Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (21) Previous 1 2 3 421 Next
08 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm #41
(08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm)Storx Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route.

The allocations is a fair reason though mind and I do understand why they've done it to improve passengers but long term it'll become worthless like Max at Blyth imo.

Back to the original discussion though and talking of local brands I hope the Saltwell Park brand does stay in some form as it's another of the few brands that has some local connection rather than your generic and pointless ones like Fab 56, Citylink, The Loop etc.
Apart from 'Connections 4' which is one of the cringiest brand names left (before branding was stepped up around 2015), everything else has got a decent brand name now imo. Some of them might not be very local but they don't have shambolic names. The Loop should make a comeback as I believe it was one of the first branded routes. It's also accurate as well, it really is a loop!  Big Grin 

I think the 49s should be renamed Blaydon Racers, local branding + a decent brand. Any idea why it was taken away from the 49s.
Adtrainsam
08 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm #41

(08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm)Storx Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route.

The allocations is a fair reason though mind and I do understand why they've done it to improve passengers but long term it'll become worthless like Max at Blyth imo.

Back to the original discussion though and talking of local brands I hope the Saltwell Park brand does stay in some form as it's another of the few brands that has some local connection rather than your generic and pointless ones like Fab 56, Citylink, The Loop etc.
Apart from 'Connections 4' which is one of the cringiest brand names left (before branding was stepped up around 2015), everything else has got a decent brand name now imo. Some of them might not be very local but they don't have shambolic names. The Loop should make a comeback as I believe it was one of the first branded routes. It's also accurate as well, it really is a loop!  Big Grin 

I think the 49s should be renamed Blaydon Racers, local branding + a decent brand. Any idea why it was taken away from the 49s.

Ds1197

08 Sep 2020, 7:15 pm #42
(08 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm)Adtrainsam Apart from 'Connections 4' which is one of the cringiest brand names left (before branding was stepped up around 2015), everything else has got a decent brand name now imo. Some of them might not be very local but they don't have shambolic names. The Loop should make a comeback as I believe it was one of the first branded routes. It's also accurate as well, it really is a loop!  Big Grin 

Because it didn't follow the route of blaydon races closely the 12/12A do
Ds1197
08 Sep 2020, 7:15 pm #42

(08 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm)Adtrainsam Apart from 'Connections 4' which is one of the cringiest brand names left (before branding was stepped up around 2015), everything else has got a decent brand name now imo. Some of them might not be very local but they don't have shambolic names. The Loop should make a comeback as I believe it was one of the first branded routes. It's also accurate as well, it really is a loop!  Big Grin 

Because it didn't follow the route of blaydon races closely the 12/12A do

citaro5284

08 Sep 2020, 7:44 pm #43
(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.
X-lines stands out when there's only a few buses, but the issue with making things express purely for the branding, like they did with the Red Kites, is that everything is going to look the same.
There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand. Sure, they've got that little stripe of colour on the front, but when you're in a rush you won't see it.
Plus, after a week or two, people just aren't going to take notice anymore, whereas when it's just the X21 and X30, you still see people point at them after a year
I think you will find something called a destination display on front, both sides and rear to help  Tongue
citaro5284
08 Sep 2020, 7:44 pm #43

(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.
X-lines stands out when there's only a few buses, but the issue with making things express purely for the branding, like they did with the Red Kites, is that everything is going to look the same.
There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand. Sure, they've got that little stripe of colour on the front, but when you're in a rush you won't see it.
Plus, after a week or two, people just aren't going to take notice anymore, whereas when it's just the X21 and X30, you still see people point at them after a year
I think you will find something called a destination display on front, both sides and rear to help  Tongue

08 Sep 2020, 7:48 pm #44
(08 Sep 2020, 7:44 pm)citaro5284 I think you will find something called a destination display on front, both sides and rear to help  Tongue

Can't remember what Eldon Square is like, but I know at Durham the destination displays are actually too high to see unless you're literally standing at the window, and because of the angle they're parked at, you can't really see the side display either.
I've lost count of the times I've got the Newcastle X21 when I've meant to get the Bishop one when they're at the wrong stand (Another reason why they should still be at opposite ends of the station!)
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 7:48 pm #44

(08 Sep 2020, 7:44 pm)citaro5284 I think you will find something called a destination display on front, both sides and rear to help  Tongue

Can't remember what Eldon Square is like, but I know at Durham the destination displays are actually too high to see unless you're literally standing at the window, and because of the angle they're parked at, you can't really see the side display either.
I've lost count of the times I've got the Newcastle X21 when I've meant to get the Bishop one when they're at the wrong stand (Another reason why they should still be at opposite ends of the station!)

mb134

08 Sep 2020, 7:53 pm #45
(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand.

Christ, I wonder how operators with a standard corporate livery ever get any punters...
mb134
08 Sep 2020, 7:53 pm #45

(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand.

