North East Buses The Site News & Site Updates SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

07 May 2020, 7:19 am #41
(06 May 2020, 7:13 pm)Malarkey I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

Hopefully with this refresh this will bring back old forum members who have came and gone over the years along with welcoming new members from all across the country over the months ahead so that the sub forums for other local areas become more active with updates for us up here in the North East to keep up to date. Maybe this could be a focal point for a future expansion of the forum in the future.

The only thing missing for me from the new layout is the Latest Threads for GNE/SNE/ANE, I think these should be kept given we still have Latest Threads for our local independent operators along with operations for elsewhere in the country in personal opinion, I've always liked viewing those myself personally in order to keep up to date with things even if the vast majority of posts made on those threads weren't specifically related to that specific area of the forum as often posts have had to be removed or moved elsewhere for going off topic.

I've been working my way through my old GNE photos over the past few days dating back to 2015, hopefully will start getting some of these uploaded in the coming days and weeks ahead so these can be used within Fleet News/Bygone Era if needed as I have uploaded a shed load of Arriva/Stagecoach ones prior to these, I also have a shed load of Independent Operators photos to go through for the NE aswell.

Dan feel free to use any of photos as part of these updates

(06 May 2020, 9:11 pm)Malarkey I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.

(06 May 2020, 9:25 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose there's nowt stopping anyone from just making the Latest News thread if there is actually any news!

Glad you like the new look forum, Malarkey! For the photos to work properly for the Bygone Era, you'll need to datestamp the photo on Flickr to be relevant to the time period it was originally taken. Appreciate this can be difficult for purchased/scanned photos though.

With reference to the discussion on latest news: are either of you able to define what latest news actually is, though? What you think is latest news, others might not. That's the beauty of the split discussion topics: it steers conversation so that it's related to the topic. If anything I dare say this new format allows the forum to be more conversational, whereas previously there was a bit of conflict when it steered off-topic, or people deviated away from 'latest news'. There have been 365 replies to the [url=https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2428]Go North East Coronavirus service levels[/url] discussion thread; at times the conversation has steered off-topic which could have been an issue in the latest threads, but isn't as much of an issue in this discussion thread, but this contains all information about timetables, buses transferring to other depots, buses being parked up, etc.

The reason why the operator-specific threads have been retained for other smaller operators is because there is far less discussion about these operators. Having hundreds of sub-forums for each operator for then very little discussion to take place in individual threads wouldn't make any sense.

If we think fleet re-allocations is what we would define as latest news, why have those movements taken place? Is it as a result of service changes? In which case there will already be a thread for that and these fleet re-allocations would be posted in that thread.

It's a new way of using the forum and it will take some getting used to. Not too keen on introducing another 'latest' thread just yet as I think by default most people will end up going back to using that as it's what they're used to.

(06 May 2020, 10:16 pm)Michael I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

This only happened about 5 times since the update, could be a problem on my end though.

Like streetdeckfan, I've had a tab open with the site active pretty much constantly since Saturday gone and I've not had any issues. I was having some issues with my internet connection last week though, and when I rang up my ISP, they (predictably) blamed the increase in traffic with more people working from home etc.
Dan
07 May 2020, 7:19 am #41

(06 May 2020, 7:13 pm)Malarkey I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

Hopefully with this refresh this will bring back old forum members who have came and gone over the years along with welcoming new members from all across the country over the months ahead so that the sub forums for other local areas become more active with updates for us up here in the North East to keep up to date. Maybe this could be a focal point for a future expansion of the forum in the future.

The only thing missing for me from the new layout is the Latest Threads for GNE/SNE/ANE, I think these should be kept given we still have Latest Threads for our local independent operators along with operations for elsewhere in the country in personal opinion, I've always liked viewing those myself personally in order to keep up to date with things even if the vast majority of posts made on those threads weren't specifically related to that specific area of the forum as often posts have had to be removed or moved elsewhere for going off topic.

