Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Timetable Creation

Bus Timetable Creation

Bus Timetable Creation

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

11 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm #1
Hi, 
I am a trying to create a professional looking bus timetable but need some assistance. 
My starting point was this but it looks a bit poor.
Attached Files
.xlsx
84-84A Timetable.xlsx
Size 26.01 KB / Downloads 38

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
11 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm #1

Hi, 
I am a trying to create a professional looking bus timetable but need some assistance. 

Attached Files
.xlsx
84-84A Timetable.xlsx
Size 26.01 KB / Downloads 38

tyresmoke

11 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm #2
(11 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm)ASX_Terranova Hi, 
I'm by no means an expert but having done a few in the past, I think there's too much colour and they're too strong as well.
It makes it harder for people to look at the timetable in my opinion. It's usually best to stick to softer colours, especially if printing as part of a leaflet.
I've made a few modifications to your M-F Eastbound and taken the colours away. As I say I'm not an expert and it still looks like it's lacking something. See what you think.
Attached Files
.xlsx
84-84A Timetable.xlsx
Size 24.79 KB / Downloads 29

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
11 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm #2

(11 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm)ASX_Terranova Hi, 
I'm by no means an expert but having done a few in the past, I think there's too much colour and they're too strong as well.
It makes it harder for people to look at the timetable in my opinion. It's usually best to stick to softer colours, especially if printing as part of a leaflet.
I've made a few modifications to your M-F Eastbound and taken the colours away. As I say I'm not an expert and it still looks like it's lacking something. See what you think.

Attached Files
.xlsx
84-84A Timetable.xlsx
Size 24.79 KB / Downloads 29

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

11 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm #3
(11 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm)tyresmoke I'm by no means an expert but having done a few in the past, I think there's too much colour and they're too strong as well.
Your changes seem really good, still missing a tinge of blue somewhere though I think to match the brand (CoastLink).
Plus £500,000 and few second hand vehicles would top it all off quite nicely.  Big Grin Big Grin

ASX_Terranova
11 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm #3

(11 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm)tyresmoke I'm by no means an expert but having done a few in the past, I think there's too much colour and they're too strong as well.
Your changes seem really good, still missing a tinge of blue somewhere though I think to match the brand (CoastLink).
Plus £500,000 and few second hand vehicles would top it all off quite nicely.  Big Grin Big Grin

11 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm #4
(11 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm)ASX_Terranova Your changes seem really good, still missing a tinge of blue somewhere though I think to match the brand (CoastLink).

What about something like this?

I kept the colours similar to your original to keep with the 'branding' but made it flatter

.xlsx
84-84A Timetable (1).xlsx
Size 27.26 KB / Downloads 29
streetdeckfan
11 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm #4

(11 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm)ASX_Terranova Your changes seem really good, still missing a tinge of blue somewhere though I think to match the brand (CoastLink).

What about something like this?

I kept the colours similar to your original to keep with the 'branding' but made it flatter

.xlsx
84-84A Timetable (1).xlsx
Size 27.26 KB / Downloads 29

11 Jul 2020, 6:19 pm #5
(11 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm)streetdeckfan What about something like this?

I kept the colours similar to your original to keep with the 'branding' but made it flatter]
Perfect, looks much better thanks. 
How did you do that if you dont mind me asking
I will probably also use the suggested designs for the 85/86, 87/87A, 88 & 89 Ideas as well.
Inspiration came from combinations of 500, 526, 527, 528, 531, 532, 533, 542, 543, 544, 550, 557.
Edited 11 Jul 2020, 6:26 pm by ASX_Terranova.

ASX_Terranova
11 Jul 2020, 6:19 pm #5

(11 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm)streetdeckfan What about something like this?

I kept the colours similar to your original to keep with the 'branding' but made it flatter]
Perfect, looks much better thanks. 
I will probably also use the suggested designs for the 85/86, 87/87A, 88 & 89 Ideas as well.
Inspiration came from combinations of 500, 526, 527, 528, 531, 532, 533, 542, 543, 544, 550, 557.

11 Jul 2020, 6:30 pm #6
(11 Jul 2020, 6:19 pm)ASX_Terranova Perfect, looks much better thanks. 

All I really did was add the extra columns with the 'then at these minutes' and 'until', and did a Merge and Centre then Rotate Text Up to face it sideways.
The rest was just changing colours and adding borders. I also set the column width on the times to 7 as I thought it felt a bit cramped having them close together.

As someone who makes spreadsheets for fun, it probably only took me a minute or two.
streetdeckfan
11 Jul 2020, 6:30 pm #6

(11 Jul 2020, 6:19 pm)ASX_Terranova Perfect, looks much better thanks. 

All I really did was add the extra columns with the 'then at these minutes' and 'until', and did a Merge and Centre then Rotate Text Up to face it sideways.
The rest was just changing colours and adding borders. I also set the column width on the times to 7 as I thought it felt a bit cramped having them close together.

As someone who makes spreadsheets for fun, it probably only took me a minute or two.

Storx

12 Jul 2020, 1:02 pm #7
Your using the wrong software to make timetables, you need to either use HTML/CSS or a proper design software such as Adobe Indesign etc. They won't be using Excel Smile
Storx
12 Jul 2020, 1:02 pm #7

Your using the wrong software to make timetables, you need to either use HTML/CSS or a proper design software such as Adobe Indesign etc. They won't be using Excel Smile

12 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm #8
(12 Jul 2020, 1:02 pm)Storx Your using the wrong software to make timetables, you need to either use HTML/CSS or a proper design software such as Adobe Indesign etc. They won't be using Excel Smile

Nah, I bet they're using Publisher Tongue

Seriously though, you'd be surprised how professional you can make things look using only Microsoft Office!
streetdeckfan
12 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm #8

(12 Jul 2020, 1:02 pm)Storx Your using the wrong software to make timetables, you need to either use HTML/CSS or a proper design software such as Adobe Indesign etc. They won't be using Excel Smile

Nah, I bet they're using Publisher Tongue

Seriously though, you'd be surprised how professional you can make things look using only Microsoft Office!

Storx

12 Jul 2020, 3:29 pm #9
(12 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm)streetdeckfan Nah, I bet they're using Publisher Tongue

Lot of effort tho haha [Image: tongue.png]

I got bored and done one using PHP only took like 5 minutes to do, had to convert it to HTML though as you can't load PHP without a server.
Attached Files
.htm
time.htm
Size 9.63 KB / Downloads 19
Storx
12 Jul 2020, 3:29 pm #9

(12 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm)streetdeckfan Nah, I bet they're using Publisher Tongue

Lot of effort tho haha [Image: tongue.png]

I got bored and done one using PHP only took like 5 minutes to do, had to convert it to HTML though as you can't load PHP without a server.

Attached Files
.htm
time.htm
Size 9.63 KB / Downloads 19

12 Jul 2020, 3:34 pm #10
(12 Jul 2020, 3:27 pm)Storx Lot of effort tho haha Tongue

Not really, plus I like just playing around in Excel!

I'm really tempted to just make a full on X-Lines style timetable using only Microsoft Office now
streetdeckfan
12 Jul 2020, 3:34 pm #10

(12 Jul 2020, 3:27 pm)Storx Lot of effort tho haha Tongue

Not really, plus I like just playing around in Excel!

I'm really tempted to just make a full on X-Lines style timetable using only Microsoft Office now

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average