Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Major changes to Gateshead unveiled to give people more space to walk and cycle

Major changes to Gateshead unveiled to give people more space to walk and cycle

Major changes to Gateshead unveiled to give people more space to walk and cycle

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

29 Jul 2020, 12:06 am #21
Well what an absolute s$%t show this is turning out to be. I went over to Newcastle late on last night and was sat in a queue of traffic along Askew Road. At least 6 cars in front of us, and probably more behind.

Can't see the logic in shutting the bank back up to Gateshead from the High Level. Buses will be sat at that give way junction for ages while lines of traffic will be streaming up Prince Consort Road from the western end of Askew Road.

Whoever has put these changes together deserves a colonoscopy with a cattle prod.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
29 Jul 2020, 12:06 am #21

Well what an absolute s$%t show this is turning out to be. I went over to Newcastle late on last night and was sat in a queue of traffic along Askew Road. At least 6 cars in front of us, and probably more behind.

Can't see the logic in shutting the bank back up to Gateshead from the High Level. Buses will be sat at that give way junction for ages while lines of traffic will be streaming up Prince Consort Road from the western end of Askew Road.

Whoever has put these changes together deserves a colonoscopy with a cattle prod.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Andreos1

29 Jul 2020, 9:23 am #22
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-53574236

Well that didn't last long!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Jul 2020, 9:23 am #22

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-53574236

Well that didn't last long!

05 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm #23
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...s-18709616

'Ridiculous' - Your verdict on the controversial traffic changes in Gateshead
What our readers thought of the new Gateshead traffic measures as the council creates more space for walking and cycling in the town

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
05 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm #23

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...s-18709616

What our readers thought of the new Gateshead traffic measures as the council creates more space for walking and cycling in the town

ne14ne1

05 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm #24
(05 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...s-18709616

Saw a response to the Chronicle earlier saying Why is the paper asking people who can barely tie their shoe laces how’d they’d run a major logistical exercise. Big Grin
ne14ne1
05 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm #24

(05 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...s-18709616

Saw a response to the Chronicle earlier saying Why is the paper asking people who can barely tie their shoe laces how’d they’d run a major logistical exercise. Big Grin

Andreos1

05 Aug 2020, 8:42 pm #25

As experimental as some GNE 'experimental' services.
If they're wanting to sort air quality, I'd hazard a guess that getting rid of all those traffic lights and white paint would help. 
The filtering in to one lane and subsequent stop/start of traffic as lanes merge/traffic lights appear can't help at all.

Andreos1
05 Aug 2020, 8:42 pm #25

As experimental as some GNE 'experimental' services.
If they're wanting to sort air quality, I'd hazard a guess that getting rid of all those traffic lights and white paint would help. 
The filtering in to one lane and subsequent stop/start of traffic as lanes merge/traffic lights appear can't help at all.

BusLoverMum

05 Aug 2020, 11:04 pm #26
(22 Jul 2020, 3:25 pm)Andreos1 I've copied/pasted some of the key points and added them below.
  • The closure of the northbound section of the Gateshead flyover to make it cycle-only

• The creation of new cycle routes in the Oakwellgate area and on the approaches to the Tyne Bridge

• The removal of all traffic except for buses, cyclists and pedestrians from a section of Askew Road where it joins the Tyne Bridge

• The elimination of buses and other traffic from the historic Bridges Quarter except for access and deliveries.
Unfortunately, I can only see the problem of pollution shifting elsewhere.
I can't get my head around the first point at all.
Quite. Nobody cycles in gateshead! It's uphill both ways!
BusLoverMum
05 Aug 2020, 11:04 pm #26

(22 Jul 2020, 3:25 pm)Andreos1 I've copied/pasted some of the key points and added them below.
  • The closure of the northbound section of the Gateshead flyover to make it cycle-only

• The creation of new cycle routes in the Oakwellgate area and on the approaches to the Tyne Bridge

• The removal of all traffic except for buses, cyclists and pedestrians from a section of Askew Road where it joins the Tyne Bridge

• The elimination of buses and other traffic from the historic Bridges Quarter except for access and deliveries.
Unfortunately, I can only see the problem of pollution shifting elsewhere.
I can't get my head around the first point at all.
Quite. Nobody cycles in gateshead! It's uphill both ways!

Charles41

06 Aug 2020, 5:28 am #27
Jackson Street has now been closed to traffic. There's a cycle lane down the middle. Just wondering if the council has thought how deliveries will be made to the shops, bars and post office.

What a mess.

Charles
Charles41
06 Aug 2020, 5:28 am #27

Jackson Street has now been closed to traffic. There's a cycle lane down the middle. Just wondering if the council has thought how deliveries will be made to the shops, bars and post office.

What a mess.

Charles

06 Aug 2020, 8:14 am #28
(05 Aug 2020, 11:04 pm)BusLoverMum Quite. Nobody cycles in gateshead! It's uphill both ways!

If I lived up here permanently again, I probably wouldn't mind cycling. My issue is the cars, people round here just can't drive, especially round the Metrocentre. I mean, I could ride along the quayside, but then I'd have to tackle the bank up to Gateshead, and that ain't gonna happen!
Maybe if they put bike racks on the Quaylink services I'd think about it, but until then I'll continue to be a lazy sod and just use the bus!
streetdeckfan
06 Aug 2020, 8:14 am #28

(05 Aug 2020, 11:04 pm)BusLoverMum Quite. Nobody cycles in gateshead! It's uphill both ways!

If I lived up here permanently again, I probably wouldn't mind cycling. My issue is the cars, people round here just can't drive, especially round the Metrocentre. I mean, I could ride along the quayside, but then I'd have to tackle the bank up to Gateshead, and that ain't gonna happen!
Maybe if they put bike racks on the Quaylink services I'd think about it, but until then I'll continue to be a lazy sod and just use the bus!

idiot

06 Aug 2020, 9:39 am #29
Keep trying the hills!
idiot
06 Aug 2020, 9:39 am #29

Keep trying the hills!

06 Aug 2020, 10:58 am #30
(06 Aug 2020, 9:39 am)idiot Keep trying the hills!
You're alright!
I'm the sort of person that gets the bus from Gateshead High Street to Gateshead Interchange because I can't be arsed to walk, I don't think tackling hills will be on the cards any time soon. 
I enjoy cycling, until there's even the smallest incline, then I'm out. Having said that, once I finally finish converting one of my bikes to an E-bike, I might give it a go Tongue
streetdeckfan
06 Aug 2020, 10:58 am #30

(06 Aug 2020, 9:39 am)idiot Keep trying the hills!
You're alright!
I'm the sort of person that gets the bus from Gateshead High Street to Gateshead Interchange because I can't be arsed to walk, I don't think tackling hills will be on the cards any time soon. 
I enjoy cycling, until there's even the smallest incline, then I'm out. Having said that, once I finally finish converting one of my bikes to an E-bike, I might give it a go Tongue

idiot

06 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm #31
Haha... Well they do get easier I promise!
idiot
06 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm #31

Haha... Well they do get easier I promise!

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average