I've been working my way through my old GNE photos over the past few days dating back to 2015, hopefully will start getting some of these uploaded in the coming days and weeks ahead so these can be used within Fleet News/Bygone Era if needed as I have uploaded a shed load of Arriva/Stagecoach ones prior to these, I also have a shed load of Independent Operators photos to go through for the NE aswell.

Dan feel free to use any of photos as part of these updates

(06 May 2020, 9:11 pm)Malarkey I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.

(06 May 2020, 9:25 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose there's nowt stopping anyone from just making the Latest News thread if there is actually any news!

Glad you like the new look forum, Malarkey! For the photos to work properly for the Bygone Era, you'll need to datestamp the photo on Flickr to be relevant to the time period it was originally taken. Appreciate this can be difficult for purchased/scanned photos though.

With reference to the discussion on latest news: are either of you able to define what latest news actually is, though? What you think is latest news, others might not. That's the beauty of the split discussion topics: it steers conversation so that it's related to the topic. If anything I dare say this new format allows the forum to be more conversational, whereas previously there was a bit of conflict when it steered off-topic, or people deviated away from 'latest news'. There have been 365 replies to the [url=https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2428]Go North East Coronavirus service levels[/url] discussion thread; at times the conversation has steered off-topic which could have been an issue in the latest threads, but isn't as much of an issue in this discussion thread, but this contains all information about timetables, buses transferring to other depots, buses being parked up, etc.

The reason why the operator-specific threads have been retained for other smaller operators is because there is far less discussion about these operators. Having hundreds of sub-forums for each operator for then very little discussion to take place in individual threads wouldn't make any sense.

If we think fleet re-allocations is what we would define as latest news, why have those movements taken place? Is it as a result of service changes? In which case there will already be a thread for that and these fleet re-allocations would be posted in that thread.

It's a new way of using the forum and it will take some getting used to. Not too keen on introducing another 'latest' thread just yet as I think by default most people will end up going back to using that as it's what they're used to.

(06 May 2020, 10:16 pm)Michael I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

This only happened about 5 times since the update, could be a problem on my end though.

Like streetdeckfan, I've had a tab open with the site active pretty much constantly since Saturday gone and I've not had any issues. I was having some issues with my internet connection last week though, and when I rang up my ISP, they (predictably) blamed the increase in traffic with more people working from home etc.

Storx

07 May 2020, 9:58 am #42
I seen a few people don't like not having the latest news threads (which personally I disagree with). Just a quick suggestion which might make the forum run a bit better and it's the best of both worlds.

Instead of having a forum for GNE, Arriva, Stagecoach and Other Operators a better option could be to have general forums instead such as the following:
  • North East Buses Discussion (Anything which doesn't fit one of the below)
  • Vehicles and Infrastructure (Anything about vehicles, NSA's etc)
  • Allocations and Timetables (Anything about new timetables, and allocation of buses - rare workings etc).
  • Fantasy and Speculation (Anything about people's ideas - new Streetdecks for the X21 or whatever or rumoured discussion - I heard from my father's friend who knows a bus driver chat)
  • Local Events
  • Bygone Era
It just makes more sense as most the discussion could be multi operator anyway but they got lost in the wrong forum such as NSA's, new route ideas, coronavirus chat just for example.

You'd then also have a new Megachat thread for each of the big 3 within the North East Buses Discussion for things which don't deserve their own thread such as asking why older buses are used on the X30 etc which keeps those happy who prefer a big thread and keeps the number of threads down.
Storx
07 May 2020, 9:58 am #42

I seen a few people don't like not having the latest news threads (which personally I disagree with). Just a quick suggestion which might make the forum run a bit better and it's the best of both worlds.

