Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (36) Previous 1 2 3 436 Next
08 Jul 2020, 8:55 pm #41
What's a fully loaded StreetDeck like GNE's cost? Probably £250-275k each I'd say

Those coaches are probably worth around £200k.

So really, the value depends on how many of GNE's StreetDecks they'd be taking

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Jul 2020, 8:55 pm #41

What's a fully loaded StreetDeck like GNE's cost? Probably £250-275k each I'd say

08 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm #42
Streetdecks will be more as there a 5 year difference inbetween but if they were new then I'd say the coaches is worth more
JACK6081
08 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm #42

Streetdecks will be more as there a 5 year difference inbetween but if they were new then I'd say the coaches is worth more

Michael

08 Jul 2020, 9:25 pm #43
(08 Jul 2020, 8:55 pm)streetdeckfan What's a fully loaded StreetDeck like GNE's cost? Probably £250-275k each I'd say

Dan mentioned that GNE would be saving around £2.25m on 9 Streetdecks not arriving so i take it that money has been invested in the coaches.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jul 2020, 9:25 pm #43

(08 Jul 2020, 8:55 pm)streetdeckfan What's a fully loaded StreetDeck like GNE's cost? Probably £250-275k each I'd say

Dan mentioned that GNE would be saving around £2.25m on 9 Streetdecks not arriving so i take it that money has been invested in the coaches.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

08 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm #44
(08 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm)JACK6081 Streetdecks will be more as there a 5 year difference inbetween but if they were new then I'd say the coaches is worth more

Yeah, I was going off the used prices of the coaches. 

I suppose it's not just about the monetary value, I'd imagine going for the Oxford coaches means they can get them sooner than if they had them made to spec, meaning the B5s can be cascaded and potentially take inefficient vehicles off the road sooner. Plus the hassle of getting demo vehicles in
streetdeckfan
08 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm #44

(08 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm)JACK6081 Streetdecks will be more as there a 5 year difference inbetween but if they were new then I'd say the coaches is worth more

Yeah, I was going off the used prices of the coaches. 

I suppose it's not just about the monetary value, I'd imagine going for the Oxford coaches means they can get them sooner than if they had them made to spec, meaning the B5s can be cascaded and potentially take inefficient vehicles off the road sooner. Plus the hassle of getting demo vehicles in

Michael

08 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm #45
Martjin has kindly answered someones question about the spare for the X9/X10 on the busesnortheast Facebook page:

"A mix of Northern Coaching and the six cylinder Streetdeck will provide spare coverage".

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm #45

Martjin has kindly answered someones question about the spare for the X9/X10 on the busesnortheast Facebook page:

"A mix of Northern Coaching and the six cylinder Streetdeck will provide spare coverage".

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Big O

08 Jul 2020, 11:16 pm #46
Cannot wait to see how the 6 Cylinder Streetdeck performs. Diamond Bus has taken on delivery of some new Streetdecks (not 6 Cylinders) but they look really nice. For me the Gemini 3 body just does it. It seems Wright could be back on their way again. 128 Streetdecks will be joining the firm this year. I really do think Wright should have stuck with the Cummins option for Euro6 however.
Big O
08 Jul 2020, 11:16 pm #46

Cannot wait to see how the 6 Cylinder Streetdeck performs. Diamond Bus has taken on delivery of some new Streetdecks (not 6 Cylinders) but they look really nice. For me the Gemini 3 body just does it. It seems Wright could be back on their way again. 128 Streetdecks will be joining the firm this year. I really do think Wright should have stuck with the Cummins option for Euro6 however.

citaro5284

09 Jul 2020, 5:48 am #47
(08 Jul 2020, 7:28 pm)Michael Ah right, ye think they might, doesn't coaches need tachograph's fitted anyway?
Same rules apply like buses, so as long as the route does not go over 50km then they are not required.
As mb134 said, Stagecoach use them on Buchan Xpress up in Aberdeen and they do not use tachographs, just split the timetable at Ellon
Attached Files
.jpg
68 TT.JPG
Size 51.14 KB / Downloads 42
.jpg
Buchan Xpress.JPG
Size 40.33 KB / Downloads 46
citaro5284
09 Jul 2020, 5:48 am #47

