Menu

North East Buses The Site News & Site Updates SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

SITE UPDATE: 3 May 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Storx

04 May 2020, 10:44 am #21
I hope I don't come across a bit of a knob when I say this but I feel your really taking the wrong approach if your wanting to try and take the social media crowd.

The big reason why most people choose social media is it's one feed instead of lots of little feeds which are split all over the place and it's way that newer forums are going too as it's just easier to use. The design you've chosen here is the total opposite and fragments it badly with the images etc which is a waste of space. The most important part the last post info is tiny at the bottom and it's cut off as it's capped on one line.

For an example of a modern forum check out https://forums.gearsofwar.com/ it's all one page with the option of splitting it up into seperate categories if you want but it's purely a feed and that's what people want to see. They also use tags which is another way to get seperate topics out so you can further split thread types up. Reddit is another example of a good forum design (it's what it is really) and is something which killed many forums off in many other subjects which is similar but doesn't have forums at all and only uses tags. I'm not sure what's possible with MyBB though as I've never used it.

I won't be all negative though and say I'm glad you've finally decided to split the forum threads up as the latest discussion together didn't really work as it was too many discussions bouncing over the top of each other.
Storx
04 May 2020, 10:44 am #21

I hope I don't come across a bit of a knob when I say this but I feel your really taking the wrong approach if your wanting to try and take the social media crowd.

The big reason why most people choose social media is it's one feed instead of lots of little feeds which are split all over the place and it's way that newer forums are going too as it's just easier to use. The design you've chosen here is the total opposite and fragments it badly with the images etc which is a waste of space. The most important part the last post info is tiny at the bottom and it's cut off as it's capped on one line.

For an example of a modern forum check out https://forums.gearsofwar.com/ it's all one page with the option of splitting it up into seperate categories if you want but it's purely a feed and that's what people want to see. They also use tags which is another way to get seperate topics out so you can further split thread types up. Reddit is another example of a good forum design (it's what it is really) and is something which killed many forums off in many other subjects which is similar but doesn't have forums at all and only uses tags. I'm not sure what's possible with MyBB though as I've never used it.

I won't be all negative though and say I'm glad you've finally decided to split the forum threads up as the latest discussion together didn't really work as it was too many discussions bouncing over the top of each other.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 May 2020, 11:14 am #22
(04 May 2020, 10:44 am)Storx I hope I don't come across a bit of a knob when I say this but I feel your really taking the wrong approach if your wanting to try and take the social media crowd.

Not at all. Cheers for the feedback. We'll have a look at that example to see if there's anything we can take for inspiration. Smile 

The new 'feed' page is really the thing that shows everything in one feed, rather than the forum itself.

Glad you like the new split threads! We've debated this one for a long time now and never been brave enough to go down the route of splitting it. I've had the full weekend to adjust now and I do think it's a lot better.
Dan
04 May 2020, 11:14 am #22

(04 May 2020, 10:44 am)Storx I hope I don't come across a bit of a knob when I say this but I feel your really taking the wrong approach if your wanting to try and take the social media crowd.

Not at all. Cheers for the feedback. We'll have a look at that example to see if there's anything we can take for inspiration. Smile 

The new 'feed' page is really the thing that shows everything in one feed, rather than the forum itself.

Glad you like the new split threads! We've debated this one for a long time now and never been brave enough to go down the route of splitting it. I've had the full weekend to adjust now and I do think it's a lot better.

Michael

04 May 2020, 11:20 am #23
(04 May 2020, 11:14 am)Dan Not at all. Cheers for the feedback. We'll have a look at that example to see if there's anything we can take for inspiration. Smile 

I like it better on the desktop version than the mobile version.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 May 2020, 11:20 am #23

(04 May 2020, 11:14 am)Dan Not at all. Cheers for the feedback. We'll have a look at that example to see if there's anything we can take for inspiration. Smile 

I like it better on the desktop version than the mobile version.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

04 May 2020, 11:37 am #24
This was the only forum that I frequent that had all the discussion in one thread, which I thought was very strange! I got used to it, but I'm definitely glad to see the back of it!
The forum that I use the most (LinusTechTips) I feel has the best layout, with everything segmented all on one page, plus a dark mode! I get that we can change the colour scheme, but a toggle between a dark mode and a light mode would be handy for when I'm on at 3am like I usually am!
I'm also really liking the notifications on the desktop, handy to see when you've been quoted and not realised.
streetdeckfan
04 May 2020, 11:37 am #24

This was the only forum that I frequent that had all the discussion in one thread, which I thought was very strange! I got used to it, but I'm definitely glad to see the back of it!
The forum that I use the most (LinusTechTips) I feel has the best layout, with everything segmented all on one page, plus a dark mode! I get that we can change the colour scheme, but a toggle between a dark mode and a light mode would be handy for when I'm on at 3am like I usually am!
I'm also really liking the notifications on the desktop, handy to see when you've been quoted and not realised.

