Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (12) Previous 16 7 812 Next
glen

05 Oct 2021, 11:38 am #121
How many of Stockton E300 are going to be swop?
glen
05 Oct 2021, 11:38 am #121

How many of Stockton E300 are going to be swop?

ne14ne1

05 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm #122
Do any of the smaller operators running Presidents and Tridents run services through the CAZ area, Scholars services for example?

I know they often cover Metro Replacements but we don’t know if this work will be exempt to begin with.
ne14ne1
05 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm #122

Do any of the smaller operators running Presidents and Tridents run services through the CAZ area, Scholars services for example?

I know they often cover Metro Replacements but we don’t know if this work will be exempt to begin with.

Storx

05 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm #123
(05 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)peter I think part of the problem with Arriva's fleet is that they have too many Solo's for their present operation. And so you end up with the situation at Jesmond where there's a mixture of everything on all services because they need to try and allocate the Solo's to the boards with the fewest passengers. We've seen Blyth essentially remove it's midi-bus fleet by nabbing Pulsars which have been made spare elsewhere due to Covid reductions, but the likes of Durham and Newcastle have too many smaller vehicles which are then having to be used on services which need higher capacity.

Hopefully when it gets to the point in a few years time where a vast wave of the fleet is due for replacement, that a smaller amount of midibuses are purchased to fulfil the needs primarily at Darlington and then the odd few services elsewhere (95 at Whitby, 46/51/55/553 at Jesmond, 57/57A at Ashington and 58 at Blyth). And then the rest of the Solo's replaced by larger vehicles so that they don't have to be allocated to frontline services such as the 52/53/54 for example and can be taken out of Durham's fleet allowing the 56/57/57A/58 and 49/49A to be operated with more appropriately sized vehicles.

Yeah your right tbh. Mind for the 57/57A (Ashington) you'd probably be better off running them with some form of midi bus even known they're not really needed capacity wise. It would be easier to have one type of bus for the 35 / 57 / 57A / X14 rather than having different fleets running different routes. The 1 / 2 / 58 at Blyth could be same as no doubt over time they won't need 10.8m Pulsar's either unless you can somehow get Jesmond running the 58.

The Durham services and the 52/53/54/55 could all be ran by them aswell something like a 9.7m/10.4m vehicle with 29/33 forward seats would be more than enough. Least it brings a bit of fleet continuity so things can be swapped around easier rather that what we have at Ashington currently with the Solo's running on the X21 etc while 7510 has worked itself on the 57 boards again and everything being allover the place at both Jesmond and Durham.
Storx
05 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm #123

(05 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)peter I think part of the problem with Arriva's fleet is that they have too many Solo's for their present operation. And so you end up with the situation at Jesmond where there's a mixture of everything on all services because they need to try and allocate the Solo's to the boards with the fewest passengers. We've seen Blyth essentially remove it's midi-bus fleet by nabbing Pulsars which have been made spare elsewhere due to Covid reductions, but the likes of Durham and Newcastle have too many smaller vehicles which are then having to be used on services which need higher capacity.

Hopefully when it gets to the point in a few years time where a vast wave of the fleet is due for replacement, that a smaller amount of midibuses are purchased to fulfil the needs primarily at Darlington and then the odd few services elsewhere (95 at Whitby, 46/51/55/553 at Jesmond, 57/57A at Ashington and 58 at Blyth). And then the rest of the Solo's replaced by larger vehicles so that they don't have to be allocated to frontline services such as the 52/53/54 for example and can be taken out of Durham's fleet allowing the 56/57/57A/58 and 49/49A to be operated with more appropriately sized vehicles.

Yeah your right tbh. Mind for the 57/57A (Ashington) you'd probably be better off running them with some form of midi bus even known they're not really needed capacity wise. It would be easier to have one type of bus for the 35 / 57 / 57A / X14 rather than having different fleets running different routes. The 1 / 2 / 58 at Blyth could be same as no doubt over time they won't need 10.8m Pulsar's either unless you can somehow get Jesmond running the 58.

The Durham services and the 52/53/54/55 could all be ran by them aswell something like a 9.7m/10.4m vehicle with 29/33 forward seats would be more than enough. Least it brings a bit of fleet continuity so things can be swapped around easier rather that what we have at Ashington currently with the Solo's running on the X21 etc while 7510 has worked itself on the 57 boards again and everything being allover the place at both Jesmond and Durham.

