Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Breakdowns & reliability

Breakdowns & reliability

Breakdowns & reliability

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
L469 YVK

11 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm #41
Seen that the last X47 broke down last night. Now I nornally give GNE plenty of credit but they should have a last bus guarantee that if a last bus can't operate and no suitable alternative within 1 mile of your usual stop, then a taxi should be provided either wholly or from the nearest 'safe point' (well lit, sheltered, CCTV) on the alternative route.

For example, a 'safe point' on the X45 would be the MetroCentre.

Obviously partnerships would need to be setup includong a list of 'approved' private hire firms depending on the area.
L469 YVK
11 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm #41

Seen that the last X47 broke down last night. Now I nornally give GNE plenty of credit but they should have a last bus guarantee that if a last bus can't operate and no suitable alternative within 1 mile of your usual stop, then a taxi should be provided either wholly or from the nearest 'safe point' (well lit, sheltered, CCTV) on the alternative route.

Obviously partnerships would need to be setup includong a list of 'approved' private hire firms depending on the area.

11 Oct 2020, 5:32 pm #42
(11 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm)L469 YVK Seen that the last X47 broke down last night. Now I nornally give GNE plenty of credit but they should have a last bus guarantee that if a last bus can't operate and no suitable alternative within 1 mile of your usual stop, then a taxi should be provided either wholly or from the nearest 'safe point' (well lit, sheltered, CCTV) on the alternative route.

I'm sure they already have partnerships with private hire firms to carry wheelchair users when there isn't a free wheelchair bay on infrequent services
streetdeckfan
11 Oct 2020, 5:32 pm #42

(11 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm)L469 YVK Seen that the last X47 broke down last night. Now I nornally give GNE plenty of credit but they should have a last bus guarantee that if a last bus can't operate and no suitable alternative within 1 mile of your usual stop, then a taxi should be provided either wholly or from the nearest 'safe point' (well lit, sheltered, CCTV) on the alternative route.

I'm sure they already have partnerships with private hire firms to carry wheelchair users when there isn't a free wheelchair bay on infrequent services

Ambassador

11 Oct 2020, 9:33 pm #43

It should absolutely be a thing. If corporations  like the Go Ahead Group or first or Stagecoach (let’s be honest GNE aren’t just lovely Dan and that nice man Martjn fella they are a huge business) are taking government (our) money like train operators then they should provide this service as we expect from our TOCS.

of course they won’t, until someone launches a legal challenge (a la wheelchairs) and forces them to act appropriately
 (they may do ad hoc stuff)

I strongly feel it should be part of any future support or bailout from the treasury

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
11 Oct 2020, 9:33 pm #43

It should absolutely be a thing. If corporations  like the Go Ahead Group or first or Stagecoach (let’s be honest GNE aren’t just lovely Dan and that nice man Martjn fella they are a huge business) are taking government (our) money like train operators then they should provide this service as we expect from our TOCS.

of course they won’t, until someone launches a legal challenge (a la wheelchairs) and forces them to act appropriately
 (they may do ad hoc stuff)

I strongly feel it should be part of any future support or bailout from the treasury

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

11 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm #44

Agree. Said it many times before on here and elsewhere. 
The shrugging of the shoulders in these situations just ain't good enough. 
I'm not sure of any other industry which shows the same contempt towards its customers, in similar situations, as bus operators do.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm #44

Agree. Said it many times before on here and elsewhere. 
I'm not sure of any other industry which shows the same contempt towards its customers, in similar situations, as bus operators do.

busmanT

11 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm #45

Social media helpfully told passengers "track the next bus in real-time on the Go North East app"!
busmanT
11 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm #45

Social media helpfully told passengers "track the next bus in real-time on the Go North East app"!

