning, and will only acknowledge the end result to them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

ne14ne1

03 Sep 2021, 9:29 am #62
(03 Sep 2021, 8:26 am)streetdeckfan Don't forget, even the likes of the New Routemaster are getting on for 10 years old now! I'm sure you wouldn't complain if you got a refurbished one of those!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

I’d be happy to take them unrefurbished! Nice quiet smooth hybrid drive, quick boarding/alighting and NSA*, all you really need! Perfect! 

*iBus system guts would need switched out for our NSA type controller, granted.
ne14ne1
03 Sep 2021, 9:29 am #62

(03 Sep 2021, 8:26 am)streetdeckfan Don't forget, even the likes of the New Routemaster are getting on for 10 years old now! I'm sure you wouldn't complain if you got a refurbished one of those!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

I’d be happy to take them unrefurbished! Nice quiet smooth hybrid drive, quick boarding/alighting and NSA*, all you really need! Perfect! 

03 Sep 2021, 11:05 am #63
(03 Sep 2021, 9:29 am)ne14ne1 I’d be happy to take them unrefurbished! Nice quiet smooth hybrid drive, quick boarding/alighting and NSA*, all you really need! Perfect! 

Unfortunatly  the pandemic has put pay to new vehicles this year. I'm sure the original intention was to dispose of all the Mercs except for those on the 4 and some of the oldest Versas and replace them with new vehicles many of which might of ended up in Sunderland. GNE has had to juggle it's fleet around in order to place Euro 6 buses on it's Newcastle services. Yes certain buses can be upgraded to euro 6 but they will only do the ones they think have more than just a couple of years more life left in them.
ian foster
03 Sep 2021, 11:05 am #63

(03 Sep 2021, 9:29 am)ne14ne1 I’d be happy to take them unrefurbished! Nice quiet smooth hybrid drive, quick boarding/alighting and NSA*, all you really need! Perfect! 

Unfortunatly  the pandemic has put pay to new vehicles this year. I'm sure the original intention was to dispose of all the Mercs except for those on the 4 and some of the oldest Versas and replace them with new vehicles many of which might of ended up in Sunderland. GNE has had to juggle it's fleet around in order to place Euro 6 buses on it's Newcastle services. Yes certain buses can be upgraded to euro 6 but they will only do the ones they think have more than just a couple of years more life left in them.

idiot

03 Sep 2021, 12:08 pm #64
How will the caz be enforced? ANPR? Will the council cross reference all regs to what is euro 6?
idiot
03 Sep 2021, 12:08 pm #64

How will the caz be enforced? ANPR? Will the council cross reference all regs to what is euro 6?

03 Sep 2021, 12:36 pm #65
I do wonder how the CAZ is going to effect Metro Replacements. Big line closure through Newcastle City Centre, sorry nobody can supply buses unless we take all our front line vehicles off service work on a Saturday, unlucky Nexus.
deanmachine
03 Sep 2021, 12:36 pm #65

I do wonder how the CAZ is going to effect Metro Replacements. Big line closure through Newcastle City Centre, sorry nobody can supply buses unless we take all our front line vehicles off service work on a Saturday, unlucky Nexus.

Andreos1

03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm #66
I've always wondered about older vehicles being allocated to less popular routes.
It's almost like operators are giving up on it and are going through the motions.

What if (and its a big what if)? An operator was able to justify a business case to grow a route and to do so by allocating new vehicles to it.
Almost like a pump prime of frequency and a new allocation of vehicles. 
I'm trying to think of an example of a route left to rot and maybe because its close to my heart - but the 71 is the one jumping out.
It went from an allocation of brand new 51 plate Presidents on the 21a to T reg acquired darts when the 71 was launched in 2006.
If that route was launched with a brand new 56 plate Scania or even a 55 plate Solar - would the 71 have been a success? Couple it with some marketing, advertising and something to soften the fact fares doubled overnight... 

We keep seeing that 'experimental' services aren't a success. Why? Is it pricing? Frequency? Timetables? Connections? Something else - such as the vehicle type? Or a combination?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm #66

I've always wondered about older vehicles being allocated to less popular routes.
It's almost like operators are giving up on it and are going through the motions.

What if (and its a big what if)? An operator was able to justify a business case to grow a route and to do so by allocating new vehicles to it.
I'm trying to think of an example of a route left to rot and maybe because its close to my heart - but the 71 is the one jumping out.
It went from an allocation of brand new 51 plate Presidents on the 21a to T reg acquired darts when the 71 was launched in 2006.
If that route was launched with a brand new 56 plate Scania or even a 55 plate Solar - would the 71 have been a success? Couple it with some marketing, advertising and something to soften the fact fares doubled overnight... 

We keep seeing that 'experimental' services aren't a success. Why? Is it pricing? Frequency? Timetables? Connections? Something else - such as the vehicle type? Or a combination?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

03 Sep 2021, 1:19 pm #67
(03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm)Andreos1 I've always wondered about older vehicles being allocated to less popular routes.