(08 Jul 2020, 7:28 pm)Michael Ah right, ye think they might, doesn't coaches need tachograph's fitted anyway?
Same rules apply like buses, so as long as the route does not go over 50km then they are not required.
As mb134 said, Stagecoach use them on Buchan Xpress up in Aberdeen and they do not use tachographs, just split the timetable at Ellon

Attached Files
.jpg
68 TT.JPG
Size 51.14 KB / Downloads 42
.jpg
Buchan Xpress.JPG
Size 40.33 KB / Downloads 46

big mac

09 Jul 2020, 6:58 am #48
If they are no longer going to serve Eldon Square, where in Newcastle will they depart from?
big mac
09 Jul 2020, 6:58 am #48

If they are no longer going to serve Eldon Square, where in Newcastle will they depart from?

tyresmoke

09 Jul 2020, 9:24 am #49
In my opinion the X9/X10 have been needing a solution like this for years now but passenger loadings have been too high to allow it. With the current situation loadings will naturally reduce, and the train going half hourly in December is likely to take a slice of the passengers too.
Equally it needs to stand out against these to retain as many people as possible, which these coaches will surely help with, especially in the wonderful gold XLines brand - if that is still going ahead.
Naturally it solves a couple of issues in that Oxford get some new vehicles, GNE lose some capex from the budget and cascaded coaches will still allow other routes to be improved, and Oxford lose their coaches that they've never really found a home for since the X90 was pulled.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
09 Jul 2020, 9:24 am #49

In my opinion the X9/X10 have been needing a solution like this for years now but passenger loadings have been too high to allow it. With the current situation loadings will naturally reduce, and the train going half hourly in December is likely to take a slice of the passengers too.
Equally it needs to stand out against these to retain as many people as possible, which these coaches will surely help with, especially in the wonderful gold XLines brand - if that is still going ahead.
Naturally it solves a couple of issues in that Oxford get some new vehicles, GNE lose some capex from the budget and cascaded coaches will still allow other routes to be improved, and Oxford lose their coaches that they've never really found a home for since the X90 was pulled.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Andreos1

09 Jul 2020, 9:38 am #50
(09 Jul 2020, 6:58 am)big mac If they are no longer going to serve Eldon Square, where in Newcastle will they depart from?

It would make sense to try and have them operate as close as possible to Eldon Square. Dropping off on Pilgrim St, away from their main network won't work imo.
In an ideal world, Percy St - but we know that's not likely to happen. 

Gloucester Green in Oxford isn't too big (similar to Eldon Square in some aspects), but probably has the advantage of being a bit quieter vehicle wise hence them operating from there in their previous life.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Jul 2020, 9:38 am #50

(09 Jul 2020, 6:58 am)big mac If they are no longer going to serve Eldon Square, where in Newcastle will they depart from?

It would make sense to try and have them operate as close as possible to Eldon Square. Dropping off on Pilgrim St, away from their main network won't work imo.

Gloucester Green in Oxford isn't too big (similar to Eldon Square in some aspects), but probably has the advantage of being a bit quieter vehicle wise hence them operating from there in their previous life.

Storx

09 Jul 2020, 10:22 am #51
(09 Jul 2020, 9:38 am)Andreos1 It would make sense to try and have them operate as close as possible to Eldon Square. Dropping off on Pilgrim St, away from their main network won't work imo.

Would it really matter not being near Eldon Square; can't imagine there being many connecting customers there. Anyone from Tyne Valley are likely to get the direct train through, anyone from Derwentside / Consett are more likely to go via Durham and the X12 as it'll be quicker and anyone from Gateshead / South Tyneside would change at Heworth or Gateshead instead.

Stagecoach (inc. Megabus) customers are likely the ones are more likely to use the service from Newcastle; wouldn't surprise me if it went from John Dobson Street as it could potentially cause problems at Pilgrim Street aswell as it'll take up 2 out of the 3 bus stops.
Storx
09 Jul 2020, 10:22 am #51

(09 Jul 2020, 9:38 am)Andreos1 It would make sense to try and have them operate as close as possible to Eldon Square. Dropping off on Pilgrim St, away from their main network won't work imo.

Would it really matter not being near Eldon Square; can't imagine there being many connecting customers there. Anyone from Tyne Valley are likely to get the direct train through, anyone from Derwentside / Consett are more likely to go via Durham and the X12 as it'll be quicker and anyone from Gateshead / South Tyneside would change at Heworth or Gateshead instead.