L469 YVK

12 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm #46
(11 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm)busmanT Social media helpfully told passengers "track the next bus in real-time on the Go North East app"!
No good for someone living in High Spen, Chopwell or Blackhall Mill though.
L469 YVK
12 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm #46

(11 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm)busmanT Social media helpfully told passengers "track the next bus in real-time on the Go North East app"!
No good for someone living in High Spen, Chopwell or Blackhall Mill though.

busmanT

13 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm #47
(12 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm)L469 YVK No good for someone living in High Spen, Chopwell or Blackhall Mill though.
Precisely!!

I see the M6/M7/M8 have started appearing a few times recently
busmanT
13 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm #47

(12 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm)L469 YVK No good for someone living in High Spen, Chopwell or Blackhall Mill though.
Precisely!!

I see the M6/M7/M8 have started appearing a few times recently

Adrian

13 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm #48
(11 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm)Andreos1 Agree. Said it many times before on here and elsewhere. 

I asked the question with GNE last time I spotted one of these. The response I received (in Sept 2019) was "In this event a spare driver with a bus will be sent out to run the service. It will be posted on Social media to inform customers."

A change in policy perhaps?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm #48

(11 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm)Andreos1 Agree. Said it many times before on here and elsewhere. 

I asked the question with GNE last time I spotted one of these. The response I received (in Sept 2019) was "In this event a spare driver with a bus will be sent out to run the service. It will be posted on Social media to inform customers."

mb134

13 Oct 2020, 8:44 pm #49
(13 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm)Adrian I asked the question with GNE last time I spotted one of these. The response I received (in Sept 2019) was "In this event a spare driver with a bus will be sent out to run the service. It will be posted on Social media to inform customers."

I'd assume if it was any earlier in the day then they'd still do that, but I imagine finding a spare driver at that time of the night would be virtually impossible.

However I'm somewhat surprised that, as it appeared to break in Newcastle, Riverside didn't send a bus to cover the run - surely the driver also needed to get back to Consett?
mb134
13 Oct 2020, 8:44 pm #49

(13 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm)Adrian I asked the question with GNE last time I spotted one of these. The response I received (in Sept 2019) was "In this event a spare driver with a bus will be sent out to run the service. It will be posted on Social media to inform customers."

I'd assume if it was any earlier in the day then they'd still do that, but I imagine finding a spare driver at that time of the night would be virtually impossible.

However I'm somewhat surprised that, as it appeared to break in Newcastle, Riverside didn't send a bus to cover the run - surely the driver also needed to get back to Consett?

Adrian

13 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm #50
(13 Oct 2020, 8:44 pm)mb134 I'd assume if it was any earlier in the day then they'd still do that, but I imagine finding a spare driver at that time of the night would be virtually impossible.

I'd specifically asked the question in respect to the last run of any given service on any given day, as I wasn't actually sure what was supposed to happen. At the time, If I recall correctly, there was a number of instances of the social media going out but no comms as to what to do.

Adrian
13 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm #50

(13 Oct 2020, 8:44 pm)mb134 I'd assume if it was any earlier in the day then they'd still do that, but I imagine finding a spare driver at that time of the night would be virtually impossible.

I'd specifically asked the question in respect to the last run of any given service on any given day, as I wasn't actually sure what was supposed to happen. At the time, If I recall correctly, there was a number of instances of the social media going out but no comms as to what to do.

Storx

13 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm #51

Surely you could just get a fitter to bring another bus along, the driver of the original bus drives back to Consett on the bus the fitter brought then the fitter fixes the broken bus or awaits recovery and travels back via which ever method works. Either way someone has to move to bus and it won't be the driver.

I know that's what Arriva Ashington do on the 57 occasionally usually on Sundays since it's so far from the depot so you can't drop another bus in and the driver is stuck.
Storx
13 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm #51

Surely you could just get a fitter to bring another bus along, the driver of the original bus drives back to Consett on the bus the fitter brought then the fitter fixes the broken bus or awaits recovery and travels back via which ever method works. Either way someone has to move to bus and it won't be the driver.

