Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Withdrawn? Still in use.

Withdrawn? Still in use.

Withdrawn? Still in use.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

forster

22 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm #1
Blyths'1401 previously reported as withdrawn to join the training fleet, was still in service today, making rather slow, smoky progress out of Blyth on service 1
forster
22 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm #1

Blyths'1401 previously reported as withdrawn to join the training fleet, was still in service today, making rather slow, smoky progress out of Blyth on service 1

peter

22 Jul 2020, 12:47 pm #2
(22 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm)forster Blyths'1401 previously reported as withdrawn to join the training fleet, was still in service today, making rather slow, smoky progress out of Blyth on service 1

It's 1403 that has been withdrawn not 1401, which is still in full service (though perhaps not for much longer)
peter
22 Jul 2020, 12:47 pm #2

(22 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm)forster Blyths'1401 previously reported as withdrawn to join the training fleet, was still in service today, making rather slow, smoky progress out of Blyth on service 1

It's 1403 that has been withdrawn not 1401, which is still in full service (though perhaps not for much longer)

Storx

22 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm #3
Didn't realise they're getting withdrawn, they're much better than what's made nowadays and surprisingly not too many rattles in them given their age. Done well for been on the 308 and Blyth Expresses pretty much non stop bar their little stunt at Jesmond and never been refurbished in their life. Pity the NE didn't get more as their much more pleasant that the Pulsar interior wise even known they're really the same bus.

Amazing that the Streetlite is pretty much their modern replacement and they're just crap in comparison then Wright wonder why they went bust.
Storx
22 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm #3

Didn't realise they're getting withdrawn, they're much better than what's made nowadays and surprisingly not too many rattles in them given their age. Done well for been on the 308 and Blyth Expresses pretty much non stop bar their little stunt at Jesmond and never been refurbished in their life. Pity the NE didn't get more as their much more pleasant that the Pulsar interior wise even known they're really the same bus.

Amazing that the Streetlite is pretty much their modern replacement and they're just crap in comparison then Wright wonder why they went bust.

James101

22 Jul 2020, 7:26 pm #4
(22 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm)Storx Didn't realise they're getting withdrawn, they're much better than what's made nowadays and surprisingly not too many rattles in them given their age. Done well for been on the 308 and Blyth Expresses pretty much non stop bar their little stunt at Jesmond and never been refurbished in their life. Pity the NE didn't get more as their much more pleasant that the Pulsar interior wise even known they're really the same bus.

Wright were selling lots of buses, it was gifting £17million and 25% ownership to the owner’s evangelical church that didn’t help.
James101
22 Jul 2020, 7:26 pm #4

(22 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm)Storx Didn't realise they're getting withdrawn, they're much better than what's made nowadays and surprisingly not too many rattles in them given their age. Done well for been on the 308 and Blyth Expresses pretty much non stop bar their little stunt at Jesmond and never been refurbished in their life. Pity the NE didn't get more as their much more pleasant that the Pulsar interior wise even known they're really the same bus.

Wright were selling lots of buses, it was gifting £17million and 25% ownership to the owner’s evangelical church that didn’t help.

Storx

22 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm #5
(22 Jul 2020, 7:26 pm)James101 Wright were selling lots of buses, it was gifting £17million and 25% ownership to the owner’s evangelical church that didn’t help.

It was sarcasm that comment, I know that wasn't the actual reason.
Storx
22 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm #5

(22 Jul 2020, 7:26 pm)James101 Wright were selling lots of buses, it was gifting £17million and 25% ownership to the owner’s evangelical church that didn’t help.

It was sarcasm that comment, I know that wasn't the actual reason.

Big O

22 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm #6

The SB200 is a reliable vehicle though, maybe not the best in the eyes of the enthusiast but it certainly isn't crap. The major knack with the DB series DAF products is the DPF filters get clogged up pretty easy and causes the vehicles to operate in a limp mode until they're plugged in.
Big O
22 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm #6

The SB200 is a reliable vehicle though, maybe not the best in the eyes of the enthusiast but it certainly isn't crap. The major knack with the DB series DAF products is the DPF filters get clogged up pretty easy and causes the vehicles to operate in a limp mode until they're plugged in.