Instead of having a forum for GNE, Arriva, Stagecoach and Other Operators a better option could be to have general forums instead such as the following:

• Allocations and Timetables (Anything about new timetables, and allocation of buses - rare workings etc).
  • Fantasy and Speculation (Anything about people's ideas - new Streetdecks for the X21 or whatever or rumoured discussion - I heard from my father's friend who knows a bus driver chat)
  • Local Events
  • Bygone Era
It just makes more sense as most the discussion could be multi operator anyway but they got lost in the wrong forum such as NSA's, new route ideas, coronavirus chat just for example.

You'd then also have a new Megachat thread for each of the big 3 within the North East Buses Discussion for things which don't deserve their own thread such as asking why older buses are used on the X30 etc which keeps those happy who prefer a big thread and keeps the number of threads down.

Andreos1

07 May 2020, 10:40 am #43
(07 May 2020, 9:58 am)Storx I seen a few people don't like not having the latest news threads (which personally I disagree with). Just a quick suggestion which might make the forum run a bit better and it's the best of both worlds.

• Local Events
  • Bygone Era

The sort of thread which maybe gets one answer (if we are lucky), but sits there for ever and day.
I think that's why dedicated threads are needed.

No disrespect at all the OP at all (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2433), but how often is there going to be chat about the AB4? Does it need its own thread? 

I can remember when there was all sorts of problems with people creating random threads or sometimes duplicates of something already similar. That was quickly stamped down on by mods.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 May 2020, 10:40 am #43

(07 May 2020, 9:58 am)Storx I seen a few people don't like not having the latest news threads (which personally I disagree with). Just a quick suggestion which might make the forum run a bit better and it's the best of both worlds.

• Local Events
  • Bygone Era

The sort of thread which maybe gets one answer (if we are lucky), but sits there for ever and day.
I think that's why dedicated threads are needed.

No disrespect at all the OP at all (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2433), but how often is there going to be chat about the AB4? Does it need its own thread? 

I can remember when there was all sorts of problems with people creating random threads or sometimes duplicates of something already similar. That was quickly stamped down on by mods.

idiot

07 May 2020, 6:46 pm #44
I love the layout but can we please have a view unread posts at top of forum pretty please Smile
idiot
07 May 2020, 6:46 pm #44

I love the layout but can we please have a view unread posts at top of forum pretty please Smile

Liam

08 May 2020, 8:02 am #45
(07 May 2020, 6:46 pm)idiot I love the layout but can we please have a view unread posts at top of forum pretty please Smile

On desktop, this link can be found on the side panel. On mobile, this link can be found on the main menu - hit the hamburger icon to the left of the NEB logo and you'll find it there
Liam
08 May 2020, 8:02 am #45

(07 May 2020, 6:46 pm)idiot I love the layout but can we please have a view unread posts at top of forum pretty please Smile

On desktop, this link can be found on the side panel. On mobile, this link can be found on the main menu - hit the hamburger icon to the left of the NEB logo and you'll find it there

tcts24

08 May 2020, 8:02 am #46

It's there on mine. On the left in the grey box.
Attached Files
.jpg
btop.jpg
Size 419.43 KB / Downloads 13
tcts24
08 May 2020, 8:02 am #46

It's there on mine. On the left in the grey box.

Attached Files
.jpg
btop.jpg
Size 419.43 KB / Downloads 13

Andreos1

08 May 2020, 9:03 am #47
(08 May 2020, 8:02 am)Liam On desktop, this link can be found on the side panel. On mobile, this link can be found on the main menu - hit the hamburger icon to the left of the NEB logo and you'll find it there 
That's the route I've been taking. Saves a scroll to the top of the page too. 

However when taking a screenshot for idiot, I've noticed by avitar has gone. Not sure if it's a temporary glitch or something else.
Attached Files

Andreos1
08 May 2020, 9:03 am #47

(08 May 2020, 8:02 am)Liam On desktop, this link can be found on the side panel. On mobile, this link can be found on the main menu - hit the hamburger icon to the left of the NEB logo and you'll find it there 
That's the route I've been taking. Saves a scroll to the top of the page too. 