Didn't GNE do that with the Town End Farm 36? Just ended up as a bus war between them and Stagecoach, of course might have had a different outcome on an uncontested route.
deanmachine
03 Sep 2021, 1:19 pm #67

(03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm)Andreos1 I've always wondered about older vehicles being allocated to less popular routes.

Didn't GNE do that with the Town End Farm 36? Just ended up as a bus war between them and Stagecoach, of course might have had a different outcome on an uncontested route.

MurdnunoC

03 Sep 2021, 1:32 pm #68
(03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm)Andreos1 We keep seeing that 'experimental' services aren't a success. Why? Is it pricing? Frequency? Timetables? Connections? Something else - such as the vehicle type? Or a combination?

I don't necessarily think vehicle type matters that much, but I think Pricing, Frequency, Timetabling  and Connections certainly play a huge part.

As for the 'Something Else', I would suggest that, in some cases, the experiment has not been allocated a sufficient period of time to yield the results desired by the operator. For a service to be successful, I think you have to build up some sort of capital with whomever your passengers are. A start-up business is usually required  to have a five-year plan in place to secure loans or investment. Part of that plan will assume that growth is achieved on a year-by-year basis and, perhaps, for the first couple of years, breaking even is the best you can hope for as you grow your business while, in years three to five, you will be able to turn a profit  It takes time. For me, a bus service should be no different. I think it is rather arrogant for an operator to presume any new service should be an instant success. Passengers are not going to flock from their cars to use tbe new service if, in all likelyhood, it is likely to be cancelled due to perceived low usage. Unless the new service is carrying no-one, it should be given a chance to grow. That growth may take more than six months or a year, it may take either two or three years and, by that time, the experiment may have ended.
MurdnunoC
03 Sep 2021, 1:32 pm #68

(03 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm)Andreos1 We keep seeing that 'experimental' services aren't a success. Why? Is it pricing? Frequency? Timetables? Connections? Something else - such as the vehicle type? Or a combination?

I don't necessarily think vehicle type matters that much, but I think Pricing, Frequency, Timetabling  and Connections certainly play a huge part.

As for the 'Something Else', I would suggest that, in some cases, the experiment has not been allocated a sufficient period of time to yield the results desired by the operator. For a service to be successful, I think you have to build up some sort of capital with whomever your passengers are. A start-up business is usually required  to have a five-year plan in place to secure loans or investment. Part of that plan will assume that growth is achieved on a year-by-year basis and, perhaps, for the first couple of years, breaking even is the best you can hope for as you grow your business while, in years three to five, you will be able to turn a profit  It takes time. For me, a bus service should be no different. I think it is rather arrogant for an operator to presume any new service should be an instant success. Passengers are not going to flock from their cars to use tbe new service if, in all likelyhood, it is likely to be cancelled due to perceived low usage. Unless the new service is carrying no-one, it should be given a chance to grow. That growth may take more than six months or a year, it may take either two or three years and, by that time, the experiment may have ended.

ne14ne1

03 Sep 2021, 4:02 pm #69
(03 Sep 2021, 11:05 am)ian foster Unfortunatly  the pandemic has put pay to new vehicles this year. I'm sure the original intention was to dispose of all the Mercs except for those on the 4 and some of the oldest Versas and replace them with new vehicles many of which might of ended up in Sunderland. GNE has had to juggle it's fleet around in order to place Euro 6 buses on it's Newcastle services. Yes certain buses can be upgraded to euro 6 but they will only do the ones they think have more than just a couple of years more life left in them.

yeah that’s exactly what we were saying. Smile
ne14ne1
03 Sep 2021, 4:02 pm #69

(03 Sep 2021, 11:05 am)ian foster Unfortunatly  the pandemic has put pay to new vehicles this year. I'm sure the original intention was to dispose of all the Mercs except for those on the 4 and some of the oldest Versas and replace them with new vehicles many of which might of ended up in Sunderland. GNE has had to juggle it's fleet around in order to place Euro 6 buses on it's Newcastle services. Yes certain buses can be upgraded to euro 6 but they will only do the ones they think have more than just a couple of years more life left in them.

yeah that’s exactly what we were saying. Smile

03 Sep 2021, 10:24 pm #70

Isn't that basically what the Kick Start scheme was back in mid 2000s?  Pretty sure that led to the Stagecoach Newcastle X47 revisions and brand new MANs at the time - think it also underpinned some of the first real branding in 2006 on the GNE Sunderland routes (26/36, 29/39, 33/42, X2/X8, 56 and the Washington locals I think) though IIRC the allocations were repaints rather than new vehicles.  I think a number of those outlasted the initial funding in some form but all (?) have gradually been eroded with the X47 seeing a frequency cut and random allocation and most of those initial 2006 branded services in Sunderland no longer in existence except the 56 maybe?
stagecoachbusdepot
03 Sep 2021, 10:24 pm #70

Isn't that basically what the Kick Start scheme was back in mid 2000s?  Pretty sure that led to the Stagecoach Newcastle X47 revisions and brand new MANs at the time - think it also underpinned some of the first real branding in 2006 on the GNE Sunderland routes (26/36, 29/39, 33/42, X2/X8, 56 and the Washington locals I think) though IIRC the allocations were repaints rather than new vehicles.  I think a number of those outlasted the initial funding in some form but all (?) have gradually been eroded with the X47 seeing a frequency cut and random allocation and most of those initial 2006 branded services in Sunderland no longer in existence except the 56 maybe?