05 Oct 2021, 1:16 pm #124
(05 Oct 2021, 9:03 am)Dan Why do they need to put ALX300s through MOT? Surely it’d just be a swap of existing fleet, without impacting on MOT requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the 03 plates were all assumed to be withdrawn, but without any hope of anything new for the North East, the only option was to sort them out and get them ready for the switch.
54APhotography
05 Oct 2021, 1:16 pm #124

(05 Oct 2021, 9:03 am)Dan Why do they need to put ALX300s through MOT? Surely it’d just be a swap of existing fleet, without impacting on MOT requirements?

I think the 03 plates were all assumed to be withdrawn, but without any hope of anything new for the North East, the only option was to sort them out and get them ready for the switch.

Train8261

05 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm #125
(05 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm)ne14ne1 Do any of the smaller operators running Presidents and Tridents run services through the CAZ area, Scholars services for example?

Jh have a few but haven't seen a Metro replacement contract over in Newcastle in a few months 
L&G do but there only put onto Metro replacement if its an emergency
Train8261
05 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm #125

(05 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm)ne14ne1 Do any of the smaller operators running Presidents and Tridents run services through the CAZ area, Scholars services for example?

Jh have a few but haven't seen a Metro replacement contract over in Newcastle in a few months 
L&G do but there only put onto Metro replacement if its an emergency

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Oct 2021, 1:30 pm #126

I'd imagine the CAZ will force Nexus' hand to change tender specification to be Euro 6 on school bus services, ensuring operators have CAZ-compliant buses for Metro Replacement, rail replacement, and other special events - this can be done at relatively low expense through exhaust upgrades as we've seen on operators' commercial services.

I'd not expect Metro Replacement to be exempt from the CAZ.
Dan
05 Oct 2021, 1:30 pm #126

I'd imagine the CAZ will force Nexus' hand to change tender specification to be Euro 6 on school bus services, ensuring operators have CAZ-compliant buses for Metro Replacement, rail replacement, and other special events - this can be done at relatively low expense through exhaust upgrades as we've seen on operators' commercial services.

I'd not expect Metro Replacement to be exempt from the CAZ.

05 Oct 2021, 1:31 pm #127

There's that Weardale job that runs via Sandyford into town for one.
54APhotography
05 Oct 2021, 1:31 pm #127

There's that Weardale job that runs via Sandyford into town for one.

Train8261

05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm #128
Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagecoach would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle
Train8261
05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm #128

Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagecoach would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm #129
(05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm)Train8261 Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagsden would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle

No. Arriva can't bid for Metro Replacement, the only operators that can are Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches.

Stagecoach have never bid for a Metro Replacement contract yet (presumably isn't worth the hassle to them), so it's only really out of Go North East and JH Coaches. As I said before, I'd imagine Nexus will specify that the Miscellaneous Works contracts from September 2022 must be Euro 6. All the buses operating these services currently (Volvo B7TL, Scania OmniDekka, Dennis Trident) can be upgraded to Euro 6.
Dan
05 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm #129

(05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm)Train8261 Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagsden would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle

No. Arriva can't bid for Metro Replacement, the only operators that can are Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches.

Stagecoach have never bid for a Metro Replacement contract yet (presumably isn't worth the hassle to them), so it's only really out of Go North East and JH Coaches. As I said before, I'd imagine Nexus will specify that the Miscellaneous Works contracts from September 2022 must be Euro 6. All the buses operating these services currently (Volvo B7TL, Scania OmniDekka, Dennis Trident) can be upgraded to Euro 6.

Train8261

05 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm #130
(05 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm)Dan No. Arriva can't bid for Metro Replacement, the only operators that can are Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches.

I'm guessing Stagecoach won't is because I remember back In early 2020. Stagecoach got awarded a Metro replacement contract between Regent Centre and Heworth. Stagecoach put what of 6 buses while Stanley Travel and GNE had to give the rest out. Yet we're on hire to Stagecoach
Train8261
05 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm #130

(05 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm)Dan No. Arriva can't bid for Metro Replacement, the only operators that can are Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches.

