Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Breakdowns & reliability

Breakdowns & reliability

Breakdowns & reliability

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
04 Mar 2020, 10:51 am #1
Just seen X9/X10 streetdeck being towed on A1231. It was parked near Vantec. Couldn't get the number though. I presume it was going to Newcastle.
Edited 04 Mar 2020, 10:52 am by ASX_Terranova.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
04 Mar 2020, 10:51 am #1

Just seen X9/X10 streetdeck being towed on A1231. It was parked near Vantec. Couldn't get the number though. I presume it was going to Newcastle.

04 Mar 2020, 11:23 am #2
Not a good day for VOR, 6902 broken down at Park Lane on 38.

ASX_Terranova
04 Mar 2020, 11:23 am #2

Not a good day for VOR, 6902 broken down at Park Lane on 38.

04 Mar 2020, 11:31 am #3
(04 Mar 2020, 10:51 am)ASX_Terranova Just seen X9/X10 streetdeck being towed on A1231. It was parked near Vantec. Couldn't get the number though. I presume it was going to Newcastle.

Surely you mean a Gemini 3 rather than a StreetDeck Wink 
Going from Bus Times it's 6313
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 11:31 am #3

(04 Mar 2020, 10:51 am)ASX_Terranova Just seen X9/X10 streetdeck being towed on A1231. It was parked near Vantec. Couldn't get the number though. I presume it was going to Newcastle.

Surely you mean a Gemini 3 rather than a StreetDeck Wink 

04 Mar 2020, 11:48 am #4
(04 Mar 2020, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Surely you mean a Gemini 3 rather than a StreetDeck Wink 
Yes, My Bad.

ASX_Terranova
04 Mar 2020, 11:48 am #4

(04 Mar 2020, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Surely you mean a Gemini 3 rather than a StreetDeck Wink 
Yes, My Bad.

mb134

04 Mar 2020, 12:10 pm #5

Looks to have been replaced by 6048. 

6335 also on the X9/X10 today, with 6309 off.
mb134
04 Mar 2020, 12:10 pm #5

Looks to have been replaced by 6048. 

6335 also on the X9/X10 today, with 6309 off.

04 Mar 2020, 12:19 pm #6
Reliability of the whole fleet seems to be going down recently, wonder if it's got anything to do with vehicles being overworked with the delay of the StreetDecks arriving
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 12:19 pm #6

Reliability of the whole fleet seems to be going down recently, wonder if it's got anything to do with vehicles being overworked with the delay of the StreetDecks arriving

JP6004

04 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm #7
(04 Mar 2020, 12:19 pm)streetdeckfan Reliability of the whole fleet seems to be going down recently, wonder if it's got anything to do with vehicles being overworked with the delay of the StreetDecks arriving

Not much longer now Smile
JP6004
04 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm #7

(04 Mar 2020, 12:19 pm)streetdeckfan Reliability of the whole fleet seems to be going down recently, wonder if it's got anything to do with vehicles being overworked with the delay of the StreetDecks arriving

Not much longer now Smile

04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm #8
(04 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm)JP6004 Not much longer now Smile

We've been saying that since bloody November!
Hopefully it's true this time

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the improved suspension, it's one of my few complaints about the StreetDeck
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm #8

(04 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm)JP6004 Not much longer now Smile

We've been saying that since bloody November!
Hopefully it's true this time

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the improved suspension, it's one of my few complaints about the StreetDeck

mb134

04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm #9

Remember though that we've never had this level of insight before - bustimes allows us to see vehicle data that previously would have required someone to sit and jot down every single bus they saw out on a given day. I don't keep up to date with GNE operations too much, but from my understanding vehicles have been retained until the arrival of the StreetDecks, so vehicles shouldn't be working anymore than they were previously.

All operators will go through spells of having a slightly higher VOR percentage, they can't predict when a gearbox is going to fail for example. Couple that with regular servicing of vehicles and a few minor defects that drivers will refuse to take a bus with, then it appears that reliability is the issue. 

Regarding the X9/X10 specifically, while no vehicle type that's been used on there has lasted particularly long before developing issues, I think they made a mistake with the B5TLs. E400MMCs, whether the Cummins or Scania powered option, would have been the more sensible choice imo.
mb134
04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm #9

Remember though that we've never had this level of insight before - bustimes allows us to see vehicle data that previously would have required someone to sit and jot down every single bus they saw out on a given day. I don't keep up to date with GNE operations too much, but from my understanding vehicles have been retained until the arrival of the StreetDecks, so vehicles shouldn't be working anymore than they were previously.

All operators will go through spells of having a slightly higher VOR percentage, they can't predict when a gearbox is going to fail for example. Couple that with regular servicing of vehicles and a few minor defects that drivers will refuse to take a bus with, then it appears that reliability is the issue. 

