Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Returning to Public Transport

Returning to Public Transport

Returning to Public Transport

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
mb134

04 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm #21
(04 Jun 2020, 8:54 am)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52909787

A Welsh minister is suggesting pre-booking may be the answer.
Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I'm not sure it would do the industry any favours at all. Certainly not in the short or medium term.

Certainly understand it on trains, where the infrastructure is generally already in place.

With buses, however, I think that any booking system would massively hinder the industry. In terms of commuters, it is unlikely to make much of a difference, but in the case of pensioners it potentially makes the services inaccessible and with leisure users it is an added inconvenience and will simply deter people. For many people who use the bus for leisure (going for a day out, a night at the pub etc) one of the main appeals is being able to turn up at a stop and go - it's simple and doesn't require any thought. 

Longer term, particularly with peak commuter bus services I can see how it would be beneficial for commuters but again it probably creates more problems than it solves.
mb134
04 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm #21

(04 Jun 2020, 8:54 am)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52909787

A Welsh minister is suggesting pre-booking may be the answer.
Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I'm not sure it would do the industry any favours at all. Certainly not in the short or medium term.

Certainly understand it on trains, where the infrastructure is generally already in place.

With buses, however, I think that any booking system would massively hinder the industry. In terms of commuters, it is unlikely to make much of a difference, but in the case of pensioners it potentially makes the services inaccessible and with leisure users it is an added inconvenience and will simply deter people. For many people who use the bus for leisure (going for a day out, a night at the pub etc) one of the main appeals is being able to turn up at a stop and go - it's simple and doesn't require any thought. 

Longer term, particularly with peak commuter bus services I can see how it would be beneficial for commuters but again it probably creates more problems than it solves.

Andreos1

04 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm #22
(04 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm)mb134 Certainly understand it on trains, where the infrastructure is generally already in place.

I agree with most of what you said there. One thing I would add, is that this sort of system adds barriers. It removes the flexibility of turning up for a bus. Turn up and go type services in urban areas has reportededly led to an increase numbers. To restrict that, is only going to take it away.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm #22

(04 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm)mb134 Certainly understand it on trains, where the infrastructure is generally already in place.

I agree with most of what you said there. One thing I would add, is that this sort of system adds barriers. It removes the flexibility of turning up for a bus. Turn up and go type services in urban areas has reportededly led to an increase numbers. To restrict that, is only going to take it away.

04 Jun 2020, 1:29 pm #23
What if you forget your wallet and need to call back home and pick it up. Do you have to re-book a ticket home, then one back out again?
streetdeckfan
04 Jun 2020, 1:29 pm #23

What if you forget your wallet and need to call back home and pick it up. Do you have to re-book a ticket home, then one back out again?

James101

04 Jun 2020, 1:51 pm #24
I'd guess the solution is in tech. An app could be developed to check seat availability, take payment and issue a booking ref/boarding pass. The base is already there in the ViaVan/Tees Flex type apps.
James101
04 Jun 2020, 1:51 pm #24

I'd guess the solution is in tech. An app could be developed to check seat availability, take payment and issue a booking ref/boarding pass. The base is already there in the ViaVan/Tees Flex type apps.

mb134

04 Jun 2020, 1:54 pm #25
(04 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm)Andreos1 I agree with most of what you said there. One thing I would add, is that this sort of system adds barriers. It removes the flexibility of turning up for a bus. Turn up and go type services in urban areas has reportededly led to an increase numbers. To restrict that, is only going to take it away.

(04 Jun 2020, 1:29 pm)streetdeckfan What if you forget your wallet and need to call back home and pick it up. Do you have to re-book a ticket home, then one back out again?

Think these points are the key to it all. 

Bus services, unlike trains, in urban areas are reasonably frequent. If I was to get a train from Newcastle to Aberdeen, I'd book in advance and reserve a seat because I know there are a limited number of trains per day and am I hell standing for 4 hours. 

Being able to just head out at a rough time and catch a bus is a huge plus - say you got an important phone call just before you left the house, with a booking system that could mean you can't get to where you need to be. With the current system, you can relax and just hop onto the next bus. 

I'd back that the people advocating this booking system for buses don't rely on buses, and don't use them for leisure either.
mb134
04 Jun 2020, 1:54 pm #25

(04 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm)Andreos1 I agree with most of what you said there. One thing I would add, is that this sort of system adds barriers. It removes the flexibility of turning up for a bus. Turn up and go type services in urban areas has reportededly led to an increase numbers. To restrict that, is only going to take it away.