Christ, I wonder how operators with a standard corporate livery ever get any punters...

citaro5284

08 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm #46
(08 Sep 2020, 7:48 pm)streetdeckfan Can't remember what Eldon Square is like, but I know at Durham the destination displays are actually too high to see unless you're literally standing at the window, and because of the angle they're parked at, you can't really see the side display either.
Some how, I dont think that has anything to do with the buses.....more the person getting on  Angel
citaro5284
08 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm #46

(08 Sep 2020, 7:48 pm)streetdeckfan Can't remember what Eldon Square is like, but I know at Durham the destination displays are actually too high to see unless you're literally standing at the window, and because of the angle they're parked at, you can't really see the side display either.
Some how, I dont think that has anything to do with the buses.....more the person getting on  Angel

08 Sep 2020, 8:00 pm #47
(08 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm)citaro5284 Some how, I dont think that has anything to do with the buses.....more the person getting on  Angel

To be fair, one of the times the driver had the wrong destination on! I've now got into the habit of asking the driver if it is the one that goes to Bishop!
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 8:00 pm #47

(08 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm)citaro5284 Some how, I dont think that has anything to do with the buses.....more the person getting on  Angel

To be fair, one of the times the driver had the wrong destination on! I've now got into the habit of asking the driver if it is the one that goes to Bishop!

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm #48
(08 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm)Andreos1 I'm surprised more hasn't been done to speed up the X1. It can be painful at times due to the stop/start nature of the southern portion of the route.
In addition to speeding up journies so it was comparible with the X5 of yore, it could have also assisted with marketing and the subsequent reduction in frequency/PVR.

Must say I don't know the route too well tbh, least you've got the quicker North section though it's better than nothing.

Oh I don't know about that:
'Tyne Valley Ten' with it's tacky branding which looks like some form of carnival.
'Little Coasters' which are irrelevant to the coast and the Coaster bus route.
'Fab 56' with it's flowers.
'Indigo' which is as corporate as you can get (look's alright though).

When talking about local brands I'd love to see something more on the N. East pit heritage maybe on the Peterlee locals. Blaydon Racers was always a good brand but not sure the 12/12A really needs to be branded without going overboard.

Creativewise the Pink Panther in Durham had to be the best brand though especially if you get the reason behind it even known it's corny as hell haha.

You'd be buggared if you needed an Arriva bus in Durham especially with their allocations Tongue
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm #48

(08 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm)Andreos1 I'm surprised more hasn't been done to speed up the X1. It can be painful at times due to the stop/start nature of the southern portion of the route.
In addition to speeding up journies so it was comparible with the X5 of yore, it could have also assisted with marketing and the subsequent reduction in frequency/PVR.

Must say I don't know the route too well tbh, least you've got the quicker North section though it's better than nothing.

Oh I don't know about that:
'Tyne Valley Ten' with it's tacky branding which looks like some form of carnival.

When talking about local brands I'd love to see something more on the N. East pit heritage maybe on the Peterlee locals. Blaydon Racers was always a good brand but not sure the 12/12A really needs to be branded without going overboard.

Creativewise the Pink Panther in Durham had to be the best brand though especially if you get the reason behind it even known it's corny as hell haha.

You'd be buggared if you needed an Arriva bus in Durham especially with their allocations Tongue

08 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm #49
(08 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm)Storx Oh I don't know about that:

I personally loathe the Tyne Valley Ten branding, it looks like a 5 year old designed it. 
I really like the Little Coasters branding, although like you say it has sod all to do with the coast!
The less said about the Fab 56 the better, whoever thought that idea was good really needs their eyes sorted.
I do actually quite like Indigo, at least it stands out.

I know I've said it before, my favourite brand was The Castles Express, the name flows quite well and it is really quite relevant to the route, I will admit the livery was quite bland, but I wish they'd kept the name.

