Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21
22 Jan 2024, 10:34 pm #401
(22 Jan 2024, 7:20 pm)streetdeckfan While I was in the Arnison Centre today, I spotted the U11DD on it's way to Durham, so I cancelled my plans for the rest of the day (sitting in Spoons) and waited for it to come back on it's way north to give it a try.

The ride is a bit fidgety, but over the bigger bumps is rather smooth. For example, over the bump pulling into the 21 stand at CLS there's less of a jolt than in the Streetdecks or B5s, and on the speed bumps in Low Fell it didn't feel like my back was about to break. I feel like the 67 plate Streetdeck I had on my journey back was a smoother ride overall, but it was close. While I obviously haven't tried them back to back, from memory alone a 20 plate Streetdeck or E400 is better.

The cabin feels spacious and bright, the ambient lighting is quite nice although I wouldn't have picked orange. There was weird LED light under the windscreen upstairs pointing straight back, quite blinding when you're looking forward! 

Overall, it looks very ADL inside (design wise and with the shiny plastics), but feels much better built. Although there seemed to be a fair bit of flex in the wall cladding when I pushed against it with my knee.

Being electric, it is quiet, but there is a bit of wind noise coming from the windows upstairs when they're open.

Interestingly, it lacks a 'stopping' light upstairs, and the bell sounds like a door bell rather than the usual ding. I did quite like the light around the button that lights up when you push it, it's a nice touch.

The seats on the demo are alright, more comfortable than the Enviros despite less padding (probably better for it since they're firmer), and the hospital spec vinyl is much better than the arse sweat absorbing moquette GNE moved to with the last batch of orders. 

I travelled on it today to try it out. Went from Newcastle --> Durham. By god it takes an age (or at least feels like it going in a straight line mostly). Besides the point I agree with some of your points but we have higher standards and expectations as enthusiasts. Juxtaposed to the elderly folk in Birtley and students of Durham who seemed to love the bus going "ooo it's electric", "I love the bell sound", note this is the normal Yutong sound exactly the same as the Voltras as well as "this is a really cool bus which is fast too".
logidoodah
22 Jan 2024, 10:34 pm #401

(22 Jan 2024, 7:20 pm)streetdeckfan While I was in the Arnison Centre today, I spotted the U11DD on it's way to Durham, so I cancelled my plans for the rest of the day (sitting in Spoons) and waited for it to come back on it's way north to give it a try.

The ride is a bit fidgety, but over the bigger bumps is rather smooth. For example, over the bump pulling into the 21 stand at CLS there's less of a jolt than in the Streetdecks or B5s, and on the speed bumps in Low Fell it didn't feel like my back was about to break. I feel like the 67 plate Streetdeck I had on my journey back was a smoother ride overall, but it was close. While I obviously haven't tried them back to back, from memory alone a 20 plate Streetdeck or E400 is better.

The cabin feels spacious and bright, the ambient lighting is quite nice although I wouldn't have picked orange. There was weird LED light under the windscreen upstairs pointing straight back, quite blinding when you're looking forward! 

Overall, it looks very ADL inside (design wise and with the shiny plastics), but feels much better built. Although there seemed to be a fair bit of flex in the wall cladding when I pushed against it with my knee.

Being electric, it is quiet, but there is a bit of wind noise coming from the windows upstairs when they're open.

Interestingly, it lacks a 'stopping' light upstairs, and the bell sounds like a door bell rather than the usual ding. I did quite like the light around the button that lights up when you push it, it's a nice touch.

The seats on the demo are alright, more comfortable than the Enviros despite less padding (probably better for it since they're firmer), and the hospital spec vinyl is much better than the arse sweat absorbing moquette GNE moved to with the last batch of orders. 

I travelled on it today to try it out. Went from Newcastle --> Durham. By god it takes an age (or at least feels like it going in a straight line mostly). Besides the point I agree with some of your points but we have higher standards and expectations as enthusiasts. Juxtaposed to the elderly folk in Birtley and students of Durham who seemed to love the bus going "ooo it's electric", "I love the bell sound", note this is the normal Yutong sound exactly the same as the Voltras as well as "this is a really cool bus which is fast too".

08 Feb 2024, 11:31 am #402
Don't know if anyone else noticed (well probably those within the company have).

The Yutong U11DD Demo (which has now returned to Pelican) managed to operate in service for 23 days in a row from Tuesday 16th Jan to Tuesday 7th Feb.

Even for a demo bus that is remarkable reliability, and I don't think standard buses achieve that level of reliability without having a day off or two.
Rapidsnap
08 Feb 2024, 11:31 am #402

Don't know if anyone else noticed (well probably those within the company have).

The Yutong U11DD Demo (which has now returned to Pelican) managed to operate in service for 23 days in a row from Tuesday 16th Jan to Tuesday 7th Feb.

Even for a demo bus that is remarkable reliability, and I don't think standard buses achieve that level of reliability without having a day off or two.

Ambassador

08 Feb 2024, 10:32 pm #403
(08 Feb 2024, 11:31 am)Rapidsnap Don't know if anyone else noticed (well probably those within the company have).