DeltaMan

04 Sep 2021, 6:08 am #71

Unless there a funding mechanism like the old Kickstarter scheme, then due to depreciation, allocating new buses to routes which may just about break even, or run a very small profit will almost certainly mean the route will then run at a substantial loss when the costs of that new bus are factored in to actual routes costings.

It's more sensible to take a midlife bus, smarten it up with WiFi, USB etc and then do a marketing push as by that stage in a vehicles life it should just be the running costs which need paying, making a route more viable.
DeltaMan
04 Sep 2021, 6:08 am #71

Unless there a funding mechanism like the old Kickstarter scheme, then due to depreciation, allocating new buses to routes which may just about break even, or run a very small profit will almost certainly mean the route will then run at a substantial loss when the costs of that new bus are factored in to actual routes costings.

It's more sensible to take a midlife bus, smarten it up with WiFi, USB etc and then do a marketing push as by that stage in a vehicles life it should just be the running costs which need paying, making a route more viable.

col87

09 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm #72
I will be interested in what Stagecoach do with their older buses. I think short term some of the 64 plate enviros from could be swapped for the man Alexander 300s and possibly Teesside getting some of the older Enviro 400 again. No doubt Hartlepool will get the awful Manviro 200 or possibly some of the mans as well.
col87
09 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm #72

I will be interested in what Stagecoach do with their older buses. I think short term some of the 64 plate enviros from could be swapped for the man Alexander 300s and possibly Teesside getting some of the older Enviro 400 again. No doubt Hartlepool will get the awful Manviro 200 or possibly some of the mans as well.

Train8261

09 Sep 2021, 8:40 pm #73
Are any of stagecoach buses Euro 6
Train8261
09 Sep 2021, 8:40 pm #73

Are any of stagecoach buses Euro 6

09 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #74
Yes quite a few are
ThomasBooth123
09 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #74

Yes quite a few are

glen

09 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm #75
Why dont they get second hand buses to replace all old vehicles like over stagecoach fleet do why can't stagecoach north east do that?
glen
09 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm #75

Why dont they get second hand buses to replace all old vehicles like over stagecoach fleet do why can't stagecoach north east do that?

10 Sep 2021, 8:19 am #76
(09 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm)glen Why dont they get second hand buses to replace all old vehicles like over stagecoach fleet do why can't stagecoach north east do that?

Depends on whether there's actually any second-hand buses to bring in to do the replacement.

There's been very few deliveries to Stagecoach over the last year, so new buses are very much at a premium.  This in turn means that operators are having to keep hold of their slightly older vehicles and continue using them, which in turn means no vehicles available for cascade to other operators.

How soon this situation changes will depend upon how soon any operator has enough money to buy the new buses!
Ianthegoon
10 Sep 2021, 8:19 am #76

(09 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm)glen Why dont they get second hand buses to replace all old vehicles like over stagecoach fleet do why can't stagecoach north east do that?

Depends on whether there's actually any second-hand buses to bring in to do the replacement.

There's been very few deliveries to Stagecoach over the last year, so new buses are very much at a premium.  This in turn means that operators are having to keep hold of their slightly older vehicles and continue using them, which in turn means no vehicles available for cascade to other operators.

How soon this situation changes will depend upon how soon any operator has enough money to buy the new buses!

10 Sep 2021, 9:26 am #77
(10 Sep 2021, 8:19 am)Ianthegoon Depends on whether there's actually any second-hand buses to bring in to do the replacement.

Exactly that. Newcastle will raid Stockton's fleet for MAN ALX300 replacements, and Sunderland or Shields  for 36091-4/39674 replacements
54APhotography
10 Sep 2021, 9:26 am #77

(10 Sep 2021, 8:19 am)Ianthegoon Depends on whether there's actually any second-hand buses to bring in to do the replacement.

Exactly that. Newcastle will raid Stockton's fleet for MAN ALX300 replacements, and Sunderland or Shields  for 36091-4/39674 replacements

glen

10 Sep 2021, 9:49 am #78
Thanks for info mate
glen
10 Sep 2021, 9:49 am #78

Thanks for info mate

Train8261

10 Sep 2021, 11:33 am #79
What's gonna happen to Metro replacement in Newcastle when this clean air zone happen
Train8261
10 Sep 2021, 11:33 am #79

What's gonna happen to Metro replacement in Newcastle when this clean air zone happen

10 Sep 2021, 11:36 am #80
(10 Sep 2021, 11:33 am)Train8261 What's gonna happen to Metro replacement in Newcastle when this clean air zone happen
Special dispensation I would wager
54APhotography
10 Sep 2021, 11:36 am #80

(10 Sep 2021, 11:33 am)Train8261 What's gonna happen to Metro replacement in Newcastle when this clean air zone happen
Special dispensation I would wager

Pages (12) Previous 13 4 512 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average