I wonder what the new StreetDecks would be like at Durham, the route number is considerably higher than on the old StreetDecks with it having the double depth displays so it really would be impossible to see!
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm #49

(08 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm)Storx Oh I don't know about that:

I personally loathe the Tyne Valley Ten branding, it looks like a 5 year old designed it. 
I really like the Little Coasters branding, although like you say it has sod all to do with the coast!
The less said about the Fab 56 the better, whoever thought that idea was good really needs their eyes sorted.

I know I've said it before, my favourite brand was The Castles Express, the name flows quite well and it is really quite relevant to the route, I will admit the livery was quite bland, but I wish they'd kept the name.

I wonder what the new StreetDecks would be like at Durham, the route number is considerably higher than on the old StreetDecks with it having the double depth displays so it really would be impossible to see!

mb134

08 Sep 2020, 8:33 pm #50
(08 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm)streetdeckfan I personally loathe the Tyne Valley Ten branding, it looks like a 5 year old designed it. 

TVT always puzzled me, the "Ten" was a strong brand imo - and the colours used made it look premium, moving to TVT eradicated that somewhat. Thinking back there have been some truly awful brands over the years. 

I'm an advocate of having brands where necessary, such as on flagship routes or express services, then a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding elsewhere - otherwise it just gets messy. GNE seem to be heading that way at the moment - the 2019 corporate livery is smart, then X-Lines groups together the express routes well (though I think the X9/X10 should have its own brand), and money makers like the 21 having its own brand.
mb134
08 Sep 2020, 8:33 pm #50

(08 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm)streetdeckfan I personally loathe the Tyne Valley Ten branding, it looks like a 5 year old designed it. 

TVT always puzzled me, the "Ten" was a strong brand imo - and the colours used made it look premium, moving to TVT eradicated that somewhat. Thinking back there have been some truly awful brands over the years. 

I'm an advocate of having brands where necessary, such as on flagship routes or express services, then a strong corporate livery with minimal route branding elsewhere - otherwise it just gets messy. GNE seem to be heading that way at the moment - the 2019 corporate livery is smart, then X-Lines groups together the express routes well (though I think the X9/X10 should have its own brand), and money makers like the 21 having its own brand.

08 Sep 2020, 8:40 pm #51
(08 Sep 2020, 8:33 pm)mb134 TVT always puzzled me, the "Ten" was a strong brand imo - and the colours used made it look premium, moving to TVT eradicated that somewhat. Thinking back there have been some truly awful brands over the years. 

Exactly, I used to love the 'TEN' branding, especially on the B9s. I remember coming out of school when they first got them and thinking 'ooh, they look fancy' as it drove past. 

I like the look of X-Lines on the X9/X10 coaches, but the front looks absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the back of Stagecoach's new livery!
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 8:40 pm #51

(08 Sep 2020, 8:33 pm)mb134 TVT always puzzled me, the "Ten" was a strong brand imo - and the colours used made it look premium, moving to TVT eradicated that somewhat. Thinking back there have been some truly awful brands over the years. 

Exactly, I used to love the 'TEN' branding, especially on the B9s. I remember coming out of school when they first got them and thinking 'ooh, they look fancy' as it drove past. 

I like the look of X-Lines on the X9/X10 coaches, but the front looks absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the back of Stagecoach's new livery!

mb134

08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm #52
(08 Sep 2020, 8:40 pm)streetdeckfan I like the look of X-Lines on the X9/X10 coaches, but the front looks absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the back of Stagecoach's new livery!

Oh don't get me wrong, they look the part. I just think that with premium coaches, on that sort of route, a bespoke brand would be even better - you need to set that apart from the standard express services.
mb134
08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm #52

(08 Sep 2020, 8:40 pm)streetdeckfan I like the look of X-Lines on the X9/X10 coaches, but the front looks absolutely horrendous, probably worse than the back of Stagecoach's new livery!

Oh don't get me wrong, they look the part. I just think that with premium coaches, on that sort of route, a bespoke brand would be even better - you need to set that apart from the standard express services.

S813 FVK

08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm #53

Until they began to look quite tatty when panels were replaced due to the silver being difficult to colour-match.