I'm guessing Stagecoach won't is because I remember back In early 2020. Stagecoach got awarded a Metro replacement contract between Regent Centre and Heworth. Stagecoach put what of 6 buses while Stanley Travel and GNE had to give the rest out. Yet we're on hire to Stagecoach

Andreos1

05 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm #131
(05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm)Train8261 Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagsden  would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle

Getting in before anyone else does!
Are they a new company, similar to Ssriva, Lothian of Derwentside etc?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm #131

(05 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm)Train8261 Is it possible that more than likely GNE, Arriva and Stagsden  would end up being awarded metro replacement in Newcastle area then Jh and others doing Metro replacement out of Newcastle

Getting in before anyone else does!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Train8261

05 Oct 2021, 3:06 pm #132
(05 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm)Andreos1 Getting in before anyone else does!
Bloody autocorrect. It said stagecoach when typed stagecoach  Angry
Train8261
05 Oct 2021, 3:06 pm #132

Bloody autocorrect. It said stagecoach when typed stagecoach  Angry

peter

06 Oct 2021, 1:06 am #133
(05 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm)Storx Yeah your right tbh. Mind for the 57/57A (Ashington) you'd probably be better off running them with some form of midi bus even known they're not really needed capacity wise. It would be easier to have one type of bus for the 35 / 57 / 57A / X14 rather than having different fleets running different routes. The 1 / 2 / 58 at Blyth could be same as no doubt over time they won't need 10.8m Pulsar's either unless you can somehow get Jesmond running the 58.

Yeah I agree, Arriva's system of regulation and lack of fixed allocation makes them the ideal candidates for fleet standardisation and yet they don't seem to really employ it. I do hope they might take the opportunity during the next fleet renewal. 

-Ashington and Blyth are fairly simple really, I think replacing the remaining single-decks with double-decks on the 'former' MAX services would help, with just the 1/2, 57/57A, and 58 as non-double deck. No route specific branding (except Sapphire X21/X22) and all the same vehicles would make regulation and allocation a much more effective process. 
-Jesmond is slightly more complex but I think more standardised single and double deck fleets e.g. Streetlites and E400's for generic allocation across the 43/44/45, 52/53/54, 306 and 685 would help, with Solo's used on everything else.
-Darlington do okay with Solo's on the town services and then larger vehicles on the long distance services - obviously the Omnicities are crying out to be replaced.
-Redcar I think could do with some more Streetlites so they can make the full allocation on the X3/X3A/X4 and remove their now dwindling fleet of Pulsars - definitely think a swap with those currently at Belmont would make sense, and then Temsa's cover everything else.
-Stockton does best with a fleet almost entirely made up of Pulsars - I reckon the Centros could be used elsewhere - Ashington or Blyth maybe.
-Durham I think is in the worst position with a very mismatched fleet. A standardised set of single and double decks for use on the 6/7/22/23/24/43/X46/48/64/X12 and then a minibus fleet for the 49/49A/56/57/57A/61/62 would be ideal but I don't know how achievable.
peter
06 Oct 2021, 1:06 am #133

(05 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm)Storx Yeah your right tbh. Mind for the 57/57A (Ashington) you'd probably be better off running them with some form of midi bus even known they're not really needed capacity wise. It would be easier to have one type of bus for the 35 / 57 / 57A / X14 rather than having different fleets running different routes. The 1 / 2 / 58 at Blyth could be same as no doubt over time they won't need 10.8m Pulsar's either unless you can somehow get Jesmond running the 58.

Yeah I agree, Arriva's system of regulation and lack of fixed allocation makes them the ideal candidates for fleet standardisation and yet they don't seem to really employ it. I do hope they might take the opportunity during the next fleet renewal. 

-Ashington and Blyth are fairly simple really, I think replacing the remaining single-decks with double-decks on the 'former' MAX services would help, with just the 1/2, 57/57A, and 58 as non-double deck. No route specific branding (except Sapphire X21/X22) and all the same vehicles would make regulation and allocation a much more effective process. 
-Jesmond is slightly more complex but I think more standardised single and double deck fleets e.g. Streetlites and E400's for generic allocation across the 43/44/45, 52/53/54, 306 and 685 would help, with Solo's used on everything else.
-Darlington do okay with Solo's on the town services and then larger vehicles on the long distance services - obviously the Omnicities are crying out to be replaced.
-Redcar I think could do with some more Streetlites so they can make the full allocation on the X3/X3A/X4 and remove their now dwindling fleet of Pulsars - definitely think a swap with those currently at Belmont would make sense, and then Temsa's cover everything else.
-Stockton does best with a fleet almost entirely made up of Pulsars - I reckon the Centros could be used elsewhere - Ashington or Blyth maybe.
-Durham I think is in the worst position with a very mismatched fleet. A standardised set of single and double decks for use on the 6/7/22/23/24/43/X46/48/64/X12 and then a minibus fleet for the 49/49A/56/57/57A/61/62 would be ideal but I don't know how achievable.