Regarding the X9/X10 specifically, while no vehicle type that's been used on there has lasted particularly long before developing issues, I think they made a mistake with the B5TLs. E400MMCs, whether the Cummins or Scania powered option, would have been the more sensible choice imo.

04 Mar 2020, 1:11 pm #10
(04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm)mb134 Remember though that we've never had this level of insight before - bustimes allows us to see vehicle data that previously would have required someone to sit and jot down every single bus they saw out on a given day. I don't keep up to date with GNE operations too much, but from my understanding vehicles have been retained until the arrival of the StreetDecks, so vehicles shouldn't be working anymore than they were previously.

I wouldn't necessarily say the B5s on the X9/X10 were a mistake, they're not doing that bad to be honest, for me the issue with them is more that they're absolutely awful to ride (engine noise, ride etc.)
I think the E400MMCs would be in a similar boat, going off my experience with the ones on the X30. Obviously without trying the Scania on the route (which they're trying to do) it's impossible to say whether it would be a better choice.

The issue with the route is that it's mostly motorway so needs a vehicle that can deal with that, but it also has urban sections which vehicles that would be preferred for motorway are traditionally pretty awful at!
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 1:11 pm #10

(04 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm)mb134 Remember though that we've never had this level of insight before - bustimes allows us to see vehicle data that previously would have required someone to sit and jot down every single bus they saw out on a given day. I don't keep up to date with GNE operations too much, but from my understanding vehicles have been retained until the arrival of the StreetDecks, so vehicles shouldn't be working anymore than they were previously.

I wouldn't necessarily say the B5s on the X9/X10 were a mistake, they're not doing that bad to be honest, for me the issue with them is more that they're absolutely awful to ride (engine noise, ride etc.)
I think the E400MMCs would be in a similar boat, going off my experience with the ones on the X30. Obviously without trying the Scania on the route (which they're trying to do) it's impossible to say whether it would be a better choice.

The issue with the route is that it's mostly motorway so needs a vehicle that can deal with that, but it also has urban sections which vehicles that would be preferred for motorway are traditionally pretty awful at!

JP6004

04 Mar 2020, 1:17 pm #11
(04 Mar 2020, 1:11 pm)streetdeckfan I wouldn't necessarily say the B5s on the X9/X10 were a mistake, they're not doing that bad to be honest, for me the issue with them is more that they're absolutely awful to ride (engine noise, ride etc.)

No doubt the 6 cylinder streetdeck will be spend a bit of time on the X9/X10 see how it performs. Do think they will end up with new DD but with perhaps greater calibration for motorway driving
JP6004
04 Mar 2020, 1:17 pm #11

(04 Mar 2020, 1:11 pm)streetdeckfan I wouldn't necessarily say the B5s on the X9/X10 were a mistake, they're not doing that bad to be honest, for me the issue with them is more that they're absolutely awful to ride (engine noise, ride etc.)

No doubt the 6 cylinder streetdeck will be spend a bit of time on the X9/X10 see how it performs. Do think they will end up with new DD but with perhaps greater calibration for motorway driving

04 Mar 2020, 1:32 pm #12
(04 Mar 2020, 1:17 pm)JP6004 No doubt the 6 cylinder streetdeck will be spend a bit of time on the X9/X10 see how it performs. Do think they will end up with new DD but with perhaps greater calibration for motorway driving

I forgot about the 6 cylinder! IIRC, GNE are still scheduled to receive the first in the UK
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 1:32 pm #12

(04 Mar 2020, 1:17 pm)JP6004 No doubt the 6 cylinder streetdeck will be spend a bit of time on the X9/X10 see how it performs. Do think they will end up with new DD but with perhaps greater calibration for motorway driving

I forgot about the 6 cylinder! IIRC, GNE are still scheduled to receive the first in the UK

JP6004

04 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm #13
(04 Mar 2020, 1:32 pm)streetdeckfan I forgot about the 6 cylinder! IIRC, GNE are still scheduled to receive the first in the UK

I believe it be the first, but it deffo coming
JP6004
04 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm #13

(04 Mar 2020, 1:32 pm)streetdeckfan I forgot about the 6 cylinder! IIRC, GNE are still scheduled to receive the first in the UK

I believe it be the first, but it deffo coming

mb134

04 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm #14

Obviously there are other factors at play, but I'd suggest the fact that Transdev Blazefield have gone for E400MMCs for The Witch Way and CityZap over the B5TL is a good indication that operators really don't like the B5TL. 

That 6.7L Cummins engine is pretty reliable, and represents a 34% increase in engine size over the B5 - thus less stress on the engine at those higher speeds. If I remember correctly Transdev made a point about the reliability of the E400 running gear in their announcement of the order. 