Andreos1

04 May 2020, 12:39 pm #25
(04 May 2020, 10:18 am)Dan Cheers, Andreos.

It's "all or nothing" with the unread posts thing, so the user stats, board stats and latest threads would all have to be at the top too on mobile view which is why it wasn't put there originally. If it was in the side menu (the three lines where you navigate between news, photos, fleet lists etc), would that suffice? We'll have to take the unread posts feature offline for a few hours to be able to do this.

We're not too convinced by the red arrow scroller so we'll look into its removal.

I've noticed the unread function is now showing on the side bar. Much easier to access. 
The red arrow seems to have vanished now too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 May 2020, 12:39 pm #25

(04 May 2020, 10:18 am)Dan Cheers, Andreos.

It's "all or nothing" with the unread posts thing, so the user stats, board stats and latest threads would all have to be at the top too on mobile view which is why it wasn't put there originally. If it was in the side menu (the three lines where you navigate between news, photos, fleet lists etc), would that suffice? We'll have to take the unread posts feature offline for a few hours to be able to do this.

We're not too convinced by the red arrow scroller so we'll look into its removal.

I've noticed the unread function is now showing on the side bar. Much easier to access. 

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Dan

Site Administrator

04 May 2020, 12:42 pm #26
(04 May 2020, 12:39 pm)Andreos1 I've noticed the unread function is now showing on the side bar. Much easier to access. 

Brilliant. It's there as a link at the moment without the (count) at the end of it, but we're going to get that sorted too.
Dan
04 May 2020, 12:42 pm #26

(04 May 2020, 12:39 pm)Andreos1 I've noticed the unread function is now showing on the side bar. Much easier to access. 

Brilliant. It's there as a link at the moment without the (count) at the end of it, but we're going to get that sorted too.

04 May 2020, 12:52 pm #27
(04 May 2020, 12:42 pm)Dan Brilliant. It's there as a link at the moment without the (count) at the end of it, but we're going to get that sorted too.

With MyBB is there a way to add 'spoilers' to the posts? I'm thinking of posting something with quite a bit of data and it would be quite handy if it was 'hidden' until you click on it
streetdeckfan
04 May 2020, 12:52 pm #27

(04 May 2020, 12:42 pm)Dan Brilliant. It's there as a link at the moment without the (count) at the end of it, but we're going to get that sorted too.

With MyBB is there a way to add 'spoilers' to the posts? I'm thinking of posting something with quite a bit of data and it would be quite handy if it was 'hidden' until you click on it

Adrian

04 May 2020, 5:55 pm #28
(04 May 2020, 12:52 pm)streetdeckfan With MyBB is there a way to add 'spoilers' to the posts? I'm thinking of posting something with quite a bit of data and it would be quite handy if it was 'hidden' until you click on it

It appears to be possible by plugin. I'm not particularly for or against, but what would could you see the use case being for having it?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 May 2020, 5:55 pm #28

(04 May 2020, 12:52 pm)streetdeckfan With MyBB is there a way to add 'spoilers' to the posts? I'm thinking of posting something with quite a bit of data and it would be quite handy if it was 'hidden' until you click on it

It appears to be possible by plugin. I'm not particularly for or against, but what would could you see the use case being for having it?

04 May 2020, 6:36 pm #29
(04 May 2020, 5:55 pm)Adrian It appears to be possible by plugin. I'm not particularly for or against, but what would could you see the use case being for having it?

On other forums (LTT in particular) it gets used as a way to 'compress' the post down by hiding parts that aren't essential. For instance, I use spoiler tags whenever I post an image, so the image would be inside the spoiler tag and therefore hidden until it's clicked on. This is particularly handy when you're doing quite a long post and referencing lots of things. Granted, it's not something that's you'd use all the time, but it does come in quite handy.

I've just been going through all my travel data for the last 6 months and I was going to make a post about it, comparing the costs of travelling by bus compared to car, comparing different pricing strategies etc. (I spent far too much time in Excel last night!). Ideally I would like to have the tables and graphs of the data in the post, and it would be much better imo to have them hidden unless you want to click on it. 

I suppose I could just create a blog and post it on there like some others do!

I started planning the post out last night and so far I'm up to 3 A4 pages long (with the tables/graphs). I really need to realise that this isn't for work and I don't need to be writing a 100 page report on it like usual, but I can't help myself!
streetdeckfan
04 May 2020, 6:36 pm #29

(04 May 2020, 5:55 pm)Adrian It appears to be possible by plugin. I'm not particularly for or against, but what would could you see the use case being for having it?