Stagecoach (inc. Megabus) customers are likely the ones are more likely to use the service from Newcastle; wouldn't surprise me if it went from John Dobson Street as it could potentially cause problems at Pilgrim Street aswell as it'll take up 2 out of the 3 bus stops.

09 Jul 2020, 10:31 am #52
Would it not make sense to keep it in Eldon Square, but move it to one of the stands further down so it's got more room to move around? (Assuming the length won't be an issue for other vehicles to navigate around)
streetdeckfan
09 Jul 2020, 10:31 am #52

Would it not make sense to keep it in Eldon Square, but move it to one of the stands further down so it's got more room to move around? (Assuming the length won't be an issue for other vehicles to navigate around)

Andreos1

09 Jul 2020, 10:35 am #53
(09 Jul 2020, 10:22 am)Storx Would it really matter not being near Eldon Square; can't imagine there being many connecting customers there. Anyone from Tyne Valley are likely to get the direct train through, anyone from Derwentside / Consett are more likely to go via Durham and the X12 as it'll be quicker and anyone from Gateshead / South Tyneside would change at Heworth or Gateshead instead.

John Dobson Street was amongst my thoughts too. However, it's not very central compared to some. A loop of sorts, involving Central Station could mitigate that. 

As for Eldon Square, it's the main hub for GNE services in the town. It's right next door to Haymarket and provides connectivity to other services and modes of transport.
Whilst I agree the train may be an option for some on the Tyne Valley, it won't be for all and that element of competition needs to exist. GNE would be daft imo to ignore a certain market that may already exist, just cos there's the direct train option. If that was the case, they may as well not serve Middlesbrough, MetroCentre, Prudhoe, Corbridge, Blaydon or Hexham - cos there's the direct train there too.

Andreos1
09 Jul 2020, 10:35 am #53

(09 Jul 2020, 10:22 am)Storx Would it really matter not being near Eldon Square; can't imagine there being many connecting customers there. Anyone from Tyne Valley are likely to get the direct train through, anyone from Derwentside / Consett are more likely to go via Durham and the X12 as it'll be quicker and anyone from Gateshead / South Tyneside would change at Heworth or Gateshead instead.

John Dobson Street was amongst my thoughts too. However, it's not very central compared to some. A loop of sorts, involving Central Station could mitigate that. 

As for Eldon Square, it's the main hub for GNE services in the town. It's right next door to Haymarket and provides connectivity to other services and modes of transport.
Whilst I agree the train may be an option for some on the Tyne Valley, it won't be for all and that element of competition needs to exist. GNE would be daft imo to ignore a certain market that may already exist, just cos there's the direct train option. If that was the case, they may as well not serve Middlesbrough, MetroCentre, Prudhoe, Corbridge, Blaydon or Hexham - cos there's the direct train there too.

Michael

09 Jul 2020, 10:40 am #54
(09 Jul 2020, 9:24 am)tyresmoke In my opinion the X9/X10 have been needing a solution like this for years now but passenger loadings have been too high to allow it. With the current situation loadings will naturally reduce, and the train going half hourly in December is likely to take a slice of the passengers too.

It was, every other bus they've had on the routes, they've struggled and needed to replaced as quick as they bought them... least with the coaches, they'll get longer out of them, and no doubt it'll good in the X-Lines brand, i'm interested to see how they're gonna stretch the brand
out on them.

-------------------------

I did try a Photoshop but i apologise now, as its horrendous (writing on the bus in RL would be bigger)

Back of the bus, route listed downwards - frequency between shared parts of the route mentioned - features also included

Also streetdeckfan, i hope you don't mind i used your template for my photoshop.

--------------------------

This gives GNE the perfect opportunity to brand the service and show the drivers of the A19, what they're missing out on, so they should advertise it from every angle Tongue

How long is a coach normally in service before it needs replacing?
Attached Files
.jpg
Xline Coach.jpg
Size 209.44 KB / Downloads 58

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jul 2020, 10:40 am #54

(09 Jul 2020, 9:24 am)tyresmoke In my opinion the X9/X10 have been needing a solution like this for years now but passenger loadings have been too high to allow it. With the current situation loadings will naturally reduce, and the train going half hourly in December is likely to take a slice of the passengers too.