Storx

22 Jul 2020, 9:46 pm #7
(22 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm)Big O The SB200 is a reliable vehicle though, maybe not the best in the eyes of the enthusiast but it certainly isn't crap. The major knack with the DB series DAF products is the DPF filters get clogged up pretty easy and causes the vehicles to operate in a limp mode until they're plugged in.

I wasn't faulting them ha. Was comparing them to newer stuff I like the VDL/DAF's tbh much prefer them to an Enviro or Streetdeck any day of the week.
Storx
22 Jul 2020, 9:46 pm #7

(22 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm)Big O The SB200 is a reliable vehicle though, maybe not the best in the eyes of the enthusiast but it certainly isn't crap. The major knack with the DB series DAF products is the DPF filters get clogged up pretty easy and causes the vehicles to operate in a limp mode until they're plugged in.

I wasn't faulting them ha. Was comparing them to newer stuff I like the VDL/DAF's tbh much prefer them to an Enviro or Streetdeck any day of the week.

Big O

22 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm #8
(22 Jul 2020, 9:46 pm)Storx I wasn't faulting them ha. Was comparing them to newer stuff I like the VDL/DAF's tbh much prefer them to an Enviro or Streetdeck any day of the week.

100% agree with you there mate. Never been a fan of Dennis and I think had Wright stuck with VDL as originally planned for Euro6 then they would have had a lot more success.
Big O
22 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm #8

(22 Jul 2020, 9:46 pm)Storx I wasn't faulting them ha. Was comparing them to newer stuff I like the VDL/DAF's tbh much prefer them to an Enviro or Streetdeck any day of the week.

100% agree with you there mate. Never been a fan of Dennis and I think had Wright stuck with VDL as originally planned for Euro6 then they would have had a lot more success.

Storx

22 Jul 2020, 10:21 pm #9
(22 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm)Big O 100% agree with you there mate. Never been a fan of Dennis and I think had Wright stuck with VDL as originally planned for Euro6 then they would have had a lot more success.

Yeah agreed there, it's a shame that VDL had the contract with Arrivabus though, think there would've been a lot more of them in the UK if they didn't.
Storx
22 Jul 2020, 10:21 pm #9

(22 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm)Big O 100% agree with you there mate. Never been a fan of Dennis and I think had Wright stuck with VDL as originally planned for Euro6 then they would have had a lot more success.

Yeah agreed there, it's a shame that VDL had the contract with Arrivabus though, think there would've been a lot more of them in the UK if they didn't.

mb134

22 Jul 2020, 10:26 pm #10
You can pretty much pinpoint the beginning of Wright's downfall to their pushing of integral products. First and Arriva, 2 of the main UK operators, both moved away as soon as they realised how poor a product the "Street" buses were - onto far more robust E200/400 MMCs. 

Contrast that to the late 2000s and early 2010s - I still believe that the Pulsar was/is a far better vehicle than any E300 ADL churned out. Robust VDL running gear underneath, and the Wright Eclipse Urban/Solar/Pulsar is one of the best bits of single deck bodywork ever imo. Nice and airy, as comfortable on an express service as it is on city work and actually feels like it's a well put together single decker bus - rather than an extended minibus. 

It's a shame that Volvo never partnered up with ADL to produce a B8RLE with MMC bodywork - operators up and down the country will be needing to replace ageing Citaros/L94s/Omnis/B7RLEs over the next few years and at the moment there's probably only the 6 cylinder E200 as an option for them. Wright seemed hell-bent on selling folk Streetlites rather than bodying B8RLEs - possibly another reason for their demise, some money is better than no money.
mb134
22 Jul 2020, 10:26 pm #10

You can pretty much pinpoint the beginning of Wright's downfall to their pushing of integral products. First and Arriva, 2 of the main UK operators, both moved away as soon as they realised how poor a product the "Street" buses were - onto far more robust E200/400 MMCs. 

Contrast that to the late 2000s and early 2010s - I still believe that the Pulsar was/is a far better vehicle than any E300 ADL churned out. Robust VDL running gear underneath, and the Wright Eclipse Urban/Solar/Pulsar is one of the best bits of single deck bodywork ever imo. Nice and airy, as comfortable on an express service as it is on city work and actually feels like it's a well put together single decker bus - rather than an extended minibus. 