That is mightily impressive. Whilst I didn’t find it particularly comfortable legroom wise, the ride was nice and reliability above comfort for me

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Feb 2024, 10:32 pm #403

(08 Feb 2024, 11:31 am)Rapidsnap Don't know if anyone else noticed (well probably those within the company have).

That is mightily impressive. Whilst I didn’t find it particularly comfortable legroom wise, the ride was nice and reliability above comfort for me

Storx

09 Feb 2024, 10:12 am #404

Don't think it's too unexpected, most the Geminis have similar lengths at Blyth, just flicking through them quickly on Bus times which is generally reliable for buses actually been on the road. 

One of them has only had 1 day off since the 8th December. Quite impressive considering their age, guess it all comes down to who looks after them, ie. not Redcar.
Storx
09 Feb 2024, 10:12 am #404

Don't think it's too unexpected, most the Geminis have similar lengths at Blyth, just flicking through them quickly on Bus times which is generally reliable for buses actually been on the road. 

One of them has only had 1 day off since the 8th December. Quite impressive considering their age, guess it all comes down to who looks after them, ie. not Redcar.

ne14ne1

22 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm #405
Do we know how long it will be until the Zebra 2 funded EVs arrive - is it like likely within a year, 2 years, more?
Edited 22 Mar 2024, 7:49 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
22 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm #405

Do we know how long it will be until the Zebra 2 funded EVs arrive - is it like likely within a year, 2 years, more?

busmanT

22 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm #406
(22 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm)ne14ne1 Do we know how long it will be until the Zebra 2 funded EVs arrive - it’s like likely within a year, 2 years, more?

I understand that the electric bus manufacturers have bulging order books and are quoting over 12 months for delivery of buses ordered now.
The biggest delay however is getting the required HV electric supply to depots, in some case operators are being told it will take 10 years to provide an electric supply of the voltage required.
busmanT
22 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm #406

(22 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm)ne14ne1 Do we know how long it will be until the Zebra 2 funded EVs arrive - it’s like likely within a year, 2 years, more?

I understand that the electric bus manufacturers have bulging order books and are quoting over 12 months for delivery of buses ordered now.
The biggest delay however is getting the required HV electric supply to depots, in some case operators are being told it will take 10 years to provide an electric supply of the voltage required.

ne14ne1

22 Mar 2024, 7:51 pm #407
(22 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm)busmanT I understand that the electric bus manufacturers have bulging order books and are quoting over 12 months for delivery of buses ordered now.

That’s what I feared.

Maybe we could have some ex London hybrids in the meantime.
Edited 22 Mar 2024, 7:52 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
22 Mar 2024, 7:51 pm #407

(22 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm)busmanT I understand that the electric bus manufacturers have bulging order books and are quoting over 12 months for delivery of buses ordered now.

That’s what I feared.

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Mar 2024, 9:45 pm #408
(22 Mar 2024, 7:51 pm)ne14ne1 That’s what I feared.

More chance of Andreos1 taking a job at Go North East to work alongside his mate Daniel Laird than operators taking on ex-London Hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
22 Mar 2024, 9:45 pm #408

(22 Mar 2024, 7:51 pm)ne14ne1 That’s what I feared.

More chance of Andreos1 taking a job at Go North East to work alongside his mate Daniel Laird than operators taking on ex-London Hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambassador

22 Mar 2024, 10:43 pm #409
So basically there’s more chance of Riverside fixing the Angel Streetdecks in the next 5 years than there is of EVs appearing on the angel
Ambassador
22 Mar 2024, 10:43 pm #409

So basically there’s more chance of Riverside fixing the Angel Streetdecks in the next 5 years than there is of EVs appearing on the angel

busmanT

23 Mar 2024, 10:19 pm #410
(22 Mar 2024, 10:43 pm)Ambassador So basically there’s more chance of Riverside fixing the Angel Streetdecks in the next 5 years than there is of EVs appearing on the angel

Late 2025/early 2026 at the earliest would be my guess.
By which time planning for the new franchised “Angel Network” will be well advanced.  
https://northeastbylines.co.uk/kim-mcgui...-of-buses/
busmanT
23 Mar 2024, 10:19 pm #410

(22 Mar 2024, 10:43 pm)Ambassador So basically there’s more chance of Riverside fixing the Angel Streetdecks in the next 5 years than there is of EVs appearing on the angel

Late 2025/early 2026 at the earliest would be my guess.
By which time planning for the new franchised “Angel Network” will be well advanced.  

Unber43

23 Mar 2024, 10:32 pm #411
What an awful name.
Unber43
23 Mar 2024, 10:32 pm #411

What an awful name.

Ambassador

23 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm #412
(23 Mar 2024, 10:19 pm)busmanT Late 2025/early 2026 at the earliest would be my guess.

Dear god, Gannon is attached 

As much as I mock our hard working gne employees on here, having seen council and nexus use of funding.

I’d much rather some professionals had a run at it !

Ambassador
23 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm #412

(23 Mar 2024, 10:19 pm)busmanT Late 2025/early 2026 at the earliest would be my guess.

Dear god, Gannon is attached 

As much as I mock our hard working gne employees on here, having seen council and nexus use of funding.

I’d much rather some professionals had a run at it !

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average