It was, every other bus they've had on the routes, they've struggled and needed to replaced as quick as they bought them... least with the coaches, they'll get longer out of them, and no doubt it'll good in the X-Lines brand, i'm interested to see how they're gonna stretch the brand
out on them.

-------------------------

I did try a Photoshop but i apologise now, as its horrendous (writing on the bus in RL would be bigger)

Back of the bus, route listed downwards - frequency between shared parts of the route mentioned - features also included

Also streetdeckfan, i hope you don't mind i used your template for my photoshop.

--------------------------

This gives GNE the perfect opportunity to brand the service and show the drivers of the A19, what they're missing out on, so they should advertise it from every angle Tongue

How long is a coach normally in service before it needs replacing?

Attached Files
.jpg
Xline Coach.jpg
Size 209.44 KB / Downloads 58

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S830OFT

09 Jul 2020, 10:42 am #55
Just to point out the Coaches coming from Oxford have a 3 + 1 seating arrangement at the front of the top deck.

S830OFT
09 Jul 2020, 10:42 am #55

Just to point out the Coaches coming from Oxford have a 3 + 1 seating arrangement at the front of the top deck.

09 Jul 2020, 10:48 am #56
(09 Jul 2020, 10:42 am)S830OFT Just to point out the Coaches coming from Oxford have a 3 + 1 seating arrangement at the front of the top deck.

I guess that's probably pretty easy to change back to 2+2 though if they need it?
streetdeckfan
09 Jul 2020, 10:48 am #56

(09 Jul 2020, 10:42 am)S830OFT Just to point out the Coaches coming from Oxford have a 3 + 1 seating arrangement at the front of the top deck.

I guess that's probably pretty easy to change back to 2+2 though if they need it?

Storx

09 Jul 2020, 10:57 am #57
(09 Jul 2020, 10:35 am)Andreos1 John Dobson Street was amongst my thoughts too. However, it's not very central compared to some. A loop of sorts, involving Central Station could mitigate that. 

Yeah I understand that but when it comes to being quicker and not having a change at the same time, could imagine more people choosing it for the limited amount of people there is. I do understand the new for competition though.

I just had a quick look around town and Market Street could be a potential stop outside of Harry's where the 54 goes (https://goo.gl/maps/Z3AX8HRhaVzwNNKV7). There's plenty space for 2 buses comfortably in there and it's quite central for most people. Could potentially nab a few train passengers aswell instead of having to travel all the way down to Central which is a bit out the way.
Storx
09 Jul 2020, 10:57 am #57

(09 Jul 2020, 10:35 am)Andreos1 John Dobson Street was amongst my thoughts too. However, it's not very central compared to some. A loop of sorts, involving Central Station could mitigate that. 

Yeah I understand that but when it comes to being quicker and not having a change at the same time, could imagine more people choosing it for the limited amount of people there is. I do understand the new for competition though.

I just had a quick look around town and Market Street could be a potential stop outside of Harry's where the 54 goes (https://goo.gl/maps/Z3AX8HRhaVzwNNKV7). There's plenty space for 2 buses comfortably in there and it's quite central for most people. Could potentially nab a few train passengers aswell instead of having to travel all the way down to Central which is a bit out the way.

Andreos1

09 Jul 2020, 11:32 am #58
(09 Jul 2020, 10:57 am)Storx Yeah I understand that but when it comes to being quicker and not having a change at the same time, could imagine more people choosing it for the limited amount of people there is. I do understand the new for competition though.

Market St could be an option, would the rest of the road network be suitable for it to get around? Genuinely don't know. 

I think there will be a lot more comes in to the train vs bus than just speed and convenience. Timetables and price will both be a factor.
As a side note, I've mentioned before that when myself and MrsC are in R&C and coming up to the town, the train is the option we tend to go for. A change at Boro with a railcard is massively cheaper than using the bus. However, depending on what time the return trip back down is, the bus can be the only option.
If its just me making the trip (one way or return), then the bus is a viable alternative. 

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that what may suit one - may not suit the other and with the ticketing arrangements GNE have, they need to ensure passengers are aware, can take advantage and ensure that any changes or connections are an easy, attractive option. If that means going near or as close to Eldon Square as possible, so that Barbara can pop to in to Fenwicks between her visit to the metrocentre and whilst waiting for her X9 - without having to traipse across the town, so be it.
If they don't, then Barbara may just use the train instead.