However when taking a screenshot for idiot, I've noticed by avitar has gone. Not sure if it's a temporary glitch or something else.

Attached Files

idiot

08 May 2020, 9:54 am #48
Thanks folks!
idiot
08 May 2020, 9:54 am #48

Thanks folks!

cbma06

08 May 2020, 10:00 am #49
What’s all these pointless threads that are opening up, having a fleet number and incident thread just started up, should this be put into the incidents thread, this is going to open up a can of worms, is a new thread going to be started every time when someone asks a question or make a statement?, is this the best way ahead for this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
08 May 2020, 10:00 am #49

What’s all these pointless threads that are opening up, having a fleet number and incident thread just started up, should this be put into the incidents thread, this is going to open up a can of worms, is a new thread going to be started every time when someone asks a question or make a statement?, is this the best way ahead for this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 May 2020, 11:01 am #50
(08 May 2020, 9:03 am)Andreos1 That's the route I've been taking. Saves a scroll to the top of the page too. 

Looks like quite a lot of avitars have disappeared, then again, I can never remember who had one.
Mine's still there so that's all that matters Tongue
streetdeckfan
08 May 2020, 11:01 am #50

(08 May 2020, 9:03 am)Andreos1 That's the route I've been taking. Saves a scroll to the top of the page too. 

Looks like quite a lot of avitars have disappeared, then again, I can never remember who had one.

Andreos1

08 May 2020, 11:48 am #51
(08 May 2020, 11:01 am)streetdeckfan Looks like quite a lot of avitars have disappeared, then again, I can never remember who had one.

Mine was looking a bit dated. Opportunity to change it around a bit.

Andreos1
08 May 2020, 11:48 am #51

(08 May 2020, 11:01 am)streetdeckfan Looks like quite a lot of avitars have disappeared, then again, I can never remember who had one.

Mine was looking a bit dated. Opportunity to change it around a bit.

08 May 2020, 12:02 pm #52
(08 May 2020, 11:48 am)Andreos1 Mine was looking a bit dated. Opportunity to change it around a bit.

I never bothered setting one until the other day, thought I'd combine the Castles Express and X-Lines branding in Illustrator and it doesn't look that bad, wish they'd kept Castles Express as the name just flows much better, and IMO sounds so much better. 

Funnily enough the new Nexus bus stop timetables still refer to the X21 as Castles Express so it's not completely dead yet!
streetdeckfan
08 May 2020, 12:02 pm #52

(08 May 2020, 11:48 am)Andreos1 Mine was looking a bit dated. Opportunity to change it around a bit.

I never bothered setting one until the other day, thought I'd combine the Castles Express and X-Lines branding in Illustrator and it doesn't look that bad, wish they'd kept Castles Express as the name just flows much better, and IMO sounds so much better. 

Funnily enough the new Nexus bus stop timetables still refer to the X21 as Castles Express so it's not completely dead yet!

09 May 2020, 7:07 pm #53
I am happy for the operator segregation, especially between Go North East, Arriva and Stagecoach, to continue.

An advantage in shelving the monthly segregation is if we lose track of when we last looked at applicable threads.  IIRC I came here on April 11th then May 2nd, but was not sure where I was up to in April's thread.  The little >> will help me more easily pick up where I left off!

Having on the front page the name and date of most recent post, together with word New or Old, is also a good reference to which sections will have updates since our last visit.
MetrolineGA1511
09 May 2020, 7:07 pm #53

I am happy for the operator segregation, especially between Go North East, Arriva and Stagecoach, to continue.

An advantage in shelving the monthly segregation is if we lose track of when we last looked at applicable threads.  IIRC I came here on April 11th then May 2nd, but was not sure where I was up to in April's thread.  The little >> will help me more easily pick up where I left off!

Having on the front page the name and date of most recent post, together with word New or Old, is also a good reference to which sections will have updates since our last visit.

