Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

Arriva North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

Arriva North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next
Andreos1

10 Apr 2020, 1:51 pm #21
(10 Apr 2020, 1:47 pm)scanialover Would suggest that Arriva, at least Dormanstown and Stockton which are on my patch, are rotating vehicles, as opposed to taking a number out of service. Don't get to see that many due to keeping to the guidelines but that's what it looks like. Anyone else got any thoughts.

The 3/X4 has been mainly Streetlites, but there's a Temsa on the 3 today.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Apr 2020, 1:51 pm #21

(10 Apr 2020, 1:47 pm)scanialover Would suggest that Arriva, at least Dormanstown and Stockton which are on my patch, are rotating vehicles, as opposed to taking a number out of service. Don't get to see that many due to keeping to the guidelines but that's what it looks like. Anyone else got any thoughts.

The 3/X4 has been mainly Streetlites, but there's a Temsa on the 3 today.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Storx

10 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm #22
(09 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm)mb134 For Jesmond it'll be to provide increased capacity. 

Ashington and Blyth using MPDs may also be due to seats, or even how reliable/fuel efficient they are. Possibly also if the MPDs have recently had MOTs etc then they'll need less work done to them. 

I imagine, as said above, though that Arriva's engineering has looked at it and decided that it might be better to keep as much of the fleet as possible in use in rotation.

It just seems an odd choice to increase the capacity so much on routes which don't usually have deckers but it seems Arriva have a different approach up here than GNE as I've noticed Blyth aren't using the Solos and are using the Pulsars instead so it seems they have put the passenger first rather than money by giving more space to spread out.

Arriva definitely haven't withdrawn anything as if you search any bus on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk nothing is SORN whereas all the GNE and Stagecoach withdrawn buses are. They've even renewed the tax for some vehicles including NK05 GVX (1760) which has pretty much been on the 58 everyday the past week which would be the first bus you'd withdraw otherwise.
Storx
10 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm #22

(09 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm)mb134 For Jesmond it'll be to provide increased capacity. 

Ashington and Blyth using MPDs may also be due to seats, or even how reliable/fuel efficient they are. Possibly also if the MPDs have recently had MOTs etc then they'll need less work done to them. 

I imagine, as said above, though that Arriva's engineering has looked at it and decided that it might be better to keep as much of the fleet as possible in use in rotation.

It just seems an odd choice to increase the capacity so much on routes which don't usually have deckers but it seems Arriva have a different approach up here than GNE as I've noticed Blyth aren't using the Solos and are using the Pulsars instead so it seems they have put the passenger first rather than money by giving more space to spread out.

Arriva definitely haven't withdrawn anything as if you search any bus on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk nothing is SORN whereas all the GNE and Stagecoach withdrawn buses are. They've even renewed the tax for some vehicles including NK05 GVX (1760) which has pretty much been on the 58 everyday the past week which would be the first bus you'd withdraw otherwise.

Cock Robin

10 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm #23
Vehicles have been taken off. They have notices in them regarding corona virus and instructing not to remove parts.
I believe which have come off is partly due to which are due to come up for test?
As you can only get a refund for a full month if they weren't delicensed until after 1st April they won't save anything unless they are still delicensed at the end of May?
I would hope it's not going on that long!
Cock Robin
10 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm #23

Vehicles have been taken off. They have notices in them regarding corona virus and instructing not to remove parts.
I believe which have come off is partly due to which are due to come up for test?
As you can only get a refund for a full month if they weren't delicensed until after 1st April they won't save anything unless they are still delicensed at the end of May?

10 Apr 2020, 3:24 pm #24
Go along with that. Vehicles that are approaching their test date and those that are, shall I say, potentially unreliable, should really be confined to the depot. Maybe give engineering the chance to work on these.
scanialover
10 Apr 2020, 3:24 pm #24

Go along with that. Vehicles that are approaching their test date and those that are, shall I say, potentially unreliable, should really be confined to the depot. Maybe give engineering the chance to work on these.

10 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm #25
MPDs are withdrawn at Ashington. StreetLites operating in their place.
omnicity4659
10 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm #25

MPDs are withdrawn at Ashington. StreetLites operating in their place.

Storx

10 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm #26
(10 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)omnicity4659 MPDs are withdrawn at Ashington. StreetLites operating in their place.

Are you sure about that? The past week it's been the 2 Streetlites and 1800 and 1801 running the 57/57A. Haven't seen a Solo in weeks now.
Storx
10 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm #26

(10 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)omnicity4659 MPDs are withdrawn at Ashington. StreetLites operating in their place.

Are you sure about that? The past week it's been the 2 Streetlites and 1800 and 1801 running the 57/57A. Haven't seen a Solo in weeks now.

cbma06

10 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm #27
(10 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm)Cock Robin Vehicles have been taken off. They have notices in them regarding corona virus and instructing not to remove parts.

This lockdown will be at least 3 months, the number of people catching the virus has to decline first of all and less deaths before any sign of reducing the lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
10 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm #27

(10 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm)Cock Robin Vehicles have been taken off. They have notices in them regarding corona virus and instructing not to remove parts.

This lockdown will be at least 3 months, the number of people catching the virus has to decline first of all and less deaths before any sign of reducing the lockdown

peter

10 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm #28

(10 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm)Storx Are you sure about that? The past week it's been the 2 Streetlites and 1800 and 1801 running the 57/57A. Haven't seen a Solo in weeks now.

He may be referring to today specifically as there are 2 Streetlites and a Pulsar operating the 57a. However for the past three days there were in fact 2 MPDs (1800/01), a Streetlite (1580) and a Solo (2812) all operating according to bustimes.
peter
10 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm #28

(10 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm)Storx Are you sure about that? The past week it's been the 2 Streetlites and 1800 and 1801 running the 57/57A. Haven't seen a Solo in weeks now.