I don't see too much of an issue, bar perhaps Eldon Square, for coaching stock on the X9/10 - remember that Megabus/National Express serve city centres and similar urban areas frequently with triaxle coaches without issue. The problem is more with accessibility, however the latest stuff from Plaxton addresses that very well. Stagecoach operate coach type stock on any number of routes within Scotland without issue.
mb134
04 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm #14

Obviously there are other factors at play, but I'd suggest the fact that Transdev Blazefield have gone for E400MMCs for The Witch Way and CityZap over the B5TL is a good indication that operators really don't like the B5TL. 

That 6.7L Cummins engine is pretty reliable, and represents a 34% increase in engine size over the B5 - thus less stress on the engine at those higher speeds. If I remember correctly Transdev made a point about the reliability of the E400 running gear in their announcement of the order. 

I don't see too much of an issue, bar perhaps Eldon Square, for coaching stock on the X9/10 - remember that Megabus/National Express serve city centres and similar urban areas frequently with triaxle coaches without issue. The problem is more with accessibility, however the latest stuff from Plaxton addresses that very well. Stagecoach operate coach type stock on any number of routes within Scotland without issue.

04 Mar 2020, 1:46 pm #15
(04 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm)JP6004 I believe it be the first, but it deffo coming

I'd guess it'd still be fitted with the same gearbox as the 4 cylinders as well which would be a shame as they really do feel like they could do with an extra gear or two on the motorway!
streetdeckfan
04 Mar 2020, 1:46 pm #15

(04 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm)JP6004 I believe it be the first, but it deffo coming

I'd guess it'd still be fitted with the same gearbox as the 4 cylinders as well which would be a shame as they really do feel like they could do with an extra gear or two on the motorway!

L469 YVK

04 Mar 2020, 5:06 pm #16
(04 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm)mb134 Obviously there are other factors at play, but I'd suggest the fact that Transdev Blazefield have gone for E400MMCs for The Witch Way and CityZap over the B5TL is a good indication that operators really don't like the B5TL. 

Isn't Cityzap getting 6 Cylinder StreetDecks?

TBH, I'd say the most sensible option for the X9/X10 would be coaches if GNE can get a good service life out of then and or resale value.

The next best option would be 8x Scania E400MMC (incl 1x spare). I'd even go as far to spec any new vehicles with full coach seating.

Will 6334/35 end up at Chester Le Street / Washington when no longer needed as spares for the X9 / X10?
L469 YVK
04 Mar 2020, 5:06 pm #16

(04 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm)mb134 Obviously there are other factors at play, but I'd suggest the fact that Transdev Blazefield have gone for E400MMCs for The Witch Way and CityZap over the B5TL is a good indication that operators really don't like the B5TL. 

Isn't Cityzap getting 6 Cylinder StreetDecks?

TBH, I'd say the most sensible option for the X9/X10 would be coaches if GNE can get a good service life out of then and or resale value.

The next best option would be 8x Scania E400MMC (incl 1x spare). I'd even go as far to spec any new vehicles with full coach seating.

Will 6334/35 end up at Chester Le Street / Washington when no longer needed as spares for the X9 / X10?

Malarkey

04 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm #17
(04 Mar 2020, 5:06 pm)L469 YVK Isn't Cityzap getting 6 Cylinder StreetDecks?

Transdev are getting E400MMC's for Cityzap and Witchway.
Malarkey
04 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm #17

Transdev are getting E400MMC's for Cityzap and Witchway.

S813 FVK

04 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm #18

No, or at least not anymore.

See below tweet:
https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...61219?s=21
S813 FVK
04 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm #18

No, or at least not anymore.

See below tweet:
https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/...61219?s=21

Chris 1

05 Mar 2020, 12:54 pm #19

Interestingly, Go Ahead London are trying to do exactly that.  It's cheaper, easier and less VOR time to replace major components before they fail, rather than when they fail. They're analysing a range of diagnostics (e.g engine oil) to predict when things will fail.  Still early days, but cutting edge none the less.
Chris 1
05 Mar 2020, 12:54 pm #19

Interestingly, Go Ahead London are trying to do exactly that.  It's cheaper, easier and less VOR time to replace major components before they fail, rather than when they fail. They're analysing a range of diagnostics (e.g engine oil) to predict when things will fail.  Still early days, but cutting edge none the less.

Andreos1

21 May 2020, 5:13 pm #20
5304 looked poorly this afternoon. Saw it earlier,getting a lift on the A19.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 May 2020, 5:13 pm #20

5304 looked poorly this afternoon. Saw it earlier,getting a lift on the A19.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average