LeeCalder

11 May 2020, 8:21 am #54
Not sure if I'm being thick but....
.... I've got 6 notifications on my control panel, and I can't clear them.

First world problems, but it's highly annoying.
LeeCalder
11 May 2020, 8:21 am #54

Not sure if I'm being thick but....

Dan

Site Administrator

11 May 2020, 8:45 am #55
(11 May 2020, 8:21 am)LeeCalder Not sure if I'm being thick but....

Are you on desktop or mobile? 

On desktop there should be a little option to 'delete all alerts'? Failing that, you can delete them individually after clicking 'View Alerts'.

.png
NEB_alerts.png
Size 15.81 KB / Downloads 9

.png
NEB_alerts2.png
Size 17.71 KB / Downloads 9
Dan
11 May 2020, 8:45 am #55

(11 May 2020, 8:21 am)LeeCalder Not sure if I'm being thick but....

Are you on desktop or mobile? 

On desktop there should be a little option to 'delete all alerts'? Failing that, you can delete them individually after clicking 'View Alerts'.

.png
NEB_alerts.png
Size 15.81 KB / Downloads 9

.png
NEB_alerts2.png
Size 17.71 KB / Downloads 9

LeeCalder

11 May 2020, 10:03 am #56
(11 May 2020, 8:45 am)Dan Are you on desktop or mobile? 

Thanks Dan, I'm on desktop.

Clicking on 'Alerts' in the control panel doesn't do anything. That'll be the issue.
LeeCalder
11 May 2020, 10:03 am #56

(11 May 2020, 8:45 am)Dan Are you on desktop or mobile? 

Thanks Dan, I'm on desktop.

Clicking on 'Alerts' in the control panel doesn't do anything. That'll be the issue.

Dan

Site Administrator

11 May 2020, 10:56 am #57
(11 May 2020, 10:03 am)LeeCalder Thanks Dan, I'm on desktop.

Can you try refreshing your browser cache for me please? Smile
Dan
11 May 2020, 10:56 am #57

(11 May 2020, 10:03 am)LeeCalder Thanks Dan, I'm on desktop.

Can you try refreshing your browser cache for me please? Smile

LeeCalder

14 May 2020, 8:07 am #58
I've noted that despite the change of layout on the forum, and the capability to create threads etc, all discussion has merged back into two main threads
LeeCalder
14 May 2020, 8:07 am #58

I've noted that despite the change of layout on the forum, and the capability to create threads etc, all discussion has merged back into two main threads

14 May 2020, 2:41 pm #59
(14 May 2020, 8:07 am)LeeCalder I've noted that despite the change of layout on the forum, and the capability to create threads etc, all discussion has merged back into two main threads

That probably has something to do with the fact that there's really sod all else to talk about at the minute. Pretty much everything is either to do with COVID or the upcoming service changes. It wouldn't make sense to create new threads for each little thing when they all fall under the same umbrella. 
Once things start to pick up I'd imagine we'll see a lot more discussion around other things
streetdeckfan
14 May 2020, 2:41 pm #59

(14 May 2020, 8:07 am)LeeCalder I've noted that despite the change of layout on the forum, and the capability to create threads etc, all discussion has merged back into two main threads

That probably has something to do with the fact that there's really sod all else to talk about at the minute. Pretty much everything is either to do with COVID or the upcoming service changes. It wouldn't make sense to create new threads for each little thing when they all fall under the same umbrella. 
Once things start to pick up I'd imagine we'll see a lot more discussion around other things

Adrian

14 May 2020, 2:49 pm #60

Where we notice discussion splitting into two different conversations, we're taking the opportunity to split the thread. We've done that earlier with the Nexus contract awards for May and also the rumoured/confirmed commercial service changes that GNE are doing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 May 2020, 2:49 pm #60

Where we notice discussion splitting into two different conversations, we're taking the opportunity to split the thread. We've done that earlier with the Nexus contract awards for May and also the rumoured/confirmed commercial service changes that GNE are doing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average