It's a shame that Volvo never partnered up with ADL to produce a B8RLE with MMC bodywork - operators up and down the country will be needing to replace ageing Citaros/L94s/Omnis/B7RLEs over the next few years and at the moment there's probably only the 6 cylinder E200 as an option for them. Wright seemed hell-bent on selling folk Streetlites rather than bodying B8RLEs - possibly another reason for their demise, some money is better than no money.

Big O

22 Jul 2020, 10:39 pm #11
(22 Jul 2020, 10:26 pm)mb134 You can pretty much pinpoint the beginning of Wright's downfall to their pushing of integral products. First and Arriva, 2 of the main UK operators, both moved away as soon as they realised how poor a product the "Street" buses were - onto far more robust E200/400 MMCs. 

That’s the thing, Wright should have never left VDL. They were the a good supplier and the DB series are some very good buses. Personally I think the Streetdecks got better over time but it’s like they had to start all over again whereas ADL have always built Chassis so they lost ground. In reality Wright should be streets ahead of ADL and I believe they will gain ground again. Latterly First and Arriva went back to the Streetdecks so its not doom and gloom. But I don’t think the E400 is robust at all. It’s a posh toilet in my opinion and that’s huge promo about being the first rattleproof Bus seems to be long out of the window. ADL are very good at promoting their products but they’re not nothing special and that’s just the truth.
Big O
22 Jul 2020, 10:39 pm #11

(22 Jul 2020, 10:26 pm)mb134 You can pretty much pinpoint the beginning of Wright's downfall to their pushing of integral products. First and Arriva, 2 of the main UK operators, both moved away as soon as they realised how poor a product the "Street" buses were - onto far more robust E200/400 MMCs. 

That’s the thing, Wright should have never left VDL. They were the a good supplier and the DB series are some very good buses. Personally I think the Streetdecks got better over time but it’s like they had to start all over again whereas ADL have always built Chassis so they lost ground. In reality Wright should be streets ahead of ADL and I believe they will gain ground again. Latterly First and Arriva went back to the Streetdecks so its not doom and gloom. But I don’t think the E400 is robust at all. It’s a posh toilet in my opinion and that’s huge promo about being the first rattleproof Bus seems to be long out of the window. ADL are very good at promoting their products but they’re not nothing special and that’s just the truth.

Andreos1

17 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm #12
I passed (think it was an Alpha) lowloader on the A19 at Doxford Interchange this evening.
Heading north, it had two Darts on the back.
One was a Vxxx DNL. Didn't see the other. 
Looked like they'd both been stripped of a number of panels before they set off.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm #12

I passed (think it was an Alpha) lowloader on the A19 at Doxford Interchange this evening.
Looked like they'd both been stripped of a number of panels before they set off.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

tyresmoke

18 Aug 2020, 8:10 am #13
(17 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm)Andreos1 I passed (think it was an Alpha) lowloader on the A19 at Doxford Interchange this evening.
1736/8/9 all removed from Redcar yesterday by Alpha, after being sat withdrawn for 4-5 years?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
18 Aug 2020, 8:10 am #13

(17 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm)Andreos1 I passed (think it was an Alpha) lowloader on the A19 at Doxford Interchange this evening.
1736/8/9 all removed from Redcar yesterday by Alpha, after being sat withdrawn for 4-5 years?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

29 Aug 2020, 9:41 am #14
1769 which was parked in the graveyard section of Ashington for a fair while has amazingly been repaired & returned to service.

Check out my Flickr - www.flickr.com/cobalt512
Cobalt271
29 Aug 2020, 9:41 am #14

1769 which was parked in the graveyard section of Ashington for a fair while has amazingly been repaired & returned to service.

Check out my Flickr - www.flickr.com/cobalt512

29 Aug 2020, 10:19 am #15
(29 Aug 2020, 9:41 am)Cobalt271 1769 which was parked in the graveyard section of Ashington for a fair while has amazingly been repaired & returned to service.

[Image: 50278829803_25ab93e13e.jpg]
Arriva Northumbria: 1769 | NK05 GWJ by omnicity4659, on Flickr
omnicity4659
29 Aug 2020, 10:19 am #15

(29 Aug 2020, 9:41 am)Cobalt271 1769 which was parked in the graveyard section of Ashington for a fair while has amazingly been repaired & returned to service.

[Image: 50278829803_25ab93e13e.jpg]
Arriva Northumbria: 1769 | NK05 GWJ by omnicity4659, on Flickr

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average