I know that's what Arriva Ashington do on the 57 occasionally usually on Sundays since it's so far from the depot so you can't drop another bus in and the driver is stuck.

mb134

13 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm #52
(13 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm)Adrian I'd specifically asked the question in respect to the last run of any given service on any given day, as I wasn't actually sure what was supposed to happen. At the time, If I recall correctly, there was a number of instances of the social media going out but no comms as to what to do.

Wonder if it's one of those cases of something being promised that they can't always actually deliver on?
(13 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm)Storx Surely you could just get a fitter to bring another bus along, the driver of the original bus drives back to Consett on the bus the fitter brought then the fitter fixes the broken bus or awaits recovery and travels back via which ever method works. Either way someone has to move to bus and it won't be the driver.

Definitely, was just thinking that at that time it may be easier to use Riverside (if we take into account the delay of getting a bus from Consett) and then swap the buses over the next day. Either way this is what I didn't understand about it - the bus and driver both needed to get back to Consett.
mb134
13 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm #52

(13 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm)Adrian I'd specifically asked the question in respect to the last run of any given service on any given day, as I wasn't actually sure what was supposed to happen. At the time, If I recall correctly, there was a number of instances of the social media going out but no comms as to what to do.

Wonder if it's one of those cases of something being promised that they can't always actually deliver on?
(13 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm)Storx Surely you could just get a fitter to bring another bus along, the driver of the original bus drives back to Consett on the bus the fitter brought then the fitter fixes the broken bus or awaits recovery and travels back via which ever method works. Either way someone has to move to bus and it won't be the driver.

Definitely, was just thinking that at that time it may be easier to use Riverside (if we take into account the delay of getting a bus from Consett) and then swap the buses over the next day. Either way this is what I didn't understand about it - the bus and driver both needed to get back to Consett.

13 Oct 2020, 9:38 pm #53
(13 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm)mb134 Definitely, was just thinking that at that time it may be easier to use Riverside (if we take into account the delay of getting a bus from Consett) and then swap the buses over the next day. Either way this is what I didn't understand about it - the bus and driver both needed to get back to Consett.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent someone out to pick the driver up and left the passengers stranded
streetdeckfan
13 Oct 2020, 9:38 pm #53

(13 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm)mb134 Definitely, was just thinking that at that time it may be easier to use Riverside (if we take into account the delay of getting a bus from Consett) and then swap the buses over the next day. Either way this is what I didn't understand about it - the bus and driver both needed to get back to Consett.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent someone out to pick the driver up and left the passengers stranded

Andreos1

14 Oct 2020, 10:20 am #54

Id not heard that before and certainly haven't seen anything published or communicated to passengers along those lines. 
Seeing a message like that, I'd certainly look for alternatives - rather than hang on for a replacement bus.
Quite what a vulnerable person would do in that position, is anyones guess.
Their needs could be one of many, such as cash, family, lack of alternative transport, medical, psychological etc and to not know a replacement is coming must be horrendous. Particularly on a cold, dark, wet night.

Andreos1
14 Oct 2020, 10:20 am #54

Id not heard that before and certainly haven't seen anything published or communicated to passengers along those lines. 
Seeing a message like that, I'd certainly look for alternatives - rather than hang on for a replacement bus.
Quite what a vulnerable person would do in that position, is anyones guess.
Their needs could be one of many, such as cash, family, lack of alternative transport, medical, psychological etc and to not know a replacement is coming must be horrendous. Particularly on a cold, dark, wet night.

L469 YVK

15 Oct 2020, 6:13 pm #55

I think it might just be perhaps the lack of spare drivers at the moment given the situation.

But I do think leaving passengers stranded if the last bus of the night failed to run is a no no.
L469 YVK
15 Oct 2020, 6:13 pm #55

I think it might just be perhaps the lack of spare drivers at the moment given the situation.

But I do think leaving passengers stranded if the last bus of the night failed to run is a no no.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average