On other forums (LTT in particular) it gets used as a way to 'compress' the post down by hiding parts that aren't essential. For instance, I use spoiler tags whenever I post an image, so the image would be inside the spoiler tag and therefore hidden until it's clicked on. This is particularly handy when you're doing quite a long post and referencing lots of things. Granted, it's not something that's you'd use all the time, but it does come in quite handy.

I've just been going through all my travel data for the last 6 months and I was going to make a post about it, comparing the costs of travelling by bus compared to car, comparing different pricing strategies etc. (I spent far too much time in Excel last night!). Ideally I would like to have the tables and graphs of the data in the post, and it would be much better imo to have them hidden unless you want to click on it. 

I started planning the post out last night and so far I'm up to 3 A4 pages long (with the tables/graphs). I really need to realise that this isn't for work and I don't need to be writing a 100 page report on it like usual, but I can't help myself!

Adrian

04 May 2020, 7:00 pm #30
(04 May 2020, 6:36 pm)streetdeckfan On other forums (LTT in particular) it gets used as a way to 'compress' the post down by hiding parts that aren't essential. For instance, I use spoiler tags whenever I post an image, so the image would be inside the spoiler tag and therefore hidden until it's clicked on. This is particularly handy when you're doing quite a long post and referencing lots of things. Granted, it's not something that's you'd use all the time, but it does come in quite handy.

But not really what a spoiler plugin is for! Smile

Adrian
04 May 2020, 7:00 pm #30

(04 May 2020, 6:36 pm)streetdeckfan On other forums (LTT in particular) it gets used as a way to 'compress' the post down by hiding parts that aren't essential. For instance, I use spoiler tags whenever I post an image, so the image would be inside the spoiler tag and therefore hidden until it's clicked on. This is particularly handy when you're doing quite a long post and referencing lots of things. Granted, it's not something that's you'd use all the time, but it does come in quite handy.

But not really what a spoiler plugin is for! Smile

04 May 2020, 7:14 pm #31
(04 May 2020, 7:00 pm)Adrian But not really what a spoiler plugin is for! Smile
It doesn't matter what it's made for, its what it gets used for!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
04 May 2020, 7:14 pm #31

(04 May 2020, 7:00 pm)Adrian But not really what a spoiler plugin is for! Smile
It doesn't matter what it's made for, its what it gets used for!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

LeeCalder

05 May 2020, 8:08 am #32

Don't write about it then?

A much easier alternative, and I think a lot would thank you for it...
LeeCalder
05 May 2020, 8:08 am #32

Don't write about it then?

A much easier alternative, and I think a lot would thank you for it...

Dan

Site Administrator

05 May 2020, 11:28 am #33
(03 May 2020, 9:42 pm)TEN 6083 https://ukbuses.co.uk/

The most up to date fleetlist I’ve found for Arriva is on this website

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

That fleet list is way off in some places - huge inaccuracies - but that said we've managed to obtain a copy of Arriva's own fleet allocation sheets and we've updated the fleet list using that. News will be backdated in due course.
Dan
05 May 2020, 11:28 am #33

(03 May 2020, 9:42 pm)TEN 6083 https://ukbuses.co.uk/

The most up to date fleetlist I’ve found for Arriva is on this website

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

That fleet list is way off in some places - huge inaccuracies - but that said we've managed to obtain a copy of Arriva's own fleet allocation sheets and we've updated the fleet list using that. News will be backdated in due course.

Malarkey

06 May 2020, 7:13 pm #34
I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

Hopefully with this refresh this will bring back old forum members who have came and gone over the years along with welcoming new members from all across the country over the months ahead so that the sub forums for other local areas become more active with updates for us up here in the North East to keep up to date. Maybe this could be a focal point for a future expansion of the forum in the future.

The only thing missing for me from the new layout is the Latest Threads for GNE/SNE/ANE, I think these should be kept given we still have Latest Threads for our local independent operators along with operations for elsewhere in the country in personal opinion, I've always liked viewing those myself personally in order to keep up to date with things even if the vast majority of posts made on those threads weren't specifically related to that specific area of the forum as often posts have had to be removed or moved elsewhere for going off topic.

I've been working my way through my old GNE photos over the past few days dating back to 2015, hopefully will start getting some of these uploaded in the coming days and weeks ahead so these can be used within Fleet News/Bygone Era if needed as I have uploaded a shed load of Arriva/Stagecoach ones prior to these, I also have a shed load of Independent Operators photos to go through for the NE aswell.