Tyne Valley Ten actually focuses on the route somewhat in design as well as in the name. It's the better brand imo.
S813 FVK
08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm #53

Until they began to look quite tatty when panels were replaced due to the silver being difficult to colour-match.

Tyne Valley Ten actually focuses on the route somewhat in design as well as in the name. It's the better brand imo.

Ds1197

08 Sep 2020, 8:49 pm #54
Which brands do you think will go in the near future

I like the X66 but it needs a refresh

Connects4 will probably go I think it replaced metrolink

10/A/B will probably get a rebrand when it's buses go for refurbishment

Crusader will probably stay because it has links to the local area

Fab 56 is awful should be branded service though

City-link will go and I kinda of like it but it just links different areas of Gateshead to Newcastle
Ds1197
08 Sep 2020, 8:49 pm #54

Which brands do you think will go in the near future

I like the X66 but it needs a refresh

Connects4 will probably go I think it replaced metrolink

10/A/B will probably get a rebrand when it's buses go for refurbishment

Crusader will probably stay because it has links to the local area

Fab 56 is awful should be branded service though

City-link will go and I kinda of like it but it just links different areas of Gateshead to Newcastle

08 Sep 2020, 8:51 pm #55
(08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm)S813 FVK Until they began to look quite tatty when panels were replaced due to the silver being difficult to colour-match.

I agree that the name is probably better, but the design... It's absolutely awful. 

When I say it looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, I'm probably being a bit generous. There's far too much going on in the bottom half, the bunting looks out of place at the top, the banners look like an afterthought because they needed somewhere to put the text (and even then, it isn't actually lined up in the centre of the banner!)
It just looks tacky. I honestly don't think I have anything positive to say about it.

It's one brand that I definitely could be improved miles by changing it to the new style.
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 8:51 pm #55

(08 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm)S813 FVK Until they began to look quite tatty when panels were replaced due to the silver being difficult to colour-match.

I agree that the name is probably better, but the design... It's absolutely awful. 

When I say it looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, I'm probably being a bit generous. There's far too much going on in the bottom half, the bunting looks out of place at the top, the banners look like an afterthought because they needed somewhere to put the text (and even then, it isn't actually lined up in the centre of the banner!)
It just looks tacky. I honestly don't think I have anything positive to say about it.

It's one brand that I definitely could be improved miles by changing it to the new style.

08 Sep 2020, 9:24 pm #56
(08 Sep 2020, 7:11 pm)streetdeckfan Perhaps they'll brand it as E-Lines!

Gateshead Electrics
Tyneside Electrics

Or if the 97 got electrics aswell green arrow would make sense.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
08 Sep 2020, 9:24 pm #56

(08 Sep 2020, 7:11 pm)streetdeckfan Perhaps they'll brand it as E-Lines!

Gateshead Electrics
Tyneside Electrics

Or if the 97 got electrics aswell green arrow would make sense.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

ne14ne1

11 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm #57
MG has been to Yutong to finalise the UK finished items of the electric vehicles.
https://twitter.com/martijngne/status/13...53730?s=21
ne14ne1
11 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm #57

MG has been to Yutong to finalise the UK finished items of the electric vehicles.

Michael

11 Sep 2020, 6:33 pm #58
(11 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm)ne14ne1 MG has been to Yutong to finalise the UK finished items of the electric vehicles.

Those look quite smart, they'll stand out in Leeds

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Sep 2020, 6:33 pm #58

(11 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm)ne14ne1 MG has been to Yutong to finalise the UK finished items of the electric vehicles.

Those look quite smart, they'll stand out in Leeds

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

11 Sep 2020, 9:07 pm #59
(11 Sep 2020, 6:33 pm)Michael Those look quite smart, they'll stand out in Leeds

I wonder who designed the livery for those, it looks very familiar!
streetdeckfan
11 Sep 2020, 9:07 pm #59

(11 Sep 2020, 6:33 pm)Michael Those look quite smart, they'll stand out in Leeds

I wonder who designed the livery for those, it looks very familiar!

Michael

12 Sep 2020, 9:32 am #60
The Electric buses should be arriving next weekend from China, as they left China on the 19th August.

Which docks will they arrive at?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Sep 2020, 9:32 am #60

The Electric buses should be arriving next weekend from China, as they left China on the 19th August.

Which docks will they arrive at?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (21) Previous 1 2 3 421 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average