idiot

06 Oct 2021, 7:28 am #134
Why can't Arriva bid for metro replacement? Have I missed something?!
idiot
06 Oct 2021, 7:28 am #134

Why can't Arriva bid for metro replacement? Have I missed something?!

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Oct 2021, 7:29 am #135
(06 Oct 2021, 7:28 am)idiot Why can't Arriva bid for metro replacement? Have I missed something?!

Operators need to ‘sign up’ at the start of the term for planned Metro Replacement - only Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches signed up.

Dan
06 Oct 2021, 7:29 am #135

(06 Oct 2021, 7:28 am)idiot Why can't Arriva bid for metro replacement? Have I missed something?!

Operators need to ‘sign up’ at the start of the term for planned Metro Replacement - only Go North East, Stagecoach and JH Coaches signed up.

MurdnunoC

06 Oct 2021, 8:38 am #136

Funny you mention this.

On my walk to work this morning, I noticed a TfL bus operating the 794. With all these new operators, such as Lothian of Derwentside and Transdev of Sacriston, operating in the area, I guess Transport for Derwentside (TfD) has had to step in to sort everything out before it becomes a complete mess.
MurdnunoC
06 Oct 2021, 8:38 am #136

Funny you mention this.

On my walk to work this morning, I noticed a TfL bus operating the 794. With all these new operators, such as Lothian of Derwentside and Transdev of Sacriston, operating in the area, I guess Transport for Derwentside (TfD) has had to step in to sort everything out before it becomes a complete mess.

Train8261

06 Oct 2021, 9:08 am #137
(06 Oct 2021, 8:38 am)MurdnunoC Funny you mention this.

That might be one of Weardale Moter Service new bus
Train8261
06 Oct 2021, 9:08 am #137

(06 Oct 2021, 8:38 am)MurdnunoC Funny you mention this.

That might be one of Weardale Moter Service new bus

RMF1254

06 Oct 2021, 9:29 am #138
(06 Oct 2021, 9:08 am)Train8261 That might be one of Weardale Moter Service new bus
Correct, I passed an ex London Scania Omnicity DD in Sandyford on Monday. It was all over red with a Weardale fleet name. I also saw it (or a similar one) on a scholars working in Wallsend yesterday. I think the two services could be operated by the same bus.
RMF1254
06 Oct 2021, 9:29 am #138

(06 Oct 2021, 9:08 am)Train8261 That might be one of Weardale Moter Service new bus
Correct, I passed an ex London Scania Omnicity DD in Sandyford on Monday. It was all over red with a Weardale fleet name. I also saw it (or a similar one) on a scholars working in Wallsend yesterday. I think the two services could be operated by the same bus.

06 Oct 2021, 10:04 am #139
(06 Oct 2021, 9:29 am)RMF1254 Correct, I passed an ex London Scania Omnicity DD in Sandyford on Monday. It was all over red with a Weardale fleet name. I also saw it (or a similar one) on a scholars working in Wallsend yesterday. I think the two services could be operated by the same bus.
It would make sense considering the mileage.
NewcastleOne
06 Oct 2021, 10:04 am #139

(06 Oct 2021, 9:29 am)RMF1254 Correct, I passed an ex London Scania Omnicity DD in Sandyford on Monday. It was all over red with a Weardale fleet name. I also saw it (or a similar one) on a scholars working in Wallsend yesterday. I think the two services could be operated by the same bus.
It would make sense considering the mileage.

Train8261

06 Oct 2021, 11:50 am #140
Yea does a 794 to the D,S,S then 681 Scholars then in the afternoon does 681 Scholars then 794 D,S,S
Train8261
06 Oct 2021, 11:50 am #140

Yea does a 794 to the D,S,S then 681 Scholars then in the afternoon does 681 Scholars then 794 D,S,S

Pages (12) Previous 16 7 812 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average