Dan feel free to use any of photos as part of these updates
Malarkey
06 May 2020, 7:13 pm #34

I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

Hopefully with this refresh this will bring back old forum members who have came and gone over the years along with welcoming new members from all across the country over the months ahead so that the sub forums for other local areas become more active with updates for us up here in the North East to keep up to date. Maybe this could be a focal point for a future expansion of the forum in the future.

The only thing missing for me from the new layout is the Latest Threads for GNE/SNE/ANE, I think these should be kept given we still have Latest Threads for our local independent operators along with operations for elsewhere in the country in personal opinion, I've always liked viewing those myself personally in order to keep up to date with things even if the vast majority of posts made on those threads weren't specifically related to that specific area of the forum as often posts have had to be removed or moved elsewhere for going off topic.

I've been working my way through my old GNE photos over the past few days dating back to 2015, hopefully will start getting some of these uploaded in the coming days and weeks ahead so these can be used within Fleet News/Bygone Era if needed as I have uploaded a shed load of Arriva/Stagecoach ones prior to these, I also have a shed load of Independent Operators photos to go through for the NE aswell.

06 May 2020, 9:05 pm #35
(06 May 2020, 7:13 pm)Malarkey I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

I suppose it would be good to have just a 'Latest News' thread to have that all in one place and keep the 'Discussion' to their own threads.
streetdeckfan
06 May 2020, 9:05 pm #35

(06 May 2020, 7:13 pm)Malarkey I really like the new look of the forum having seen it evolve from it's early days when I first joined back in 2012, this forum has come a long way since then through a continuous background work done by Dan, Adrian and Liam to name a few and those who have shared content over the years, the forum wouldn't be what it is today without this joint effort.

I suppose it would be good to have just a 'Latest News' thread to have that all in one place and keep the 'Discussion' to their own threads.

Malarkey

06 May 2020, 9:11 pm #36
(06 May 2020, 9:05 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose it would be good to have just a 'Latest News' thread to have that all in one place and keep the 'Discussion' to their own threads.

I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.
Malarkey
06 May 2020, 9:11 pm #36

(06 May 2020, 9:05 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose it would be good to have just a 'Latest News' thread to have that all in one place and keep the 'Discussion' to their own threads.

I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.

06 May 2020, 9:25 pm #37
(06 May 2020, 9:11 pm)Malarkey I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.

I suppose there's nowt stopping anyone from just making the Latest News thread if there is actually any news!
streetdeckfan
06 May 2020, 9:25 pm #37

(06 May 2020, 9:11 pm)Malarkey I agree, I think removing the "Latest News" threads for GNE/SNE/ANE limits conversation as what has been kept under these are the sub forums which only get sporadic use.

I suppose there's nowt stopping anyone from just making the Latest News thread if there is actually any news!

BusLoverMum

06 May 2020, 9:47 pm #38
Hey, I grew up without discussion boards, too!

But that's because my first foray into the Internet was via 56k dial up, at the ripe old age of 28.
BusLoverMum
06 May 2020, 9:47 pm #38

Hey, I grew up without discussion boards, too!

But that's because my first foray into the Internet was via 56k dial up, at the ripe old age of 28.

Michael

06 May 2020, 10:16 pm #39
I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

This only happened about 5 times since the update, could be a problem on my end though.

(06 May 2020, 9:47 pm)BusLoverMum Hey, I grew up without discussion boards, too!

The good ole AOL dial up?

I remember those days, i used to go offit because my mam would pick the phone up and the internet would cut off hahaha
Edited 06 May 2020, 10:17 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 May 2020, 10:16 pm #39

I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

This only happened about 5 times since the update, could be a problem on my end though.

(06 May 2020, 9:47 pm)BusLoverMum Hey, I grew up without discussion boards, too!

I remember those days, i used to go offit because my mam would pick the phone up and the internet would cut off hahaha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

06 May 2020, 10:56 pm #40
(06 May 2020, 10:16 pm)Michael I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

I haven't had an issue with the site at all, could be because I always have it open in the background (I'm one of those people who never closes tabs!)

We first got internet in the early 2000s so we didn't have to deal with that, we had Telewest Blueyonder, I think it was a 10 meg connection. One of my friends didn't get an internet connection until we started secondary school in 2008!
streetdeckfan
06 May 2020, 10:56 pm #40

(06 May 2020, 10:16 pm)Michael I'm having a problem with the page not loading properly, meaning i'm having to refresh the page sometimes.

I haven't had an issue with the site at all, could be because I always have it open in the background (I'm one of those people who never closes tabs!)

We first got internet in the early 2000s so we didn't have to deal with that, we had Telewest Blueyonder, I think it was a 10 meg connection. One of my friends didn't get an internet connection until we started secondary school in 2008!

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average