He may be referring to today specifically as there are 2 Streetlites and a Pulsar operating the 57a. However for the past three days there were in fact 2 MPDs (1800/01), a Streetlite (1580) and a Solo (2812) all operating according to bustimes.

S830OFT

10 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm #29
MPDs don't work on Public Holidays as the North Shields section is subsidised by Nexus...

S830OFT
10 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm #29

MPDs don't work on Public Holidays as the North Shields section is subsidised by Nexus...

BusLoverMum

10 Apr 2020, 10:14 pm #30
(09 Apr 2020, 8:24 pm)Storx Just curious does anyone know how Arriva Northumbria have decided which buses are still on the road as there's some very bizarre choices. Ashington And Blyth keeping darts on the road and taking the Solos off. Jesmond taking the whole streetlite fleet off yet keeping the 51/02 plate Volve B7TL's on the road are just a couple. Surely the darts and 18 year old deckers can't be more economical than newer stuff and there's newer Enviro's off the road at Jesmond aswell or are these just all knackered?

Edit: then again it doesn't like they've actually withdrawn anything as everything is still taxed.

Also am I right in saying the 57 on Sundays and evening is ran 1 bus from Blyth and 1 bus from Ashington now. Notice there's a Streetlite and a Gemini 2 on which is a bit overkill.
Belmont's allocations are heinz 57, too.
BusLoverMum
10 Apr 2020, 10:14 pm #30

(09 Apr 2020, 8:24 pm)Storx Just curious does anyone know how Arriva Northumbria have decided which buses are still on the road as there's some very bizarre choices. Ashington And Blyth keeping darts on the road and taking the Solos off. Jesmond taking the whole streetlite fleet off yet keeping the 51/02 plate Volve B7TL's on the road are just a couple. Surely the darts and 18 year old deckers can't be more economical than newer stuff and there's newer Enviro's off the road at Jesmond aswell or are these just all knackered?

Edit: then again it doesn't like they've actually withdrawn anything as everything is still taxed.

Also am I right in saying the 57 on Sundays and evening is ran 1 bus from Blyth and 1 bus from Ashington now. Notice there's a Streetlite and a Gemini 2 on which is a bit overkill.
Belmont's allocations are heinz 57, too.

mb134

11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm #31

Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.
mb134
11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm #31

Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.

11 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm #32
(11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm)mb134 Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.

Apologies, noticed that today. Good Friday and the restrictions on fleet that come with it caught me off guard.
omnicity4659
11 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm #32

(11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm)mb134 Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.

Apologies, noticed that today. Good Friday and the restrictions on fleet that come with it caught me off guard.

12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm #33
I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?
scanialover
12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm #33

I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Apr 2020, 3:17 pm #34
(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?

Yes, they probably would (they did before this “bail out” was announced!)

The “bail out” doesn’t cover all of the costs the company faces to run these bus services. Arriva are still running these services at a massive loss.

Dan
12 Apr 2020, 3:17 pm #34

(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?

Yes, they probably would (they did before this “bail out” was announced!)

The “bail out” doesn’t cover all of the costs the company faces to run these bus services. Arriva are still running these services at a massive loss.

12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm #35
Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?
scanialover
12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm #35

Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?

12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm #36
(12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm)scanialover Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?
As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm #36

(12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm)scanialover Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?
As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm #37
(12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)streetdeckfan As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Yes, the information available publicly doesn’t hold much detail of what the “bail-out” entails other than being an enhancement of BSOG - it is a good thing and absolutely what the industry needed, but by no means covers all costs. There’s a lot of hidden costs in running a bus company, quite difficult to quantify, which operators still need to face the costs of (so they’re still making significant losses!)

Lots of “people cost” for those not out there on the frontline but are still needed to help deliver schedule changes, manage bus depots, repair buses, etc.

Vehicle insurance is another massive cost which operators will still need to pay themselves. Then smaller costs, but costs nevertheless, such as ticket machine licensing. Lots of similar examples.

Dan
12 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm #37

(12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)streetdeckfan As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Yes, the information available publicly doesn’t hold much detail of what the “bail-out” entails other than being an enhancement of BSOG - it is a good thing and absolutely what the industry needed, but by no means covers all costs. There’s a lot of hidden costs in running a bus company, quite difficult to quantify, which operators still need to face the costs of (so they’re still making significant losses!)

Lots of “people cost” for those not out there on the frontline but are still needed to help deliver schedule changes, manage bus depots, repair buses, etc.

Vehicle insurance is another massive cost which operators will still need to pay themselves. Then smaller costs, but costs nevertheless, such as ticket machine licensing. Lots of similar examples.

BusLoverMum

12 Apr 2020, 6:37 pm #38
(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in?  I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?
Everything passing us is pretty much empty, too. 

You got further than husband, though. He'd planned a journey the opposite way, to his office in Billingham, this afternoon, to pick up a decent chair and other stuff, only found his car battery dead, do couldn't!
BusLoverMum
12 Apr 2020, 6:37 pm #38

(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in?  I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?
Everything passing us is pretty much empty, too. 

You got further than husband, though. He'd planned a journey the opposite way, to his office in Billingham, this afternoon, to pick up a decent chair and other stuff, only found his car battery dead, do couldn't!

22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm #39
Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times
scanialover
22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm #39

Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times

L469 YVK

22 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm #40
(22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)scanialover Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times
I think in the given circumstances, all NE operators are going out of their way to keep people moving to hats off to them including Arriva!
L469 YVK
22 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm #40

(22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)scanialover Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times
I think in the given circumstances, all NE operators are going out of their way to keep people moving to hats off to them including Arriva!

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average