Andreos1
09 Jul 2020, 11:32 am #58

(09 Jul 2020, 10:57 am)Storx Yeah I understand that but when it comes to being quicker and not having a change at the same time, could imagine more people choosing it for the limited amount of people there is. I do understand the new for competition though.

Market St could be an option, would the rest of the road network be suitable for it to get around? Genuinely don't know. 

I think there will be a lot more comes in to the train vs bus than just speed and convenience. Timetables and price will both be a factor.
As a side note, I've mentioned before that when myself and MrsC are in R&C and coming up to the town, the train is the option we tend to go for. A change at Boro with a railcard is massively cheaper than using the bus. However, depending on what time the return trip back down is, the bus can be the only option.
If its just me making the trip (one way or return), then the bus is a viable alternative. 

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that what may suit one - may not suit the other and with the ticketing arrangements GNE have, they need to ensure passengers are aware, can take advantage and ensure that any changes or connections are an easy, attractive option. If that means going near or as close to Eldon Square as possible, so that Barbara can pop to in to Fenwicks between her visit to the metrocentre and whilst waiting for her X9 - without having to traipse across the town, so be it.

Storx

09 Jul 2020, 11:56 am #59
(09 Jul 2020, 11:32 am)Andreos1 Market St could be an option, would the rest of the road network be suitable for it to get around? Genuinely don't know. 

Don't see any issues with the route if it came straight off the Central Motorway onto Market Street then either all the way down and left onto the Bigg Market and out over the High Level Bridge, the only place it could have issues is turning left onto the Bigg Market but could easily avoid that by going down Grainger Street (possibly serving there) then left onto Collingwood Street and rejoin at the cathedral.

Yeah I totally understand where your coming from there. Just checked the train price from Hexham to Middlesbrough and it's £19.60 which is a bit steep so could easily persuade some across. Personally though I'd say either Pilgrim Street or Market Street would be a better place for the X9/X10 as it's nearer other services, the Metro, Stagecoach services. Obviously both places would be ideal but could see it being quite difficult to serve Newgate Street as mentioned could have similar problems in terms of blocking anything else getting there not to mention doing a loop of Newcastle and not stopping at Eldon Square is a bit pointless.

Both have their pros and cons though I guess, depends where people are coming from I suppose on where's better.
Storx
09 Jul 2020, 11:56 am #59

(09 Jul 2020, 11:32 am)Andreos1 Market St could be an option, would the rest of the road network be suitable for it to get around? Genuinely don't know. 

Don't see any issues with the route if it came straight off the Central Motorway onto Market Street then either all the way down and left onto the Bigg Market and out over the High Level Bridge, the only place it could have issues is turning left onto the Bigg Market but could easily avoid that by going down Grainger Street (possibly serving there) then left onto Collingwood Street and rejoin at the cathedral.

Yeah I totally understand where your coming from there. Just checked the train price from Hexham to Middlesbrough and it's £19.60 which is a bit steep so could easily persuade some across. Personally though I'd say either Pilgrim Street or Market Street would be a better place for the X9/X10 as it's nearer other services, the Metro, Stagecoach services. Obviously both places would be ideal but could see it being quite difficult to serve Newgate Street as mentioned could have similar problems in terms of blocking anything else getting there not to mention doing a loop of Newcastle and not stopping at Eldon Square is a bit pointless.

Both have their pros and cons though I guess, depends where people are coming from I suppose on where's better.

JP6004

09 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm #60
(09 Jul 2020, 11:56 am)Storx Don't see any issues with the route if it came straight off the Central Motorway onto Market Street then either all the way down and left onto the Bigg Market and out over the High Level Bridge, the only place it could have issues is turning left onto the Bigg Market but could easily avoid that by going down Grainger Street (possibly serving there) then left onto Collingwood Street and rejoin at the cathedral.

Pilgrim street will be pedestrianised eventually
JP6004
09 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm #60

(09 Jul 2020, 11:56 am)Storx Don't see any issues with the route if it came straight off the Central Motorway onto Market Street then either all the way down and left onto the Bigg Market and out over the High Level Bridge, the only place it could have issues is turning left onto the Bigg Market but could easily avoid that by going down Grainger Street (possibly serving there) then left onto Collingwood Street and rejoin at the cathedral.

Pilgrim street will be pedestrianised eventually

Pages (36) Previous 1 2 3 436 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average