(04 Jun 2020, 1:29 pm)streetdeckfan What if you forget your wallet and need to call back home and pick it up. Do you have to re-book a ticket home, then one back out again?

Think these points are the key to it all. 

Bus services, unlike trains, in urban areas are reasonably frequent. If I was to get a train from Newcastle to Aberdeen, I'd book in advance and reserve a seat because I know there are a limited number of trains per day and am I hell standing for 4 hours. 

Being able to just head out at a rough time and catch a bus is a huge plus - say you got an important phone call just before you left the house, with a booking system that could mean you can't get to where you need to be. With the current system, you can relax and just hop onto the next bus. 

I'd back that the people advocating this booking system for buses don't rely on buses, and don't use them for leisure either.

cbma06

04 Jun 2020, 2:15 pm #26
If there saying having a booking system to travel by bus , it’s soo lot of bull and will never happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
04 Jun 2020, 2:15 pm #26

If there saying having a booking system to travel by bus , it’s soo lot of bull and will never happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreos1

04 Jun 2020, 4:14 pm #27
Just seen this.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20200604_171250_com.twitter.android.jpg
Size: 483.23 KB / Downloads: 25

Andreos1
04 Jun 2020, 4:14 pm #27

Just seen this.

Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20200604_171250_com.twitter.android.jpg
Size: 483.23 KB / Downloads: 25

Michael

04 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm #28
(04 Jun 2020, 4:14 pm)Andreos1 Just seen this.

Yup, just been on the live update. Should be now, not later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm #28

Yup, just been on the live update. Should be now, not later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

04 Jun 2020, 4:19 pm #29
(04 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm)Michael Yup, just been on the live update. Should be now, not later.

Possibly even three months ago.

Andreos1
04 Jun 2020, 4:19 pm #29

(04 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm)Michael Yup, just been on the live update. Should be now, not later.

Possibly even three months ago.

citaro5284

04 Jun 2020, 4:56 pm #30

Aye, just announced this evening.

Face masks to become mandatory on public transport in England, Transport Secretary announces
https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/face-m...transport/
citaro5284
04 Jun 2020, 4:56 pm #30

Aye, just announced this evening.

Face masks to become mandatory on public transport in England, Transport Secretary announces

mb134

04 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm #31
(04 Jun 2020, 4:56 pm)citaro5284 Aye, just announced this evening.

Hopefully this will allow for an increase in capacity on buses. I imagine the thinking behind introducing it at this point is that come June 15th more people will be using buses, and that it will be increasingly hard to limit deckers to 20 passengers. This should help the government to stop the "avoid public transport unless absolutely necessary" messaging and help bus operators get back on their feet.
mb134
04 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm #31

(04 Jun 2020, 4:56 pm)citaro5284 Aye, just announced this evening.

Hopefully this will allow for an increase in capacity on buses. I imagine the thinking behind introducing it at this point is that come June 15th more people will be using buses, and that it will be increasingly hard to limit deckers to 20 passengers. This should help the government to stop the "avoid public transport unless absolutely necessary" messaging and help bus operators get back on their feet.

04 Jun 2020, 7:14 pm #32
(04 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm)mb134 Hopefully this will allow for an increase in capacity on buses. I imagine the thinking behind introducing it at this point is that come June 15th more people will be using buses, and that it will be increasingly hard to limit deckers to 20 passengers. This should help the government to stop the "avoid public transport unless absolutely necessary" messaging and help bus operators get back on their feet.

I feel like this is in preparation for the reduction in social distancing from 2m, probably at the beginning of July.
Then again, with the lack of social distancing that seem to be going on at the minute, I wouldn't be surprised if by the time this comes into force there are more restrictions back in place
streetdeckfan
04 Jun 2020, 7:14 pm #32

(04 Jun 2020, 5:19 pm)mb134 Hopefully this will allow for an increase in capacity on buses. I imagine the thinking behind introducing it at this point is that come June 15th more people will be using buses, and that it will be increasingly hard to limit deckers to 20 passengers. This should help the government to stop the "avoid public transport unless absolutely necessary" messaging and help bus operators get back on their feet.

I feel like this is in preparation for the reduction in social distancing from 2m, probably at the beginning of July.
Then again, with the lack of social distancing that seem to be going on at the minute, I wouldn't be surprised if by the time this comes into force there are more restrictions back in place

James101

04 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm #33
Wonder how this will be enforced? Not sure drivers can be expected to get into altercations with passengers. If a passenger ignores the driver and sits down is it even safe for them to leave the cab? At the same time it’s hardly going to warrant police intervention.

Wonder if it’ll be a engine off, newspaper out approach.
James101
04 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm #33

Wonder how this will be enforced? Not sure drivers can be expected to get into altercations with passengers. If a passenger ignores the driver and sits down is it even safe for them to leave the cab? At the same time it’s hardly going to warrant police intervention.

04 Jun 2020, 8:34 pm #34
(04 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm)James101 Wonder how this will be enforced?  Not sure drivers can be expected to get into altercations with passengers. If a passenger ignores the driver and sits down is it even safe for them to leave the cab? At the same time it’s hardly going to warrant police intervention.

I'd imagine GNE would take the same approach they've taken to social distancing. It's not their problem. it's up to the passengers to act responsibly. Drivers are safe behind the screens and that's their priority
streetdeckfan
04 Jun 2020, 8:34 pm #34

(04 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm)James101 Wonder how this will be enforced?  Not sure drivers can be expected to get into altercations with passengers. If a passenger ignores the driver and sits down is it even safe for them to leave the cab? At the same time it’s hardly going to warrant police intervention.

I'd imagine GNE would take the same approach they've taken to social distancing. It's not their problem. it's up to the passengers to act responsibly. Drivers are safe behind the screens and that's their priority

Michael

04 Jun 2020, 9:03 pm #35
Wearing a face covering on public transport in England will be compulsory from 15 June, the transport secretary has announced.

Speaking at the latest coronavirus news conference in Downing Street, Grant Shapps said people can be refused travel if they do not comply and could be fined.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-f...e-12000641

Edit:

Wonder if the metro will have more people traveling the metro.

And wonder how many will go on a rant about being refused on the bus without one.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jun 2020, 9:03 pm #35

Wearing a face covering on public transport in England will be compulsory from 15 June, the transport secretary has announced.

Speaking at the latest coronavirus news conference in Downing Street, Grant Shapps said people can be refused travel if they do not comply and could be fined.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-f...e-12000641

Edit:

Wonder if the metro will have more people traveling the metro.

And wonder how many will go on a rant about being refused on the bus without one.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Charles41

05 Jun 2020, 5:23 am #36
It may well be the case less people use public transport due to their jobs no longer existing. When I return to work I expect buses and metro will be much quieter for a long time to come.

Charles
Charles41
05 Jun 2020, 5:23 am #36

It may well be the case less people use public transport due to their jobs no longer existing. When I return to work I expect buses and metro will be much quieter for a long time to come.

Charles

06 Jun 2020, 9:17 am #37
(02 Jun 2020, 8:30 am)Jimmi Owing to family members with breathing difficulties, I am unlikely to be getting on public transport any time soon or in a very limited capacity at least such as a hospital appointment next month which I can't drive home from but can seemingly go for a test drive up to Barnard Castle.

As much as I want to return to some level of normally and resume my usual activities such as bus bashing I feel it's going to be a fair while until this becomes something that I can do again, not only that but with buses running at roughly 25% capacity it's just not right IMO getting on buses for non essential reasons right now, saw a photo of my local service the other day which is currently running on an hourly frequency with 'Bus Full' on the blind so I don't want people who need to be places getting left behind by me having a jolly.

I'm hoping for September that I can return to travelling and spotting again as per pre lockdown especially as I have trips booked which I've already had to alter, I will however be continuing to spot in a limited capacity by driving to locations where social distancing is possible.

Indeed, even if hotels reopen in July I shall not be going anywhere to ride infrequent services such as these, and risk anyone else having a long wait for the next available bus.
MetrolineGA1511
06 Jun 2020, 9:17 am #37

(02 Jun 2020, 8:30 am)Jimmi Owing to family members with breathing difficulties, I am unlikely to be getting on public transport any time soon or in a very limited capacity at least such as a hospital appointment next month which I can't drive home from but can seemingly go for a test drive up to Barnard Castle.

As much as I want to return to some level of normally and resume my usual activities such as bus bashing I feel it's going to be a fair while until this becomes something that I can do again, not only that but with buses running at roughly 25% capacity it's just not right IMO getting on buses for non essential reasons right now, saw a photo of my local service the other day which is currently running on an hourly frequency with 'Bus Full' on the blind so I don't want people who need to be places getting left behind by me having a jolly.

I'm hoping for September that I can return to travelling and spotting again as per pre lockdown especially as I have trips booked which I've already had to alter, I will however be continuing to spot in a limited capacity by driving to locations where social distancing is possible.

Indeed, even if hotels reopen in July I shall not be going anywhere to ride infrequent services such as these, and risk anyone else having a long wait for the next available bus.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average